Author Topic: New Touhou Wiki!  (Read 109666 times)

Re: New Touhou Wiki!
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »
We need a new front page. It's probably what is holding us back in the google rankings, as google penalizes pages that are too similar to existing ones.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2011, 02:22:23 PM »
We need a new front page.
Indeed, unfortunately I'm terrible with good web design.  =/

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »
We need a new front page. It's probably what is holding us back in the google rankings, as google penalizes pages that are too similar to existing ones.

We don't need to any more. The old site's already redesigned their front page.

« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2011, 03:01:02 PM »
We don't need to any more. The old site's already redesigned their front page.

The old front page wasn't deleted though, and is linked to in the new one.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2011, 08:44:39 PM »
No, there isn't any front page set up at all yet.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
What happened to the several front page designs that were being discussed on the talk page? They just got archived and no one ever mentioned them again...

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »
That was for the English wiki mainpage design, which involved a lot of drama and were indefinitely shelved.  I think KyoriAsh used the blue-round-cornered theme for the Chinese wiki though.

The frontpage is akin to what Wikipedia has when you go to http://www.wikipedia.org/, functionally so you can select which language you want.  It's especially important now that we have 7-8 different wiki languages.

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »
I wouldn't really say indefinitely shelved.

Yes, there were criticisms of the page itself, and also of the implementation. Several comments were directed at the fact that you didn't solicit enough feedback. Some of us probably don't like very drastic changes though.

But I definitely think some categories can be moved around and it could use some cleanup.

« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »
Whoops, I was right the first time. "Don't link to external wikis" is their stated reason for putting touhouwiki.net on the spamfilter-list.

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
Spoiler:
Wait for a few hours/days, then use touhou<!-- -->wiki.net to link to the new wiki.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »
Was there any reason to bump this?

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2011, 03:39:18 AM »
Whoops, I was right the first time. "Don't link to external wikis" is their stated reason for putting touhouwiki.net on the spamfilter-list.
Actually, I'll respond to this.  That's gotta be the shittiest thing I've seen, and pretty much shows they want to be a "category killer" wiki farm and suffocate any sort've "competition" out of existence.  Good luck with [citation needed] lol.

« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »
I'd like to suggest blocking the Wikia wikis from your search results. That way, you will not see interference from the wikia pages. Also, Google may notice that a lot of people no longer want to see their results, and lower their pagerank as a result. See http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1210386 for more information about this approach.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2012, 12:11:36 AM »
I was wondering what sort of donations are typical for the wiki. I want to be sure like if $100 is significant enough. And if it's too much that'd be nice to know too.

Like, how much would a year of the wiki's bandwidth or rights to be up or whatever be (I'm not the most tech savvy person regarding internet privileges)

That's how much I'd like to provide.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:38:20 AM by iK »
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

[⑨] Suzuran

• Neko Neko Wai~
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2012, 10:53:42 PM »
The wiki has a status page that says exactly how much it costs to run and how much is donated.

See http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/User:Suzuran/Server_Statistics

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »
Any donations are very very awesome, and they go straight into the hosting bill.

[Edit]  See above.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:57:14 PM by Momiji »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:01 AM »
Speaking of Wikia, there are several Touhou wikis in other languages there. Does anyone have an idea who's running those? Are they all unsalvagable?

By the way, even after blocking it, touhou.wikia still appears in my search results.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:45:53 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2012, 01:40:28 AM »
We transferred all of them at the same time.  Have you seen this yet:  http://www.touhouwiki.net/

We've been trying to get the others active, but it's hard to know where exactly non-English Touhou communities congregate.

Drake

« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2012, 03:26:39 AM »
By the way, even after blocking it, touhou.wikia still appears in my search results.
Here too. I blocked it more than a month ago and it still shows up. Moreover, there's no block option when you return the the search results.
I could just set my browser to redirect to en.touhouwiki every time and that would be hilarious, but just seeing it on Google bugs the crap out of me.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

[⑨] Suzuran

• Neko Neko Wai~
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
Get used to it. Wikia frequently games google search results by causing other Wikia domains to link to "problematic" Wikia sites. They pay Google lots of money to ensure they keep this prime position, because every visitor they get is money in their pocket.

TL:DR; We will NEVER be above Wikia in pagerank because we can't cheat like they do.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »
Basically, they have full time SEO staff and we do not.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »
SEO doesn't even make a difference at this point.  The main problem is Google's carved-in-granite PageRank.  It often times prioritizes incumbent sites over newer ones, even if the newer ones are getting vastly more visitors.  There are very specific loopholes in PageRank that can be very easily and reliably used to hide smaller, newer sites, by the way PR looks at a site with other cross-referencing sites.  It's more Google's inflexibility in site structure (see also: Google's Webmaster Tools, Analytics) that causes this sort of overwhelming and lasting dominance of bigger, longer-lasting but irrelevant sites over the sites that should be replacing them.

On the other hand, we ARE winning in newer search terms.  When Ten Desires came out, we were up all night through the release doing article creation as the info came out.  We absolutely dominated Wikia in that case.

Drake

« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2012, 12:07:46 AM »
I did know all that. I'm frustrated that it's still appearing in my results lol

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2012, 01:29:17 AM »
The wiki has a status page that says exactly how much it costs to run and how much is donated.

See http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/User:Suzuran/Server_Statistics

Oh, thank you very much for the information, Suzuran! Got a donation squared away then.

Anyone have info on how Yahoo generates its top search results? The Wikia networks seem to get just as much attention there.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2012, 04:15:21 AM »
Anyone have info on how Yahoo generates its top search results? The Wikia networks seem to get just as much attention there.
They probably also consider 'cross-site linking', which would include all the other wikis on Wikia.  It's not something we can fix, we've already done all the SEO we could do.  Only way it'll be fixed is for Wikia to completely fold up shop.

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2012, 03:07:20 AM »
Not sure if it's just me, but Duck Duck Go is listing the new wiki over the old one.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »
I have a question. Some time ago, the wiki seems to have had a mobile phone-oriented mechanism in place, that automatically divide each page into segments. But the system doesn't work on my current browser, which is UCWeb, a non-standard browser based on Opera. All pages become broken, and only the first few lines are visible. Is there some parameter for browsing the wiki in standard PC mode?
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »
At last, I was able to convince Wikia to allow links to touhouwiki.net. However, spamming with it isn't a good idea because Wikia has told me that they may take it away if it happens. And the old wiki on Wikia is most likely going to stay as a profit-generating backup for them.

I understand how useful the sources of criticism such as this forum thread, the Anti Wikia Alliance, and the Complaints Wiki are. They are beneficial in informing us of negative actions from Wikia, and in pressuring them to cooperate with the editors better. They are also harmful if they are one-sided, as a lot of the commentary is, such as the commentary about how they delete advertisements of competition. The people who support this criticism, shoutwiki, have their own financial motivations. I'll gladly explain specific examples. I am currently neutral to both sides.

Edited to clarify comments and remove off-topic item.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:13:23 AM by sbluen »

[⑨] Suzuran

• Neko Neko Wai~
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2013, 03:19:44 AM »
The touhou wikia continues to exist because it makes money for wikia and Jimbo Wales. There are no other reasons.

They will not remove it, and they will not permit you to tell wikia users anything other than the wikia is the primary wiki. They will copy our content and snipe us on google until we give up or die or otherwise cease to be a threat to their ad revenue.

You accomplished nothing other than getting us (probably temporarily) removed from their spam filter. As soon as anyone posts anything on wikia that references touhouwiki.net as anything other than a source to be copied from, we will be re-added to their spam filter.

« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »
I think it's good news that in a search for either "touhouwiki" or "touhou wiki", the home page of the more active wiki now shows up. However, for the moment, it's too bad that we still have to append -wikia to all of our searches when not using personalized search results.