Author Topic: Somehthing I find disturbing about the fanart I've been collecting...  (Read 11950 times)

There's lots more so I won't waste your time with more pics.

The thing is Touhou parodies everything and no one parodies it back...

Just saying my thoughts out aloud.
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

saiyoucho

• *Ahem*.. Mukyu!
    • Touhou Sweden
Re: Somehthing I find disturbing about the fanart I've been collecting...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 05:25:35 PM »
It might be because, wouldn't it be hard to parody something that is already making fun of/playing around with pretty much all genres there is?

It's kinda like making comedy out of comedy or something.
Take me to your library, give me your spellbooks.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
I'll say that it's hard for me to find fanart where Touhou is being parodied/referenced (note that I'm really unaware of most of the newer anime/manga/comics/movies/etc.), and it's even harder for me to find games (or gameplay characteristics) that are influenced or are homaging Touhou, but anyways.. Yuki and Mai in Samidare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hps4X9_f4k (RoHL would count too, since it uses a similar playstyle, as a source of inspiration, while not having the Touhou universe in its plot..)

Anyways, what's important, imho, is that the Touhou universe maintains its own identity (this means, not be purely or mainly influenced by external.. memes/characters/parodies/etc. As long as Touhou is properly regarded as being, for example, a series of games/stories that can generate doujin musics, fanarts, fanfics, fangames, etc., rather than being just the series that served as support for Marisa Stole the Precious Thing/Mc Roll/etc.)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
And why would Touhou need to be parodied more?

Anyway, I'm not aware of other series related to so many jokes and parodies.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 07:57:06 PM »
It's because adding Touhou to anything makes it better.
Touhou doesn't get any better so adding anything to it just makes it suck.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »
not very disturbing
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Gpop

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 10:54:15 PM »
Here, quoting this from another thread:

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 12:22:20 AM »
Well maybe not so who cares... Maybe I'd want to lock this thread or something...
Here, quoting this from another thread:

Is that supposed to be a mindfuck?

Something more disturbing...

EDIT: I forgot to give credit to THAT SITE. Bcause the cake was from that site.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 01:39:43 AM by beaver1231 »
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 01:25:59 AM »
I will not die until I see that cake in real life.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 02:41:26 AM »
How do you parody Touhou?

Do you just make spellcards for characters outside the series?

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 02:42:19 AM »
I'm thinking either you or I have missed the point Saiyoucho. Parody of parody is rare no matter what series you're talking about, so I think he means references to Touhou as opposed to Touhou referencing something else.

If that's the case, I'd say that despite the more recent rate of growth increasing in the fanbase as of late, Touhou is still quite obscure. People don't make Touhou references as often because the fans of whatever other series wouldn't get them. In most cases, there are a lot less of us then there are of them. That being said the opening premise of discussion isn't entirely true.

Creepy? What's creepy about it? It is a delicious cake, you must eat it! Otherwise it'll go stale. Nobody wants that...

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 03:39:49 AM »
I'm thinking either you or I have missed the point Saiyoucho. Parody of parody is rare no matter what series you're talking about, so I think he means references to Touhou as opposed to Touhou referencing something else.

This is exactly what I mean.
Something creepier, posted before but still worth mentioning.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:46:25 AM by beaver1231 »

Yadogari

• Hieda no Akyu of Shrinemaiden
  • Resident Jackass
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 04:02:25 AM »

don't forget this.

saiyoucho

• *Ahem*.. Mukyu!
    • Touhou Sweden
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 02:15:58 PM »
lol the first thought that crossed my mind was:
MUST MAKE THAT CAKE! o.o
Take me to your library, give me your spellbooks.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 05:26:53 AM »

As much as I want that cake, the cake is a lie, etc.

The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 08:16:51 AM »
Rejoice
Yeah I heard of that one, saw it today.
I can name a few more, but that's still a huge minority.

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
Depends how wide your scope is for "Touhou" - if you mean strictly just the games, and the core Canon lore around them, then I can't think of any references to them. If you include Marisa Stole the Precious Thing and similar "direct by-product of Touhou" stuff, those get parodied quite a fair bit. I've seen plenty of Marisa Stole the Precious Thing parodies and recently there was a Tales parody of that Innocent Key flash (the one with the bust-up potion or whatever that was).

Actually wait, scratch my first sentence. I heard somewhere that Akamatsu-sensei was paying homage to Patchouli when he designed Ayase Yue (Negima). Heck, there's even that one image where someone took a coloured picture of Yue (around ch 88 when the festival was on and she was in her dress) and added on a somewhat crudely drawn moon sign. We (circle of friends) saw Patchouli pretending to be Yue, not the other way round. I guess that's the thing - homages of Touhou are harder to spot. Arguably several characters from Saki are also inspired by Touhou.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »
Rejoice
Yeah I heard of that one, saw it today.
I can name a few more, but that's still a huge minority.
I don't know if that's a direct Touhou reference or more referencing an internet meme.

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »
That's not disturbing. Just fun! I especially like that L4D one though the thought of Zombies chewing on Touhou girls are stuff of nightmares. Unless you are a cruel psychotic bastard of course.

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 02:39:59 PM »
That's not disturbing. Just fun! I especially like that L4D one though the thought of Zombies chewing on Touhou girls are stuff of nightmares. Unless you are a cruel psychotic bastard of course.
Wait do you know of a user called TouhouFreak?

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 02:54:32 PM »
yes, he is right above you
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 09:20:25 AM »
I thought the user looked familiar...

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 10:28:38 AM »
Was playing Little King's Story (Wii, just released).  Random names for villagers confirmed to include the following: Alice, Lily, Merlin, Lunasa, Lyrica, Letty, Youmu.

Still waiting to find a Yuyuko.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »
Are you serious? That's awesome.

Mima-sama

• What are you doing in that shrine you are not a god
  • You are too cool to be a god anyway :|
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
Was playing Little King's Story (Wii, just released).  Random names for villagers confirmed to include the following: Alice, Lily, Merlin, Lunasa, Lyrica, Letty, Youmu.

Still waiting to find a Yuyuko.

Saw a trailer for it and there was a Mokou in there too. There are too many names shared by touhou characters for this to be an accident.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »
Do remember that Taito is owned by Square-Enix. (don't even think about that)