Author Topic: Your Touhou and Hair Color  (Read 7846 times)

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
Your Touhou and Hair Color
« on: August 17, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »
I just thought about this on a whim...

With the many characters coming out at every game, it's slightly hard to find connections to each other, personality wise. So I was thinking... why not their hair color that would somewhat define their characters, there has to be a reason for such. So, I thought of a few so far.

*Since every character may be different in personality, despite the hair color... I will give a handful of examples that may make sense. Feel free to comment otherwise.

Blonds
-The most numerous hair color, every game has at least 1 blond.
-Very playful, despite their power potential (Yukari & Ran are known to be extremely powerful but doesn't seem to serious, Marisa is also another, as well as Yuugi. Even Suwako enjoys a danmaku fight)
-Often lives quite secluded (Ran & Yukari, Marisa & Alice)

Redheads
-Often the servitude of others (Koakuma, Meiling, Komachi & Rin)
-At the same time, very lazy, but loves their job nonetheless (Meiling & Komachi)

Bluehaired
-Do their own thing despite causing problems to others (Remiliar & Tenshi, to an extent, Kanako)
-Still, they're nice once you get to know them (Remilia, Tenshi, Nitori, Keine)

Greenhaired
-Very varied in personality
-Often very likable despite their initial appearance & attitude (Yuuka, Hina, Sanae, etc)

Silver/White Haired
-Very mysterious past (Sakuya, Eirin, Youmu, Mokou partially)
-Serves a master (Sakuya, Eirin, Youmu, Momoji, Futo)
-Seems to hold a sharp weapon (Sakuya's knives, Youmu & Momoji carries a sword, Eirin a bow)

Purple/Violet/Lilac
-Often peaceful or try to keep the peace (Byakuren, Patchouli, Reisen)
-Very intelligent (Patchouli, Byakuren, etc.)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Your Touhou and Hair Color
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:07:34 PM »
Good luck trying to find common ground among Gensokyo's brunettes!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 02:48:36 PM »
Byakuren is also a blond, no? Also Reisen keeping the peace when her power is to create lunacy. That's very ironic.

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »
I could be wrong in some of them... hence I'm asking some of your opinions.

Maybe, Reisen's a stretch though.

Ibaraki

• 茨華仙
  • Keeping things disciplined
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
I think Byakuren is more appropriate under brunette label.

Here is what I have to add:
Black-haired
  • Rather sneaky and mischievous by nature (Aya, Nue, Murasa, Kaguya, Tewi, and Star Sapphire)
  • Usually the lucky one (Tewi and Star Sapphire)
--

Trying to find common ground for brunettes sure is a spiky road to walk on.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
Maybe Brunettes are the ones who simply don't fit anywhere else?

Worth noting PC-98 Reimu was Purple-haired, and well... she's Reimu.

And Reisen's powers conflict with who Reisen is. She's got the power of 'controlling waves' including brainwaves, letting her induce insanity, but is one of the sanest characters in Gensokyo. She's 'Nice Person, Bad Powers' in a nutshell, and she *does* tend to keep the peace in Eientei, especially among the rabbits, unless I'm mistaken and it's mainly Tewi who does that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:00:07 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 08:03:24 PM »
While Reisen is technically the one responsible for ordering around the rabbits, Tewi is the one with real power over them, IIRC. They'll give priority to what she says over anything that Reisen says. After all, Tewi was their leader long before any lunarian set foot on the Bamboo forest.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 09:49:50 PM »
While Reisen is technically the one responsible for ordering around the rabbits, Tewi is the one with real power over them, IIRC. They'll give priority to what she says over anything that Reisen says. After all, Tewi was their leader long before any lunarian set foot on the Bamboo forest.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reisen nudged Tewi into not being as prankish with her rabbit army, however, which would likely inconvenience Eientei if they annoyed the wrong people.

I don't know enough about SSiB to comment on how Reisen was portrayed there, and the canon of that is disputable ANYWAY.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
I think you mean "Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth", yes? "Silent Sinner in Blue"'s canonicity isn't really disputable.

Anyway, Tewi is older, and is the owner of the land. The lunarians only live there because Tewi allows it, as Eirin recalls in CiLR. If Eirin herself can barely command Tewi, you can bet that Reisen has no sway on her whatsoever. Reisen isn't a very good leader, anyway; she's cowardly, and not particularly smart. The rabbits really don't have any reason to listen to her.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Tengukami

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »
Reisen isn't a very good leader, anyway; she's cowardly, and not particularly smart. The rabbits really don't have any reason to listen to her.
You can say it: she's just a useless bunny, only good for her sex appeal.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
To be honest I don't think she's good for sex appeal either.

Anyway, CiLR makes it very clear that A) Tewi is in charge of all the Earth rabbits, and they only listen to Tewi. B) Tewi is letting the Lunarians hang out in her forest as a favor. Tewi is the landlord, and Eirin is the guest. Eirin has no authority over Tewi, she only asks for favors. C) Reisen is too stupid/arrogant to realize what the power balance is. She just assumes that as a Moon rabbit she's higher ranking than an Earth rabbit and tries to boss them around. They don't listen to her because why would they? She's the newbie who only arrived a few decades ago. And when they don't listen to her she just complains to Eirin without stopping to think about anything.

In short, Reisen's kind of stupid. Being "the only sane one" is just her own delusion.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »

so hot

In short, Reisen's kind of stupid. Being "the only sane one" is just her own delusion.
Well, compared to basically everyone else in Gensokyo, she's the least trigger-happy, and the most likely to be the tsukkomi of the situation. That "only sane one" position is mostly related to how the character reacts to the situations around them, and she's usually the one that has the deadpan or incredulous reactions that "normal" people would have.

She really is hilariously inept and out of touch with Earth's reality, though.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 07:10:17 AM »
Black-haired
  • Rather sneaky and mischievous by nature (Aya, Nue, Murasa, Kaguya, Tewi, and Star Sapphire)
--

Damn, even fits with my OC. Well done.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:24:32 AM by RegretDesi »
checkFINISHED checkFINISHED checkFINISHED
checkcheckcheck FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
checkcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheck
FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
<Die The death>! <Sentence to death>! <Great equalizer is The Death>!

Tengukami

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
Black-haired
--

Ah yeah ... never considered differentiating between black hair and brunettes. I tend to lump them together. Good job on the black-haired, though I'm not seeing Kaguya's "mischievous" nature, unless you're referring to this.

So, if we exclude the raven-haired, this leaves us with Reimu, Chen, Utsuho, Rika (lol) and maaaaybe Byakuren (if you exclude her funky rainbow stylings) as Gensokyo's actual brunettes. I'm probably forgetting a few, but what do these girls have in common?

itisamystery.png

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »
A little quick to use force, if you exclude Byakuren.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
Wait, what's so lol about Rika? We know she breaks the fourth wall, is quick to anger, and uses disproportionate force [TANKS]. Rika probobly has more character than 90% of PC-98 characters, and some Windows, simply by virtue of being in two stages :V

In fact, Reimu is kinda quick to solve problems with force too.

As is Utusho.

Chen, not so much. She was more attacked by Reimu and co.

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »
Mamizou also is a brunette and isn't quick to use force at all, though. There's also a few more brunettes like Kagerou, Hatate, Lyrica and Yatsuhashi, and I feel you won't be getting far grouping them.

A lot of these groupings seem incredibly farfetched to me, really. You say Ran doesn't seem too serious, but she's really one of the most serious characters in the series (so is Lunasa, another blonde). Parsee and Yuugi are pretty much polar opposites and... yeah, you see what I'm getting at; the blondes are really just too heterogenous to group them together distinctively.
Same for the others. You say Remi, Tenshi and Yuuka are nice and likable, but they really... aren't. At least, many other characters fit that bill much more, making them actually some of the least likely characters to have blue/green hair by your definition.

ZUN probably had his reasons for the hair colours of some characters (and I would imagine he just picked some of them at random), but it isn't something as simple as "servant = redheads".

Just for the hell of it, I have compiled a list of characters by hair colour:
Blonde: [Elis, Ellen, Kana, Chiyuri, Kurumi, Elly, Mugetsu, Gengetsu, Luize, Yuki, Yumeko,] Marisa, Rumia, Flandre, Alice, Lily White, Lunasa, Ran, Yukari, Medicine, Shizuha, Minoriko, Suwako, Yamame, Parsee, Yuugi, Shou, Byakuren (partly), Luna Child, Miko, Toyohime, Maribel
Orange/Ginger: [Orange?,] Suika, Sunny Milk, Kosuzu?
Red: [ShinGyoku Female, SoEW Marisa, Kotohime, Yumemi, Orange?,] Hong Meiling, Koakuma, Komachi, Orin, Sekibanki, Raiko?, Kosuzu?
Brunette: [Rika,] Reimu, Chen, Lyrica, Utsuho?, Hatate, Star Sapphire, Mamizou, Kagerou, Yatsuhashi, Raiko?, Renko
Black: [ShinGyoku Male, Konngara,] Tewi, Kaguya, Aya, Utsuho?, Murasa, Nue, Seija
Pink: [Sara,] Yuyuko, Mystia, Satori, Kokoro, Kasen
Purple/Lavender/etc.: [PC-98 Reimu, Meira, Rikako,] Patchouli, Remilia (fighters), Letty, Reisen, Iku, Byakuren (partly), Ichirin (UFO), Benben, Shinmyoumaru, Akyuu, Raysen, Yorihime
Blue: [Sariel, Mai,] Cirno, Remilia (main), Merlin, Keine (human), Nitori, Kanako, Tenshi, Kogasa, Ichirin (HM), Seiga, Wakasagihime
Teal/Turquoise: Wriggle, Eiki, Hina, Kyouko
Green: [Mima, Ruukoto,] Yuuka, Daiyousei, ex-Keine, Sanae, Kisume, Tojiko
White/Silver: [Shinki,] Sakuya, Youmu, Eirin, Mokou, Momiji, Futo, Rinnosuke, Tokiko
Grey: Nazrin, Yoshika
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 04:19:30 PM by Limian »
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Ibaraki

• 茨華仙
  • Keeping things disciplined
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 03:42:58 PM »
Good job on the black-haired, though I'm not seeing Kaguya's "mischievous" nature, unless you're referring to this.

Yes, that's one of several instances.
Just like how a sheltered princess is supposed to be, Kaguya is oblivious to the outside world and its cultures. Whenever she found a new thing, she would probably try it from the get-go; whether it would bother others or not doesn't seem to be her concern. By taking that into account with Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth supporting and emphasizing it, I believe we can safely assume that Kaguya is rather mischievous, in a way that she loves to cause troubles due to both her playful demeanor and curiosity.

So, if we exclude the raven-haired, this leaves us with Reimu, Chen, Utsuho, Rika (lol) and maaaaybe Byakuren (if you exclude her funky rainbow stylings) as Gensokyo's actual brunettes. I'm probably forgetting a few, but what do these girls have in common?

itisamystery.png

Do Watatsuki Sisters count? My train of thought regarding common ground for brunettes stopped when they passed my mind.

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
Thanks for the comments... yeah, even I realized that my descriptions are far-fetched, besides, we don't really know their full personalities except for some dialogs, and other sources. It's why I somewhat placed a disclaimer of "what I think", "most of them" and "may be", and not "all of them are"

Tengukami

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »
Rika probobly has more character than 90% of PC-98 characters, and some Windows, simply by virtue of being in two stages :V
90%? Are you standing by that? I could not disagree more, and don't see how simply appearing twice somehow makes her have more "character". I find her lol because she's a classic tryhard, that's all.