Author Topic: PSV is almost out...Now I hunt for PSPs  (Read 2056 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
PSV is almost out...Now I hunt for PSPs
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:23:16 AM »
So yeah, I told myself I'd get a PSP when the price takes a nosedive after PSV's release, and I've been doing some research. First though, I was really taken off guard when I leared that PSPs are not being sold anywhere anymore in retailers. Gamespot, futureshop, HMV, etc. They all say they don't get them anymore, nor do they plan to. I was surprised because Sony generally continues to sell their older consoles and such, and sometimes even re-makes them to be smaller and cheaper like they did with the PS1 and PS2. For example, I got my PS2 for cheap and new after the PS3 was out (and I did for the 1).. blhabhag..

So yeah, I'm now checking craigslist and such, but I'm not sure what kinda PSP I want, or how much of a price difference is justified between the models. I did some research on wiki and such but I'd like any confirmation/corrections on my part.

PSP1000 = old and suck, don't get.
PSP2000 = Worth getting maybe...This is what people call the PSP slim right?
PSP3000 = Ideal. I read some people prefer 2000 because of interlacing issues, but I'm thinking I'll like the contrast feature more. Is this what people call PSPFat? IF not, what is the PSPFat? What is this one called?
PSPGo = Don't get. Not only does the control scheme on it look hideous, but its limited to PSN download games ONLY... However, I'm not really opposed to this if the library is decent now, is it? Basically the only PSP games I know I want atm are valkyria chronicles 2 and 3 (is 3 even out yet in English?), and the Monster hunter series. I have no clue how many games Monster hunter has on PSP's PSN, or on the discs.

That's all I read on the wiki, but when I look at craigslist, I see some weird model numbers like "PSP3001".. wtf is 3001? I read that there are area codes for the psps, but I didn't read that they replace the model numbers, is 3001 really just a 3000 with the 001 area code? That's my best guess but I'm not sure. Currently though, the best offer I can find is a 3001 for 60 bucks (canadian...cheap). I don't know if the condition is satisfactory or not.

Speaking of condition, are there any models that are known for being longer lasting? I'll only get one that is either new or unused, or looks completely mint. However, even by an examination, sometimes things are not reliable used, so I'd like to know if anybody thinks some models are better than others in this category. Thanks for any advice/info >=)

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
Re: PSV is almost out...Now I hunt for PSPs
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:12:30 AM »
PSPFat refers to the 1000 series.

Pretty sure the end numbers refer only to the region it was made in/for/whatever.
So, yeah, 3001 would just be a 3000 series PSP made in the NA region.

No clue on the longer lasting. Personally, I have a PSP 1002 which I bought during its launch. Still works fine, though I need to replace the battery.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
PSPs are quite durable. As for which model, it really depends. If you want to crack it, then go for a 2k if you can find a good one, or a 1k if you just want pricing. I would really recommend the 2k, as the slim model is just that much more comfortable on the hands than the fat. If you're not going to crack it, then go for the 3k.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
I use a PSP1k from 2004, but it sucks because of lack of game compatibility if you're cracking it. 2k is almost always preferable in that respect.

Otherwise pick 3k. 

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »
I had a PSP1001 from 2007 to 2010. Hacked it to run a ton of emulators, which really extended the life out of the system. Alas it broke down amid a failed D-Pad mod attempt.

I now have a PSPGo my brother gave (as he got it for a Christmas present but no longer uses it); I absolutely advise against this model.

So, that being said, go for a 2000 or 3000 model if you can. The 1000-series has a horrible D-Pad (hence the mods) as well as lower memory; the only real thing it has over the other models is an IR sensor that can allow the PSP to be used as a remote with the right software.

Second, hack it. The official firmware has been stuck on 6.60 for a while now, and custom firmwares have caught up and are sitting idly. Plenty of good homebrew exists on the platform, namely emulators. Also, with the game UMD, a large enough memory stick, custom firmware, and a ripping program (I forgot the name though ^^') you can even make ISO/CSO backups of your games which load faster and consume less battery. (I'm not sure how PSN purchases and features would be affected, though)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:40:48 PM by LOLSQUID 짬뽕 스페셜 »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:53 PM »
I'm just posting here to say that I very briefly thought the title meant "Phantasy Star 5."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »
Thanks guys. I just ignored the hacking bit since I assumed hacking was for piracy but based on peopel promoting it and the lack of snowball challenges or whatever, I guess PSP's have legitimate uses for hacking >=P. I'll research that next I guess.

I was really interested in the higher contrast screen though qq.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
Also, with the game UMD, a large enough memory stick, custom firmware, and a ripping program (I forgot the name though ^^') you can even make ISO/CSO backups of your games which load faster and consume less battery. (I'm not sure how PSN purchases and features would be affected, though)

CFWs newer than PRO-B6 (iirc) let your computer read the UMD inside the PSP through the USB connection, instead of the memory stick.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 01:04:22 PM »
Of course piracy exists but custom firmware developers, much like iOS jailbreakers, consider it an unfortunate side effect of their work.

The 3000's high-contrast screen is a bit hit and miss, but going by the Go's settings it can be adjusted between that and the standard screen.

CFWs newer than PRO-B6 (iirc) let your computer read the UMD inside the PSP through the USB connection, instead of the memory stick.
Ah, I see. Haven't really paid attention to PSP hacking developments lately.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 04:57:18 AM »
I have a 3000. With TN-HEN, of course. I don't know the difference between 2000s and 3000s hacking wise, since I don't own a 2000, but I do like my 3000; it works perfectly. Emulators and such as well.
Currently playing Earthbound on it.
Battery life? Hmmm, about 2~4 days worth of on/off playing?

I'd say if hacking isn't your original and main goal, then just get the newer one. It'll probably be easier to get than any of the older models anyway.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 07:09:15 AM »
I'm just posting here to say that I very briefly thought the title meant "Phantasy Star 5."

Me too.  I came in very excited.

Anyway, I was 3000.  I even have a neat little holder/battery pack that adds like ten hours of battery life and makes feel like normal PlayStation controller.  I mean I don't know about anyone else, but found the PSP very uncomfortable to hold by itself.  It was just too thin.