Author Topic: Luminous Dream v1.0.1 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame (COMPLETE)  (Read 69782 times)

Re: Luminous Dream v0.6 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 05:25:02 AM »
New version!

Luminous Dream v0.61

or

Extract this into your root danmakufu folder

Changes:
-Stage 6 boss's final spell is now a Last Spell.
-Furious reworking of Stage 3 boss's first and last spellcards. They're probably too easy right now; current updated version is more of a proof of concept for the new mechanics.
-Changed the extend points on the Extra stage to allow one more life, and made it easier to recover power after the midboss, hopefully.
-Changed the pacing a bit on stage 4.
-The stage 3 and stage 6 bosses are now easier to fight with Marisa on certain spellcards.
-Very slight increase to Marisa's attack power.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
Re: Luminous Dream v0.61 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 11:51:33 PM »
I'm gonna go attempt Lunatic now.
Watch this post!

Stage 1 pre-midboss portion: Ok.
Midboss 1 Non 1: Almost timed it out, even though I'm constantly hitting her. WTF? (Power at 1.54)
Midboss 1 Non 2: Ok.
Midboss 1 Spell 1: Reminds me too much of Shikigami Shot "Unilateral Contact".
Stage 1 post-midboss portion: Ok.
Boss 1 Non 1: Cool. Also, ahahahahahahaha Incarnation of Soul.
Boss 1 Spell 1: Hmm, perhaps a bit too sudden with the big bullets. Probably have them start slow and move faster.
Boss 1 Non 2: I detect possibilities of Wriggle Kick. I can't be sure, though. I never got tackled yet.
Boss 1 Spell 2: Good, but there should be something out of which the blue bullets come from. Possibly place a familiar between the horizontal lasers?
The background stops weirdly during the boss's explosion.

Stage 2 stage portions: Ok.
Midboss: Ok. What is she doing here again? Random bomb giving is random.
Boss 2 Non 1: I detect possibilities of walling.
Boss 2 Spell 1: Not too sure with the fist graphic. Cool.
Boss 2 Non 2: And then will there be none?
Boss 2 Spell 2: Not too threatening. Ok.
Boss 2 Spell 3: Not a good card. Too random. Perhaps put lasers where rocks will bounce on.

Stage 3 premid: Uh... enemies from behind. Not good.
Midboss 3 Non 1: Walls.
Midboss 3 Non 2: More walls. Reminds me of Uwabami Breaker's second boss.
Stage 3 boss: All ok.
Stage 3 boss final spell: Not good, really. I think I got walled on the very first wave of red bullets.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:08:04 AM by alt-kyuu-kyuu »

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 12:30:46 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Midboss 1 Non 1: Almost timed it out, even though I'm constantly hitting her. WTF? (Power at 1.54)
Hm. Decrease life, or increase time? Also, Reimu or Marisa?

Midboss 1 Spell 1: Reminds me too much of Shikigami Shot "Unilateral Contact".
Looking it up on youtube, these seem different enough to me that I'm not too concerned. It's the slightly askew bursts of lines of shots, isn't it?

Boss 1 Spell 1: Hmm, perhaps a bit too sudden with the big bullets. Probably have them start slow and move faster.
Not a bad idea. It's supposed to give the feeling of a surprise attack, but there's such a thing as too much.

Boss 1 Spell 2: Good, but there should be something out of which the blue bullets come from. Possibly place a familiar between the horizontal lasers?
Sure.

The background stops weirdly during the boss's explosion.
A consequence of how it was coded. I could probably figure out a way to get around this, but I'd have to redo all my background code.

Boss 2 Spell 3: Not a good card. Too random. Perhaps put lasers where rocks will bounce on.
Hmmm, tricky... the rocks bounce at set times, not at set locations. Then again, since they fall at a fixed rate, maybe some kind of horizontal line type indicator would do the trick......

Stage 3 premid: Uh... enemies from behind. Not good.
Enemies from behind, but from far off to both sides, and then move to the top center to be destroyed. Is this really a problem?

Stage 3 boss final spell: Not good, really. I think I got walled on the very first wave of red bullets.
Are you on v0.60 or v0.61? In 0.61, the only red bullets that appear should be if you spend too much time inside one of the detection circles.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 04:49:36 AM »
Hm. Decrease life, or increase time? Also, Reimu or Marisa?
Decrease life, of course. Just increase time by like, 5 seconds.
Also, Reimu, yeah. 1.54 because I accidentally bombed and died without knowing.

Looking it up on youtube, these seem different enough to me that I'm not too concerned. It's the slightly askew bursts of lines of shots, isn't it?
Basically, yeah. Double Black Death Butterfly is that, too.

Not a bad idea. It's supposed to give the feeling of a surprise attack, but there's such a thing as too much.
Actually, yeah. Do what you think is good enough.

A consequence of how it was coded. I could probably figure out a way to get around this, but I'd have to redo all my background code.
One function.... SetEffectForZeroLife.

Enemies from behind, but from far off to both sides, and then move to the top center to be destroyed. Is this really a problem?
Not really. But the most I'm comfortable with is enemies coming from the center sides.

Are you on v0.60 or v0.61? In 0.61, the only red bullets that appear should be if you spend too much time inside one of the detection circles.
I should really go ahead and update now, heh.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 05:17:42 AM »
Ok, updated.

For now, I'm gonna just go review the bosses.

Stage 4:
NS01: Ok. Maybe you should make the bullets waver in a sine wave instead of switching from one side to another. Just a "looks more beautiful" thing.
NS02: Hey there, Chen. Too glaringly obvious a reference.
SP01: Umm... ok?
NS03: This is what I like to see. Good.
SP02: A bit awkward movement there. Fairies might have to move slower.
SP03: Good. A bit random, but that's not too bad.
SP04: Too Keine-like. Good otherwise.

Stage 5:
NS01: http://i.imgur.com/soSXm.png
SP01: The mirrors are lasers. Didn't catch that, so I ran into one.
NS02: Much easier. Thank god.
SP02: Danmaku Centrifuge. Enough said. Ok, though.
NS03: I swear, I'm not going to rush up to near Emi and dodge from there. Instead I'm gonna squeeze through the gaps in between the orange bullets.
SP03: Reminds me of Pokemon. Really cool.
SP04: I officially render Luminous Dream impossible to try no-vertical runs with. Good spellcard, though.

Stage 6:
NS01: Good.
SP01: I'm curious as to why you removed bomb resistance from the lasers...
NS02: Very very bad! I can't keep up with the bullets going slow and fast and slow and fast. It's always random where they stop as well. It's literally too dense to move between the bullets when they're slow, too.
SP02: Demon Binding Ring.
NS03: Mima used Tackle! It's a critical hit. Marisa fainted.
SP03: Eh... Ok.
NS04: A lot of spellcards are referenced in this. Nondirectional, Delusion Butterfly, etc. Ok, though.
SP04: This is actually really brilliant.
SP05: Hah, everything but the player is greyscaled.

Attached is a way to cheese the first part of the last spell card of the main game, ending with a purposeful (?) ram into a familiar (which strangely has a hitbox). Perhaps you should do something to prevent people from doing that? [attach=1]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:53:00 AM by alt-kyuu-kyuu »

Yukari-Chan

• Excuse me while I prepare /your/ demise. <3 TSO
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 05:11:23 PM »
Oh new version. I regret to inform you that  I will not download this version due to my half way done in shot replace and the backgrounds are basically getting cel shaded and Hazy.
" Borders are Borders. They were meant to be manipulated and mistreated. "

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 11:53:25 PM »
NS01: Ok. Maybe you should make the bullets waver in a sine wave instead of switching from one side to another. Just a "looks more beautiful" thing.
I would, but it'd be too similar to NS2. Maybe I'll just keep it to one direction.

NS02: Hey there, Chen. Too glaringly obvious a reference.
Crap, I wasn't even thinking of Chen. Hmm.

NS01: http://i.imgur.com/soSXm.png
WHUPS

SP01: The mirrors are lasers. Didn't catch that, so I ran into one.
Is it more intuitive to assume the mirrors are damaging or non-damaging? I might just make them non-damaging.

SP03: Reminds me of Pokemon. Really cool.
I'm curious - what's the pokemon connection?

SP01: I'm curious as to why you removed bomb resistance from the lasers...
Did I? Odd, they're supposed to have bomb resistance. I'll fix that.

NS02: Very very bad! I can't keep up with the bullets going slow and fast and slow and fast. It's always random where they stop as well. It's literally too dense to move between the bullets when they're slow, too.
Bluh! I'll touch this up. Maybe on other difficulties, too, I have some ideas.

NS03: Mima used Tackle! It's a critical hit. Marisa fainted.
This has always been my least favorite of her nonspells. I might just scrap it and replace it with something else entirely.

Attached is a way to cheese the first part of the last spell card of the main game, ending with a purposeful (?) ram into a familiar (which strangely has a hitbox). Perhaps you should do something to prevent people from doing that?
I'll check this out when I get home from work.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 12:53:30 AM »
I would, but it'd be too similar to NS2. Maybe I'll just keep it to one direction.
Eh... Maybe fire some kind of half-wall of bullets between the phases, when the direction changes?

Is it more intuitive to assume the mirrors are damaging or non-damaging? I might just make them non-damaging.
I dunno, I was thinking they were just some wall that you can't move through.

I'm curious - what's the pokemon connection?
this

Did I? Odd, they're supposed to have bomb resistance. I'll fix that.
You specifically put it in the code (setbombresist, false)...

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »
Oh wow, I'm really loving the game so far ^^ Being a disaster at dodging, i'm really happy to see there's an ease easy mode and a cool normal mode that I can play ^^ I can even venture myself in some hard and lunatic spellcards XD So far I'm really liking it~

Since I'm not a really good player, my feedback would be more about the looks...
I'd love if the mid-boss only chars had some dialog... I mean, they're so well drawn and cool looking, they could get a bit of attention ^^

Akeno is my favorite boss so far, I simply love her danmaku system with the radar circles~ The only things i'd suggest would be... maybe make her shoot the curvy bullets during her spellcards, it's odd to see them coming from nowhere while she moves towards where you are shooting (even if that helps a ton when using Marisa), so maybe make her shoot and move around, not necessarily being a sitting duck in front of you... Also, in her last spellcard, I dunno if that'd be possible, but maybe the red bullets could come from her or her light instead of the detection circle, so it'd be like, she hears the siren and shoots herself... I really miss the red bullets in the center during that spellcard ^^;

I honestly like how Emi's mirrors are damaging, it'd be odd if you could just fly through them... If you can make them act as non-damaging walls that don't let you fly through them, that'd be cool, but if not, that's fine with me XD I'd just suggest making she shoot less bullets in some of her non-spells, they can wall you pretty easily...

But anyways, it's pretty great so far, the music is really fitting for all bosses and stages, and the art is awesome ^^ The story is pretty great too, I can't wait to see it finished~
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:30:30 AM by Toyosatomimi »

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »
This thread is dead. Oh well, I'll just tell everyone that shotsheet was used.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 08:30:54 PM »

You sure?
Scissors is just busy with life and he's still busy making the shot definition script for the shotsheet I made. As well as waiting for backgrounds.

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I told him I can't do the backgrounds anymore do too school work. He did get a new artist. I wonder if the new artist is done yet.

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »
Any chance we could re-upload this on another sharing site? Megaupload isn't gonna cut it anymore...

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 03:37:26 AM »
Sorry for deadness! I've been taking a break from working on this for a few months, but I'm kicking development back up again.

Currently working on implementing a proper shotsheet (suggestions, anyone?). Once I have 0.62 done, I'll re-upload.

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 04:26:02 AM »
YESSSS I love this game, I'm really happy seeing you're back and that a newer version might come up soon *-*

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2012, 01:36:19 AM »
To clarify on my above suggestion request:

In a PM conversation, somebody slapped a shotsheet into my game and gave me this and a few others as examples of what it'd look like with a proper shotsheet. I like the look well enough and particularly want those raindrop bullets for Mahiru, but I didn't at the time get around to asking them for the full sheet, and I can't now since they were apparently banned during my absence. Anyone have a clue what sheet that is, or have a link to another sheet that has similar raindrop bullets?

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 01:46:53 AM »
That shotsheet looks a lot like the sheet that kyuu developed. Since you mentioned that the user that made it has been banned, I'm now pretty sure that I'm right. I've used it before in my as of yet unreleased project. He may be banned, but you should still be able to find him on IRC.

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:36 AM »
After some investigation, I am going with TinyShotData. I am already blown away by how much better the huge bubble shots look.

What's the etiquette with custom shotsheets? Do I need to ask for permission before using this thing? I'm obviously going to credit in the readme...

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 06:23:37 AM »
I've never specifically asked permission to use a sheet, but then again I've also never finished anything as big as Luminous Dream. I don't think it will hurt to ask, but anyone who has posted their shotsheet on this forum probably won't take offense to someone using it without explicit permission.

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2012, 06:37:50 AM »
I've never specifically asked permission to use a sheet, but then again I've also never finished anything as big as Luminous Dream. I don't think it will hurt to ask, but anyone who has posted their shotsheet on this forum probably won't take offense to someone using it without explicit permission.
All right, I'll just be sure to credit them and call it good.
Working on stage 3, things look much better already!

draganuv15

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 05:13:43 PM »
Could you upload this to another website because Megaupload has been taken down :(

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »
Could you upload this to another website because Megaupload has been taken down :(
Gonna do that when I get home from work tonight, with a new version! Should be about 8 hours from now.

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 02:24:46 AM »
Version 0.62 release.

Extract this into your Danmakufu folder
or
Standalone link

Pretty small update, but I needed to get back into the swing of things, and also get any download up at all. Main changes are a proper shotsheet and a fix for the awkward background freezes at the end of boss fights.

For the next steps in my adventure, I need your help!

• I still need a stage background artist. I am willing to commission this work. If you are up to the task, or know anyone else who might be, please get in touch ASAP. This is the biggest thing remaining that I don't have the skills to do myself.
  • It's about time for me to put up a new set of videos. For the next set, I want a Lunatic run, but I'm not good enough to pull that off myself! Thusly do I appeal to you, fellow forumgoers, to play through the game and leave me the replay files. Individual stages preferred, but a full game run is also OK. Marisa run preferred. Let dialogue run slow enough for someone watching as a video on youtube later to read it. Doesn't have to be a perfect run or anything like that, although a capture of Silhouette Fantasy would be aces.

Beyond that, I have a long laundry list of balance tweaks to make. Updating first post now.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2012, 06:06:48 AM »
It's about time for me to put up a new set of videos. For the next set, I want a Lunatic run, but I'm not good enough to pull that off myself! Thusly do I appeal to you, fellow forumgoers, to play through the game and leave me the replay files. Individual stages preferred, but a full game run is also OK. Marisa run preferred. Let dialogue run slow enough for someone watching as a video on youtube later to read it. Doesn't have to be a perfect run or anything like that, although a capture of Silhouette Fantasy would be aces.
Is a TAS run acceptable?  If so, I'm up for doing this.  If not, well, I've been meaning to give the higher difficulties a go, might have to get Silhouette Fantasy in 'spell practice' though.

Zil

Re: Luminous Dream v0.62 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »
Well, I just tried this out. You said that Lunatic was supposed to be between the Hard and Lunatic of Touhou, right? My impression was that it is almost humanly impossible. I don't think anyone's going to 1cc this. If you want replays, I could get through the individual stages, but it aint gonna be pretty. Anything past stage 3 would be a bomb-fest.

I don't want to come up with a list of problems, but there are two things you should probably be aware of.
- Many parts of the game can be "cheesed" with weird tricks. The most common is the classic "stand at the top of the screen and nothing can hit you" deal.
- Even more of the game, in particular the bosses, seems outrageously difficult, if not impossible.

Then these two things go together to make some fairly ridiculous situations. For example the stage 4 midboss's laser attack with the bullets floating up the screen. There is no way to stay under the midboss for long enough to damage her. You can, however, stand on top of her head and micrododge the crystals, damaging her the whole time. I'm pretty sure that's not how you're supposed to do the spell, but as far as I can tell, it is the only way to capture it.

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
Well, I just tried this out. You said that Lunatic was supposed to be between the Hard and Lunatic of Touhou, right? My impression was that it is almost humanly impossible. I don't think anyone's going to 1cc this. If you want replays, I could get through the individual stages, but it aint gonna be pretty. Anything past stage 3 would be a bomb-fest.

I don't want to come up with a list of problems, but there are two things you should probably be aware of.
- Many parts of the game can be "cheesed" with weird tricks. The most common is the classic "stand at the top of the screen and nothing can hit you" deal.
- Even more of the game, in particular the bosses, seems outrageously difficult, if not impossible.

Then these two things go together to make some fairly ridiculous situations. For example the stage 4 midboss's laser attack with the bullets floating up the screen. There is no way to stay under the midboss for long enough to damage her. You can, however, stand on top of her head and micrododge the crystals, damaging her the whole time. I'm pretty sure that's not how you're supposed to do the spell, but as far as I can tell, it is the only way to capture it.

Could I get a second opinion on this? I don't consider myself a Lunatic player (my best 1CCs are TD and IN on Hard), but I just tried Yuzuki's laser attack on Lunatic and captured it on my first try - replay attached. Tried again with Marisa, managed it in two tries. I am, however, interested in being alerted to easy cheese strategies, and good workarounds to seal them.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 04:45:56 PM »
Second opinion on that one card: way too hard to inflict damage.
You either have to do what Zil said, or stay unfocused for most of the card.

In addition, even some hard mode cards are FAR beyond Touhou lunatic difficulty-Royal Rainbow among them.
The game is still unbalanced between Reimu and Marisa. since in many cases being under the boss while not getting hit is next to impossible.

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »
Second opinion on that one card: way too hard to inflict damage.
You either have to do what Zil said, or stay unfocused for most of the card.
Well if the people are in agreement, I do have some ideas for how I can retain the core concept (bullet spread being thicker farther away from the boss + challenge to avoid getting pushed too far out of the "safe" zone) while making it easier to follow her, so I'll fiddle with it.

In addition, even some hard mode cards are FAR beyond Touhou lunatic difficulty-Royal Rainbow among them.
What would make this card better? Slower sweep? Lower density? Different difficulty gimmick than incerasing the number of lasers? Better AI for Houko moving to in front of the player?

The game is still unbalanced between Reimu and Marisa. since in many cases being under the boss while not getting hit is next to impossible.
Examples? I've been trying to work on this, which is why a number of bosses were changed to periodically move horizontally towards the player (notably Akeno and Houko) in some cards.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »
What would make this card better? Slower sweep? Lower density? Different difficulty gimmick than incerasing the number of lasers? Better AI for Houko moving to in front of the player?
Much lower density, a slower sweep and better AI, although density+sweep could be fiddled with.
Examples? I've been trying to work on this, which is why a number of bosses were changed to periodically move horizontally towards the player (notably Akeno and Houko) in some cards.
I can't think of any specific examples (rush from 90 FPS SA), but I do remember that the small range while focused made hitting bosses difficult in a lot of cases, even when they move towards you, you just have to move out of the way again.

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
I think I can improve the tracking AI on Royal Rainbow (predict where the player will be in the near future based on rotation around the center point, move towards there instead of where the player is now), and I'll fiddle with speed/densities. I may also just generally increase Marisa's damage output, at least when focused.