Author Topic: [Touhou Fangame] Touhou - Miracle of the ancient god - Demo out now!  (Read 12305 times)

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Re: [Touhou Fangame] Touhou - Miracle of the ancient god - Demo out now!
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 10:11:36 PM »
Trying the new one but I'm a little lost on where to go... the game lags a bit for me and running doesn't help. That's mostly a problem with my low end computer though. I'll get back to you on my end.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 10:24:42 PM »
Ok, I could locate the source of the problem... for an unknown reason, it works on my machine... the problem was a file naming...
changing and uploading right now... again : sorry for the inconvenience

(again, 25 minutes left...)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:52:53 PM by Wolyafa »

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 11:41:25 PM »
Sadly the lag is so bad for me I can no longer continue the demo, so I'll just post what I've found so far.

Negative:
When asked if you want to skip the intro and hitting no the intro plays anyway.
On the topic of the intro, it feels a bit too long, the music used either loops two or three times and you can hear the start of the loop. Maybe shortening the intro to the length of the music might be better, to be honest we really don't need to see every character in the intro, some of the scenes felt awkward and out of place or not needed. (and really confused about seeing Reimu in the outside world kinda through me for a loop lol.)

Positive:
Despite yet not playing really the world map felt very accurate to what Gensokyo is described in cannon, Kourindo being the center of course.
When looking into the audio files I see two files by you, one being the world map. It sounds like a world map music and was pretty impressed by how it fit.

I'll try a few things to see if I can get the lag to stop, since it looks like it was made in RPGM with custom script and I know for a fact that I have no problem playing RPGM games.

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 11:50:03 PM »
Yes, that is correct, it uses RPG Maker XP as a basis and runs on the Blizz-ABS script.

About the intro music looping : that may be due to your so described "lag" due to low spec hardware (And the music, being an played mp3 file, not bound to the grafics shown.

The intro is skipable! Yes -> Sends the player to the worldmap after the opening No -> Displays the intro

Also, by your words, you surely hitted the F key... because it's used to cancle actions (F - cancle, H - confirm)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:53:20 PM by Wolyafa »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »
Yes, that is correct, it uses RPG Maker XP as a basis and runs on the Blizz-ABS script.

About the intro music looping : that may be due to your so described "lag" due to low spec hardware (And the music, being an played mp3 file, not bound to the grafics shown.

The intro is skipable! Yes -> Sends the player to the worldmap after the opening No -> Displays the intro

Also, by your words, you surely hitted the F key... because it's used to cancle actions (F - cancle, H - confirm)

Decided to try again and while there are parts where it slightly stops due to lag on my end once Miko shows up in the intro the song stops and starts over, tried the 3 times and every result was the same. Also tried hitting no 3 times and it still played the intro, unless for some reason H is not the confirm button in the choice box.

Edit: I can only type by looking the my keyboard, not trying to sound rude but I'm very sure I hit the H key.

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 12:26:27 AM »
Ok, so.. about the intro : it was made intentionally in the length of the mp3, I just tested the intro again, since the intro has pretty much events for steering and such, and maybe some effects are pulling your performance down...

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 12:50:14 AM »
The only performance issues I have now are the world map and the forest of magic, other then that I have no lag issues, I re tested and got the same result, music starts looping at the last scene with Miko. Sorry I'm not trying to sound like a jerk I'm just letting you know what I'm experiencing in the demo on my end. So far it seems only two people have played so once we get more people to try it out and if they don't have the same issues as I then mine will be void.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 05:40:57 AM »
Alright. After playing through the demo now I have some things to report.
First of all, I didn't experience any performance issues but there were still some bugs present.

Happens when trying to use an item from the quickbar

Happens when trying to reset the game using F12

-Maybe disable Save-function in battle-maps since you can permanently screw up by saving while a projectile is coming your way which would kill you.
(Considering how there's save-points that's probably already planned and only for the demo.)

-The way the buttons are mapped feels slightly strange/cramped but that just might be me.
I don't know if VX allows for the player remapping keys but personally I would have put the non-movement keys onto the Num-pad.
But I did get used to it a little more after playing for some time.

-The game fails to trigger Mystia's second phase/spellcard if you deplete her health instead of having her time out.
It then just stops doing anything, no error or crash.

-Sneaking seems to do nothing. You are supposed to walk slower during that, right? I didn't.

And that's everything I could really find apart from me having some trouble with the fairies at the start since they move really fast when running away and can turn and fire at you really quickly but that got better after a few level ups and practice.

I did find some typos though:

"Seal Card Shot" description: Shot -> Shoot (and it's technically not a Spellcard but rather a normal Amulet/Ofuda)

before Demo-boss: intresting -> interesting

during dialogue with Mystia: more powerful that her -> than her
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:43:57 AM by Yookie »

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 03:26:31 PM »
patch note 1.0.3

- Items should work now as they should
- some typos were fixed
- general "without a safepoint saving" disabled on all maps

- resolving reset bug from F12

future fixes in later releases

Time until fixed demo is uploaded : ~ 45 minutes from post time

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
I did a short 20 minutes run, and couldn't continue because mainly the game was too laggy for me (same issue as Colticide), but if you can allow me to disable Full Screen Mode, then maybe the game might run a bit smoother. Yet again, I'm pretty confident that my laptop's specs is decent enough to handle RPGM games, so the lag problem is probably caused by the game, but I don't know.

Regarding the intro skipping bug mentioned above, I could skip the intro normally, so yeah no problem with that.
As for the introduction song syncing, I too have my song ended and looped right when Miko shows up, but I believed this is caused by the lag.

The game also lags abit when I tried to attack or use skills.
And the sneaking button does nothing for me as well(or the game was too lag for me to notice the difference)

Well regarding the game design,I think the world map looks great, can't wait to see the full map of Gensoukyo. The main menu looks okay to me. I like the Quest System(Give me all those goodies :3)
What I like the most(so far) is the normal enemy fairy AI, where they actually try to retreat when in low HP, I found that to be pretty neat.
As for the gameplay, I wouldn't comment on it yet since I can't play the game at its best state at the moment.

A mini map feature in the dungeon stage would be useful, I tend to get lost in these kind of dungeons without it (unless that's the original intention then never mind this)
It would also be great if there's an option that allows the player to change the key-mapping(if possible).
In my opinion, you should place the "Wolyafa Production" Scene and the Disclaimer Scene before the Title Screen instead of after, but that's just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:53:46 PM by Heartnet »

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
You can switch between Fullscreen and Window mode with Alt+Enter.

And to maybe clarify the intro skipping thing: It doesn't ask if you wish to play it but if you want to skip it, so hitting "no" plays it and "yes" skips it.
I think there was some confusion about that earlier.

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »
I'm short on time right now...
I will answer in around 2h
(Also, the upload of the fixed version 1.0.3 is on the way right now, will be postet when im back

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2014, 05:58:22 PM »
Fixed Demo is now Live! : https://mega.co.nz/#!cYdRFRYB!phcfEwZow38408xyWN8_VPm6Q4IyMVhddmdEEnoFy-4

@Heartnet : Which specs does your Laptop have?

About an minimap, well it was in some "pre-alpha builds planned" but scraped because of bugs... but I gonna try to keep anything as simple as possible, i.e the "Forest of Magic" has a partly "brown" path.... for orientation purpose...

About settings for controls... you could, if you want use xpadder, with it you can bind keyboard keys to a gamepad button

and lastly, about placing the add before the intro... hmm, that way the player would have it "every" start-up.

And regarding the mystia boss fight, yeah... it's kinda bugged sometimes...

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »
You can switch between Fullscreen and Window mode with Alt+Enter.

And to maybe clarify the intro skipping thing: It doesn't ask if you wish to play it but if you want to skip it, so hitting "no" plays it and "yes" skips it.
I think there was some confusion about that earlier.
:colonveeplusalpha:

I... feel very dumb, I kept looking at it but it never registered in my head as that. Wow, good job me.

That's why I can't play it well, all my other specs are fine but the 64 bit OS isn't supported, then again I'm not very good with how computers ultimately work but that is the only thing that I don't have.

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »
Here's my specs
I currently have 108GB free space for my hdd. System Locale set to Japanese(Japan). My video card resolution is 1366x768 True Color (32bit), 60Hz

I downloaded the new demo and played it in Windowed Mode. Game is still choppy when I'm in a stage map (including Kourindou)and the world map, the main menu navigation is smooth.

Now there's a bug at the introduction cutscene. After the characters intro(EoSD to Ten Desires), the game will prompt to ask the player if they want to go through the Control Tutorial. Choosing "yes" will result the screen to stay black, with the intro song playing, while the game explains the control, but remains black after the explanation. Choosing "no" will give the same result, except the control explanation.

Oh, I never noticed the brown path lol.

About the disclaimer and development team logo thingy, I personally just found it strange, since most fangames I played usually put their development team logo on start-up before the title screen. But hey, don't mind me, it's your game. :V

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:25:17 PM by Heartnet »

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2014, 07:45:53 PM »
oh man -.- I hate bugs...
(New version will be up soon...)

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »
And again... this time... hopefully bugfree (and with a modified mystia AI)
version 1.0.4 -> https://mega.co.nz/#!tVMhjBaa!BQNOYBgESbWnPogbTYmgsMGtk5UOpvc5OXF0J0YqZsg

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
Anyone found the "golden chest" in the forest yet?

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »
I did find the golden chest, but only after you mentioned it. (It also probably was added in 1.04, so there's that)
It's hidden in a rather peculiar way I must say.
I found it in this location
Spoiler:
but it despawned before I could open it while I was busy removing the fairies in the vicinity. After reentering it reappeared here. Having it warp around is kinda neat but I suppose I would have found it even without knowing about it since it does seem to spawn in easily visible areas. I assumed it would be hidden somewhere in the trees like the fairies enjoy to do when they drop to low health. :V
Apparently spoilers are broken?

- Items are now properly usable outside of the menu
- Didn't check on Mystia yet What is the intended level for Mystia? I'm at 11 and having a really hard time not timing the first phase out. If I do though her Health Bar doesn't reset and the game freezes if I then deplete it during her second phase.
- reset-error persists and gives the same message
- A (new) bug has appeared: When you finish the Kedama quest it immediately gives you the reward of 2000 Yen after which you can reaccept it at the board. Since it seems to count the kills by checking your inventory and counts as completed if you have the 10 corpses you can finish it instantly over and over again for infinite money.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:14:40 PM by Yookie »

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
Good to get such nice feedback from you Yookie :)

Now that you mention it.. yeah, kinda forget to add that the 10 dead kedamas get removed from inventory afterwards...

but at least everything works now so far...

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 12:16:55 PM »
I just
Good to get such nice feedback from you Yookie :)

I just really like seeing such great effort being put into this. ~
You can really see the potential of this project so I thought I could help out like that.

- Didn't check on Mystia yet What is the intended level for Mystia? I'm at 11 and having a really hard time not timing the first phase out. If I do though her Health Bar doesn't reset and the game freezes if I then deplete it during her second phase.

I'll grind a bit and then check if the freezing is consistent. It's somewhat inconvenient that you can't leave the Map Mystia is on after entering it though.
Okay, so I leveled up to 13 and managed to not time out her first phase
which instantly ended the fight and gave me the credits. You broke something there I think. :V
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:52:17 PM by Yookie »

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »
I just found out that RPG Maker XP runs in 40FPS mode, guess that explains why I thought the game was "lagging".  :V
Anyway, the intro song syncing was perfect (no looping) after ticking the "Reduce Screen Flickering" option at F1.

On my first run, I found my golden chest right after the bridge. I just walk run and kill everything I see while following the brown path, and managed to get to Lvl10 before facing Mystia. I didn't even finish the Kedama Quest lol.  I really underestimated Mystia, got killed after tanking the rapid-fired danmaku on her third phase. I finally defeated her on my second try, at third phase but I almost die though.

After finding out I couldn't exit from Mystia Boss Map, I did a second run to grind to Lvl13 before fighting Mystia. Incidentally, I found the golden chest at the area right before the Kedama spawn area this time. Guess the gold chest location is randomly generated? I tried to defeat her before the first timer runs out, and failed, killed her on her second phase, saw the ending normally. On my second try, I killed her at the second phase (Timer=0:22) and the game just freeze.

Since these typos wasn't fixed in the latest demo, I guess I should mention them here:
  • Control Tutorial: Is the game running to slow?
  • In one of Mystia's conversation(Forgot the whole sentence): Spelt "Duell" wrong

Here is what I thought after playing the demo twice:
- The Forest of Magic stage design was good, fairies wandering around, attacking the player in groups, and retreating to the forest(trees) when they realize they chose the wrong opponent. Yeah, that's how I imagined the fairies living in the forest would behave. Good job on that.

- For the boss fight, after seeing the timer, I was expecting the boss to replenish her HP after the end of each phase/spellcard, like how boss fight works in Touhou games. I was wrong, the boss fight ends right when I depleted her HP to 0, and was kinda disappointed that the battle ends so fast, but then I thought maybe it's because third phase was the last phase, so I did another boss fight to confirm. Then, my next boss fight ends on the second phase. I'm not sure if this was intended or just another bug.

- If I assume that this is unintended, and it is possible to capture spellcards, I was thinking that maybe the player can get different rarity/rank of rewards, depending on how many spellcards the player managed to capture during the boss fight. Yet again, maybe you were trying to make the boss stronger, harder to get close to and uses more hard-to-dogde attacks as time passes too long, thus encouraging the player to defeat the boss as fast as possible before things get out of hand. I guess that would work as that would emphasize the importance of choice of equipments/accessories and attack formation/strategy planning before facing a boss fight.

-If I assume this is intended, the way I see it, player can survive most of the spellcards (except the last) simply by just running in circles around the boss stage and wait for the timer to run out. Maybe not if the boss fires danmaku Touhou style, but I doubt that works since player's attack is melee, and also the fact that you can't shoot diagonally. Also, there really isn't any advantage in trying to defeat her within the time limit, and player can ends boss fight too fast if they over-grind too much, which is bad because finishing the boss fight without seeing their full potential kinda takes the fun out of an RPG game. What I would suggest is that instead of putting the timer, you can make the boss changes attack patterns or use spellcards after their HP is dropped to a certain level or %.

Overall, I think this project looks good so far and have great potential. I really like the concept, and can easily be one of my favorites if done correctly. Can't wait for the full game to be completed.  :)

I apologize if I somehow offended you in any way, since I always over-thinking things when there is too less information.  :V 
By the way, I was wondering if you are going to exclude Suika, Tenshi and Iku, since I didn't see their sprites during the introduction.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:30:04 PM by Heartnet »

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »
Thank you for your great feedback Heartnet! :)

I'm currently working on some more stuff, and a follow up Demo will be out after some time...

things that are planed right now :

- making a few changes to the intro
- changing some typos
- some other stuff (currently working on Scarlet Mansion

And a big thanks to everyone who helped with testing so far!

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2014, 09:18:25 PM »
When I tried to listen to the song from the Intro, I got this error:

http://anony.ws/i/2014/10/07/eastnewsound.png
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:20:42 PM by Shiina Tamai »

Wolyafa

• Game Designer
  • nyu~!
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2014, 03:33:23 PM »
Oh, another bug, well...

I'm working on a new kind of demo for this game right now, with a bit more story

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »
Hey there, two things here:

1. Works great in WINE 1.6.2.

2. You should update the OP when you release new demos. That way, people can just refer to the first post instead of scrolling through the thread looking for updates.

I love fanworks, and this one is shaping up nicely. Thanks for all your hard work!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."