Author Topic: Canon portrayals that you wish got used more in fandom  (Read 73821 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Canon portrayals that you wish got used more in fandom
« Reply #300 on: July 14, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »
I'd really like to see an instance where "dirt-poor Reimu" doesn't appear. Yes, Reimu doesn't get many donations, but she's not so poor that she has to dig in trash cans for simple sustenance. A good example of fans going way too far with character interpretations.

Can you please, please, please stick to the topic of this thread? It is not "fan portrayals I don't like"; it's "canon portrayals I want to see more of". You've already been asked once before, and I don't think it's too much to ask that you respect the subject the OP has created.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #301 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
Can you please, please, please stick to the topic of this thread? It is not "fan portrayals I don't like"; it's "canon portrayals I want to see more of". You've already been asked once before, and I don't think it's too much to ask that you respect the subject the OP has created.

And I still think that limits the discussion to an extent. There's no harm in discussing it the other way around; it still at least pertains to the topic.

Tengukami

« Reply #302 on: July 14, 2011, 10:13:33 PM »
And I still think that limits the discussion to an extent. There's no harm in discussing it the other way around; it still at least pertains to the topic.

But it's not the topic, Savory. If you want to bitch about fan portrayals, make your own damn thread. This thread is for discussing canon portrayals. It's not rocket science.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #303 on: July 14, 2011, 10:25:22 PM »
But it's not the topic, Savory. If you want to bitch about fan portrayals, make your own damn thread. This thread is for discussing canon portrayals. It's not rocket science.

Fine, fine, fine. Let's not argue.

Okay,  Reimu's monetary conditions should fit a bit more to canon. Sure, she's poor, but not to the point of blatant poverty; it's more like 'I don't have enough money for luxuries" poor. How's that?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:28:39 PM by Savory »

Tengukami

« Reply #304 on: July 14, 2011, 10:29:54 PM »
Yes, that is related to the topic. Thank you.

Phosaphile

• Eternal Optimist
  • Everything will work out in the end!
« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2011, 03:47:05 AM »
Well call it silly, but I wish Sanae would be shown more with that really big hair she was sporting in Mountain of Faith. And that's how I always draw her- with huge hair rivaling Kanako's. I know it, uh, 'deflates' over the course of the games, but my heart longs for puffy-haired Sanae!

And while I agree showing Kaguya as a NEET is cute and can be comical, I agree that the fanon shown Kaguya is vastly different from the canon Kaguya. Loving guests, telling stories, showing off artifacts- not just sitting in the dark for hours playing something. But I DO think she could get her hands on a gaming device- like through Kourindo? and she'd play it every so often- but not obsessive NEET status. But I suppose that's a story for a rainy-day headcanon. More friendly Kaguya is the point!

I think Flandre is shown a little TOO off the wall insane in the fandom. I mean, I don't doubt she's mentally unstable. It's written in canon of course. But she's not out of her bloody mind trying to slaughter everything that breaths as she laughs maniacally. But I guess very unstable!Flandre is less popular and less liked than 24/7 crazy serial killer status!Flandre. Don't get me wrong, there's very good insane Flandre art and stories out there. But I see her with up and down periods of stability that can be triggered by loneliness and too much excitement. She could ascend to such a violent dangerous state- but hey, this is just me and my observations.

Hope I didn't break any rules with that c:

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #306 on: July 15, 2011, 09:15:05 AM »
I personally would like to see fanworks delve more into the implied abilities of characters. According to PMiSS Remilia could summon demons with just mere whispers, Tenshi's skin is nigh-inpenetrable and poisonous to youkai, Wriggle can control the highly venomous harvest-mites, Iku can 'read' the atmosphere, Shikieiki has her Mirror of Truth and Nitori's water manipulation isn't shown off that much either. Komachi's manipulation of distance is barely depicted too.
Mythology-wise, Ran should be able to possess people and shapeshift, as well as use fox fire and spit lightning.

This also makes me wonder why Shikieiki is sometimes depicted in fanworks using lightning strike attacks...

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
« Reply #307 on: July 16, 2011, 09:32:43 AM »
I actually always imagined Mokou as avoiding smoking, since it'd eventually kill her horribly.

Also, needs more "weird eccentric hobo Koishi".
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #308 on: July 16, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »
I personally would like to see fanworks delve more into the implied abilities of characters. According to PMiSS Remilia could summon demons with just mere whispers, Tenshi's skin is nigh-inpenetrable and poisonous to youkai, Wriggle can control the highly venomous harvest-mites, Iku can 'read' the atmosphere, Shikieiki has her Mirror of Truth and Nitori's water manipulation isn't shown off that much either. Komachi's manipulation of distance is barely depicted too.
Mythology-wise, Ran should be able to possess people and shapeshift, as well as use fox fire and spit lightning.

This also makes me wonder why Shikieiki is sometimes depicted in fanworks using lightning strike attacks...

Shapeshifting Ran and Iku reading the atmosphere has happened.

As for Shikieiki having lightning attacks, I guess it comes with the 'gods smite people' thing.  :V
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »
I actually always imagined Mokou as avoiding smoking, since it'd eventually kill her horribly.

Think about this for a second. ^^
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »
He may've done so more than you may think actually. Immortality isn't necessarily good health. The implication is that while Mouku may recover flawlessly from instantaneous death, she must be subject to gradual changes, (otherwise how would she be able to grow properly 'n stuff?) Granted, if she ever dies, she'll simply just recover but perhaps only to the point where she's in a state of health like the one she was in before. This would leave her in a wretched state, at best being an old coughing hag and at worst, in a cycle of near simultaneous death and resurrection. Granted, the Hori Elixer would seem rather worthless with this interpretation and it doesn't entirely explain why Kaguya and Mouku both appear to be so youthful but it's an interesting thought nevertheless. At any rate moving onto the main topic of my post...

While I understand the whole calm, wise levelheaded History Teacher Keine meme has its basis in both her powers and a few teasing comments by Team Scarlet, it really has no basis in the actions of the well meaning but spastically presumptuous, rashly overreactive character and we actually see for ourselves in Imperishable Night.

Judging from what I've witnessed, I'd say she's vaguely aware of the generalities of what's going on but acts upon gut instinct without knowing any of the pertinent details. As a primary example, She's willing to take everyone and everything head on quite brazenly and without second thought if she thinks it might be a problem. In all of the I.N. story modes, she's the first to jump out and attack any random passer by with accusations of wrongdoing before they even get a chance to speak or go about their personal business. This includes even Reimu and Marisa quite ironically enough, two characters notoriously infamous for this sort of behavior.

She's an absolutely terrible judge of character as well, as it turns out that the people there, whichever team you may pick, are actually turn out to be there to help out rather than cause any harm of any sort. Further exemplifying her bad sense of judgement, she also rushes headstrong into these needless battles and they turn out to be more far more than she can manage to chew. She even goes so far as to assume Marisa's not trustworthy (okay, that might be a good call) because she's a Youkai (or maybe not…)

Granted she has good intentions in that she simply wants to come to the aid of defend what and whom she cares about, much like a superheroine. However her plans aren't always the most well thought through if you really take the time to think about them. Writing an entire village out of history to defend it from the night's terrors makes little sense considering you'll eventually have to write it back in for continuity purposes or face destroying the village forever. While it's possible that this could be simply credited as stalling for time, it doesn't explain why she's so protective of Mouku in the EX stage, as Mouku scarcely needs protecting with her powers of infinite resurrection.

Also before anybody simply goes ahead and writes me off, I'm not saying I want to see more "CAVE!" as this one dimensional interpretation goes a bit too far into the other direction in taking her readiness to attack to the exclusion of all other personality traits. The way I see it she's either really more like Gensokyo's equivalent of either Super Grover or Knuckles the Echidna than anything else and either of those could both be very entertaining roles to fill pendent on the nature of the work.

This goes especially so since canonically speaking, there's no shortage of intellectuals that could serve History Teacher Keine's roles while staying more in character so to speak. Take for example Alice Margatroid, Patchouli Knowledge or especially Hidea no Akyu, the child who spends her days peaceably sipping tea with guests and recording Gensokyo's actual history for the purposes of perservation. (Rather than distorting it to suit her whimsy like Keine, for whom teaching history would be both pointless and counterproductive to any good that could come of changing it how she does.) A rivalry between Keine and Akyu might be interesting too, come to think of it though, due to this conflict in the nature of Akyu's and Keine's wills and powers.

I'd go on analyzing others but most of them have already been delved into to some degree and I don't think I have quite the level of canonical knowledge of the games' actual events to do too much better than what was gone over once before. However if visual portrayals count nobody seems to draw Chen with the the sharp red fingernails like she has in Perfect Cherry Blossom. She's usually declawed by the artists to make her seem more innocent, harmless and cute.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:27:16 AM by Tonepoet »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2011, 01:28:18 AM »
Actually, there's some info about the hourai elixir that should be placed here.

One sip(or pill in some cases) makes you unable to age further than you already have.
Two sips(or pills), means you will never again be troubled by illness or disease.
Three, and you attain true immortality, the kind Mokou and Kaguya have. The kind where you will never be troubled by death ever again.

Unless of course, an outside force, such as a sword, causes it, but even that will not be permanent.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Tengukami

« Reply #312 on: July 17, 2011, 03:55:16 AM »
Wall of text: destroyed.

On topic: Kanako the party goddess. I want to hear more about these feasts on Youkai Mountain!

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2011, 07:27:58 AM »
Think about this for a second. ^^

Uhm, even with the hourai elixir, she's going to get a lung full of black tar. Not a pleasant way to die, immortal or not.
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »
Uhm, even with the hourai elixir, she's going to get a lung full of black tar. Not a pleasant way to die, immortal or not.

She could rip out her tar filled lungs and grow new ones. :derp:

I personally think that whenever Mokou is blown into itty bitty pieces her body restores without any impurities in it. Those impurities were left behind when she was blown to smithereens.

Quote from: Tonepoet [/quote

Big ol' wall o' text.

Hourai Elixir basically makes the drinker undergo temporal stasis. You never change.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:26:37 PM by OkashiiKisei »

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #315 on: July 17, 2011, 09:20:40 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen Nitori's ability to control the water at all in fandom. It's always her ability to invent shit that seems to gain alot of credit. I will say that out of all the powers the Touhous have, Nitori's is by far the less used by the fandom.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #316 on: July 17, 2011, 12:16:06 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen Nitori's ability to control the water at all in fandom. It's always her ability to invent shit that seems to gain alot of credit.

NOTHING BEATS THE POWER OF SCIENCE!

By the way, it's known that Patchouli is sickly, but does it really impede her that much? In canon, she rarely lets out even a cough (at least as far as I know); she only mentions her ailment. However in fanon, she's anemic to the point of death, has nonstop cough fits is about as strong as a toothpick. A burnt toothpick.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #317 on: July 17, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
I know it's said that she's ashmatic, and her profiles state that she's 'physically weak' or having a 'weak constitution'. From what I can tell, her asthma makes it difficult for her to recite her spells (I would guess this would mean long winded spell recitations are out for her). There's also her lack of Vitimain A which would mean that her eyesight is shitty (there are other problems associated with this too, but I'll just stick to the obvious).

I can't remember if physical weakness(es) slow her down in any other aspects, but the spell recitation and vitamin A deficiency are things I'm sure of.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #318 on: July 17, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
I know it's said that she's ashmatic...

LOL ashmatic.

...and her profiles state that she's 'physically weak' or having a 'weak constitution'. From what I can tell, her asthma makes it difficult for her to recite her spells (I would guess this would mean long winded spell recitations are out for her). There's also her lack of Vitimain A which would mean that her eyesight is shitty (there are other problems associated with this too, but I'll just stick to the obvious).

I can't remember if physical weakness(es) slow her down in any other aspects, but the spell recitation and vitamin A deficiency are things I'm sure of.

Well, if that's true, I don't think such a person should be participating in battles. And she's been in a few canonically, so perhaps her condition isn't as serious as speculated. I also find it ironic that she reads profusely and her eyesight is supposed to be bad (actually, this comes as a shock to me considering that).

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #319 on: July 17, 2011, 03:32:59 PM »
The way I see it, she's about as weak as the so-called "Nerds" you saw in 80's-90's tv shows.
She's a right brainy one, but her physical abilities are less-than-stellar. Since she's a Youkai, I'd say she's only about as physically powerful as a regular human.
But it's her magical ability that really makes her shine, she's got all the elements at her disposal, as well as the Philosopher's Stone, said to extend one's life, and cure all ills.
So I'd say her only weakness is that on a good day she's about as functional as your average non-combat MMO mage class.
Able to bend the elements to her will, but not so hot in a straight-up fistfight. In Ragnarok Online terms, she's a Wizard Class, able to bring great destruction to her opponents, and near-invincible against other magic-slingers, but unable to take much of a physical hit.

In other words, she's one of the most versatile mages around, she just can't take a hit all that well, like the regular non-magic "nerds", who were well-known for being rather intelligent, but unable to put up much of a fight in physical terms.

And as for the poor eyesight thing and reading profusely, I have just one thing to say.
Magical eyeglasses/what-have-you.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure