Author Topic: Scarlet Soaked Sympathy  (Read 31157 times)

Extra Segment "Aqua and the Wavering Doubt"
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 02:34:47 AM »
    The Misty Lake was a lake by the majestic Youkai Mountain.  It's at this lake that many of my friends and I gathered to play.  Normally, there wasn't much to see or do there, but we gathered there anyway.  In the quiet rustling of the nearby trees, we always managed to entertain ourselves.  All this changed when that place arrived.

It was about five years ago.  We were playing like we normally had.  Then, from nowhere, a large red house appeared on an island in the lake.  It was strange and new: strange in its looks and new since it just arrived.  Many of us were curious as to what was inside it and loomed around it to find out.

From within, a tall youkai with red hair stepped out.  She glanced around at the lake and the forest.  After pacing around the house, she looked up at the mountains.  Having rounded the house completely, she went back into the house.  Her appearance renewed the commotion among the other faeries.

"There was a youkai inside."  "O' course!  It wasn't gonna be a human!"  "How many of 'em do you think are in there?"

As the gossiping continued, someone arrived and was waiting in front of the house.  As the noised quieted, three youkai stepped out of the house.  After a bit of talking, the three went back in while the other one left.  Speculations flared.

"There were three!"  "It's too big to have only three."  "Maybe there are more that are still inside?"

The new house remained the hot topic for a few more days.  With no new developments, it lost its novelty and everyone went back to how we normally were like.  It was several more days afterward when the real changes occurred.

A red haired youkai started to stand at the front gate of the large house.  She wasn't doing anything except standing there.  Some of the faeries thought it would be fun to play a prank on her.  After a lot of back and forth banter, one of them decided to go through with the prank.

The prank would be to take the shiny star from her hat.  At one point in the long day, the youkai would fall asleep and that was the golden opportunity to strike.  When the moment came, the game began.  It really was a simple plan.

As the plucky showoff made her approach, the remainder of us watched.  Reaching for the star, the poor faerie was caught.  After a loud struggle, they both were talking quietly about something.  Then, she was carried inside.  We started to worry about what would happen.

It was strange that the youkai took our friend into the house since that never happened before.  Normally, after a prank failed, we got scolded, but that scolding took place at the moment that we were captured.  After waiting for a long time, they came back out and our friend rushed towards us.  We met halfway since we had so many questions to ask.

"Did they punish you?"  "What was it like inside?"  "How many were in there?"

Shaking her head a bit, she said, "I'm gonna be a maid."

We responded unanimously with, "A wha- ?"

"They're looking for maids inside that house," she explained before describing what a maid was, "You get this funny looking dress to wear and gotta do what they say."

Many of the others were thinking of being a maid was like playing a new game, but I couldn't understand why she would agree to that.  It sounded boring and bothersome.

Voicing my doubts, I asked, "Why would you wanna do that?"

Hardly able to contain her enthusiasm, she replied, "You get to stay inside their comfy rooms and they give you food for being a maid."

The others were getting excited at all the things they would get, but I wouldn't be so easily tricked as I made known my suspicion, "That doesn't sound very fun."

My comment stirred agreement from the others, but she only shook her head in response while saying, "They throw lots of fun parties inside, but you can't get in unless you work there."

I could feel the crazed looks from the others at the mention of parties.  I tried my efforts to dissuade my friends.

Gathering my words, I said, "But you'd have to work.  For them!  Like those human that work all day.  That can't be good."

From there, the others were divided between the two choices.  Many of us liked being free to do as we pleased when we pleased; while others felt the maid thing would be fun.  There was a lot of fuss, but in the end, the two groups went their separate ways.

That house made us argue and turn our backs on each other even though we all used to be friends that laughed and played all day, everyday.  After everything settled, those of us that rejected the red house kept to ourselves while the everyone inside the red house really did have lots of parties.

As more of my friends were about to become maids, I tried to stop them, "Why are you going to join them?  To become their pets, and do what they want?  How could you want that for yourself?"

Wincing at my harsh words, one of them managed to reply, "But what else can we do?  It's always the strong ones that have all the fun.  We're just too weak by ourselves."

Feeling all too well, what she was referring to, I spoke reassuringly, "Then we won't be by ourselves.  We should help each other.  We'll show them that we're not weakling that can be pushed around.  We'll show them how strong faeries can be!"

Even though I was the one that rallied everyone together, we still needed someone that was strong to lead us all.  It would be pointless to have just anyone since we wanted to show faerie strength.  After thinking for a bit, I thought of one candidate

With growing confidence, I suggested, "How about-"

Extra Segment "Faerie and the Red Night"
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 02:48:21 AM »
    "Water Sign: Bury in Lake!"

In a flash, the lake surface rose upward and grasped at us.  Aqua, our pillar of strength, was smothered by the rushing torrent and disappeared.  With Cirno still missing, we immediately crumbled into a panic.

In the chaos that ensued, cold beams were propelled and encased many of us within ice cages.  The few that weren't hit were swept by another wave from the lake.  I was among the remainder that didn't get hurt by either.

I called to the others and told them to run.  Against so much power, there was nothing more that could be done.  Although they were hesitant to retreat, they knew full well that we couldn't do anything by ourselves.  So we retreated to the other side of the lake, away from that red house.

After we fled into the forest, I looked around at how many were still with me.  There was still 7 of us.  As I plopped onto the grass, tired from all of the activity, I looked towards the lake.  With its normally calm surface, it was surreal to think that it was from that same lake that the terrifying wave emerged from.  That same beautiful sight that could so quickly erase my friends.  The same water that drowned our hopes for victory.

"Hey!" with a loud cry, one of my friends within the group hit my head with her hand and complained, "You should listen when someone's talking to you."

"You didn't have to hit me," I mumbled while massaging my aching head.

"Well, you didn't listen so I had to get your attention somehow," she protested.

"You have it now," I complained with a sigh, "So what were you saying?"

The tension clouded her eyes as she asked, "What do we do now?"

We were separated from the others as we all ran in different directions.  Thinking it might be best if we reunited somehow, I suggested that we return to our usual place by the tree.  It was an old, worn out tree that sat in the forest near the lake.  It was far enough away to still be safe, but close enough that we could find others.  Without objections, the others agreed and we all went to the old tree together.

Having arrived at the tree, we were greeted by others whom had the same notion as I had.  With more continuing to gather, I happily looked around at all the faces.  Unfortunately, Cirno and Aqua were both still missing.

We waited and waited, but they never returned.  Many of the others began to cry.  Some of them tried to keep their hopes up; repeating to themselves that the others were fine.  With so many of our friends still missing, I was becoming disheartened as well.

Just as I was about to cry, I saw something move closer to us.  I hushed the others and tried to get a closer look.  I wasn't sure why, but the figure looked familiar.  Then the person stopped approaching.

Looking closer, I remembered her red colored clothes from before.  It was that person that Cirno let pass by when we surrounded the magician.  I was certain that it was the same person I was thinking of.  I also remembered that she headed into the large house after the magician did; she probably just came from that direction. I thought that I could ask her if she saw the others since she was so nice before.

After she waited for a moment, she moved in a different direction around us and I followed after her.

Just as I was about to speak up and ask her, she turned around and yelled out, "Who's there!?"  I became so scared that I froze in place.

After she looked around, she threw something into the trees behind me.  With a gentle rustle, the others came from behind the branches.  Did they follow me as I chased after the lady in red?

As I was about to ask the others why they followed me, the lady in red spoke, "It's a really long night...  is there something you need of me?"

The others started to ask each other what they should do.  Some of them also remembered her from before.  They were voicing their panic about how scary she looked.  Even though she was nice before, they were saying it was because Cirno was there, too.  As I was beginning to believe their words, I remembered about why I followed her.

Inching forward, I tried to ask her something, "Um, are you... that is, were you the one that went into that weird house on the lake?"

"Possibly," her stern voice caused me to wince, "What of it?"

Calming myself again, I asked, "Did you happen to see any of the others while you were there?"

"Others?" she echoed as her head was tilted in thought, "I don't remember seeing the others at the mansion."

"Oh, I see.  I'm sorry, for troubling you.  Please, excuse us," I hurriedly apologized.

Trying to hold back my worries, I turned around and headed back to the old tree.  With everything that happened, I couldn't help but wonder what it was all for.  Even now, as we huddled together, it wasn't any different then before.  No matter how many of us there were, we were still weak.  It was something that would never change.

Wiping the tears from my eyes, I told the others what I thought, "I'm gonna become a maid."

End Chapter 1
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 02:55:58 AM »
Quote from: Zer0Axiom
A month and a half worth of time,  25 segments, 4 extras, and a lot of missed sleep later, I'm finished with chapter one.  It doesn't feel particularly special, but I like the notion of achievement.  I think I'm content with how this chapter turned out, but there's always the possibility of me overlooking something.  Please let me know if I missed something.

At any rate, I'd like to thank those of you that have followed this from the beginning.  I hope you look forward to chapter two.  I finally introduce the full cast and develop the story a bit.

So far, the only problem I have is that chapter two starts with a bang, or rather a bloody swath.  With nothing as it seems, I will probably end up with something I don't like.  Regardless, I'll try my best to piece it together in a somewhat coherent fashion for those of you that want to see it.

Try not to get your hopes up too high, chapter two is really uneventful (my story pacing is incredibly slow).

"May you find that which you seek."  Thank you for your time.

P.S.-I'm actually worried about the "faerie" extra I wrote, but maybe it's too soon to fuss over it.

Add in another eight moths and thirteen days of rewriting, and it ends up looking rather disappointing.  Oh, well.  Hopefully, life will be a little more accommodating, in general.

Segment 26 [Remilia] "Prelude to Destruction"
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 03:12:32 AM »
    Within my wandering mind, the clouds parted to show the clustering stars in the still of the darkening sky.  Gazing towards them, I felt a pang of terror.

That sky... have I seen it before?

With a rush, the world before me shifted into something entirely different.  Under the twinkling stars, I witnessed a familiar scene.

Is this... that night?

From my spot in a doorway, I gazed into the commotion.  A group of six men encircled around two little girls.  With a flash, two of the men with daggers in hand rushed at the girls.

In response, one of the girls moved forward to deter the charge.  With a clatter, one of the men tumbled across the ground, trailing blood along the path he had taken.  His neck had been sundered and his severed head landed near his corpse.

The other assailant withdrew in time to spare his life, but had a gash along his arm.  Wiping away the splattered blood from his brow, he exchanged his weapon into his functioning hand.  As he rushed forward again, his blade skimmed the girl's check as she removed his extended arm at the elbow.  With blood pouring form his wounds and anguish consuming his mind, the tall man dropped to his knees while wailing with torment.  He was silenced by a crushing impact to his lowered head.

Brushing her short blue hair and expanding her majestic black wings, that same girl taunted the other men as the second girl cheered.  The second girl, with long golden blond hair, stepped forward as well with the intent to help her sister.

Those two girls were Flandre and I from so long ago.

As two more of the men approached the girls, I took closer watch over the scene.  It wasn't to spot something particular; it was because my mind mimicked the actions of my past.  With the increased focus, my younger self circled one of the men as Flandre engaged the other.

The dreaded moment come closer to repeating as I beckoned the images to stop.  Even though I tried to close my eyes, I still saw the world from my other self.  Even as I quieted my ears, I still heard the beating hearts around me.  Even when I tried to turn and run, my body refused to move.  The pain burned across my body and leveled me onto my knees: that poison had taken effect.

At the time I never would have known; never have guessed; never have realized, how dirty those human could be.  As the my younger self endured the strain, it reciprocated within me.  Struggling with all my might, their poison had taken root into my body and drained me of my strength.

Flandre, having punched a hole into the chest of the man that faced her, turned her attention to the younger me that struggled to stand.

No!  Don't look away!

She took a slight step towards her weakened sister.

Turn around!  Behind you!

As the younger me turned towards Flandre, my vision took sight of that dreaded sequence.  No matter what I thought; no matter what I tried; no matter how I wished, that same thing occurred.

"Flandre!"

The painful moment when that looming shadow enveloped my sister; that shining metal that cut at her head; that pool of blood that formed from her wound, it replayed with such intensity, that my mind shattered.

From the serene light, my eyes opened.  Covered in sweat, I lifted myself into a seated position.

Calming my hastened heart, I whispered to myself, "... it was just a dream... it was only a dream..."

But I knew better: that dream was the truth of the past.  It was a burden that lingered within my consciousness.

Raising my hand upon my brow, I muttered, "How long has it been... since I've seen it last?"

As I felt the piercing ripple from my memories again, I took closer notice of my surroundings.

Gathering my composure, I commanded, "Enter."

With a clatter, my chamber's door opened then closed.  Taking light steps, a maid with shimmering silver hair and tranquil blue eyes greeted me; it was Sakuya.

A saddened demeanor clouded her normally smiling face as she apologized, "I didn't mean to disturb your rest, Madame."

"I have many plans today, Sakuya," I informed the now confused maid, "We'll be very busy soon."

Returning to her vivid smile, Sakuya curtsied and replied, "Understood, Madame."

There was something important that I needed her to do, and after explaining the details, I emphasized, "Don't tell Patchouli."

I could imagine her concerns and doubts, but Sakuya did not refuse.  Satisfied that she understood, I continued with my plans.

The next phase of my plan would take me to the shrine that housed the miko that I conceded defeat to several nights ago.  I arrived to spot a favorable scene: Reimu was not alone.  She was with her constant companion Marisa.

"This might be better than I could have hoped for," I whispered to myself.   Landing a fair distance away, I awaited for an appropriate time to make my entrance.

"... it's hot... it's burning... I'm gonna die here," Marisa complained.

"If you die," Reimu retorted, "I'll feed your corpse to the birds."

Finding a convenient topic immediately, I interceded, "Incidentally, it'll be fine if you let me take care of that."

Taking notice of my presence, Marisa sat upright and remarked, "That's a definite no."

Taking a seat next to the complaining witch, I smiled at her and received a stifled smile in reply.  While shuffling herself away, she asked, "Is it alright to leave your house so much?"

"I left it to Sakuya so it's fine," I explained.

"Chances are it's not fine so go home, now!" Reimu chided.  Then, as if taking cue from Reimu's words, a thunderclap echoed across the sky.  As we looked towards the thunder's cry, she commented, "A shower, huh?"

"Unusual at this time," Marisa added.

"That's bad," I said in a complaining fashion, "I can't walk in the rain."

With a snide smile, the little witch sneered as if to spite the miko, "Yeah, too bad."

As we sat there, the clouded sky never came.  In the few moments the had passed, even the two of them understood that it was not ordinary.  The turbulent storm hung over a single area of Gensokyo.

"Oh?" I remarked, "It seems the rain is only falling around my vicinity."

"Looks that way," Reimu confirmed.  With an uninterested gaze, she added, "Maybe it's been cursed?"

"It was already cursed," Marisa countered.

"This is troublesome," I sighed with a hand over my cheek, "With things as they are, I can't possibly return home."

"Or maybe they made it so you can't head home?" the miko mused.

Laughing heartily, Marisa jeered,"You've finally been kicked out!"

With a pout, I objected, "Rather than making a situation where I can't go home, it's more like-"

"Making a situation where something can't get out?" the witch concluded.

Rejecting the explanation, Reimu retorted, "You've been kicked out after all."

Deciding to redirect the interests of the others, I stated, "Either way, I can't go back.  Oh, whatever shall I do about my meals?"

"Can't be helped then," the miko remarked as she put down her cup of tea, "I'll go check it out."

The energetic witch cheered, "Sounds fun!"

Having been left to look after the shrine, I moved into the shade of the housing and took a seat at the table.  Resting my head down, I decided that I'd take the opportunity to catch up on my sleep.

"It'll be a while yet before my presence is required."

Segment 27 [Meiling] "Resolution and Destruction"
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2009, 03:22:44 AM »
    Diligence is a state of mind that enables one to complete their task with consistency.  With it, one has the focus that permits oneself to be firm and attentive.  This state is imperative for one, such as I, to keep at all times.

How I wish it were that easy.

With the shielding mist gone from overhead, I was returned under the full duress of the oppressive force that was the sun.  It smothered me in a dreadful surge of radiance that could meet no equal.  This feeling of exhaustion, it eclipsed my discipline.

With a hand over my brow, I sighed, "How am I to keep this up alone?"

"You've done well enough, thus far, alone," a voice responded to my complaint from behind me.

My body stiffened in response as I spun around to greet the voice's owner, "Good morning, Madame.  I am not worthy of your words."

Dressed in her elegant white dress with red lace linings, Madame Remilia smiled at me.  With her stunning dress, pristine smile, and pale complexion, she would have been a walking vision hazard that reflected the relentless light if not for her parasol.  Actually, I was squinting to see clearly with her large parasol held at my eye's level; I suppose that makes her a hazard, regardless.

In a soft voice expected of a refined lady, Madame mused, "It is a good morning, isn't it?"

"I would open the gates for you, but they are..." I rambled only to have my voice trail off.

Since the last battle, the gate's doors had to be removed and replacements needed to be ordered.  These processes were neither simple nor quick.  In order to remove the damaged metal from its bindings, the barrier had to be removed.  In addition, the replacement would not be finished until another two months' time.  In that time, the barrier would remain down; leaving me as the sole patrol for the entire circumference of the mansion.

"Are you still depressed about that?" Madame remarked with a sense of irritability in her words.  With a slight sigh, she added, "You mustn't keep fussing over such a petty detail; that's what Patchouli is for.  You are here to keep watch, or am I mistaken?"

Her words crushed at my grief.  Indeed, I had not been fulfilling my duty.  With this new realization, I felt a renewed urge: I shall not disappoint Madame, again.

Voicing my resolve, I stated, "You are not mistaken, Madame.  I shall keep watch as long as is necessary."

Satisfied with my response, Madame continued on her way.  From my post, I bowed as she left, saying as I always have, "May you be well on your venture."

In solitude once more, I sighed heavily to the relief of nothing, "...this is hard..."

In the shimmer of summer, I always had the most difficult time in keeping myself focused to my duties.  I suspect it had something to do with the sinister heat that lingers in the rising mist.  By early afternoon, the lake was covered in a cloud of mist that earned it the name Misty Lake.  This mist was neither soft nor gentle.  It carried the oppressive strength of the sun overhead, only amplified exponentially.

"Still, I cannot submit to weakness," I said to fight off my complacency, "Come rain or shine, I shall stand watch as Madame wishes of me!"

In ironic coincidence, the sky flared with lightning and carried its thunderous cry throughout the area.  Startled at the abrupt change, I turned towards the lingering flash as a reflex.  Frowning at the weather hazard that had appeared, I simply turned back to face the roadway.

As I awaited for the imminent downpour that would surround me, I wondered if Madame had taken shelter.  Thinking of few hospitable possibilities, I realized that the storm remained stationary.  It hung over the mansion and nowhere else.

Panic made its descent as I feared the worst: it was that time.  I struggled with my thoughts as I debated abandoning my post to assist.  With Madame away, there were few remaining within the mansion that could settle this matter successfully; in fact, I was the only other person to have successfully done so after Madame.

As the doubts clawed at my resolve, I heard a voice from behind me, "What's the meaning of this freak weather!?"

I turned my attention to the voice and found it was the miko with her witch companion at her side.

"What are you doing here!?" I addressed to the witch, "I have no time to be dealing with you!"

"I'm here to stop the weather," she explained.

My stance began to lose its integrity as I pondered the meaning of her words, "Does that mean that Madame-"

"We're both here because of her," the miko clarified, "Now let us through so we can get this settled."

As I recalled the fact that the miko had defeated Madame, I allowed them to pass onto the grounds.  Satisfied in the acknowledgment, the witch smile victoriously as the two headed towards the mansion.

Alone once more, I asked aloud, "Is this also part of your wishes, Madame?"

Shaking away my doubts, I reaffirmed my resolve, "Even if all else should fail, I shall stand watch at my post and defend it from..."

Segment 28 "Meeting with Destruction"
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 06:34:15 PM »
    Normalcy had made its triumphant return to Gensokyo.  Having been freed of the haunting red clouds, the bright sun shone its unyielding radiance upon the land and all under its gaze.  The sweltering of the summer's day was felt everywhere; as it should.  Even so, there was an ominous air that lingered around the Scarlet Devil's mansion.  A premature rainstorm was drowning the structure and refused to move.  Certain that "foul play" was at hand, the ever vigilant Hakurei Miko strode forth to pacify the "predicament" that the home was under.

Having passed the front gate, Reimu and Marisa raced through the garden and reached the front doors.  Straining their clothes of the drenched rains, the two made their entrance.  What met them within the expansive mansion was utter chaos; there was no other way to put it.

Faeries were drifting about at top speeds, crashing into each other while screaming incoherently.  Several others remained in their place as they shivered, unable to even move for cover.  In all the commotion, one thing was made clear: Patchouli had ordered a search.

Even when the two confused human tried to interrogate the faeries, they instead received hysterical wailing.  Unable to comprehend the full situation, the two decided to search for themselves.  Agreeing to split up and cover more ground, the two girls followed the same routes they had taken on their previous adventure.

With all the trauma stricken faeries, Reimu had difficulty in simply traveling down the otherwise roomy hallways.  Finding precious moments being lost to the delay, she opened fire upon any unfortunate souls that stood in her path.  Continuing her search, she made her way into the main foyer and took notice of the person she had sought after: Patchouli Knowledge.

"You up there!" she called, "What are you trying to do!?"

"What is it?" Patchouli responded as she realized who had called out to her, "You?!  Again?!"

Having drawn the culprit's attention, Reimu declared, "We're here to stop your annoying rains!"

"I haven't the time to-" Patchouli stopped mid-statement.  With a widening glare, she asked, "'We' as in you and-"

"Marisa," Reimu answered, "Don't think you're going to ge-"

"Quickly, Sol!" the panicked magician exclaimed, "The library!"

"-et... a-way...  ?"

Having been interrupted and ignored, Reimu was about to give chase until she realized what the sudden departure meant.  With a sigh, she mused, "Those magicians and their reading materials."

Although the two human girls had different interests, one of the things that Marisa would ramble endlessly to Reimu about was the different books that she had just read.  From the simplest story to the most overly intricate philosophy, Marisa spared no detail in recanting her new learning to Reimu with absolute zeal.  Of course, Reimu didn't share the sentiment and spent the time ignoring Marisa.

"Good luck, Marisa," Reimu cheered quietly as she made her way towards the eventual battle's site.

Approaching the door with a sneeze, Reimu suddenly felt an ominous presence nearby.  Readying her tools, she called out to the unnatural silence, "Who's there!?"

With a loud clatter, the immovable dividing doors at the center of the foyer and lobby slid apart.  From the other side of the doors, a small girl stood with an energetic smile.

Leaping through the doorway, she announced, "Here I am!"

Shorter than Marisa in stature, this new girl was no less poignant in her presentation.  Her blond hair matched the recurring theme of spasmodic annoyances that had carried itself thus far.  Her skirt and vest were red in color and short in lengths.  Her hair was tied on her left side into a long ponytail as a fluffy hat capped the top of her head, similarly to some of the others within the household.  The gaudy frills and lace of her clothes were eclipsed by the accessories that the small girl carried.

Immediately, one would take notice of her large, black, wing-like frames that reached out from behind her.  Their simple shape was made bizarre by the crystalline objects that decorated them.  Along each wing was a cascade of colors that mimicked a rainbow that carried away from the girl's shoulders to the tip of the frame.

Reimu was left exasperated.  "Why are they getting stranger?" she asked herself.  Returning to her stern glare, Reimu asked the new girl, "You weren't here last time I came, were you?  Who are you?"

Laughing gleefully, the little girl said, "I was here, but you never saw me.  My turn!  Are you a human?"

Feeling as if she had been reeled into a young child's game, Reimu indulged the girl with an answer, "That's right, I'm human."

Before Reimu had a chance to return with a question, the girl continued, "You're not trying to trick me, are you?  I've never seen human as anything but a drink."

Blocking out the mental image of a freshly squeezed human drink, Reimu replied, "I really am a human.  We tend to be more complicated then tea, most anyway."

"But chickens," the girl said abruptly, "Are still tasty, even if you can't cook them."

Further disturbed by the complacent conversationalist, Reimu asked, "Who makes the food here, anyway?"

"I don't know.  I don't think Sister does, at least," the girl replied while looking as if she was deep in thought.

Reimu thought of any possible individuals that might have shared familial relations with this strange girl.  Speaking the first name that came to mind, she continued, "Replica, the Devil?"

"Remilia!" the girl corrected, "Remilia, my sister!"

"Yeah," Reimu stated in a condescending tone, "I don't think she cooks."

"She doesn't," the girl agreed.

"By the way," Reimu said, "There was something I wanted to tell you."  With the girl gazing in curiosity, Reimu added, "That sister of yours has been visiting my shrine and is being an all-round nuisance.  Can't you do something about her?"

"I know!" the girl pouted, "I wanted to go, too!"

Feeling as though her complaints were cast upon deaf ears, Reimu interjected, "Don't."

"I couldn't!" the girl was visibly irritated,  "It's raining too hard!"

"That's pretty bad, have you done anything to deserve this?" Reimu was beginning to understand that this girl was the real "cause" for the rainstorm to appear.

"I couldn't have!  I've never been out for 495 years!" the girl answered, which threw off Reimu's thinking.  Without a moment's pause, the girl rambled, "Say, do you mind playing with me for a bit?"

Thinking that a little playtime would calm this storm's approach, Reimu asked, "What game did you have in mind?"

With a wide smile, the girl replied, "Danmaku!"
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:18:51 PM by Zer0Axiom »

Segment 29 [Marisa] "Distraction from Destruction"
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 06:44:25 PM »
    "What the-"

Within the overly large mansion, Reimu and I found a rather disturbing sight.  The faerie maids were dashing about as they crashed into each other.  Some of them were huddled into small balls as they muttered to themselves.  As we gazed at the debacle, ... I can't even think of anything to say; it was just mind boggling.

Reimu was intent on finding the reason for the madness.  As she approached one of the faeries, she interrogated it about the panic, "Hey!  What's-"

"Waaaahh!!"  "Eeeeiii!!"  "Nnnmmm..."

Instead of a coherent response, she received mindless wailing that chained consecutively from the nearby faeries.  In the sudden outcry, Reimu and I backed away from the gathering as we recoiled from the deafening noise.

Taking notice of our presence, one of the more lucid maids approached us and said, "I'm sorry, but could you come back at a different time.  Patchouli-sama has ordered a barricade and search of the premise.  We can't accommodate guests at this moment in time.  If you'll excuse me,"  and with a quick bow, she raced off into the chaotic cluster.

"Hear that?" I asked Reimu.

With a slight nod, she suggested, "Split up?"

"Okay," I agreed and we headed down the paths that we took on our first time visiting.

Surprisingly, the halls were emptier than I had initially imagined.  The further I went, the quieter it became.  Certain that I was on the right path, I rounded the corner and came to the library's doors.  Palming my face, I recalled the rather obvious fact that Patchouli-sama spent all of her time in the library.

"What better place to look for her then here?" I concluded.

With a loud bang, I kicked open the doors and made my dynamic entrance, "I'm here so show yourself!"

Silence.  Nothing appeared and nothing stirred.  The room was empty and I felt completely embarrassed with myself for the idiotic display.

"At least no one saw that," I reasoned to console myself.

Thinking back to what was said, I remembered that there was also a search in place.

"Does that mean this place will be empty for a while?" I mused while trying to contain my desires as my blood came to a boil, "No, I have important- forget that!  Books, here I come!"

I submitted to my will and proceeded to pillage the vast collection of bound text.  As I reached for a particularly large volume, I felt a sudden force propel me away.  Regaining my composure, I was greeted with another impact across my face.

Finding myself under siege, I fled to the shelf top in an attempt to better locate the assailant.

As my attacker came into view, I called out, "Hey!  You're-"

"You won't beat me this time!" she claimed while cutting off my words with a magic blast.

It was the youkai that I encountered alongside the powerful pyromaniac.  After the tea party, I don't think I was ever properly introduced to her; but whatever.  Our last battle ended when my Master Spark put her down, I even went through the trouble of catching her out of a lethal downfall.  Is this how these people repay favors?  Well, to be fair, I guess she would never have known about that last part since she was unconscious, but it still wasn't very nice.

Gritting my teeth, I circled around her magic and kept watch over our positions.  She was a close range fighting type, and I didn't want to have to go through with the bruising again.  As I maintained our distance, she disappeared from my line of sight.  Before I could search for her, I was nailed with a sharp kick from behind.

Coughing from the impact, I muttered to myself, "No one plays fair here."

Taking offense in my remark, the youkai yelled, "You're the one that's isn't fair!  Don't think your cheap tricks will work this time!"

"Not my fault you let your guard down!" I retorted; our exchange was really petty, but anything was better then being pummeled.

She snarled at my words then rushed forward while releasing another barrage of magic.  This time, I would keep better focus; her teleporting trick would only catch me once, no more.  After reflecting on it again, I suppose this was why that vampire made that strange specification during our match, but I digress.

As the battle raged on, I found that my attentive focus was giving a fair benefit to success.  It was only simple enough since the youkai appeared behind me each time she teleported.  Continuing our back and forth exchange, I parried her attack with my newly reinforced broom and repelled her back.  With the girl a fair distance away, I unleashed a shower of missiles and maneuvered across the shelf top.

The youkai kept her pattern with embarrassing dedication.  As I was beginning to wonder about why she would be so persistent, I suddenly remembered the pyromaniac; she should be approaching soon.  If my intuition was to be correct, this girl was making me waste my energy and concentration by being monotonous in her activities.  I would let my guard down and be overpowered by the sudden magical bombardment.

As I was thinking about how weak that type of plan was, I heard the youkai call out to someone, "Professor!"

Surprised at the outburst, I turned my attention towards her line of sight and found the pyromaniac, Patchouli.

Standing over the balcony's ledge, she grumbled, "I haven't the time for you; but since you're here, I'll deal with you first."

With a slight nod, the other youkai resumed her attack on me while Patchouli chanted her spell.

"I guess they really don't play fair here," with that thought in mind, I tried to fight the youkai back while anticipating an opportunity to test out my new weapon.

As the youkai teleported, I assumed she would follow her previous attack pattern.  I stepped forward and spun on my heels to turn around only to find the youkai at my side.  I slipped off of my feet and managed to dodge her attack, but continued to tumble as she chased me.  Now in a complete scramble, I was stumbling about just to keep from being hit.  Swinging my broom, I tripped her feet in time for Patchouli to complete her spell.

"Moon Sign: Silent Selene!"
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:53:41 PM by Zer0Axiom »

Segment 30 [Sol] "Encounter With Destruction"
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 06:52:41 PM »
    In the eve of the Scarlet Mist Incident, I was awaken to a prominent fact: there are things in this world that I am simply afraid of.  In the chaotic struggle of the night, I was confronted with the prospect of losing everything that held meaning to me.  Even as I reflect on it, I understand now that there were still many things that I had yet to understand.

The night ended without incident.  It wasn't until late noon the next day that I had awoken to hear of the news.  It was depressing to think that someone was able to defeat Madame.  More so then that, I had lost to both intruders of the evening.  To top off the troubles, the one dressed in black saw fit to stay the night and return the following days.  She has been overly bothersome in her escapades to borrow from the library.

After failing to chase her away on one incident, the Professor decided to give me an accessory that would help in my efforts to fend off the unwanted guest: a small onyx brooch.  From what I understood of the explanation, the brooch acted as a focal point to enable better concentration.  She hoped that I would be able to use it to better achieve my potential, I think.

After testing it for a bit, I felt that it had indeed improved my abilities.  I hadn't realized I was capable of so much.  There was still more testing that needed to be done, but the Professor told me to take a short break so I headed off to rest a bit.  It was then that I encountered fear beyond doubt: Madame's younger sister was standing in the hall.

There had been many roaming stories about her and what she could do.  Among the tales was that she could eviscerate you with a passing thought. Another was that she was kept locked within the basement because no one could control her, including herself.  The many stories couldn't be confirmed since she wasn't ever allowed out.

It was undeniable that the person I saw was she; one glance told all.  On her back was an array of crystal shards attached to one of two long metallic stems that reached from her back.  There wasn't a single person with such a bizarre appendage except for Madame's younger sister.  As that realization came to me, I froze into panic.

Here she was, the embodiment of destruction, and I was standing within ten meters of her watchful eyes.  The same eyes that seemed to rend my soul and hollow my mind.  I could feel my knees give way as instinct took over my actions.  I shifted right next the Professor's seat in the library.

"Professor!" was all I could mutter coherently.  I was gasping wildly and waving my hands hysterically.  I tried my best to return to a manageable level of terror.

"What is with you?" the Professor demanded.

Shaking away my panic, I answered, "Madame... sister... hall... now!"

I think the Professor understood the reason for my panic since her eyes shot me with a look of shock like none I've ever seen.  She raced to one of the other tables and a book on that table made its approach to her.  As I was wondering what I could do to help, she recited a spell with masterful speed and I felt a tremor of thunder at the spell's conclusion.  The Professor had called for a storm.

I was at a loss as to what the rain was for, but then I remembered that vampires couldn't move through rain.  It was a brilliant plan and I felt relieved until I made another realization: we were stuck here with her.

There was much debate over what to do between the Professor and Sakuya.  With Madame away from the mansion, there was no one left who could keep Madame's younger sister calm.  In the course of the discussion, I came to the conclusion that her name was Flandre and that she really was capable of reducing others into nothing with the passing of a thought.  I was shivering to the point that I could no longer stand straight.

While slumping into a nearby chair, I muttered to myself, "Even if we knew where she was, what could we do about her?"

Taking ear of my words, the Professor exclaimed, "That's right, where is she?!  Quickly, have the other maids aid in the search!  We need to find out where she's hiding.  And go inform Remilia! I'll undo the spell to let her in.  Quickly!  We haven't a moment to spare!"

The orders were made clear, but the reasons why were never stated.  I didn't understand what our search was suppose to uncover.  Even if we managed to find her, she could escape again since no one was fast enough to catch her.

In the futility of our search, I heard a voice call out, "You up there!  What are you trying to do?"

"What is it?" the Professor responded as she identified whom had called out to her, "You?!  Again?!"

It was one of the intruders from the prior incident.  The one dressed in red and white that managed to defeat Madame.  As I was pondering over that fact, she declared, "We're here to stop your annoying rains!"

"I haven't the time to-" the Professor paused as if she realized something that was forgotten.  With an ever-widening glare, she continued, "'We' as in you and-"

The intruder answered, "Marisa.  Don't think you're going to ge-"

"Quickly, Sol!  The library!" the Professor exclaimed with panic.

That was all I needed to hear.  I shifted myself to the library and arrived in time to spot the black garbed magician circle towards a shelf.  I closed in on her and prepared myself to drive her away.

After I attacked her, she realized she was being chased.  Finally turning her attention to me, she said, "Hey!  You're-"

I didn't want to hear what she had to say.  Instead of allowing her to finish her words, I interjected with an attack as I declared, "You won't beat me this time!"

She tried to keep herself away from me as I tried to approach.  She probably thought that I couldn't get close enough to attack if she stayed well enough away, but she was mistaken.  I used my shift magic and appeared behind her.  In her panic, I managed a clean kick into her side.

With a cough, she cried out, "No one plays fair here."

Hearing her mention fair in a battle was an insult, particularly because she was a thief and not some venerable visitor.  Watching my words, I called back, "You're the one that's isn't fair!  Don't think your cheap tricks will work this time!"

"Not my fault you let your guard down!"

There was truth in her words, but I didn't let that consume me.  It was my lapse in judgment that resulted in my defeat during our previous encounter, and I wasn't going to repeat that.  With the same approach, I shifted behind her.  I understood that there needed to be more variety in my plan if I was going to be successful, but I was trying to use this repetitive assault to break her awareness.  I just needed enough time before the Professor's arrival.

Even as I attacked her, I could feel a definite amount of strength in her defense.  Not only was she able to repel my attacks, she did so without losing her own offensive momentum.  It was disheartening to think that this human could be so capable as to fight me equally in close quarters combat.  As I tried to refocus my thoughts, I noticed the Professor's arrival.

With all eyes on the Professor, she stated to the unwelcome intruder, "I haven't the time for you, but since you're here, I'll deal with you first."

With a slight nod, I continued my charge as the Professor chanted her spell.

"I guess they really don't play fair here," the thief complained.

Even if it wasn't fair, she wasn't worthy of honorable acknowledgment.  Taking a different approach, I appeared to her side and caught her off guard.  In the preceding struggle of me chasing and her escaping, she managed to trip me off of my feet just when the Professor completed her spell.

Segment 31 "Chaos and Destruction"
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »

With Patchouli's spell in effect, a multitude of shimmering energy took form as it rained down upon the battlefield.  The energy scattered in a hastened manner with columns forming from behind Patchouli.  As the trailing columns redirected towards Marisa, Sol took charge for her target.

Even with the many hazards in her way, Sol made ready her assault.  Within the realm of the Silent Selene, the struggle of battle would not be lightened.  She knew how dangerous it would be, but she felt compelled to gamble her safety.  It would be all for her Professor.

With all the magic that filled the room, Marisa had her hands full and was almost struck by Sol's reckless onslaught.  Being pinned by the surprise attacks, Marisa was unsuccessful in repelling the vigilant youkai.  Receiving a sharp cut from Silent Selene's light, Marisa activated her own spell card.

"Magic Sign: Stardust Reverie!"

With the cover of her stars, Marisa made ready her preparations to test her new weapon.  Charging at the youkai on the shelf, she tackled her with her broom before rounding back for a second charge; all to measure her "teleportation" skill.

The spell card's invocation halted Sol's attacks as she maneuvered away.  Taking caution with the approaching stars, she was distracted from Marisa's ploy.  Startled that the small magician would launch a counterattack during the bomb, Sol was tackled and tumbled across the shelf.  Reeling from the surprise, she shifted away from a second charge.

With both spells diminishing, the two resumed their brawl as Patchouli began chanting another spell.  Observing the push and pull of the other participants, she felt an odd sensation, but tried to disregard it.  Her full efforts were needed for the battle; all other thoughts would need to wait until a more accommodating time.

As Marisa struggled to hold her ground, she put her plan into motion.  Activating her Stardust Reverie a second time, she waited as her opponent moved away.  Charging forward with the full intent of being dodged, she spun around in time to throw a small vial at her calculated location.  As a final stroke to her masterpiece plan, she launched a missile and shattered the vial mid-toss.

Sol took notice of the shielded charge from Marisa.  Shifting away from the attack, she was caught into Marisa's ploy.  The shattered vial released a cloud of magical residence that enveloped her senses.  Shifting away once more, she shook off the fear of the chemical's contents as she readied her retaliation.  At that moment, she could feel her strength fade from her body.  Collapsing onto the shelf, her consciousness drifted from her mind.

"Success!" Marisa cheered, content with her results.

Within the vial was a new potion that she had developed to ward off the irritating forces that might interfere with her grander plans.  Inducing a state of hibernation upon its target, the subject would continue sleeping for a variable of two hours.  Judging from the immediate effects, there was nothing her victims could do to resist the concoction and that was all she needed to know.

Marisa's jubilant cheering was cut short as Patchouli concluded her invocation, "Sun Sign: Royal Flare!"

From the center of the room, a large amassing of magic shaped into a ball and began to spiral with outstretching trails of fiery energy.  The center then filled in with another burst of magic that repeated the cycle.

"Cause it wouldn't do to be without fire somewhere," Marisa sneered with an unreceived joke.

Taking flight to better avoid the numerous flares, Marisa managed to keep herself relatively safe from the encroaching waves of heat and fire.  With the spell approaching its declination, the two magicians were at a standstill.

"What next?" they each thought.

Taking the initiative, Patchouli used another spell card, "Elemental Sign: Philosopher's Stone!"

From the spell, a formation of five large crystalline objects took shape.  The magical prisms revolved around their creator as Patchouli made her descent onto a shelf top.  She made it apparent that she would not back away from the battle against Marisa.

"So she doesn't need incantations to use spells!" Marisa mused with obvious exaggeration.

"Take humor if it pleases you," Patchouli retorted, "However!  You will not be so inclined to think so lightly of me after witnessing my power."

"Ya' dun say?" Marisa mocked.

"So I did," Patchouli was not mindful of the critical tone, "Behold then, my- !"

Without notice, she dropped to the shelf top.  Her cherished book tumbled over its edge and fell into the abyss below.  The purple haired magician moved her hands upon her chest as she wheezed with growing intensity.  She was in the grips of her asthma.

Marisa was in more shock than Patchouli.  She had never encountered such a display of contortion and unpleasant gasping.  She mimicked Patchouli's gesture with a hand upon her chest as she winced at the sharp sounds of air being exhaled from Patchouli; each breathe expelled immediately after being drawn.

"H-hey!  You alright?" Marisa asked in an attempt to dispel her panic, but the lack of an audible response did little to placate her concerns.

Just then, one of the prisms ruptured into a spray of magic.  The rain of magic fell woefully onto the ailing magician in a horrific display of torment, but no cry of pain was made; only her continued struggle to breathe.  Without pause, a second prism shattered and repeated the traumatic display.  Solidifying her resolve, Marisa charged forward as the third prism collapsed.  Arriving in time to rush the magician away from the fourth outbreak, Marisa could feel Patchouli's breathing return to a more normalized pace.

Turning her attention to the injured Patchouli, she asked, "You okay now?"

With a nod, Patchouli gruffly stated, "... well... thanks..."

Receiving Marisa's hearty smile, she put her hand on Marisa's chest, "... farewell..."

Behind Marisa, the fifth crystal exploded and drove its power into Marisa's back as Patchouli released a burst of magic into her chest.  Caught in the vice grip force, Marisa sputtered and collapsed over a shelf.  Landing with a tumble, Patchouli came to a stop near the edge of the shelf before her breathing eventually stabilized, allowing her to return to her feet.

After recollecting her composure, Patchouli reflected on the incident, "Such an inopportune time to receive an undeniable opportunity.  Although I'm grateful for your assistance, we are still opponents."

"However, what's more curious is your concoction," she mused as she paced across to where Sol lay.  As she examined the shelf, Patchouli noticed a faint shimmer, she remarked, "... there's still some here?"

In a glass shard next to Sol was a small amount of liquid.  There was little doubt that it was the same chemical that Marisa had used.  Careful in collecting the sample, Patchouli had one of her books deliver it to her workstation for future research.  After glancing over to the fallen magician, she turned her attention forward to the main building.  The day's battle had yet to truly be won.

Segment 32 [Flandre] "Insight From Destruction"
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 11:41:10 PM »
    "A~a~a~ah..., I yawned.

It was just an ordinary yawn, I was bored like always.  I was sitting in my unlit chamber in the lower level of Sister's home.  I chose this spot because it's nice and dark here.  I don't like the bright rooms upstairs; I liked the dark.  Even then, there wasn't much to do.  Like always, I felt like sleeping.  It was around then when I noticed some new person inside the mansion.

At first, I didn't think much of it; there was always someone new at one point or another.  However, things were different with this one.  Normally, the newcomer would wait in the lobby for someone like Sakuya to go and talk to them.  Oh, Sakuya's one of the maids here.  The maids all work for Sister with Sakuya being the busiest.

Anyway, this new person decided to head into the northern hall, which was pretty close to where I was.  Before getting too close, it stopped and went into the library.  Then, there was a loud noise.  I hadn't expected something like that to occur so I was curious as to what it was.  I stealthily crept into the library and tried to watch what was happening.

Inside, I found Patchouli was fighting with a person that I'd never seen before.  This person was wearing a lot of black, like she was some kinda thief.  She also had a really big hat and an odd broom.  She was rather strange looking.

Oh, and Patchouli is someone who works for sister, too, but she wasn't a maid.  She has lots of strange books and is in the library almost all the time; keeping it organized and quiet.  That's why it seemed so odd for there to be noise coming from there because Patchouli wouldn't let there be anything noisy inside the library.

At any rate, the two of them were fighting and it looked like that new person couldn't even fight back.  While I continued watching, I noticed Patchouli stop before her final attack was about to hit.  After some talking, the new person won.  I didn't think it would have ended like that since Patchouli was really powerful, but it did.  Just then, Other One came to Patchouli's rescue.

Other One's someone that Patchouli took in.  Sister didn't mind so she stayed here like everyone else.  I call her "Other One" because Patchouli named her; Sakuya, Patchouli, and I were all named by sister.  I probably should take the time to mention that there's also "Strong One" that stand outside all day and night, or most of it at least.  So remember, there's Strong One and Other One!

Going back to the story, Other One was fighting with the new person.  It ended very quickly when that new person used a very bright, very power blast of some kind.  It was very loud, too.  After she left, I was curious as to what to do.  Other One wasn't looking too good, and Patchouli was sleeping.

Since I was worried about what was happening, I tried to wake Patchouli up without being spotted.  She eventually got up.  After awhile, she received a "report" from one of her books and went to where Other One was.  I heard that there was still trouble where Strong One was, but I didn't want to go out there.  I decided to stay in my room even though I was worried; I didn't want to go outside.

Either way, the commotion eventually ended and all that.  To heard that there was a different person that was there who beat Sister in a fight, it just sounds odd.  Yeah, that was all of it.  So why did Sister want me to tell you about what I saw?"

I was curious to know after having recalled all of what I saw during the noisy night that Sister's mist was still all around.

"Madame was worried about you and wanted to know how you felt," was the reply that I received.

"But to ask about what I knew about the others, too?  Even about you, Sakuya?  It sounds suspicious to me..."

The person I was speaking with was Sakuya, Sister's favorite maid.  She was tall and slender and was always working.  Even now as she asked about what I remembered, she had also brought me lunch.

With her the normally unchanging smile on her face, she explained, "And that was why Madame was so embarrassed to mention it until now."

"So what's so different about now?" I asked with a bit a skepticism.

"Madame found an interesting person she wanted to introduce to you.  She was hoping that you would join her in her visit, but she has been very shy about the whole ordeal."

Sister always had trouble saying what she wanted, even though she knew what she wanted so well.  In disbelief over what to think, I asked, "Sister wants me to join her... outside?"

"That's right.  She said it would be fine, but she's worried that you would turn her down.  She's been fussing about it for a while now."

I was strongly enticed at being with Sister, but I was still hesitant to go outside.  Uncertain as to what to think, I asked, "Where is she now?"

"She went ahead, but she still wants you to go outside with her."

"I didn't know Sister felt that way..."

"If you'll excuse me, I'll be taking my leave."

It didn't feel very real, that Sister would want me to go outside.  I was surprised to heard that, and I wanted to go, "But... outside is so...  I really don't want to go... but Sister wants me to go... so do I go?"

I wasn't sure of what I wanted to do, but I knew I wanted to be with Sister.  I gathered my courage and went ahead, to be with Sister.  I opened the door and greeted the bright hallway.

Segment 33 "Dancing With Destruction"
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 11:53:26 PM »
    Within summer's peaceful day brewed a violent storm.  From this storm grew a calm.  Amongst the calm, another storm awaited its moment.  With the frivolity of a fallen leaf, the Hakurei Miko strove to bring the calm to the entirety of Gensokyo as she faced a storm that had yet to arrive.

"Danmaku, hm?" Reimu mused, "Well, I'm pretty good at making patterns."

With an energetic cheer, the small girl raced to the side of the foyer across from Reimu.  With a sudden exclamation, the girl paused and turned around.

"Almost forgot..." she muttered before she regained her composure by coughing once and then announced, "I am Flandre Scarlet, and I hereby declare battle!"

Taking humor in the serious display, Reimu laughed lightly, "I'm Reimu, and I acknowledge the battle by spell cards.  How many were you planning on using?"

Glancing down to her hands, Flandre then raised both palms forward as she replied, "Ten!"

Having her line of thought derailed again, Reimu coughed once to regain her own composure.  With a slight sigh, she said, "I'll use five."

"Okay, you get five while I'll use ten," Flandre confirmed while still bearing a serious appearance.  Following a momentary pause, her expression dropped as she blankly asked, "Was that all?"

Shielding her smile, Reimu replied, "Pretty much.  You may begin when ready."

"Oh," Flandre mused.  She didn't really understand the reasoning to the pointless formalities, but she didn't let that stall her.  With a fiery cheer, she declared, "Then, I'll begin!"

With her command, the foyer was enclosed with a magical presence.  As the barriers took form, Reimu made ready her talismans as Flandre prepared her magic.  With a sly smirk, Flandre opened the duel with a surge of magic.  The energy carried across the foyer in waves as Reimu glided between the ripples.  Reimu was surprised that Flandre didn't bother with aiming or waiting.  Shortly after the battle began, Flandre announced her first spell card.

"Taboo: Cranberry Trap!"

With the sudden declaration, Reimu was on guard for the trap, but was confused as Flandre remained still while giggling casually.  Before Reimu could think of what was in store for her, her instincts moved her away in time for a magical burst to graze by.  From around her, magic was pouring forth while Flandre continued her giggling.

"I didn't miss something, did I?  In the short instance from her call to the attack's manifestation,  she didn't move a bit.  How could she be attacking like that?" Reimu's confusion flourished as Flandre's Cranberry Trap rained magic independently of Flandre.

Taking the surprise with stride, Reimu concluded that the trap was in the fact that the attack couldn't be easily followed.  Maintaining her evasiveness, Reimu's talismans eventually overcame the first of ten spells.

Returning to her initial pattern, Flandre released a repeating surge of magic with quicker succession.  Reimu found that her talismans were drowned out by the sheer volume of magic that Flandre was pouring.  With the fruitless struggle weighing upon her concentration, Reimu was startled by Flandre's second quick declaration.

"Taboo: L?vateinn!"

With a quick spin, Flandre twirled a long metallic object that resembled a deformed wand.  It received little notice as it had previously been attached to her wings and hung downward like a tail behind her.  Continuing with her chuckles, Flandre then wave the rod through the air which created a powerful pillar of energy that stretched out following its path.

Reimu scrambled frantically as Flandre continued with her spell.  Reimu's troubles were further compounded as the lingering trails of energy from L?vateinn incinerated her thrown talismans and amulets.  With her options literally cut short, Reimu endured with the haunting giggles and fiery slashes from Flandre.

With the second spell's end, Reimu braced for the magical surge that would resurface.  Although the attack made its return as anticipated, it was carried at a slower pace.  This made it a reasonable task to attack through the barrage.  Deciding to vent some of her frustration, Reimu expended effort in attacking at Flandre.  In a largely expected event, Flandre shortly declared her third spell.

"Taboo: Four of a Kind!"

In the momentary silence that followed, Reimu was weary for a figurative meaning to the spell's name.  With a terrifying echo, Reimu caught ear of several Flandres giggling around her.

Grasping her temple to calm a growing headache, Reimu mused, "This'll be interesting."

Segment 34 [Flandre] "Search for Destruction"
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 10:54:06 PM »
    From my darkened haven, I emerged.  It had been a while since I last ventured into the halls.  The last time was when Sister's mist covered the air.  At the time, the thick mist diminished the intense lights, and I actually liked the gentle color that embraced the rooms.  From what I recall, it was the mist that attracted the guests from before, and it was because of these guests that Sister stopped spreading her mist.  It was rather confusing, but I don't mind since Sister wanted to stop.

With the mist gone, the lights from the halls blinded me momentarily as I stepped past the door.  Just then, I heard the library doors squeak open as someone stepped past them before stopping.  After my eyes' focus returned, I was able to identify the person that I had heard.

Before me stood Other One.  It seemed like a random encounter as I recalled the abstract fact that we have never been properly introduced.  Stumbling over my thoughts, I tried to speak to her casually.

I hadn't so much as opened my mouth when she disappeared.  It was shocking, and I was at a loss for what had happened.  As I thought about what I should do, I remembered about why I came into the halls at all: to be with Sister.  Ignoring all other matters, I continued onward.

Pacing down the hall, I heard a tremendous echo rumble from outside.  My body froze in place as the tremors resounded under my feet.  The familiar roar had sent shivers down my spine.  That sound could only mean one thing: there was a storm outside.

With a raging storm, I wouldn't be able to go to where Sister was.  My spirits dwindled as I dejectedly headed back to my room.  Not even a step later, I collided with someone.

As I looked up to whomever I ran into, I recognized it to be Sakuya as she greeted with a smile, "Good afternoon, Mademoiselle."

"It's not good; it's raining," I complained.

Without a break in her poise, she commented, "It would seem so, but don't worry.  I shall have things sorted out momentarily."  Before I could ask her about what she was talking about, she added, "If you would, please wait near the lobby, and if possible, keep from being seen."

Her instructions seemed really specific and I was suspicious as to her aim, but I understood that she meant well.  The lobby was right next to the front doors and would be the best place to wait at if I wanted to leave.  Additionally, if I was spotted in the halls, it would be difficult to explain myself.  Nodding at the instructions, I headed towards the lobby and waited in the nearby parlor.

While waiting, I wondered about what it was like outside.  I could feel a distinct fear about it each time I looked into my mind.  Even though I had remained indoors for the entirety of my life, I couldn't shake away the foreboding panic that gripped at me when I thought about going out.  Even with Sister encouraging me along, I refused to move so far as the lobby's entryway.

Even now, with the rains that barred my passage, I may have felt disheartened, but I was also relieved.  I can't properly explain why, but I just can't bring myself to go out like Sister can.  Consumed by self-pity, I almost missed the rising commotion outside the parlor walls.

In the lobby, there was a flurry of gossip from the many faeries that Sister hired as maids.  Their conversations were particularly uninteresting, but it helped to distract me from my miserable mood.  Suddenly, there was silence.  As I was wondering about what happened, I heard someone speak aloud.

"I shall be off then," announced the voice that I recognized as Sakuya, "Sol shall have your instructions."

With that, she exited the mansion.  I suppose it was harder to settle things then she thought and had to head out to find Sister.  That's what the other maids were whispering about, I think.

Just then, I heard someone clear their voice to silence the crowd, unsuccessfully.  It was probably Other One.  The name that Patchouli gave her was Sol so that would mean that she was trying to relay the instructions that Sakuya previously mentioned.  As Other One continuously tried to quiet the crowd, they suddenly ceased with their commotion.

I became confused at the development, until I heard Other One call out, "Professor!"

Patchouli arrived, and that was what caused the maids to be quiet and attentive.  With a faint chuckle, I listened on to the instructions.

"Madame's younger sister has escaped the basement and is loose in the halls!  For the safety of all, it is imperative that she be found immediately!"

I was utterly stunned at the announcement.  My shock drowned my attention into and out of the conversation in the lobby.  From the pieces I heard, there was a commotion amongst the maids as they complained about the impossibility of the task.

It was clarified that they would only need to "find", not "capture."  Further, it was advised that no one actually agitated and engage in battle with me.  With the maids occupying the main floor, it was planned that Patchouli and Other One would actively search in the areas that were left unwatched.  After a dazed moment, I returned to my senses as I heard a squeal.

One of the maids opened the doors to the parlor and found me sitting next to the door.  In her panic, she backed away from the door, and I jumped to my feet.  In the lobby was a fairly large gathering of faerie maids and I was scared about what would happen.  It wasn't because they could hurt me, but I didn't want to hurt them.  Even if it was a wasted notion, they were Sister's maids and I didn't want anything to happen that I wouldn't be able to explain to Sister.

As I struggled with my concerns, one of the maids spoke to me, "Imoto-sama!  Turn yourself in peacefully!"

Without much concentration in my thoughts, I responded, "I didn't do anything wrong!"

"That doesn't matter now," she replied while pleading with her eyes, "Just surrender yourself before thing get out of hand."

"But I didn't do anything!" I persisted.

"Please, Imotou-sama!  Ojou-sama will be here shortly to sort everything out," she explained.

At the mention of my sister, I froze with doubt.  It had been Sakuya's suggestion that I wait near the lobby and if not for her words, I wouldn't have left my room at all.

"Did she do this for some reason?  Was it all at Sister's orders?  Was Sister ultimately to blame?" my doubts questioned as I struggled internally to find an answer.

The maid approached me slowly as she continued her pleas, "Please, if you would just-"

"Quiet!" I demanded.

In a sudden rush, my power escaped my control and swept across the lobby.  Several of the maids that were in its path were reduced into a fine powder in its wake.  The others descended into a maddened panic from the oppressive display.  The undeniable clamor drew undesired attention.  When Other One appeared on the scene, I couldn't help but try to escape.

I fled to the dividing doors and closed them after crossing through.  These doors were unique in the fact that few people were able to open them.  Even so, it seemed like Other One could teleport somehow.  In order to keep myself from being followed, I changed my shape into a cloud of mist.

It was actually something I thought to try when Sister's mist was still around.  I practiced numerous times and am now able to do it well enough.  In this clouded state, I drifted along the floor as Other One glanced about in her search.

It was shortly after when Patchouli entered from the dividing doors.  In a slight panic about what I would do, I moved back into the lobby as Patchouli closed the doors behind her.  The two remained in the foyer as a clatter drew my attention to the entryway.

There were two people I had never seen before; well, two people that I had never met, to be fair.  I believed them to be the guests from before.  In a slightly expected display, the maids cried woefully when they were approached by the newcomers.

I felt sorry for the maids, but there was nothing else that I could do about it.  After the two intrusive guests left the lobby, I changed back into my humanoid form.

Hushing a scream, I whispered to that maid, "Take the others someplace else."

She was hesitant, but agreed before corralling the other maids down the Southern Hall.  With the lobby emptied, I waited near the dividing doors.

Just then, I heard a voice call from the other side, "You up there!  What are you trying to do!?"

Listening carefully, I managed to hear Patchouli respond, "You?!  Again?!"

The voice then declared, "We're here to stop your annoying rains!"

Patchouli seemed to murmur something before getting interrupted.  Their conversation came to a sudden close when Patchouli hastily departure for the library.  Left alone in the foyer, the voice sighed to herself and was about to follow Patchouli.

But instead of leaving, she called out, "Who's there?"

It was apparent that this voice's owner was the guest that defeated Sister since the black clad one was chased in the library.  There were no others that she could have been speaking to since she was alone.

I became a bit hesitant.  I poured my thoughts over what I should do, but I couldn't decide.  I was already going to be in trouble when Sister got back, but there was nothing I could do about that.  As I was about to turn away and hide, I suddenly remembered something.

"The Scarlet Devil does not cower and hide!"

Time and again, there came those who challenged Sister and she would always face them; always.  As I thought of her confidence, I felt the need to prove myself as well.  To show that I wasn't a complete disappointment.  I wrestled away my anxiety, and opened the dividing doors.

Stepping forward, I announced, "Here I am!"

Segment 35 "Playing With Destruction"
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 11:06:27 PM »
    The calm air was nowhere to be found.  In the growing tension of the afternoon sky, the thunderous echo of a stormy day reverberated throughout the land.  At the center of the disturbance, a small home encased tremendous dread within its walls.  Taking appeasement from the company of a visitor, that solitary dread remained preoccupied.  But was the Hakurei Miko moving to fulfill her duty with the well-being of Gensokyo in mind?  Or was she merely taking part in the playful whims of carnage?

The gentle chuckles of the many Flandres was cut short by the echoing thunder of the persisting storm from outside the mansion.  With that momentous change, Reimu found herself attacked from all angles and prepared herself as best she was able.

This wasn't the first time she was outnumbered, and it would not be the last time was out-powered.  Using the reverberations of the clashing energy, she kept calm and continued moving safely.

When the waves encroached upon her, they collided with one another and sent a slight presence of pressure that carried past Reimu.  By maneuvering around the forbearing ripples, Reimu was able to keep herself away from the mass of the otherwise impossible assault.  With the delicate balance and poise of a leaf in the the biting wind, Reimu allowed for the ever-shifting attacks to guide her direction.  Neither resisting nor struggling, she revealed her art as a free spirited soul unbound by the limitations of reason.

Finding her consecutive waves of energy unsuccessful in overcoming her opposition, Flandre directed her selves into an enclosing path and released an additional volley of energy towards Reimu.  With her four selves pulsating with energy as well as attacking directly towards her opponent, Flandre was certain in overwhelming the human.

Lithely, Reimu spiraled, swirled, and twirled, but did not get hit.  All of the attacks that were directed towards her managed to skim by without bringing her harm.  Even with the awe that carried from the impossibility of her achievement, the display was more exhausting then she would have preferred.

Taking solace in the blind impatience of her enemy, she felt troubled by the endearing treat of hastened combat in prolonged fighting.  If the battle was going to remain at such an unaccommodating tempo, Reimu might make a mistake in her defense.  Calming her breath, she tried to keep her focus on her immediate surroundings.

In what felt like an eternity, the third from a set of ten spells was concluded.   Anticipating a short-lived rest, Reimu kept calm her dizzied breathing as she turned to face her foe.

"You're pretty good," Flandre complimented as she smiled, "At not getting hit."

Smiling in reaction to the taunt, Reimu remarked, "Well, you're not bad at making a mess."

With a faint glare, Flandre continued her taunting commentary, "But I wonder, little bird, can you fly safely from your cage?"

Instinctively, Reimu took flight as Flandre cut straight into her spell's declaration.

"Taboo: Kagome, Kagome!"

From wall to wall, an array of energy manifested into an interlocking chain of magic.  Caged by the formation of the spell, Reimu looked onward as Flandre fired two consecutive blasts of magic that tore through the structured energy, collapsing it as it passed.  As the crumbling cage was propelled by the blast, another cage began to take shape, and Reimu could only race about as the unstructured structure restructured itself.

Finding that the momentum was dictated by the fanciful whims of Flandre's intermittent attacks, Reimu returned into an offensive approach.  In the passing interludes of the cage wall rebuilding itself, Reimu had ample opportunity to retaliate and brought a close upon the, otherwise, troublesome spell.

The fourth spell break passed as a faint chuckle resounded; Flandre returned to employing an evenly paced pulsating wave.  Deliberately restrained in cycling repetitions, Reimu felt that she was being provoked into attacking.

Striking back nonetheless, Reimu was mildly surprised that Flandre didn't immediately declare her fifth spell card.  Drifting and swaying, back and forth, the modest exchange continued.  Then, Flandre rushed forward while the startled Reimu repositioned away.

"Taboo: Maze of Love!"

"Why must the annoying ones give me love?" Reimu dejectedly mused.

With the fifth declaration, Reimu readied herself for yet another mind-boggling display of danmaku.  As the attack took shape, Reimu found herself charging forward towards Flandre.  The projected wall of energy was so condensed, there was no possible way to avoid being hit by it; impossible with one exception: a gap directly in front of Flandre.  Even with that small opening, there was another wall of energy that threatened to enclose upon Reimu , but her instincts kept her moving forward.

Having passed the first wall, Reimu caught sight of another opening in the second wall and raced to safely reach it.  Like a pet answering its master's command, Reimu hopped through the loops that Flandre made for her in the Maze of Love.  Racing forward, circling back, she was at Flandre's mercy and could only continue in following along.

As the first half of the proposed set of spells came to an end, Flandre began to cheer jubilantly.

Although she felt that she would regret hearing the response, Reimu asked, "What's with the good cheer?"

"It's just that, normally, anyone I'm playing with disappears on me around now, but you're still here," Flandre explained as she squealed with excitement, "This'll be so much fun!"

Segment 36 [Flandre] "Reflection of Destruction"
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »
    Within the chaos of battle, I found myself reflecting upon the Spell Card Rule.  It was some time ago when Patchouli and I had this discussion.  It was about the rule and how everyone was going to obey it.  It seemed odd and I didn't think that it would be of any use at all.  Naturally, I was opposed to the notion.

The rule itself was a contradiction to some of the things that I had been taught.  Those with power should be free to use it.  Those that were lacking had no place in the world.  That was what I was taught.  Now, to hear of a rule, a law, that would make the weak greater and the strong pathetic, it was abominable.  I couldn't tolerate it in the least.  I refused to conform to it at all.

It was then that Patchouli said to me, "Instead of looking upon it as a displacement to natural order, it might be better to think of it as a game."

"You're not serious, are you?" my resentment was filling me with anger over the suggestion, "A game?"

"Indeed, it is with the utmost sincerity that I relate to you the thought," Patchouli replied.  Having taken her time with my persistence, Patchouli told me, "I should also point out that this is what Remilia believes as well."

My frustrations multiplied when I heard that Sister and I didn't agree on this point.  Holding back me tears, I asked, "Why would she?"

With a slight smirk, Patchouli explained, "Correct me if I'm mistaken; although there are numerous way to break something, it can only be truly broken once.  Correct?"

With my nod of agreement, she continued, "Would it not be more convenient, then, to keep one's playthings from breaking after playing with it than break them and their replacements constantly?"

Following a slight pause, I reluctantly replied, "I guess..."

"It is with this that I believe Remilia would reasonably have agreed to such an arrangement.  Not for herself or even for you, but for all of us; a new game to be played and enjoyed.  Don't you agree?"

Although I understood what she was saying, I just didn't think it was a good idea.  It was with great hesitation that I eventually agreed to learn the "new game."  Reminding myself, "It's for Sister... so I can play Sister's new game, too."

Even after I had learned the rules, I never got the chance to use it.  "All the better," I thought, "It couldn't be all that great."

At the time, that was how I felt.  How could I have imagined such a difference in change between then and now.

As I fought against this human, my frustrations welled and I could still feel my anxiety grasp at my concentration, but I didn't feel upset.  In contrast, I was greatly pleased.  It was a bizarre sensation; a mixture of emotions that stirred and moved me.

She had the time to spare to play with me, but if she was someone whom Sister declared an "equal" in battle, what chance did I have in besting her?

Even then, she presented herself as helpless, almost powerless.  With each passing spell, I could feel the fading limits of her presence flicker before me.  She attacked earnestly and pursued whichever opportunities she found as she scurried and scrambled with each of my attacks.

Although faced with such debilitating odds against overwhelming power, she remained persistent, and I understood why.  With the short exchange that passed at the start of battle, she already proved herself as poised and adept.  Attentive to the subtle changes in her surroundings and aware to the states of her self and adversary.  The longer we fought, the more I could see Sister in her figure: someone beyond my reach.

As the laughter echoed from within me, I pressed on with our game.  It was the only way I could think to distract myself in order to fight her with my best efforts.  Bringing my focus back into view, I readied myself for the remainder of the contest.  Just then, she spoke to me.

"What's with the good cheer?" she plainly asked.

"It's just that," I began to explain before pausing.  Although I understood why, I just couldn't explain it.  I searched my mind for a different excuse.  With hastened consideration, I sputtered, "Normally, anyone I'm playing with disappears on me around now."

Having said something so irrelevant, I took notice of the truth to my muttering.  In all the times anyone has bothered to be with me, they always ended up disappearing before we could finish.  At this realization, I felt a sudden rush of disappointment in myself before my attention returned to the person before me, "But you're still here."

"Was this why Sister wanted me to go with her?" my thoughts reasoned, "To play with this person?"

It was such an inane thought, but it managed to fill me with so much relief.

Ecstatic over my newly found discovery, I declared, "This'll be so much fun!"

Segment 37 "Struggle Against Destruction"
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
    The calm before the storm, the anxiety of the approaching unknown, the dread of childish whimsy; several forces gathered in the ominous foyer within the the Scarlet's home.  With no clear end to the rampant storm in sight, the Hakurei Miko was busy dealing with a formerly unknown resident.  Even with her progress, could she restore Gensokyo's peaceful summer day from the reaches of a brash and childish being?

Flandre's childish laughter continued to echo as Reimu recollected her composure; defeated five of Flandre's spell cards was a more demanding chore than what she had expected.  The blinding display of power was enough to hinder one's depth of perception and the taunting laughter that echoed in the foyer was also disheartening and disorienting.  Although she was only at the halfway point, Reimu felt her exasperation grow as she faced the foreboding whimsy of her opposition.

"Okay!  Round 2!" Flandre cheered as she unveiled her spell card.

"Forbidden Barrage: Starbow Break!"

An uneventful moment passed before the discoloring shone closer which caused Reimu scramble.  Flandre's Starbow Break was raining down from above.  A multitude of colors took shape as the radiating orbs showered intermittently.  As the orbs collected on the ground, another collection of orbs appeared on an adjacent wall and drifted towards the opposite wall.

With the colorful energy lining two sufaces, Reimu tried to keep on her guard for which way the attack would approach from.  No sooner had she turned to face Flandre, the recently settled energy on the wall proceeded to return to its former position.  Shuffling through the retreating barrage, Reimu began her assault on Flandre.  As Starbow Break continued, the swarms of colorful orbs simply fell back and forth, and Reimu followed the opportunity to bring the spell a quick end.

Following the spell break, Flandre emitted the familiar pulsating waves of energy.  In contrast to the previous waves, this one was largely denser in shape and followed a shorter repetition cycle. The heavier waves made moving through them a chore, but the slow-moving intervals gave a wider range from which Reimu could attach from.  With the two attacking earnestly, Flandre then declared her next card.

"Forbidden Barrage: Catadioptric!"

Reimu backed away and tried to observe what type of attack Flandre would employ.  Surprisingly, Flandre unleashed her attack behind herself.  The bursts of energy carried to the wall and proceeded to ricochet off the aforementioned wall.  With the energy returning towards them, Flandre had already repositioned to her left side and released another burst of energy towards the nearby wall, reflecting more energy throughout the room.  Retreating to the opposite wall, she continued her attack on the wall before firing an intermittent volley towards the domed ceiling as she drifted to the previous wall.  She then repositioned near the center and repeated the attack's cycle.

The bizarre attack structure caught Reimu in a daze.  Although the attack spanned the entirety of the spacious room, the fact that it relied on impacting the walls to redirect itself meant it filled the room with excessive reverberations.  This made it exceedingly difficult for Reimu to maneuver through since her instincts would tell her to move even though nothing dangerous approached, or even into an approaching blast.

Additionally, the energy left trails of fragments as it carried across the room.  These trails drifted slowly enough to be a hindrance in Reimu's retaliation.  Upon closer inspection, the deflecting impacts also sent splinters to sail through the air, further hampering Reimu's senses.  With futility amassed against her, Reimu employed her Fantasy Seal in an attempt to level the field.

With the counterattack approaching, Flandre shifted into her impervious state and awaited the bomb's failing before shifting back and resuming her spell.  Reimu, momentarily stunned from Flandre's preparedness, barely evaded an incoming blast only to collide with a lingering orb.  Having received her second hit in the course of the duel from this one spell, Reimu was pressed for a better course of action or face defeat.

Relying on her Evil Sealing Circle to clear her way from another enclosing barrage of energy, Reimu retreated as best she was able.  Sifting through the chaotic clusters, fortune struck at her.  By what could be mere coincidence, a small area she arrived at received less traffic from the re-angling attacks and Reimu saw fit to retaliate from that relatively safe location with great fervor.

With the long awaited spell break, Reimu found no respite as Flandre directed a short volley of energy directly towards Reimu.  The attack itself wasn't entirely threatening, but Flandre intended to continue applying pressure to her foe.  The short volley was repeated in hastened intervals and left Reimu in a bind to continually move in order to avoid its rapid approach.  Responding to the increased pressure with attacks of her own, Reimu took the short declaration interval afterward to try to recollect her composure.

"Forbidden Barrage: Counter Clock!"

Several large waves began to propel themselves across the foyer as Reimu took sight of an intriguing spectacle.  Two small spheres appeared and proceeded to project four large beams into a cross shape.  These crosses then tumbled across the path of the scattering waves creating an intimidating array of lights.  The passing waves meandered by the crosses as such that they appeared to be moving along together; like the gears of a clock.

Unfortunately, Reimu didn't have the time to be amused by the semantics of her enemy's attack; the sweeping array left little in the way for maneuverability, much less for attacking.  Already feeling dazed from the brightly enclosed environment, Reimu could only drift helplessly in the sea of shifting waves as she unsuccessfully tried her tools against Counter Clock.

Segment 38 [Flandre] "Struggle Against Destruction"
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2009, 08:58:47 PM »
    "Forbidden Barrage: Counter Clock!"

With the spell's manifestation, two orbs appeared nearby and reshaped themselves into crosses.  I then directed a steady wave of magic to carry the crosses across the foyer.  My wave reached low enough that she wouldn't be able to dive below it, and the crosses rose high enough that moving over them was improbable.  As the attack stretched closer to my enemy, the area of safety would recede and smother its occupant.

Amazingly, the human didn't allow for my spell to overtake her.  Instead of awaiting the enclosure's approach, she rushed forward and slipped by harm's way.  Continuing off of her acrobatic endeavor, she tried to attack over my rising wave only to have her charms fall short of clearance.

Even if her attack wasn't successful, her abilities proved to be the greater.  Although I tried to change my attacks' variances, she continually outmaneuvered my attempts and drew my spell out into its limit.  With the flare from the spell break, I gathered my strength and pressed my attack.

"Secret Barrage: And Then Will There Be None?!"

Releasing my focus, I scattered my being into an impervious mist as I guided a small surge of magic forward.  My responses to the human's movements were stiff as I was somewhat dazed by the rapid release of energy.  As my concentration gradually restored itself, I released several more magical surges to clutter the foyer.  The energy blasts scattered rippling trails as they sailed, but the human wasn't daunted.  She continued to meander in a controlled fashion as my attacks whisked by her.

With the surges dimming away, I redirected my control over the magic that had collected around the room.  Gathering and releasing the traces of magic, I managed to draw ripples of energy from the stagnant air and had them enclose upon my foe.  The initial wave was turned aside by her Evil Sealing Circle since it caught her by surprise.  Even so, the remainder of my spell proved to be ineffective in cornering her at all as she continued her free-form flying.

Disappointment and frustration consumed my thoughts as I felt my focus give way to dizziness.  We were almost at the end, yet I felt as though we wouldn't stop at all.  Something drove me forward as I felt myself fall back.

I could feel my thoughts circle around me, "There is still one more!"  "Not yet!"  "One more!"

I felt a strong urgency overtake me.  There was still more that I could do; that I wanted to do.  With my focus recollected again, I prepared myself for the finale.  With the spell break as my trigger, I called out my final spell.

"Q.E.D.: Ripples of 495 Years!"

I let myself go.  With the single rush from my declaration, my magic clouded the foyer in waves that barreled around in dramatic fashion.  The clustering of energy blinded my sights as the fluctuating presence of magic swayed my attentiveness.  There was more to the match than I could admit to, and I could only press myself on; expending my strength.

What was this nostalgia that beckoned from my mind?  Why was this exhaustion comforting?  Was there something that I was afraid of?

My thoughts went unanswered as the barrier collapsed around me.  With a shrill cry and a blinding flash, the spell break signaled, and our game came to an end.

Segment 39 "Persevering Over Destruction"
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2009, 09:35:51 PM »
    The storm's thunderous echo was not felt.  Even as the quiet interlude passed, its presence went unnoticed.  At the forefront of thought was the struggle of the game.  The childish calamity had reached the pinnacle of chaos while the Hakurei Miko endeavored to surpass its awe.  With the finale drawing ever closer, what will the conclusion hold for Gensokyo's future?

A calmed moment gathered as Flandre's spell came to an end.  Feeling the fatigue from her long battle, Reimu quieted her aches with a hastened sigh, "Just one more."

Following the brief pause, Flandre made her final declaration.

"Q.E.D.: Ripples of 495 Years!"

The peace within the foyer disappeared as the magical pressure surged forth.  From all around, ripples of energy tumbled across the arena as the echoing cries of the clashing pressure and energy overwhelmed Reimu's senses.  The creeping wave of magic descended upon her as more took shape; each accompanied by the deafening roar of anguish that would rend all sanity from any unaccommodating minds.

Each approaching ripple enclosed upon its target with cluttering accuracy.  Each advancing wave carried with it another surge of agonizing dread.  With the accumulating stress from the prolonged fighting, Reimu struggled to keep calm.  Her poise had long been tested, but never before had she felt such a reluctance to continue onward.

An unnatural sensation crept into her mind as the struggle to move continued.  Bringing with it the sensations of disquieting solitude and restless initiatives, Reimu felt her usually positive perspective give way to an embitterment that sought nothing.  It lingered and swirled, but found no satisfaction.  It drove her forward only to pull her back.  A sensation of indecisiveness flooded to her mind as she resisted its grasp.

Fighting away the overwhelming urge to scream, Reimu stumbled over her feet as she swayed between the waves of Flandre's attack.  Drawing forth a spell card of her own, Reimu prepared to clear her mind of the many conflicting thoughts only to find her instincts had betrayed her.  Her hands trembled slightly as she unveiled her card, allowing it to fly forward and out of her grasp.  Surprised at her needless blunder, Reimu was caught in a bind from the encroaching energy.

No longer able to retaliate as she planned, Reimu shifted her weight in a daring maneuver to reclaim her initiative.  Diving to her side, she rolled across in a loop and landed with a short hop.  Narrowly avoiding the multitude of ripples that passed, she made a second attempt at a bomb, but found her focus cluttered once more by the surge of unstable thoughts.  Resisting the cold shiver that crept upon her figure, Reimu clenched her gohei as she cleared her thoughts once more.

Unfortunately, the progressing magic of Flandre's Ripples of 495 Years was not so accommodating.  In the momentary delay from Reimu's resilience, the bombardment crushed down upon her.  With a silent flash, the magic subsided as Reimu's barrier wavered.  With a faint sigh, Reimu loosened her stance as the rippling magic appeared once more.

With her spell card in hand, she awaited the for the somber thoughts to resurface as she took flight to outmaneuver the energy.  Detecting the flow of alien thoughts grip upon her mind, she released her focus as she declared her attack.

"Dream Sign: Evil Sealing Circle!"

As the Circle flared into view, Reimu followed the swirling presence of the drifting thoughts.  Waving her gohei overhead, she tried to sort out the different thoughts as they came to her.  Without a clear conclusion to her investigation, Reimu dropped down and rushed through an opening forward.  Stopping a short distance, she declared another spell card.

"Spirit Sign: Fantasy Seal!"

From underfoot, the dropped spell card activated, and released her accumulated spiritual energy.  Waving her gohei overhead once more, Reimu allowed the energy to mix with the chaotic thoughts.  The resulting outcry from the explosive Fantasy Seal went unheard by the youkai as Reimu alone was leveled to her knees.

From within the shifting sequence of thoughts came words of resentment: resentment about herself, about someone she didn't know, about the warm light of day, about the cold chill of night, about the endearing persistence of boredom, about the exhausting grasp of time, about everything, about nothing.  In the short time afforded by the bomb, Reimu realized what it was she heard.

By its very nature, the attack was not meant to inflict confusion on its target.  Instead, she heard it as a voice that could not speak aloud; words that were not allowed shape.  With this particularity in mind, Reimu felt her instincts betray her once more.  The struggle to move resurfaced in an entirely new direction.  With the new insight to her enemy, Reimu felt herself confused in what she would do.  Doubts that she normally would not consider emerged in her sights as she sorted through her thoughts.

With the momentary paused afforded by her hesitation, Reimu found herself overtaken by the persisting waves of rippling magic.  The brilliant flash that ensued was followed by a sharp pang of a sound.  In the dimming hue of the foyer lights, the world around them lost its integrity as it shattered and faded from view.

Resettling into the growing void was the faint light of the scarlet tinted walls.  Reexamining her surroundings, Reimu found herself in the all-too-familiar foyer of the Scarlet Estate.  With unsettling confusion in general, Reimu thought aloud, "Was that it?"

From the silence, a voice replied in kind, "Don't think that's all!  There's still more!"

Following the announcement, Reimu glanced over to the voice's source.  As she was wondering what was next, she noticed that Flandre had already raised her mangled metal rod overhead and proceeded to close the distance between them in two blinks of Reimu's eyes.  Startled beyond comprehension, Reimu fell over as Flandre brought down her attack.

Had it not been for the fact that Reimu was already standing in a slump, she might not have avoided that sudden rush so well.  With the stroke cutting short of her leg, Reimu leapt away in a hurried rush and recollected herself into a semblance of a defensive stance as she turned towards Flandre.

Taking several deep breathes, she then took notice of the abrupt inactivity of her foe.  Already overwhelmed by confusion and exhausted from the ordeal, Reimu stated plainly her observation, "Hey, er, you don't look too good."

Growling lowly in reply, Flandre repositioned herself upright and glared at her opponent.  Then, as suddenly as before, she startled her foe with an unexpected maneuver.  She collapsed onto her bottom with a soft thud.

"Yeah," she remarked, with a soft whimper, "I'm so tired, I can't even shoot smoke."

With an awkward laugh, Reimu paced closer to where Flandre sat as she changed the flow of conversation, "Just so you know, I'll come over and play with you all you want."

At that remark, Flandre looked up; eyes wide with of shock.  It felt puzzling and gratifying at once, but before she could exclaim her excitement, Reimu continued, "So please, please, don't come to my shrine."

Flabbergasted with jaw agape, Flandre protested, "But I wanted to visit you, with tea and cake, in thanks."

Stunned at the generosity, Reimu fought the twisting convulsion over the implication as she kindly insisted, "If you would, try to not bring your kind of food to a human's place."

"It's not too sweet, is it?" Flandre pondered, dejected over the rejection.

Calming her thinned patience, Reimu chided, "Even if it's sugar-free, don't bring it over.  At any rate, good girls should go home quietly and get to sleep."

Hesitating with confusion, Flandre remarked, "But I am home..."

"Then you don't need to go home," Reimu commented, "How fitting for a bad girl.  Now if you'll excuse me, I must be going.  I have to get another bad girl I left at my shrine."

"Who do you mean, 'bad girl'?" the addled and depressed Flandre asked.

With a pout, Reimu explained, "You and your sister!"

Segment 40 [Remilia] "Apart From Destruction"
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2009, 09:58:42 PM »
    From the darkness, a soft pang clattered through my ears; its presence soft, yet unsettling. Caught in a hypnotic daze, my mind wanders lost within the mysterious echoing. In the harmonic dissonance from the uneven noise, I recalled what it was that I was hearing.

This sound, is it rain?

No, not just any rain. My eyes open to the darkened sky as I was entreated to an unsettling sight.

Home... from before...

The dim haze of night was being pierced by the open flames of torchlight and my sight wandered closer to the foggy shapes. The soft echoes grew louder as a cold shiver enveloped my body. Tightening my grasp, I shook away the panic that tremble over my thoughts.

"Is something amiss?" a gentle voice called.

Still trembling faintly, I felt the hazy dream dissipate from around me as the figure before me returned into focus.

Ma... m?re...

"Madame?"

With a faint stare, the stupor lifted from my eyes as the silhouette faded into a different shape.  With an uneven breath, I tried to identify the new shape before me, "Sa.. ku-ya?"

"Are you not well, Madame?" she asked while glancing at me with great concern.

My drifting attention took notice of my state: I was being carried by Sakuya. With that thought in focus, I recalled what I had previously asked of her. After she had spoken with my sister, she was to find me at the Hakurei Shrine and bring me back home. As my scattered thoughts sorted themselves, I turned my attention elsewhere.

With my eyes closed and my head resting upon her shoulder, I asked, "How far are we?"

"We have only just passed the outer gates, Madame," Sakuya informed, "As you have requested, I have not altered our course, and we will arrive at the main entrance shortly."

"Hm," I halfheartedly replied.

The afternoon lethargy still grasped at me as I tried to tighten my hold across Sakuya's form.  My mind slipped back into the terror that was the memories of my past.

From before I could recall, I had always been seen as a cursed child.  It was true since no matter whom it may have been, everyone I encountered had misfortune befall them.  When my own parents fell victim to tragedy, I was left alone to dread the inevitable: I would soon join them.  Truthfully, it was what I had longed for the moment I realized it would happen.

What I was most afraid of was to be left alone, and when that moment came, I was foolish enough to step forward into the sight of certain doom.  My parents lay dead as the building I would later call home was set ablaze.  In the open sky, heavy rain scattered before me as the droplets cut across my skin and stole my strength.  I was driven by loathing and despair, ready to embrace my end, when I heard a cry.  At that moment, I recalled something important: my sister.

Her faint cries beckoned to me from a distance away, and I felt a tremor of emotions: she and I were all that we had left of our family.  Even if it was painful for me, it would be worse yet for her if she were alone.  I understood that I couldn't simply abandon her.

Then, in a flash, I sensed a change nearby and the spell lifted from my eyes.  As the distilled images that enveloped my mind faded, I slowly reawakened from my rest.

"Madame, we've arrived," Sakuya announced.

I held fast to my embrace as my mind returned to the matter at hand. The comfort left me with a sigh when I released my embrace and headed onward.

As I approached the doors, Sakuya appeared at my side and stated, "No matter the past, our futures are yours to decide."

Following a momentary pause, our expressions were synchronized with smiles.

"And that's because," I remarked while unfurling my wings, "I am the Scarlet Devil."

I was no longer the child of my past.  I have changed; grown.  I am not a mere fledgling, but the master of my domain.

Content with my restored confidence, Sakuya opened the door for my entrance.  Approaching calmly, I took sight of the battle's ceremonious end. Awaiting patiently, I was treated with a humorous spectacle as my guest and my sister continued to exchange some idle banter.

Taking ear of my mention, I interjected, "And that makes you a good girl?"

"Sister!" Flandre exclaimed as the two finally took notice of my presence.

"My little sister," I called, "It seems you've already meet the Hakurei Miko."

Hesitantly, Flandre confirmed, "Yes, I have, Sister."

Casually, I continued to ask, "Did the two of you have fun together?"

With another hesitant, yet eager, expression, my sister confirmed, "Yes, we did, Sister."

With a light chuckle, I smiled gently as I remarked, "That's good to hear."

I reached forward to caress my sister's face, but was interrupted when Reimu callously informed, "Since we're done here, I'll be heading back."

"Yes, of course, and thank you for your time," I replied as the miko sighed loudly before exiting. Turning my attention back to my sister, I commented, "Perhaps you should get some rest as well, dear Flandre."

At that suggestion, Sakuya knelt by Flandre's side and offered, "If I may be so direct, shall I carry you to your quarters, Mademoiselle?"

Receiving her quiet consent, Sakuya held Flandre in a cradling embrace and headed towards the Northern Hall. Calling at their departure, I wished to her, "Sleep well, my dearest sister."

With a faint smile, Flandre whispered back as she always had, "Dream well, my only sister."

"Quite the touching moment," came a comment from behind me after Sakuya had passed beyond the doorway.

"Indeed," I replied as I turned to face my commentator, "But I thought you already left."

With a concerned expression, Reimu asked, "That sister of yours, you know she's-"

"Lonely," I interrupted, "All she really needs is someone to play with."

With a soft sigh, she turned and proceeded towards the entryway once again. After her departure, I was left to dwell on my thoughts.

"I, who have lost so much, and my sister, who never had much to lose; for so long, we only had each other, but that won't be for much longer," I mused loudly before I turned around, "Will it, Pachi?"

"Keeping us ever busy, Remi?" emerging from behind the Northern Hall's doorway, Patchouli grumbled, "Hm, this really will take more than a week."

Segment 41 "From Destruction's Wake"
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2009, 10:21:30 PM »
    Within the tranquil view of the setting sun, a moment of reflection carried for the residents of the Scarlet Devil's mansion.  What was nothing short of a wrecking zone mere hours ago was now a peaceful coven of maidly figures frolicking through the halls.  It was the eve that followed destruction's reign, and the collective sighs of relief was felt, heard, and shared by all within the home.

"What are you talking about?" the young master inquired, "That's ridiculous, even for you.  Are you trying to embarrass yourself?"

"Even if I was, whose shame would I suffer?" her quiet companion retorted, "Yours?  Sakuya's?  Mine?"

Together on the front balcony, the two shared a moment of discussion towards the day's passing events.  With a displeased frown, the young master called to her companion, "It would be your shame for my indignation.  Now, explain your accusation, Pachi."

"Very well, then," the quiet companion acknowledged.  Finishing another sip of her tea, she turned her firm gaze to her master as she explained her logic, "Although the entire incident was well planned, there still remains a particularity that was overlooked."

"Get with it already," her master complained.

"At the time, I could only speculate as to why, but the biggest problem comes from Sakuya's own preparedness in the face of my queries," the quiet companion explained, and after an unsteady glance was passed towards the maid in question, she interrogated her, "Sakuya, would you care to explain from where it was that you learned so much of our dearest Flandre?"

Without a moment of thought, Sakuya replied, "That would be from Mademoiselle herself, Patchouli."

"Quite agreeable, except Flandre couldn't have told you that much about herself.  So, Sakuya, from where did you learn so much of our lovely Flandre, again?"

The stalwart maid simply shook her head.  Unflinching from her smiling presence, Sakuya retorted, "Mademoiselle is far more understanding than you realize."

With a startling bit of laughter, Patchouli grinned faintly as she pressed her point, "I'm well aware of how much understanding Flandre has.  The problem would be in that she wouldn't speak to anyone about those types of things.  Even if she shared some of that knowledge with you, you still couldn't possibly know as much as you do.  What do you have to say for yourself now?"

With her unchanging expression, Sakuya responded with a mere, "I wouldn't know."

"Now, now Pachi," the impatient master interrupted, "Even if you pin Sakuya's guilt, that doesn't begin to confer any precedence with your accusation.  How am I the culprit to this incident?"

A confident smirk appeared as Patchouli argued, "But that is just the thing Sakuya's guilt will convey.  Whom else but a small list would know of those particular details?  Meiling, you, and I.  Among the three, it most definitely wasn't Meiling.  Had it have been I, we wouldn't be discussing things like this.  Therefore, Sakuya could only have learned about Flandre from you."

"That still doesn't pin me as the guilty," the master retorted, unamused by the details.

"But Remi, it does," the companion decreed, "There is only one reason Sakuya would even dare to speak to Flandre so openly, and that's because of you."

"I guess I can't hide anything from you, Pachi," the young master admitted.

"So how was it, your plan?" Patchouli inquired, curious as to what results were achieved.

"Boring," Remilia replied, "I fell asleep and it was over."

With a light chuckle and slight nod, Patchouli mused, "Sounds about right."

Furrowing her brow, Remilia sneered, "And what's that mean?"

Patchouli shook her head and shrugged her shoulders as she remarked, "In the end, that's all we really can do."

Remilia bit her lip slightly when she turned away; dismayed by the truthfulness of her friend's words.  Those whom worried most could do the least to help.  Sighing loudly, she gazed upward to the waning moon.

"Instead of moping, why not let me help you with this one," Patchouli suggested.

With a defeated sigh, Remilia turned her attention towards her friend.  She took immediate notice of the confidence that poured from her smirk and dismissed Sakuya from the balcony.  Holding her hands together with quiet anticipation, she listened intently to what her friend had to say.

Patchouli drew closer as she conveyed her advice, "First, we must find the right one..."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:08:08 AM by Zer0Axiom »

Segment 42 "Restless Day For Relaxation"
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »
    In the passing tide of noon, there was a gentle breeze that sailed the clouds overhead.  Under the drifting shade, the typical tranquility was ever present in Gensokyo.  But even as the chaotic memories of the past week released its grip, they would not disappear entirely.  The Hakurei Miko, with nothing to do, enjoyed her tea while filled with foreboding insecurity: something was amiss.

"Reimu!" a voice called from an approaching figure.

Focusing her sights to the new figure, Reimu casually replied, "What is it, Marisa?"

"What's with the dead gaze?" Marisa immediately pointed out, "You not well, or something?"

With a soft sigh, Reimu raised her teacup to her lips as she mumbled, "Sure, that works."

"Well, sitting around won't help you get better," Marisa complained, "How about-"

"I'll pass," Reimu interrupted.

The ominous sensation weighed heavily on her mind, and being with Marisa wouldn't cure the problem.  Preoccupied as she was, she didn't pay any mind to Marisa displeasure.  With an amassing headache, Reimu shook her head slightly.

Turning her sights to her friend, she insisted, "Just give it time; I'll be fine."

"Yeah, whatever," Marisa sneered, "I've got better things to do than catch you germs.  Later."

Bolting away without a moment's delay, Marisa disappeared into the sky and left Reimu with her thoughts.  With an uneven sigh, Reimu mumbled her grief, "What's wrong with today?"

"That's quite the question," a new voice commented, "Since most would call this a good day."

Startled from her thoughts, Reimu almost dropped her cup.  Coughing slightly as she regained her composure, she jeered back, "Now I know it can't be a good day if you're here."

With a smile of amusement, her visitor inquired, "What a hurtful thing to say.  Am I really such a troublesome sight?"

"You are," Reimu plainly answered.  After another sip of her tea, she continued with her typical hospitality, "Did your master need something, bookworm?"

"Quite the contrary, I'm here for my own business," the magical librarian plainly stated.  After receiving a glare of doubt, she continued, "May I have a seat?"

Having been confronted with a polite request, Reimu was lost for a reply.  Normally, her guests simply did as they pleased, and offered little necessity for the formalities of etiquette.  Shaking off the muddled hesitation, she directed her visitor to an open space on the veranda.  With a slight nod of confirmation, the unusual guest approached her seat.

Patchouli Knowledge; the pale skinned magician was a close friend of the Scarlet Devil.  She spent most of her time in the dusty library that was within the Devil's home.  It was even a point of humor how she rarely ever left, and for her to personally visit the shrine, was a glaringly suspicious act in Reimu's eyes.  Additionally, that she would leave on her own business as opposed to her master's; Reimu knew that something was being planned.  The question of what remained unclear.

With the awkwardness that enveloped the shrine, Patchouli spoke openly, "I don't doubt that my motives are under high suspicion, but I mean you no harm."  Receiving a scoff for a reply, she continued her speech, "After I heard of what happened, I wanted to thank you in person."

"A week after the fact?" Reimu's thoughts screamed, "What kind of scam is this supposed to be?"

As Reimu stared dumbly, Patchouli smiled slightly, "It must seem silly, that a youkai would thank you, but I'm truly appreciative."  Patchouli paused to gesture a bow before she resumed her remarks, "What you managed to do for both Flandre and Remilia is something I will never be able to achieve.  I know it isn't much, but if-"

Confused by the seriousness of the conversation, Reimu interrupted, "Wait, I didn't do anything to be thanked for.  I was just doing my job."

Patchouli nodded once and reiterated, "And that is precisely what I was thanking you for."  To Reimu's growing confusion, Patchouli continued her rant, "It may not have been particular or special, but it was definite.  What you did, it remains as something you did and something they won't forget.  It bears greater meaning than you might admit to.  So if you would, please, accept my thanks."

With a humbled perspective, Reimu felt out of place being embarrassed by her unknown accomplishments.  Mustering a reply, she assented, "Well then, you're welcome."

Smiling softly at the giddy Reimu, Patchouli concluded her business, "And so, my gift to you: an invitation to the Scarlet Devil Mansion."

Immediately, Reimu was struck with the foreboding that she had sensed some time ago as her thoughts echoed, "I should have known!"

With the conversation moving expectantly, Patchouli commented, "Incidentally, Remilia wants to thank you personally as well."

"So you are here on her orders," Reimu chided.

"As I said, I'm here for myself," Patchouli reiterated, "If it were on her orders, it would be Sakuya visiting you instead."

Fighting off the grievance to her truthfulness, Reimu mused, "So, what if I decline the invitation?"

With a slight nod, Patchouli replied, "If you will not come to us, we will go to you.  Both Remilia and-"

"Hold that thought," Reimu interrupted.  She could anticipate the rest of the remark and preferred not to hear it.  With a sigh of defeat, she asked, "When should I be going?"

"Right now," Patchouli plainly stated, "I'm your escort."

"Oh, joy..." Reimu grumbled as her thoughts declared, "Why can't I be wrong for once!?"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:13:55 AM by Zer0Axiom »

Segment 43 [Marisa] "The Helpless Day"
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »
    "Arg!  Why can't I get this right?!"

My frustrations piled and clouded my concentration.  I was at the limits of my talents, and felt the heavy burden of inferiority shackle me from my energetic self.  As persistent as I usually am, I simply couldn't handle the stress.  I needed a break.

It's been a week since the stationary rain hung around the vampire's place, or rather, vampires' place.  Imagine my surprise to hear there were really two of them all along.  To cap off the shock, turns out the one I met was the older and weaker of the two.  It makes one wonder "Just how much stronger is the younger one," but that isn't what I'm hung up on.

During the incident, I took it upon myself to test out a new potion of mine.  The efficacy was greater than any before it and I was feeling quite proud of myself.  However, little more than a day later, that dreary librarian concocts a remedy specifically for it, and I ended up outdone.

Even without my new potion to employ on my endeavors, I can still manage to capture a few books, but that's beside the point.  My pride and skill had been challenged by her, and I wasn't going to back away!  Even so, I still couldn't manage to one-up that remedy.  Maybe I'd been thinking too hard on the problem and couldn't see the answer, but whatever the reason, I needed a break.

Being upset wouldn't make things easier, if anything, it was holding me back.  On such days, the simple answer would be to go and spend some time with Reimu.  It might not have been much for a solution, but it was the most reliable one I had.  She's my friend, and that's what friends were for.  Right?  Carrying on in my typical habit, I flew over to the shrine for a visit of my good friend.

I'm not sure why, but something about her just helps me to calm myself.  Maybe it's being away from the forest, maybe it's the aroma of the tea, maybe it's being with another person my own age; whatever the reason, I always looked forward to visiting Reimu, and today wasn't an exception.  Although it ended very exceptionally.

Approaching my destination, I called out, "Reimu!"

Having drawn her attention, Reimu looked over to me and asked, "What is it, Marisa?"

Although it was normal for her to be a bit negative with her reception, she seemed more far gone than usual.  Confused as I was, I asked her directly, "What's with the dead gaze?  You not well, or something?"

With a grumble under her sigh, Reimu sipped her teacup and didn't bother with an answer.  I was ignored and that was very aggravating.  Already in a crossed mood, I continued the conversation on my own, "Well, sitting around won't help you get better.  How about-"

"I'll pass," Reimu interrupted.

Suddenly cut from my thoughts, I chided, "You didn't even let me finish!"

With the pause that filled in afterward, I started to feel a bit concerned.  Shuffling around my doubts, I spoke my concerns, "If you're really not well, then maybe you should go inside for a bit."

Again, silence, and I felt my grief fill my head.  Unable to restrain my discontentment, I demanded, "So you're just going to ignore me, is that it!?  I'm not so useless that I can't help out!  I can-"

Shaking her head to stop my rant, she simply said, "Just give it time; I'll be fine."

It was the ultimate rejection.  To be turned away by a "friend" during her time of need rather than being asked for assistance.  I was already upset and now this?  It was more than I could take.

"Yeah, whatever," I sneered, "I've got better things to do than catch you germs.  Later."

Turning away, I didn't wait for a reply.  I just left, and in my dismay, I pondered, "What now?"

Without a solution in sight, I grumbled, "Guess I'll go there..."

There weren't too many places in Gensokyo that I'd really frequent so my choices were already limited.  Since that place had been on my mind for some time now, it was actually the place that I wanted to go to: the library in the mansion.  Although it was one of the places I most wanted to visit, it was also the one place that I was least likely to want to visit with my current mood.

Apart from it being abundantly accommodating, the resources were redundantly convenient.  Shelves stacked with numerous volumes of any, and possibly every, subject I would ever need.  Magics and alchemy on levels I could only imagine existed with materials and formulas for creations that I never realized possible; such things could be found in the books there.  There wasn't a topic I couldn't find a book for when I went, and that was the exact reason I wanted to go.

At the same time, she was there as well: Patchouli Knowledge.  Being the resident librarian, she was constantly in the library, and as things stood, I just didn't feel up to another encounter just yet.  She was far more impressive than I cared to admit, being reputed for having written all of the books that populate that library.  Although the texts were all very beneficial to my magical development, I realized that I was merely growing off of her talents and not my own.

It was part of the reason I haven't really studied the new books I've collected, and even now, all I managed to do was deepen the rift between us.  It was on a fleeting whim, but I continued my approach to that place; if only to spite her grandiose collection.  I wasn't feeling very pleasant at all.

Since their "barrier" was still completely ineffective, I could enter through the back entrance.  From there, it was a dead approach through the southern corridor.  After I got into the library, I would get what I needed and be on my way back out.  As I wasn't in a lingering mood, I wanted to get in and out quickly.

That was what I had planned to do, at least.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:24:46 AM by Zer0Axiom »

Segment 44 [Sol] "Time Together: Why Me?"
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2009, 10:18:26 PM »
    In the receding tide of the energetic day, one can begin to feel the accomplishments of time. How far one has progressed, how much farther one has yet to go, how much harder the following day may be. As I take notice of my steady progress, I am stunned at how little I have changed. Renewing my resolve at each passing day, I looked forward to the achievement of tomorrow.

How is it, then, that I have become Mademoiselle Flandre's companion for the day?

The only reason this task was given to me was, "Flandre doesn't want to impose onto those that are already her sister's. As it so happens to be, you are the only one here that qualifies to that one condition."

Without a say of any sort one way or another, I was seated in the Professor's library across from the honored guest, Madame's younger sister Flandre Scarlet.

The stagnant air strangled my mind as I smiled uncomfortably and asked myself, "What am I supposed to be doing?"

"May I offer you some snacks?" came a voice that saved the atmosphere from its ailing state.

"Is it snack time already, Sakuya?" Mademoiselle asked.

"No, it's just before lunchtime," Sakuya calmly replied, "But I thought you might like some snacks now. Am I mistaken, Mademoiselle?"

"Ah, it's fine by me," Mademoiselle casually stated, "How about you, Other One?"

With a light smile, I assented to the suggestion and then gleamed at the surprisingly large platter of cookies that Sakuya placed upon the table. A variety of six different flavors were present and briefly introduced to the receptive guest.

"There's a lot, isn't there?" Mademoiselle appraised.

"I don't think we can finish this all," I complained as I shifted my glance between Mademoiselle and Sakuya.

"There is no need to worry. The remainders will be offered to the maids as fitting," the ever smiling maid explained.

"Well, if that's the case, we should save some for them, right?" Mademoiselle asked as she pondered over the quantity of the pile.

Shaking her head in disagreement, Sakuya argued, "That will not be necessary; too many might spoil the maids."

"Then, we'll just have our fill," Mademoiselle calmly announced, "Which ones do you like, Other One?"

With little consideration, I responded, "I don't have one."

"Even though there are so many?" she persisted.

With the situation pressed against me, I laughed lightly as I truthfully replied, "They taste the same to me so I don't really like one any more than the other."

"How can they taste the same when they clearly taste so different?" Mademoiselle demanded.

"They taste the same to me because I can't taste them," I explained, "Although I've read about all the different flavors and masterful creations, I can only feel the textures and never the true taste of the meal."

Realizing only too late what effect my words had, I was shocked by what Mademoiselle said, "Then I won't have any either.  It wouldn't be fair."

"That isn't necessary, Mademoiselle," I remarked, but failed to conjure a reason when encountered with Mademoiselle's pouting glare.

Sensing my struggle, Sakuya calmly resolved the situation with a simple explanation, "Even if we can't enjoy your favorite foods, we can take joy if we can watch you enjoy them."

Fending off Mademoiselle's doubtful stare, I added, "When I'm with someone that's enjoying their food, I feel as though I can taste what their eating as well."

Shifting her eyes between the two of us, Mademoiselle declared with a subdued roar, "Then, I'll enjoy enough for all of us!"

Confused by her announcement, I was stunned when she proceeded to shovel handfuls of cookies into her mouth. With my terror filled instincts taking hold, I tried to stop her before she ultimately chocked on the mouthful of partially chewed cookies, "You shouldn't eat so quickly!"

"A-i h-a?" Mademoiselle sputtered while glaring dauntingly at me.

Though asked directly for an explanation, I couldn't formulate one. I was overtaken by the sight of Mademoiselle's crumb covered cheeks that puffed out as her two hands, overburdened with more cookies seemingly on the ready to be thrown rather than eaten, floated nearby. As I struggled internally to keep from exploding with laughter, it was Sakuya that came to my rescue.

Wiping away the mounds of crumbs from Mademoiselle's face, Sakuya calmly asserted, "You shouldn't eat so quickly because if you do, we can't share in your enjoyment."

"We-i?" Mademoiselle quietly asked with her cheeks still stuffed.

Containing myself to a simple smile, I tried to literate, "It's in the way you eat that we can take pleasure in. If you eat so quickly, it feels like you're forcing yourself to eat, and that feels painful for us."

Receiving a nod of confirmation from Sakuya, Mademoiselle and I were able to take our time in enjoying several more of the cookies until a sudden shift in mood occurred.

"This isn't right! I have to talk to Sister."

With a short hop, Mademoiselle was out of her chair and passing through the doors. As Sakuya and I looked blankly about the scene, the severity of the situation dawned upon me as I chased after Mademoiselle.

Segment 45 [Sol] "Time Together: Wait Please!?"
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 01:47:28 AM »
    No sooner had it happened, did it end.  In the void from thought the ensued, I wasn't concerned with what went wrong, nor why.  My mind was wrapped around one fragile detail: these cookies suck.

After I realized the very real danger of what Mademoiselle meant, I panicked.  Should I pursue her?  Wouldn't that be improper?  Should I asked directly what was wrong so I could correct it?  What should I do?!

As my feet carried me after her, I was caught at a loss over how quickly she moved.  When I reached the doors, Mademoiselle was no longer in sight.  Left to wonder over what to do next, I shifted around the halls in hope of encountering her.  With what little luck I had, I found her on my first try.  Unfortunately, I ended up directly in front of her, causing both of us to jump back from shock.

With Mademoiselle before me, I lost my composure and tried to piece together some conversation, "Um-"

"It was you!?" she declared.

"Me?" I thought, "What did I do?"

"That hurt, you know!" she continued to my confusion.

Taking notice of her posture, I stepped back and bowed as I apologized, "I'm so sorry, Mademoiselle.  I didn't mean to hurt you."  Raising my vision to check her expression, I continued, "Is your head feeling better?"

Turning her eyes away, Mademoiselle responded, "Well, i-"

"Mademoiselle, please enter!" interrupted a voice from overhead.

Startled by the interruption, Mademoiselle murmured, "Ah, I shouldn't keep Sister waiting on me..."

Even though she said so.  It was very evident that she wasn't going to be going anywhere.  Her anxiety must have been overwhelming if she was frozen stiff.  Feeling her depression spill into my head, I shook away my fears as I nudged her forward.  Uncertain of whether I was overstepping my boundaries, I was startled when Mademoiselle turned and said, "Let's go."

I don't know if "idiotic stupor" or "terrorized panic" would better describe my expression since I was feeling both quite strongly.   Despite that, we both pressed on and entered the Dining Hall where Madame awaited.

The accumulating pressure that choked the surrounding space which blurred my sight, the reverberations of each heartbeat that poured across my chest and fueled my anxiety, the majesty that commanded my to genuflect at her feet, such was Madame's overwhelming presence.

I tried hard to contain my childish whimpers from the crippling fear.  Drooping my shoulders down and relaxing my arms into a passive state, I felt my rationale fitter incoherently as I doubted my choice to chase after Mademoiselle.  Then, with a sting of shock, I felt a warmth grasp at my hand.  With a stifled shiver, I looked closer to see that it was Mademoiselle that was holding my forearm.

"What's wrong?" I reflexively whispered.  Receiving silence in reply, I tried to solidify her resolve.  With confidence I was unaware of, I assured her, "That's right, there's nothing wrong."

Locking eyes with her that's-not-funny glare, I continued my speech, "You're here to talk to you sister, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Right?"

Having broken her death glare, I felt her grip tighten around my arm.  Leaning closer, I pressed her along, "Go on.  You don't want to keep her waiting, right?"

Slowly, Mademoiselle released her hands from my arm and inched forward.  As thoughts of "Where did I hear that all from before?" filled my attention, I snapped back to reality when Madame's booming voice called, "That will be all."

In the momentary gap of my shifting attention, I heard Mademoiselle's retreating footsteps clatter away at a hastened pace.  With the disbelief that filled my head, I was compelled by some alien force to speak my mind only to have Professor appear behind me and say, "Flandre's waiting for you so you shouldn't keep her waiting."

With the confusion of a millennium rolled into a second's time, I excused myself and shifted into the library.  There, Mademoiselle was seated at the table in front of the platter of cookies.  Taking notice of my arrival, she stood up and complained with a pout, "You're late!"

"Late for what?" I shyly asked, feeling lost in all my confusion.

With a wide grin, Mademoiselle loudly replied, "For something fun!"

Segment 46 "Pointless Day For Suspicion"
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2009, 02:03:27 AM »
    From the peaceful tide of midday, a new concern appeared.  The Hakurei Miko received an invitation to the home of two recent incidents: the Scarlet Devil's mansion.  Feeling heavy burdens throughout the morning, she arrived while wondering about the looming dangers to threaten Gensokyo: the next incident that would take place there.

After Reimu climbed the central stairwell in the center of the foyer, she followed her escort's instruction and waited by the southern doors.  Before her stood two exquisite doors that featured an intricate arabesque design.  With roaming eyes, she gazed across the foyer and passed short glances at the tapestry over the stairs and the banister guiding the path.

Flawed but still majestic, the tapestry showed several shades of fading colors as the materials bled across one another.  Emblazoned with symbols and shapes that could barely be recognized, it hung from the wall for whatever assembly gathered therein to be able to marvel at it.

Likewise, the banister was showing its age.  Along the edge of the upper floor, the polished railing was covered with imperfections.  Splintered edges, charred paint, and newly replaced supports were littered throughout the view as the memory of the recent battle returned to Reimu's mind.

Shaking away the displeasure, she was startled as a body burst out from the doors.  Turning her attention to the sudden distraction, she recognized the retreating shape to be Flandre, the younger Scarlet.  The blurred mass hopped along the steps at an impressive rate, and as her eyes followed after, she heard a voice behind her from the other side of the now-open doors.

Adjusting her sights past the doors, she caught sight of a blacked cloud fade away from view.  As Reimu wondered about the cloud, she had her attention broken by a loud coughing sound.  Patchouli intended to announce her arrival, but was waiting for Reimu to enter as well.  Finally remembering that final piece to her instructions, Reimu hurriedly made her way through the doors.

With the guest's entry, Patchouli cleared her throat as she continued with her task, "Presenting, Hakurei Reimu of the Hakurei Shrine."

"Welcome, dear Reimu!" Remilia greeted as she rose from her seat, "I trust the journey here wasn't too bothersome."

"No trouble at all," Reimu courtly replied as she gestured a bow to her hostess, "And thank you for the warm welcome.  It's an honor to be invited; even on such short notice.

"But enough of that!  Come!  Have a seat!  There is much I would like to speak with you about!" Remilia urged as she gestured her hand to a nearby seat with a cup of tea already set in place.

Reimu felt resistant at the suggestion and hesitated.  The sensation was akin to awkwardness as she had twice intruded upon the home as a force of opposition.  Now, as a formally invited guest, she felt unprepared for the reception.

The feeling of reluctance increased with the grand scene that stood before her.  Although its spacious abundance was left largely empty, there was an eloquent majesty about it that was more overbearing to her than it should have been.  As her wandering attention returned to her hostess, Reimu realized the rudeness in her delay and proceeded to respond only to stop with another realization: they were alone.

In the short moment that passed between the reception and Reimu's fluttered reaction, Patchouli and Sakuya had received Remilia's dismissal.  With expert execution, both servants exited from the Grand Dining Hall without drawing notice from Reimu.  Addled beyond comprehension, Reimu slowly made her way to the tremendous table to take the seat offered by her hostess.

The awkward air hung around them as Reimu smiled uncomfortably.  With things as they were, she felt that being tactful was an insignificant concern.  Expelling her hesitation with a sigh, she asked, "So, what did you need to speak with me about?"

"As you may already know, part of the reason I invited you was to express my gratitude," Remilia replied, "There has been such a change in my sister, and I am gladdened to know things will be better; all thanks to you."

"You may say that, but I didn't really do anything," Reimu complained, still confused about the youkai's ramblings.

Bearing a small frown, Remilia complained, "And that's the most infuriating part!  Try as I have, time and again, there has been no progress or change.  Then you come along, do nothing, and now, she's like a whole new person; it makes no sense!"

Reimu's smile concealed her discontentment from the remark.  "Actually, there was a lot of hard work involved," she wanted to mention, but was beaten to the chance.

"There's no point in discrediting yourself," Remilia stated in a pleasantly subdued tone, "Whatever was done was thanks solely to you."

Briefly glancing down to her teacup, Remilia corrected her posture and rose from her seat.  Passing the distance between herself and her guest with simple strides, she smiled radiantly as she conveyed herself purposefully.

Gesturing a curtsy, she courtly declared, "Thank you, Reimu, for being you."

Taking humor in the 'serious' display, Reimu failed to contain her giggles as she mused, "It's what I do best."

With the deathly stagnant atmosphere lifted from the room, Remilia returned to her seat.  It was her intention to express gratitude to her guest; not smother her with formalities.  Sharing a smile in the lightened mood, she received a sudden change.

"What else did you need, then?" Reimu asked, a serious tone in her voice and a stern gaze from her eyes.

"The remainder will be made apparent shortly," Remilia informed while taking a sip of her tea.

"What's that suppose to mean?" Reimu demanded.

With a teasingly auspicious glare, Remilia replied, "It hasn't happened, yet."

Racing to the door, Reimu was stopped when she heard, "That won't be necessary."

Turning with a stern glare, she demanded, "What's you're aim?"

"You'll understand," Remilia mused still gazing at her teacup, "Right... about... now."

As if on cue, a tremendous tremor shook at the foundation of the home.  Reimu stumbled as the quake seemed to carry into the air as well.  She couldn't idle away when the culprit was still nearby, could she?  Resolved to hunt down the cause, she resumed her approach to the exit when more interruptions appeared.  From the doorway, Patchouli appeared and smiled suspiciously at the exiting guest.

"What is your report?" echoed Remilia's voice which caused Reimu to hesitate.

"The entire rear entryway is collapsed.  Portions of the kitchen and lower dining hall are ruined.  The central stairwell is beyond salvageable," Patchouli announced to Reimu's horror, "All within acceptable values."

"What!?" the flabbergasted miko exclaimed, "What crazy plan have you been scheming?!"

With a growing smirk, the savant replied, "Your answer will be along shortly."

Left in more confusion, Reimu's thoughts were interrupted by a suggestion, "Come!  Take your seat!  The show has only begun!"

Resentment grew within Reimu's mind as her thoughts demanded, "What have I gotten myself into?"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:26:41 PM by Zer0Axiom »

Segment 47 [Marisa] "The Harmless Day"
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2009, 02:23:17 AM »
    "Guess I'll go there..."

My target was spiteful vengeance!  It was thanks to her that I haven't been able to sleep well for the past few days, and that my work has been making no progress.  It was going to be a glorious moment of triumph for me when I repossess some new texts from her library.  It was the single reason for my heated approach, my crusade to achieve success.

"I will tolerate none to hinder my path!"

I guess I was feeling a bit hotheaded, but that didn't change much of my reasoning, nor my judgment.  I knew full well the dangers of that place and was fully intent on continuing with my plans.  I haven't hesitated before, and now won't be any different.

Closing in on my target, I circled around to the back and dove in to an unassuming altitude.  I skipped with the touchdown and cast my magic to open the door.  With one obstacle down, I rushed through the next set of swinging doors.

To my unfortunate horror, there was someone in my flightpath and I was tossed a distance across the carpeting.  Preparing my magic to silence the speed bump, my voice gave out when I realized whom I hit.

Odd wings that were adorn with crystals, long blond hair to one side, red outfit that barely fit her, overwhelming aura that demanded death; it was the other Scarlet vampire, the younger sister.

My body reacted before my head as I lunged forward and took hold of my broom then propelled myself overhead.  Away from her scanning gaze, I landed silently on the other side of the large stairwell that centered the room.

Barely able to breathe, I felt my body quiver as she cried out, "Who?  Who hit me?!  WHO!?"

As the regrets started to form in the corner of my mind, I returned to attentiveness as I heard someone else speak.

"Mademoiselle, are you alright?" asked a voice very similar to that one maid.

Responding to the question, the vampire demanded, "Sakuya, was it you?"

"I heard you calling for something, but I'm uncertain as to what you needed," Sakuya explained to defend herself, "May I be of assistance somehow?"

"Um, I was gonna go talk to Sister, but then my head started hurting and i-nn"

"Ah, then allow me this intrusion," the maid suggested, "A trick to cure your pain."

I couldn't hear what they did, but I knew it was over when Sakuya asked, "Are you feeling better?  Good.  Then, shall I go and announce your arrival to Madame?"

There was a break from the following silence as I heard footsteps climb up the central stairs.  My chance to charge was stalled as I noticed light steps from the other side of the stairwell, someone was still there.  Inching along the opposite rail, the footfalls were uneven and disorganized.  If it really was one person, then it was as if that person was shuffling to and fro indecisively.  Wanting to go, but rejecting the chance, the distance began to increase back and decrease forth until there was a sudden yip and clatter.

"Um-"  "It was you!?" called two voices.

"That hurt, you know!" complained the vampire.

"I'm so sorry, Mademoiselle.  I didn't mean to hurt you," responded the newcomer, "Is your head feeling better?"

The first voice was interrupted from her reply as "Mademoiselle, please enter!" echoed from overhead.

Without a moment's delay, one of the two murmured, "Ah, I shouldn't keep Sister waiting on me..."

Following a short pause, she proceeded to command the other with a "Let's go!" and they proceeded up the staircase; affording me an opportunity to slip by.

As I rushed along, I contemplated what I encountered.  It was unusual and conversely unexpected.  I faced more dangerous odds than that and not quivered, but to feel the chilling shakes of fear and to cave under its urges to hide from a single glance, it boggled my mind.  It wasn't from her power, it couldn't be from her physical shape, she wasn't holding anything particularly special, and she was alone; so what was I reacting to?  Unable to find an answer, I arrived at the destination and resumed with my scheme.

After a brief moment of repossession, I had a modest collection of books in tow when I heard a voice call out, "You're late!"

Taking the voice as my cue to exit, I secured the luggage and made my way to the ceiling so I could avoid wandering eyes.  As I got closer, I managed to identify the ones present: the younger sister and the clumsy assistant.  Keeping myself out of their view, I hovered ever closer to the door when I heard, "There's something here!"

With a jolt, the baggage collapsed and spilled its contents downward as the vampire continued her rambling, "And the winner is the one that--"

Buried under a piled of magical texts, she was stopped mid-statement as attention was drawn to me.  Reacting immediately, I declared a bomb and disabled the red-haired pest before the situation could become more complicated.  Throwing the loose sac over my back, I raced away with what little I could lay claim to.

"Careless," I grumbled, "How could I be so careless?"

Rounding the last doors to the exit, I encountered another obstacle: the maid.

"Careless, indeed," she parroted as the rear entryway was filled with razor sharp knives.

I didn't get the chance to blink before a voice roared from behind me, "Taboo: L?vateinn!"

Caught in a cross of metal and magic without a chance to react, I felt my body be thrown off of my broom and into a wall.  With a heavy quake, the blast cut through and exposed us to a faint ray of sun.  My head was still spinning as I tried to collect my composure and loot.

"I'm seeing things right?" my thoughts asked as I looked at the books, or rather, the lack of books.

There were a few bindings and several loose pages, but the collective as a book was nonexistent.  "Aren't they protected by magic?" my thoughts continued.

Lifting one of the empty bindings left ash in my palm as the cover crumbled to dust.  Lost in my confusion, I simply sat there as a question crept into focus: What's going on?

"WHERE!?  Where did you go!?" demanded the culprit to the destruction.  With her eyes shielded and metal bludgeon overhead, she was like a lit fuse waiting to explode as the energy gathered into her weapon.

"You've captured her, Mademoiselle!" the soot covered maid replied as she glanced sternly at my blank expression, "Isn't that right?"

"Don't lie to me," she commanded after the silent pause, "Where is-"

"I'm being truthfully," the maid retorted before repeating, "Right?"

"Eh-heh-he..." was all I could manage as a response; given my mental state.

"Then, I really caught it?" the small girl asked, now trying to hide from the glaring light.

"Yes, you did," encouraged the maid, "Right?"

"I-I, um," fumbling over my words, I just gave into the charade, "You, ah, got me..."

She was eventually ushered away as a single thought continued echoing in my mind, "What just happened?"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:32:15 PM by Zer0Axiom »

Segment 48 [Marisa] "The Hopeless Day"
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2009, 12:02:28 AM »
    "... and that will be your punishment."

Talk about having been set up.  As it turns out, today was a really bad day to have left home.  I entered the overly reddened home in hopes of relieving some stress.  Instead, I get more added on.  In my failed escape, I nearly lost my life, and there was no point in trying to run.  At least Reimu was here to keep things fair.

"Far too lenient."

... or maybe not.  "I'll remember this, Reimu!" I declared to myself.

"This is boring!" complained the source of my new stress.

In the brief encounter in the rear entryway, I was blockaded by the ever-busy maid.  After her initial attack, we were both ambushed by a rampaging maniac.  That maniac was none other than the owner's younger sibling.  She managed to ruin a large portion of the western side of the large building and nearly buried everyone in ashen debris.  She was also the single reason why I didn't try to escape again; the last thing I needed was to give her an excuse to hunt me down.

After submitting to defeat, I was lead into a grand looking room where everyone else was waiting, including Reimu.  Apparently, they were going to decide what type of punishment to serve me with Reimu there as an impartial mediator, but if I didn't know any better, I'd say she was in on the conspiracy against me.

With the home wrecker fidgeting needlessly, her older sister suggested, "Why don't you play with that one for a while."

Pointing casually in my direction, the ruin bringer asked, "May I?"

Receiving a nod of confirmation, the energetic tyke leapt for joy as she raced toward me.  I was in a panic for an argument to avert the playtime, but my complaints fell apart at the menacing smiles that emanated auspicious horror from the three that were still near the oversized table: Reimu, Remilia, and Sakuya.  With another defeated sigh, I tried to prepare for the time ahead as the others revised my punishment.

Drawing together my nerves and resolve, I asked, "So, what kinda game did you want to play?"

Hesitating with consideration, she suggested, "Your pretty fast, so how about we play tag?"

"Sounds interesting," my thoughts mused, "So any special rules?"

"I don't know if it's a special rule, but when I play, we tag with this," she replied with an innocent smile as she unveiled the large black object she was wielding when she annihilated the exit.

"Definitely a no!  What kind of a moron plays like that?!" I wanted to protest, but I knew better than to ask something like that.  Instead, I complained, "That doesn't seem very fun though."

"But it is!" she insisted.

"Not if you're being chased," I argued.

With a displeased glare, she pouted, "Fine, here.  You chase then."

She held her hand out and offered the object to me, and I couldn't help but feel shocked and confused.

"Is that thing safe?  Should you really be offering it to others so readily?  Should I take it?" I couldn't decide on what to say.

Glancing around helplessly, I asked, "Are you sure?"

"You'll play if you're not being chased, right?" she asked, showing her distinct disdain for boredom.

Reaching for the object, I grasped it as she smiled brilliantly once more.  Unfortunately, that thing nearly tore off my arm.  I don't know what it was, or how it was possible, but the object felt like it weighed a ton!  It pulled me by the fingers with enough force to plow through the flooring.  I needed both hands just to keep one end level, the other end was on the floor.  We hadn't even begun yet, and I was breaking out with sweat.

"And she carries this effortlessly!?" my pain shrieked to myself as she hopped about ready to begin her game of tag.

Hoisting with all my weight, I lifted the object over my shoulder and managed a full two steps before driving it back down.  Needless to say, I missed entirely and resigned to a loss.

"You're no fun!" she complained.

Wiping off the sweat of wasted effort, I argued, "That was harder than it sounded..."

"Then how about..." she mused as she considered a different game.

With my breath evening back to normal, I suggested, "Why not play one of my games?"

Her eyes opened wider as she murmured, "Do you know any fun ones?"

A confident smirk stretched across my face as I boasted, "I know a few good ones."

"Pick one!  Pick one!" she demanded, overly eager to have fun, I suppose.

Needing a good premise to impress the tireless playmate, I chose a simple game.  It wasn't so much a game for me as it was more of a training exercise.  What it entailed doing was trowing a small object out and then hitting it with an attack before it could hit the ground.  It was actually an oversimplified way of just shooting things, but it was simple and easy to play.

I'm not sure why, but she liked the idea and was all too eager to get started, not even worrying about hearing its name or any other suggestions.  Delayed by the odd fact that there was nothing on hand that we could throw, the mood crashed rather hard until an uplifting answer was given.

"Just use the silverware," the older sister suggested.

With no counteroffers or complaints, we were given some expensive looking forks and spoons to destroy in the name of fun.

"Such a waste," I complained internally, but then again, it wasn't my loss.

Lining up for our little game, I prepared to make the first throw.  Afterward, she would make the attempt to shoot down the flying metal spoon, and then we'd switch roles.  The rules were all too simple, but that was better than a complicated explanation.

Preparing a trick throw, I made the toss with dynamic force.  The trick was that the throw made for a sudden curve in its arc and the unsuspecting competitor would miss as a result.  It might not sound very fair, but I needed every advantage that I could muster.

The throw went far and as expected, the shift in trajectory gave it enough distance to sail by as the little one's shot missed entirely.

"Did I get it?" she asked while trembling with anticipation.

As I was about to answer her, I heard the commentary from the spectators: "Nice shot!"  "Well done, Flandre!"  "Congratulations, Mademoiselle!"

"Yeah!  I did it!" she cheered victoriously.

"She did it!?" my fading smirk demanded an explanation, "She clearly missed!"

"What are you talking about?"  "You're pitifully human senses are sadly mistaken."  "Did you not notice?" the three remarked.

Glaring furiously, I suddenly realized what they meant.  If she really did miss, then where is the spoon?  There would have been a clatter or a sound of some sort when the silver clump landed on the ground.  It was then that I finally saw the answer to my question.

A distance away, there lay a splattered mess of liquidized metal coating the marble tiles.  Her attack didn't hit directly, but it still utterly destroyed the spoon.  I wasn't specific enough to discredit the differences between a hit and a miss.  Overruled my the majority, I congratulated her on her success, but the game had only just begun.

Now, it was my time to shine.  I readied my Master Spark and waited for the throw.  It was my game, and I wouldn't stand to be outdone by a first timer.  With the slight tap of a step as the cue, I unleashed the blast as she released the flying metal.

The radiant surge of power blinded all who even glanced at it.  The overwhelming might couldn't possibly have missed.  I felt the confidence in my display as the blast faded to a calm.

"How about that!?" I cheered, completely assured of my success.

"That's too bad Marisa,"  "Such a wasteful display,"  "Better luck next time," the three mocked.

Facing me with unease, the small one asked, "Did you really miss with that?"

There was no way that I could have possibly missed with Master Spark!  It was an impossibility!  I demanded satisfaction!  My outcry was answered with a simple display.

The maid paced to the opposite wall and glanced closer to were my shot had stained the walls.  Uneasiness graced my mind as I continued to watch her pan the scene.  Then, finding what she sought, she seemed to remove a speck from the ceiling and approached me.

Holding out her hand, she offered to me what seemed like a rounded coin.  It stretched thinly near its edge and was smeared into an elliptic shape.  As I wondered what the object was supposed to mean, the answer shot through me like a volley of shooting stars.

It was only obvious enough: the metallic object was what was left of the fork that was thrown.  It flew with such an incredible speed, that it outran Master Spark and was flattened as a speck on the ceiling before it could even be hit.

The mistake I made was in comparing our abilities as being anywhere near equal.  She was stronger, more powerful, and more capable than I could even hope of being.  I was doomed to defeat and raced headlong to it believing otherwise.

A defeated smile adorned my face as I congratulated the winner, "I didn't stand a chance."

With much cheering, she danced gleefully and raced back to her seat at the table.

"I didn't miss anything important, did I?" inquired the pyromaniac as she entered the room.

With a shrug of her shoulders, the pompous mastermind mused, "Just Flandre's decisive victory over the intruder."

"We were going to announce the revised decree," the maid added.

And so, my punishment was finalized... "Hooray!"
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:50:41 AM by Zer0Axiom »

Segment 49 "Useless Day For Explanation"
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »
    Trice has the Scarlet Devil's home been host to incident.  Among them, only one was directly relevant to the the remainder of Gensokyo, and one was not resolved by the Hakurei Miko.  With the resettling peace that accompanies resolution, the gathering of the home's residents was host to their new guests as the day continued to pass by.

"I liked the other punishment better," Marisa complained.

"All the more reason for its changed," Reimu chided.

"And this would be a punishment?" inquired Flandre.

"It's probably a human thing," her sister replied.

"If there's nothing else, I have something to say," Patchouli announced.

Gathering the attention to herself, she informed, "This might seem odd, but for a time now, there has been a sound, of sorts, that echoes throughout the basement."

The focus of the announcement shifted form Patchouli to Flandre.  Like a child having been outed for a prank, she protested innocence, "It wasn't me; I didn't do anything wrong!"

Shaking her head, Patchouli remarked, "Indeed, nothing wrong was done.  What I wanted to note was how much progress those sounds have made.  Don't you think now would be as good a time as any to share your secret?"

"But, I'm not ready -!" Flandre complained before realizing her slip up.  Shriveling with embarrassment, Flandre sank into her seat as she glared disdainfully at her teacup.

Leaning forward, Remilia whispered, "You don't need to worry.  If Patchouli thinks you're can share it, then I believe you are ready.  So won't you share it with me?"

Flandre glanced around at the encouraging smiles that wrestled away her hesitation.  Looking over to her sister, she replied with a smile, "Then, I'll give you this present now."

Giggling lightly, she stood up from her seat and searched for an appropriate stage for her performance.  Caught with indecisiveness, she received as a suggestion, "The table will be fine," "Yeah, so we all can see it."

With a nod, she paced a distance along the table and climbed atop her stage.  Turning to face her audience, she introduced herself, "Welcome to the Last Minute Show!  I'll be your only performance for this event.  Without further delay, the Scarlet Star performing Glistening Eve!"

Closing her eyes, Flandre slowly recited to herself the rhythm and took firm hold to the center of her metallic staff.  Gradually beginning her piece with simple strokes to gems that hung from her wings, she continued with the motions and added more patterns in the display.

Through the short intro, Patchouli spoke to Reimu, "It seems you don't hear it."

"Was I supposed to hear something?" Reimu asked back, uncertain about the significance to the remark.

"Not particularly, but you are the only one hear that can't hear it."

Receiving the notification, Reimu observed the others and realized how engrossed they seemed.  Puzzled at the sight, she glanced over to Flandre's continued show and then back to Patchouli.

"I'm not sure if it's your powers or just you, but maybe that's why it happened," smiling at Reimu, Patchouli explained, "The chime from those crystals creates a unique sound in the ears of the ones that hear them.  Specifically, those sounds are meant to generate a calming sensation within the listener.  It's interesting that you can't hear it, and I can't help but wonder why."

Processing the information, Reimu glared back at Patchouli, "What else have you done to her?"

"If you must know, her wings are made of materials that continually drain the power from her body.  It's the only way she can contain her immense power."

Reimu turned her sight away and tried to calm herself with the tea before her.  Having barely finished her cup, she heard Patchouli continue with the explanation, "Ideally, the wings, crystals, and even that wand provide enough resistance to keep her calm, but you've already seen the level of strength she still possesses."

"What's the point in telling me all this?" Reimu quietly demanded.

"I wanted you to know so you would keep yourself safe next time."

Reimu's body stiffened.  "'Next time'?  Was that what today was about?"  Staring with accusation, she asked, "So you want me to keep away, next time?"

"If you would, yes," Patchouli confirmed as Flandre completed her song.

With the showering praise, Reimu's smile was all she could muster.  Containing her grief in her thoughts, she pondered over the request, "If next time really happened, would I really be able to keep out?"

Segment 50 [Meiling] "At Event's End?"
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2010, 11:40:34 AM »
    Doubts grow from where there is no trust.  If I truly trust them, I should not doubt them.  But with the recent string of commotion, doubting would be the natural thing to do.  Even still, I must hold calm and stand firm, "They would not do something so recklessly if not without purpose, right?"

The quiet evening stretched on as the day grew shorter.  With the disquieting curiosity that continued to weigh on my mind, I found myself glancing back through the gate.  My concerns from so long ago continued to ring in my ears as I tried to recollect my confidence.

"I need not worry, everything was accounted for.  They would not be as shortsighted as to leave a problem unaddressed.  Everything is fine."

"Indeed, everything is fine," a voice echoed and broke my conflicted state.

"Sakuya," I identified, and took notice of the platter in her hands.  With mechanical reaction, I pried the gates back for her as I voiced my observation, "You did not need to go through the trouble of bringing me my meal.  Besides, it is still early."

With her unflinching smile, Sakuya replied, "It is no trouble at all, and that aside, mealtime has been made busier due to the earlier ordeal.  I hope you understand."

Accepting the meal with apologetic confusion, I seated myself by the gate as Sakuya recounted her day to me.  It seemed to consist largely of Mademoiselle's play-date and even included the moments after the unmistakable destruction on the mansion.  As the story moved indoors, I chuckled along the game that took place and found myself idyllically reconstructing Mademoiselle's song.

It was then that Sakuya shot me a question, "Did you know that Sol couldn't taste anything?"

Caught in momentary confusion, I looked back to find Sakuya's countenance show a different degree of seriousness.  Turning my gaze back towards the lake, I gathered my thoughts on the subject and looked farther into my memories.  It has been an odd 60 years since I was taken under Madame's wings.  Sol came into Patchouli's care some 40 years ago.  Sakuya joined only after we all arrived here, and compared to then, she had changed so much.

The more I thought of it, the more it stood out, "Sakuya is a human, after all."

"Do pardon me for being human," Sakuya courtly chided as I realized what I muttered.

"I did not mean it negatively.  It -," I tried to explain before stumbling over my thoughts.  Clearing my voice, I tried once more to speak my thoughts, "A youkai does not change so simply, and in a world of youkai, the world does not change.  Although you may not have been in this home for long, it feels as though you have always been one of us; like you will always be with us.  So when I think of it, I have to remind myself, 'Sakuya is really a human.'"

Taken in with the prevailing silence that followed, Sakuya smiled and remarked, "That's nice, but you've avoided the question."

"Oh, have I?" I mused confusedly, "What was it again?"

With the rolling clatter of the dish in hand, I recalled the object of discussion.  Recollecting my thoughts, I asked, "Did you know about her scars?"

With a shifting glare, Sakuya replied, "I know of them."

"But, you have yet to hear the 'why?' right?" I pressed and received silence in reply.  Calming myself from the memories, I offered my answer, "There is a connection.  Even though I know of the connection, I am uncertain as to what that connection is.  Actually, I am certain that Sol is unaware of it as well."

"Is it so problematic that you must be so secretive of it?" Sakuya asked, obviously discontent with my rambling.

"Less so secretive, more so complicated," I remarked, "If you want the full details, you need to ask Patchouli.  The answer that I can give is that she was a subject.  That was all I understood."

Sakuya buried her expression with concern as she murmured, "If it's really that complicated, I guess I shouldn't bother."

The sun had cast its final shadow as Sakuya headed back towards the mansion.  I was left with my thoughts and an empty bowl as I delved into our lingering discussion.

"What does it all mean?" I asked to no one in particular as the confusing blend of change continued to mix.