Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 430909 times)

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #600 on: July 22, 2013, 03:56:24 PM »
Well, I think this is more a question of personal taste, but speaking solely for myself, I think we already have a pretty fleshed-out story going on, with major players who are already plenty interesting. But making existing characters more interesting isn't mutually exclusive with adding new ones, so yeah, I'd like to see both.

But either way, I'm not holding my breath. ZUN has gone on record as saying he likes leaving some things open-ended and unexplained. I think this lends itself to tending less to develop existing cast members and more adding cast.
Sure, its personal taste. Do you mean we already have a pretty fleshed out story in 14 or in the touhou series in general?
It does seem like ZUN's style to leave things open-ended, and it's unfortunate that I don't completely agree with that style.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #601 on: July 22, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »
It does seem like ZUN's style to leave things open-ended, and it's unfortunate that I don't completely agree with that style.

Haha, well, 'fraid there's little you can do about that, short of writing him a strongly-worded letter telling him to step his game up after all the money you've spent on his work!

e: Just poking fun here, by the by. It's fine to criticize an artist for their approach to their work. I do think, though, that there's little chance he'll be changing his MO anytime soon.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:10:19 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #602 on: July 22, 2013, 04:56:15 PM »
Haha, well, 'fraid there's little you can do about that, short of writing him a strongly-worded letter telling him to step his game up after all the money you've spent on his work!

e: Just poking fun here, by the by. It's fine to criticize an artist for their approach to their work. I do think, though, that there's little chance he'll be changing his MO anytime soon.

*shrug* It all depends on how he things the series is doing and if he thinks its fine then that's that.

Tengukami

« Reply #603 on: July 22, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »
Thinking it over from a writing perspective, I think it's not controversial to say that there are some stories which could be fleshed out better. Nothing wrong with open ends, of course, as it's something I especially like about Gensokyo. Not just for what fans do with the unanswered questions, but also in how they add a strong emotive element of mystery to the place. But there are some stories that, I guess, feel like strong beginnings that could lead to even better stories with exploration. While some stories end in one clean arc (IN), there are others that make me want to see the story explored further (PCB, in particular regarding Yuyuko). But even these two casts were explored further, in manga format. This is partly why I've been pleased with the religious arc, even if the games themselves have been a little uneven. ZUN does like to take his time with a narrative. Further exploration of the existing cast is something he actively does. I expect he'll continue to do this, even as new characters get folded in, and form relationships with these characters more further developed.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Tengukami

« Reply #605 on: July 23, 2013, 12:31:43 AM »

Yep, final boss is a dwarf. A dwarf wearing a hat. And jumping.

SatorKoi57

• Dark Blare of Fire!
  • "YOU WA BAN" Sucks :P
« Reply #606 on: July 23, 2013, 12:32:39 AM »
I hope it's not like that stupid garden gnome from that one touhou fangame whose name I don't know.
Watch as I sneak up behind this forum!

Tengukami

« Reply #607 on: July 23, 2013, 12:57:46 AM »
I hope it's not like that stupid garden gnome from that one touhou fangame whose name I don't know.
Rest assured ZUN will probably not be lifting from the fan dynasty.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #608 on: July 23, 2013, 01:31:37 AM »
Holy shit I remember that from I dunno however long ago jesus christ

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #609 on: July 23, 2013, 01:35:59 AM »
She is small.... incredibly so... and is she wearing what it looks like Byakuren's Hat? (Ajirogasa, I think)

I can see her feet, and It does not looks to me like she is jumping... maybe she is indeed small?

Theory time! What kind of youkai are associated with curses?
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

« Reply #610 on: July 23, 2013, 01:42:08 AM »

Yep, final boss is a dwarf. A dwarf wearing a hat. And jumping.
I thought it was the reaper at first, but then I noticed the feet just a bit below the middle. She does appear to be walking rather than jumping, though. Either she's stretching her arms out or holding an object over her should (right between the "Project" and the top edge). Considering her small stature, she might be the extra boss.
Hmm, either she's stretching her arms out or holding an object over her should (right between the "Project" and the top edge). And looking at the bulge at the top, it seems like she's wearing a bowl or lampshade rather than a hood. Not sure if the emblem at the lower right is part of her or not. What mythological creatures would go with that?
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #611 on: July 23, 2013, 01:43:56 AM »
Holy shit I remember that from I dunno however long ago jesus christ

Care to enlighten me?

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #612 on: July 23, 2013, 01:44:24 AM »
Yes, it definitely looks more like a bowl. A tsukumogami, perhaps?
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #613 on: July 23, 2013, 01:49:51 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issun-b%C5%8Dshi

Issun-boshi, whose story every Japanese has read as a child, used a bowl for a boat, chopsticks for oars, and a needle for a sword.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #614 on: July 23, 2013, 01:50:47 AM »
Care to enlighten me?

Touhou Jaeisho ~ The Last Comer.

And... if ZUN follows his western youkai that so far has be in this game... that Gnome/Dwarf theory seems more plausible
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

Kingault

« Reply #615 on: July 23, 2013, 01:54:34 AM »

And... if ZUN follows his western youkai that so far has be in this game... that Gnome/Dwarf theory seems more plausible

Saw a bit of it, but I didn't see the gnome bit.
I don't think I want to, to be honest.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #616 on: July 23, 2013, 01:58:19 AM »
If it's a Gnome/Dwarf then I know the first meme that will come out...
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

« Reply #617 on: July 23, 2013, 01:59:10 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issun-b%C5%8Dshi

Issun-boshi, whose story every Japanese has read as a child, used a bowl for a boat, chopsticks for oars, and a needle for a sword.

Holy hell! I thought the same exact thing, seriously hoping it is Issun. Either way this cover looks really nice.

EDIT: this would actually make sense since all the bosses so far have western equivalents, so it would make sense for Issun's to be a gnome/dwarf
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:03:01 AM by dfe »

« Reply #618 on: July 23, 2013, 02:01:02 AM »
The Ex boss is the "Gnome" people are talking about, Kingaut. 

And it's just me or a child looking final boss will be a bit underwhelming?  Then again Zun has his way with designs so hopefully she'll be as cool as the others. 

SatorKoi57

• Dark Blare of Fire!
« Reply #619 on: July 23, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »
Uh......no............
If it was that......thing, it would've gotten confirmed already. :V

And give me a good source, not a vandalized wiki article or bogus news report. No "I've heard it from somewhere" either.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #620 on: July 23, 2013, 02:13:01 AM »
The silhouette, brought to you by the same people who did the HM silhouette.

Unrelated: a Japanese creator's artwork (twitter)
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

SatorKoi57

• Dark Blare of Fire!
« Reply #621 on: July 23, 2013, 02:14:53 AM »
Yoshi lol.

On a side note, the dwarf looks like it's going to be an underwhelming boss. Plus the concept itself is, BLECK.
I want a duck youkai.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:22:06 AM by SatorKoi57 »

Formless God

Kingault

« Reply #623 on: July 23, 2013, 02:30:55 AM »
Yoshi lol.

On a side note, the dwarf looks like it's going to be an underwhelming boss. Plus the concept itself is, BLECK.
I want a duck youkai.

Funny you say that... In Animal Crossing New Leaf, in the campsite, there was a yellow duck today named Joey... whose catchphrase was something like "Bleeeeeck", give or take several e's.

Anyway, back on topic, I'll bet on either something related to dwarves/gnomes, that fairy tale about Issun, or both.

Drake

« Reply #624 on: July 23, 2013, 02:41:29 AM »
Nope. Periphery of Power. You couldn't really call it a game, though, and it was only a funny thing that happened around here years ago. I'd be surprised if SatorKoi was actually referring to this.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #625 on: July 23, 2013, 03:49:12 AM »
Gnome? You mean hobgoblin? Seriously now, they already exist in Gensokyo, you might as well make one a proper character.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #626 on: July 23, 2013, 03:52:59 AM »

A new miko? with Ao Oni's head proportions

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #627 on: July 23, 2013, 04:07:21 AM »
i think

a loli dragon girl maybe?

« Reply #628 on: July 23, 2013, 05:51:40 AM »
I like to see both new characters and old characters as long as they have a background, instead of just putting them in there for randomness.
50% of me is actually hoping at least one of the next bosses or even midbosses are of old, unexplained foes.
Long story short, I hope Rumia, Letty, all those other minor characters become at least a midboss.
They all appeared and left without any hint of their background. They act like a powerful version of the stage enemies. Nothing else.
It saddens me that they weren't anything to the story.
Currently a normal player

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #629 on: July 23, 2013, 07:01:31 AM »
I want a duck youkai.
Would you really want that? The quack that moves millions is a scary thing to see.

The cover art looks... interesting. Certainly does look like a jumping elf/gnome with a bowl on it's head. I guess the long thing on the side is her hair?

It's the garden gnome incident! Will be interesting to see how ZUN makes a gnome (?) as a final/extra boss to be intimidating.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:03:29 AM by Darkness1 »