Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 430687 times)

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »
I have some speculation I would like to share with everyone.

The stage 4 boss gimmick: shot type based?
-if you are using a "corrupted" shot type you will fight one of the heroines in her "sane" version, trying to make you reason;
-if you are using a "sane" shot type you will stumble upon one of the heroines using her "corrupted" weapon and you will fight to stop her.

I had this on my mind and wanted to share it, what do you people expect from the stage 4 boss? Gimmick? Or just a normal fight?
I prefer that the boss be a new character...  We've fought Reimu, Marisa, and Sakuya as stage bosses before, so there won't be fun in fighting them again.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:59:44 PM by game2011 »

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
I'd be ok with ★Drizzly Magician★'s speculation; however, I kinda don't think it will happen.

Captain Vulcan

• I'm tellin'!
« Reply #272 on: May 31, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »
With my interests in Sekibanki, I kinda want to see an Ichabod Crane-type girl to appear.

But for some strange reason, Yumemi fits the role of Ichabod the most IMO. Dunno why...
My mind is not a nice place to be.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #273 on: May 31, 2013, 12:45:04 PM »
Imosa, Why did your avatar looked as if she was puking happily at first glance?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #274 on: May 31, 2013, 12:54:31 PM »
Stage 4 boss will be a Frankengirl, Stage 5 will be a mad scientist's assistant, Stage 6 will be the mad scientist.

Extra will be Cirno.

You heard it here first, caw caw!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #275 on: May 31, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »
So I was reading through SoPM and stumbled across this line in Byakuren's profile (like PMiSS style)

Quote from: SoPM
The scroll she carries (called the Sorcerer's Sutra Scroll) contains the sutras she needs to use her abilities. By saying "contains", it does not mean the sutras are written on paper, but the scroll itself is made purely of these incantations(*4).

Because of that, it is lighter than a paper scroll and the amount of content it can contain is almost infinite. Moreover, it is reputed that it does not deteriorate with time. It even comes equipped with an auto-chanting mode; simply wave it over your head and it will recite spells on its own, apparently.

It is said that she made it to while away the free time she had while sealed in Makai. Many of the materials found in Makai contain their own will. Sorcerer's Sutra Scroll also has its own will, meaning other people are unable to handle it. In Gensokyo, such items are called "cursed". Therefore, the Sorcerer's Sutra Scroll is cursed(*5).

Maybe a bit far fetched, but SoPM came out way before DDC. Are we sensing a possible link here with DDC? Then again, how did Reimu's Gohei, Marisa's Hakkero and Sakuya's knife got corrupted in the first place out of the blue. Or do we have a youkai which has been doing this since Makai is said to be having materials of corruption?

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #276 on: May 31, 2013, 03:01:32 PM »
Maybe a bit far fetched, but SoPM came out way before DDC. Are we sensing a possible link here with DDC? Then again, how did Reimu's Gohei, Marisa's Hakkero and Sakuya's knife got corrupted in the first place out of the blue. Or do we have a youkai which has been doing this since Makai is said to be having materials of corruption?

That's pretty interesting. My guess is that some youkai (the villain of th14) learned to manipulate the materials found in Makai to curse weapons NOT made there (the gohei, the Hakkero and the knives). Also the weapons now cursed have strange effects on the heroines while they use them (which could be a side effect of what this youkai did?).

Or it could be something entirely different to begin with.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »

Well, poltergeists are already a thing in Gensokyo even during PC-98 era so it might be one messing with their weapons. Or whoever is behind the youkai outbreak cannot directly affect humans with the thing she uses so she must use their weapons to slowly make them go insane.

Imosa

« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »
Helepolis: That is really cool. I kinda doubt there's a connection because that seems like too much plot for touhou, but I would be so exited if it were true. Also, the gif is actually about Tokiko writing a youma(?) book. For a truly skilled youkai writers, text just... flows out of them.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #279 on: May 31, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
Well, poltergeists are already a thing in Gensokyo even during PC-98 era so it might be one messing with their weapons.
Clearly, the Prismriver sisters are pissed not to have been included in anything since PoFV and they've hatched a plan to replace the playable characters by taking over their weapons.

Three sisters, three weapons. Undeniable, empirical proof right there! :D

Latest works
The Strongest

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #280 on: May 31, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
Stage 6 will be the mad scientist.
Rikako.
That is all.

Drake

« Reply #281 on: June 01, 2013, 12:00:15 AM »
Danmaku is all about power, ze ☆!
I like her power just fine, it just cancels things forever and gives you a long time to deal free damage and gets you tons of resources. It's gross.

Drizzly: no
Toyo: very probably no

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #282 on: June 01, 2013, 02:12:49 AM »
I prefer that the boss be a new character...  We've fought Reimu, Marisa, and Sakuya as stage bosses before, so there won't be fun in fighting them again.

I've heard speculation that instead of Reimu/Marisa/Sakuya, you'll fight Youmu or Sanae depending on whether you're using your cursed weapon or not. This is based on ZUN's comment of "play it and find out" when asked why Youmu and Sanae weren't playable. Story-wise, it's also based on the fact that your characters get sort of bloodthirsty when using weapons. So when you're not using your weapon you fight Youmu because she's acting up from her swords and when you do use your weapons you fight Sanae because she's trying to stop the protagonists who are acting up.

Drake

« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2013, 03:33:12 AM »
murderous youmu wer

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #284 on: June 01, 2013, 03:45:50 AM »
Stage 4 boss will be a Frankengirl, Stage 5 will be a mad scientist's assistant, Stage 6 will be the mad scientist.

Extra will be Cirno.

You heard it here first, caw caw!

All of this is probably correct, but Stage 5 boss will be a Ninja using huge amounts of backwards logic in regards to the western theme.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
I've heard speculation that instead of Reimu/Marisa/Sakuya, you'll fight Youmu or Sanae depending on whether you're using your cursed weapon or not. This is based on ZUN's comment of "play it and find out" when asked why Youmu and Sanae weren't playable. Story-wise, it's also based on the fact that your characters get sort of bloodthirsty when using weapons.
Huh. That is interesting. I'm a bit Sanae'd out, to be honest, but Youmu returning as a stage boss would be neat. If for no other reason than to hear some Mystic Oriental Dream.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Piranha

• Hungry Ghost
« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
If for no other reason than to hear some Mystic Oriental Dream.

No other reason necessary.
Normal 1cc: EoSD (All), PCB (All), IN (All teams), PoFV (Reimu), MoF (All), SA (ReimuA/ReimuB)
Extra stages cleared: EoSD (ReimuB), PCB (ReimuB)
StB: Level 6-X left
My Replays

« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »
Huh. That is interesting. I'm a bit Sanae'd out, to be honest, but Youmu returning as a stage boss would be neat. If for no other reason than to hear some Mystic Oriental Dream.
She'd probably get a completely new theme song. That's the normal trend for recurring Windows bosses. Aya, Yuyuko, Marisa... I don't think there have been any exceptions. IN had remixes, but those were the first time those songs appeared in the Windows games.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
If one were to go by returning characters being bosses for stage 4, perhaps Alice should be put in consideration as well for this theory? Basically, Sanae vs Reimu, Alice vs. Marisa, and Youmu vs. Sakuya.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2013, 11:51:03 AM »
She'd probably get a completely new theme song. That's the normal trend for recurring Windows bosses. Aya, Yuyuko, Marisa... I don't think there have been any exceptions. IN had remixes, but those were the first time those songs appeared in the Windows games.
THEN AGAIN... Just think about the first three bosses of DDC, especially Kagerou. Her theme obviously is including parts similiar to UN Owen was her and we also know that ZUN just >loves< to give people nostalgia. So it's likely he would remix something from another Windows game. And then there is Ayas theme that gets used several times in the Windows games (Shoot the Bullet, Double Spoiler) and the themes of PoFV were almost all remixes (partially from IN / PCB).

That's pretty interesting. My guess is that some youkai (the villain of th14) learned to manipulate the materials found in Makai to curse weapons NOT made there (the gohei, the Hakkero and the knives). Also the weapons now cursed have strange effects on the heroines while they use them (which could be a side effect of what this youkai did?).

Or it could be something entirely different to begin with.
Two words: Shinki confirmed!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:52:35 AM by Mayson »

« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2013, 11:53:09 AM »
If one were to go by returning characters being bosses for stage 4, perhaps Alice should be put in consideration as well for this theory? Basically, Sanae vs Reimu, Alice vs. Marisa, and Youmu vs. Sakuya.
Alice was never a "protagonist". She's been Marisa's sidekick, at best. The protagonist role in the shooters has traditionally been reserved for humans anyway. I'd say Futo is more likely than Alice, and Futo's not very likely.

THEN AGAIN... Just think about the first three bosses of DDC, especially Kagerou. Her theme obviously is including parts similiar to UN Owen was her and we also know that ZUN just >loves< to give people nostalgia. So it's likely he would remix something from another Windows game. And then there is Ayas theme that gets used several times in the Windows games (Shoot the Bullet, Double Spoiler) and the themes of PoFV were almost all remixes (partially from IN / PCB).
Magus Night was supposed to be a remix and then he got carried away and made a whole new song. I'm expecting something like that, if this happens. Familiar musical phrases? Sure. But only that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:55:02 AM by Clarste »

Mayson

« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »
Alice was never a "protagonist". She's been Marisa's sidekick, at best. The protagonist role in the shooters has traditionally been reserved for humans anyway. I'd say Futo is more likely than Alice, and Futo's not very likely.
Sanae is not a human, though. She is a goddess. :getdown:

« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »
Sanae is not a human, though. She is a goddess. :getdown:
She's an arahitogami. She's fully human and fully god. Like the Emperor of Japan. Not sure why this concept is so hard for some people.

Mayson

« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
Magus Night was supposed to be a remix and then he got carried away and made a whole new song. I'm expecting something like that, if this happens. Familiar musical phrases? Sure. But only that.
Actually, he did full remixes in PoFV as I said. Some are close to not being altered at all, Mystias theme and Youmus theme are good examples for that. Not disregarding what you said and he doesn't do it often, but it does (and did) happen.

She's an arahitogami. She's fully human and fully god. Like the Emperor of Japan. Not sure why this concept is so hard for some people.
Hey, don't get so worked up over it. It was supposed to be funny.

« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2013, 12:14:24 PM »
Hey, don't get so worked up over it. It was supposed to be funny.
I suppose it's one of those jokes that's funny if you're not the guy who's been explaining this over and over again to people for years.

Captain Vulcan

• I'm tellin'!
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »
She's an arahitogami. She's fully human and fully god.

A fact that Sanae is extremely proud of.
My mind is not a nice place to be.

« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »
Actually, he did full remixes in PoFV as I said. Some are close to not being altered at all, Mystias theme and Youmus theme are good examples for that. Not disregarding what you said and he doesn't do it often, but it does (and did) happen.
I want to say those don't count as "bosses" since they're also playable, but the basic gist of my point is simply going to be that "PoFV doesn't count neener neener" which is hardly a good argument. It still seems way more analogous to Aya in MOF, Yuyuko in TD, and Marisa in FW though. Ensemble games just don't give him the luxury to compose new songs for every single character.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
Just a quick question, what is the name of MarisaB's Bomb?

« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
Just a quick question, what is the name of MarisaB's Bomb?
"Magic Absorber"

Imosa

« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
I'm pretty disappointed in the themes of the shot types. Their weapons are corrupt but then they uses them in both shot types? What's the point of inconveniencing the characters if you just give them an easy out. Also I heard there were supposed to be 3 shot types per person, was that wrong?