Author Topic: danmaku arena shmup, looking for sprite artist and maybe level scripter  (Read 4171 times)

I've been working on a 2d danmaku arena shooter.

I was posting here looking for some sprites for it, but no, that is actually the wrong way to do things. This probably isn't a good place to get constructive criticism either. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:54:08 AM by fireskies »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
Re: danmaku arena shmup, looking for sprite artist and maybe level scripter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
Sprites, level backgrounds, and level scripting all need to be done.

I haven't used Danmakufu, but I'd say this system is much easier, if more limited. There are also a couple unique "gimmicks" that you can't do with Danmakufu.

Art needed for what I'm planning:

2 characters * 4 or 8 directions * 3 weapons * 3 attack frames
some bullet sprites
3 level backgrounds
some enemy sprites (some possible ones are started)
maybe some character art to put next to dialogue

I'm looking for, let's say, Walfas-quality character art or better. For that matter, you could start from Walfas pics if you want. If photos with Photoshop filters can work for things, that's fine too.

Two things:
1) Walfas Quality Art or Better? Why set your standards so low?
2) "There are also a couple unique "gimmicks" that you can't do with Danmakufu."
^Considering I have successfully attempted to make a visual novel using danmakufu and someone made HRtP in Danmakufu, I don't think you can go off saying this. Especially now that you can fiddle with 3D meshes, render targets, CommonData, and Shaders.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:17:12 AM »
Walfas-quality or better would be for the player and enemy sprites; presumably it would be possible to do better than that for dialogue art.

I don't think Danmakufu can do anything involving shots hitting shots or player movement.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:19:22 AM »
Shots hitting shots have long been possible in Danmakufu. Except when Danmakufu just started which was like 4 years ago...

No, seriously. Danmakufu is limitless.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 05:41:22 AM »

I haven't used Danmakufu, but I'd say this system is much easier, if more limited. There are also a couple unique "gimmicks" that you can't do with Danmakufu.

If you have not used Danmakufu before, what exactly do you know about it's limitations? FYI, Danmakufu (ph3) has so many features, as well as being open enough to create a non Touhou/SHMUP game within it. I doubt you have any kind of "unique gimmicks" that it can't handle.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 11:07:19 AM »
In terms of bullet patterns, sure, there probably isn't anything that Danmakufu can't do. But that wasn't the point of the bullet scripting system; the point was making it easier to write bullet patterns while still giving good flexibility. Danmakufu is a programming API while I made something that basically involves copy + paste + filling in values.

I haven't used Danmakufu, but I looked at the function list and a couple scripts.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
Once again, you're making assumptions when you know nothing about the engine. Just because you "looked at the function list and a couple of scripts" doesn't mean you know anything about it what it can and can't do. I don't even see how you can even argue that against people who actually have used the engine.

I don't see how much easier its going to get than Danmakufu's scripting style, you're certainly not doing a good job at selling your engine to us especially if you're comparing it to an engine you know nothing about, and describing your engine as giving enemies a predefined set of attacks, how is that easier and flexible? What if the scripter wants to do his/her own thing? Your engine seems very one sided or "limited" copy and paste as you stated. That's not a good selling point to be honest.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
Here's a screenshot of the test level. Please ignore the placeholder art.
http://i.imgur.com/NhIyoMk.png
The enemy type here has 2 attacks: a 6 shot x 2 burst spread shot that stops then goes in a random direction, and a burst spiral. Each attack is configured with 12 parameters.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:55:19 AM by fireskies »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 05:00:05 PM »
The enemy type here has 2 attacks: a 6 shot x 2 burst spread shot that stops then goes in a random direction, and a burst spiral. Each attack is configured with 12 parameters.

Just because there are 12 parameters doesn't mean it's not possible in danmakufu.

Have you seen "Never the Same Danmaku" by Nuclear Cheese? There are millions of permutations for the attacks that the script will spit out at you. And you can configure it to tell you the parameters so you can have a copy of which parameters make which attack. And that was made, what? Before ph3?

Now I don't mean to be rude, but I'm going to describe the attack I just made in Danmakufu.

There is a boss, surrounded by 12 firewalls. Enemies come in to attack the boss. They fire kunai which, if they enter a certain radius of the firewalls, will be deleted. If they hit the boss, there is a x% chance they will respawn as talismans a certain radius from the player, aimed from that particular spot to the player's position on the cartesian plane.

Notably, the firewalls will only reflect damage if hit by the bullets fired by these specific enemies, and they take a different percentage of data after a certain number of frames from the player's shots.

Once 12 of the 18 firewalls have been deleted, the boss will fire lasers and wipe out the assailants, which will explode into shots and effects controlled by an external script, triggered by a function of Danmakufu ph3 that allows for direct communication across various scripts.

After this, a different set of attacks are unleashed varying based on difficulty.

And now, once again not trying to be rude, is this possible in your engine?

NOTE: I know that this is off topic, but try not to make assumptions like 'my engine > danmakufu.' I'm pretty sure that you can make a 3D Live Action Shooting RPG in danmakufu if you tried.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:01:40 PM by Sparen »

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 06:21:07 PM »

I would be more interested in seeing the code layout really. Going based on the screenshot, this doesn't look hard to replicate in danmakufu at all. If I had the spare time I could replicate it within a day or a few hours. So yeah, I would certain like to see how the code looks in your engine.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
[obsolete code deleted]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:52:25 AM by fireskies »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 11:58:20 PM »
/*code*/

Hmm... no manual positioning or acceleration/angular velocity implementation?

Anyways, sorry for going off topic. Those here who specialize in danmakufu may or may not want to spend time learning your language.

On an even less positive note, most of the projects here that need original sprites and/or graphics are usually unanswered. Spriting in particular.

Honestly, I suggest grabbing a graphical editor and doing the sprites yourself, because that way you will be able to create exactly what you're looking for. Otherwise, Drake's Projects should have some of what you need.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »
On an even less positive note, most of the projects here that need original sprites and/or graphics are usually unanswered. Spriting in particular.

Hmm, yes. I think I see what I'm doing wrong, actually.

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 07:23:02 PM »
This is a very friendly site.

-edit- No elitism either. After looking around a bit I think this is a great place. But I think I'd better take my own projects elsewhere. I hope the TA's project is successful...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 07:38:02 PM by Omegahugger »

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 12:17:39 AM »
I was posting here looking for some sprites for it, but no, that is actually the wrong way to do things. This probably isn't a good place to get constructive criticism either. Nevermind.
Posting hear without any form of payment to spriters will unlikely get you anything. Get a friend or someone willing to do it for free is my suggestion.  Also, this place is a great place for constructive criticism if you're willing to take it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:29:46 AM by PhantomSong »

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 02:22:32 AM »
Also, this place is a great place for constructive criticism if you're willing to take it.

https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,16954.150.html

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 06:46:13 AM »
@ Phantomsong, not entirely true. Maybe someone is willing to make a few sprites or maybe not. But it is indeed extreme rare and usually unanswered.

The main problem is that spriting require tremendous amount of effort, especially when you want animation. Not to mention spriters are also rare people. You'll have easier time finding a person drawing you portraits than create sprites. Most people who make games and can sprite, usually do it for their own game.

Maybe some people will make them for a small payment (commission) but you'll need to find those (pixiv / devianart). The question then remains is whether you're allowed to publish it in your game (discuss it with the artist).