Author Topic: What would you like to see in the next Touhou?  (Read 26487 times)

Lucarius

Re: What would you like to see in the next Touhou?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 03:12:52 AM »

Call me retarded, but I fail to see why that isn't an option for him.

It's an option, yes. Certain characters already have multiple songs. It's just about the difficulty of maintaining ZUN quality, not just music-wise but naming-sense and coherence.

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 03:17:20 AM »
suggestions (that may or may not make sense together, but still):
- an elaborate and fun scoring system
- multiple routes (possibility of fighting different final bosses)
- extra stages in the main game
- TLBs (but no second loops :p)
- more need for movement during stages
- unlockable content such as spellcard practice room (with more Last Words)
- a challenging, competitive game in the hardest difficulty settings, whose playthroughs would be pleasant to look at
- a game that's not stressing to play on the easiest difficulty settings
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »
EXP

Multi path, multiple possible companion, multiple npc, multiple ending, multiple side quest, multiple love interest, etc.

Secret area

more need for movement during stages
3D ARPG, big enough?

unlockable content such as spellcard practice room (with more Last Words)
Level up, buy skills, upgrade power, etc.

a challenging, competitive game in the hardest difficulty settings, whose playthroughs would be pleasant to look at
Hard mode newgame+ with every boss using their true ability and their epic danmaku pattern.

a game that's not stressing to play on the easiest difficulty settings
Don't play newgame+

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 05:06:46 AM »
We have that in Touhou Eiyashou (Eirin or Kaguya) already. I'm working on a Danmakufu fangame to do the same thing.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 05:32:28 AM »
We have that in Touhou Eiyashou (Eirin or Kaguya) already.
TWO ROUTES! SO MANY!

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 05:49:58 AM »
I sometimes do think that ZUN actually has a dart board for the story line........ (you have to listen to 'This Is Not An Anime Podcast' to understand this and it's in the Touhou sucks section)
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Desert

• Teehee!
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 06:59:47 AM »
Aside from multiple routes that have been mentioned, I always thought it'd be kinda interesting if each character fought a different final boss. Like say, Marisa fighting one that requires more movement, while Reimu gets to fight one that requires more precise maneuvering.

Oh, and maybe different dialogue when playing pacifist. That'd be neat.
Yup, still lurking.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »
A probable reason why he creates new characters instead of reusing old ones is because he wants to create new events based on different fictional history (all Japanese folklore except 6).
Don't tell me that nuclear crows are part of the Japanese folklore!
Then again, Yatagarasu...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2009, 09:25:06 AM »
Not sure I feel very passionate about no new characters - it's kinda nice to see new faces - but it'd be great to see some characters come back.

The multiple paths idea is great though. It could be a "Choose Your Own Adventure" style game: at the end of a stage, you're given several options as to which path you want to take. Each path leads through different sceneries, music, and bosses. The inclusion of just three possible paths at the end of each stage would create ... um, a lot of different adventures in a single game. In this way, you could play a single game many, many times and get a different game each time.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2009, 12:44:35 PM »
Am I the only one who wants a Touhou visual novel?  ZUN can do the scenario, but please for the love of Mary, Mother of Jesus and Most Sainted Mother, LET TASOFRO DO THE SPRITE ARTWORK.

Seriously, though.  How awesome would that be? 

Lucarius

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »
Visual novel...

I think ZUN prefers a form that suits an animated representation of the beauteous battle of spellcards.

I certainly do. However, that may only be because I'm overly cautious about R15 Touhou.

Tenbatsu! Myon Rabbie

• I cannot and will not learn.
  • Letty is sick of my shit.
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2009, 01:38:07 PM »
Needs more men

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »
Needs more men
Men in Gensokyo are reserve for staying home cooking, reproduction, raising kids, and training kids while the women go out and work! :V

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »
Is it canon that Gensokyo to not have ocean? If not, Zun could add it anytime.
Yes, it is. It's described as "landlocked" in the wiki, and "no oceans in Gensokyo" is mentioned in SSiB multiple times.
Kanako/Suwako have already moved a mountain and a lake, why not an ocean ?
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Lucarius

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »
Needs more men

I was thinking of this, but it mostly applies only to the human species.

Fairies are female. ZUN gives reasoning to why youkai are mostly female. Goddesses are mostly female in shinto. etc.

If you don't think about R15 material, the gender shouldn't be much of a problem.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:28:02 PM by Lucarius »

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »
Needs more men
why does this sentence reminds me of Valis IV? (I'm yet to play the non-SNES version :p)

Well, I must admit that I haven't thought well enough about a game having multiple final bosses (even if IN managed to do that), since there must be someone to start an... incident!!! (haven't played any VN games, so I don't know if this idea of possible different final bosses could still work :p)

Also, I would like the games to not have graze amount as one of the most important elements in scoring (can be a secondary element, though, or perhaps yield more points when attacking while or after grazing, for a short time; I liked the gauge in SA); there are other elements such as bullet cancels (Progear, ESP Galuda, Dodonpachi -- in this example, certain enemies clear the bullets on the screen when destroyed), chain hits (Dodonpachi, Mushihimesama -- in this example, it's fun to see the counter going up, but it's a bit troublesome to do so optimally) and usage of resources (Cyvern and Armed Police Batrider, to not mention ESP Galuda -- in Cyvern, you have the Banish meter, you must use it wisely and collect Banish refill items strategically; in APB, bombs often yield more points than normal/option shots and may have a larger coverage depending on the ship, besides being used to destroy background elements for points and revealing point medals that can't be attained otherwise; both games also feature medal upgrade systems, that increase the value of medals collected); there might be other ways, or ways to adapt these into Touhou :p
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2009, 07:31:57 PM »
Yeah, I mean, Yuka has four different themes across three games, Marisa has at least four (I think) if you don't count the remixes of Love-Colored Magic ...

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2009, 11:38:28 PM »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 08:32:48 AM »
Touhou bishojo ... hmmm ...

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Lucarius

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
I guess "more men" and "more hats" are considered to be more fruitful than "more characters." =_= /sigh

ZUN is devouring worldly culture at a rapid pace. He's going to be out of stock soon... That may signal the return of certain characters.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 08:28:48 PM »
He's going to be out of stock soon... That may signal the return of certain characters.
Or the birth of...
ZUNology!
:V
Also, bigger hats.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »
Touhou games are generally too elaborate for their own good in general, and "fun" scoring systems really do not exist (same with "boring" scoring systems)

- TLBs (but no second loops :p)
same thing

- more need for movement during stages
- a challenging, competitive game in the hardest difficulty settings, whose playthroughs would be pleasant to look at
- a game that's not stressing to play on the easiest difficulty settings
this has always been Touhou, and that is why people like it
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.