Author Topic: A Halo Topic  (Read 4381 times)

A Halo Topic
« on: August 10, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »
Not sure how many people here may play this great series of FPS games, but I figured I'd make a topic to discuss them. Whether it be about the campaigns, multiplayer, firefight, etc. Though since I'm not sure how many people here play these, maybe the topic will do well, or maybe it'll just die off.

I've been playing Halo 3: ODST a while since finally picking it up on Sunday. I've already finished up the campaign(Solo Legendary) outside of a few achievements(Super Sleuth glitched and didn't unlock for me, Rocket kills, Deja vu), but Firefight is kicking my ass. I think it's not worth trying to play that solo, even on Easy. And really, it's not a very fun mode to play solo. I got 200,000 on just one of the maps solo on Easy then just ended the game. It'd be kind of neat to set up some games of it, or do co-op runs of games, or even do some multiplayer on other games.

Also need to get back to playing Halo: Reach sometime as well. Also, can't wait for the Halo: CE Anniversary release to replay that game.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
Re: A Halo Topic
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 04:54:32 PM »
Would play more if I still had the PC version, though that's only for Combat Evolved.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »
Halo 1 was actually really fun back then, and Halo 2 was even better in terms of multiplayer due to online, though the campaign was a disappointment (I was hoping to see this level instead of the...toned down version :(). Seriously, Halo 2 has a HUGE multiplayer fanbase (half of it thanks to hype build up to the release of the game), But I was a part of that, it was huge. A lot of machinima videos spawned from it. And I followed those too.

Halo 3...I dunno I never liked it as much as Halo anymore, so I lost interest a month or so after it came out, which was unfortunate because I had a lot of high hopes for it. Because of my disappointment from the game, I skipped ODST and Reach, but looking at videos of Reach, it doesn't look bad at all. I like the new engine, it's a bit more detailed and realistic IMO, at least in terms of player model movements and etc. So I might eventually check it out.

...I'm not too thrilled about Halo 4 though, especially since it's not by Bungie anymore, but by the people responsible for the DLC maps and the creation/work of the new Halo Reach engine. So I dunno, it's iffy on me, but we'll see how it goes.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:31:04 PM »
but looking at videos of Reach, it doesn't look bad at all.
You mean this? [nsfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXasCjUTNpE[/nsfw]

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:32:39 AM »
Protips on firefight: 200,000 on Easy is not worth it, that shit'll take forever; I don't even know how long it'll take. Even on Normal it takes like 45 minutes to an hour. Normal and Heroic (if you're feeling risky) are your best options. Legendary's not worth it unless you're a pro or one lucky bastard. Also, your biggest enemy: brutes with incendiary grenades. One touch of ANY part of the fire, even for just a split second, and you're dead. Watch out.

On another note, ODST Campaign was fuckin' beautiful. New Mombasa was originally supposed to be raining at night in the campaign, but the hardware couldn't handle it. I swear, if they magically enabled rain during the campaign, I would have jizzed my pants so many times. I love ODST, the characters, the atmosphere, the setting, everything.

Halo 2 gets a shout-out from me for having the hardest first-mission on Legendary. Goddamn that shit's ridiculous. Also, dat multiplayer was some srsbusiness.

Halo 3 was a ton of fun with its load of new features.

Halo: Reach has been great to me so far. It runs off the ODST engine and it's a bit of a refreshing step away from Halo 2&3. I've been playing Reach quite frequently these days, almost daily. My friends and I consistently get 15+ win-streaks every night. Come at us bro BV

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:35 AM »
I love ODST, the characters, the atmosphere, the setting, everything.

Bonus points for having most of the people from Firefly doing the voices of the squadmates!

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 03:39:49 AM »
> not being console gamer
> halo 2 last pc
> ):

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:40:10 AM »
The one map I tried was a bit over 2 and a half hours on Easy while solo for 200,000. It just wasn't worth it.

Normal and higher solo seem a lot worse. You get grenades thrown from the start instead of only catch, the enemies are a lot more dangerous. 1 hit kills from the hammer even on Normal. Even on Easy I almost got screwed on some of the waves.

Of course, I don't know the tricks for the ODST Firefight maps like I do for some of Reach's firefight maps, so I don't exactly stand much of a chance. I don't know if I would bother with ODST Firefight again unless it was with a team. I guess i could at least do Be Like Marty by myself with a guest on Easy since that only requires one round. And even when you know the tricks, it seems like there's a lot that could go wrong.

I think my main problems with surviving Firefight on Normal or higher are(in no particular order):

The flying drones
Hunters
Grenades
Hammer Chieftains
sometimes the Brutes.

I'd definitely like to hit 200,000 on all the maps though as well as get Endure sometime, but I don't think I could stand it solo on any difficulty, and I don't have any teams yet.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:01:41 AM »
For me, the easiest firefight maps were Lost Platoon, Alpha Site, . If you want to get some out of the way, you should start with those two

Lost Platoon has spartan laser, sniper, a warthog, and choppers that you can jack. Surprisingly, choppers are quite effective against drones. Alpha Site is very camp-able and easy to defend by just staying in the back by the ammo. Sniper+shotgun helps too. Oh and one VERY VERY USEFUL thing to remember is that any weapons inside the elevator don't disappear when you leave them in there, so you can throw a bunch of fuel rods, hammers, etc in there and stock up on heavy weaponry.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 05:50:20 AM »
ODST was fucking amazing, enough said.

Reach, I didn't get a chance to actually finish the campaign.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 06:07:54 AM »
Oh yeah - if anyone hasn't yet, they really need to watch Red vs Blue. It's mostly a bunch of silly slapstick early on, but the story is actually really awesome, and once Monty Oum joins their ranks (I think that's in Season 7? I'm not sure exactly) it gets downright fucking amazing.

wooterz

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »
I got Halo Reach Limited Edition at walmart for $20.  8)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 12:54:01 PM »
> not being console gamer
> halo 2 last pc
> ):
This. And I'm not going to get an X360 just for this and Cave STGs.

Damnit MSFT and your Xbox-favouring games policy. No wonder all we get on PC are hobbled ports that run of GFWL (which is now a rebranded Xbox Live) and that its only PC games strategy is Age Online (total disappointment compared to AoE 1 & 2).
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Jes_Isaive

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 01:04:34 PM »
I got Halo Reach Limited Edition at walmart for $20.  8)
Pffft, that's nothing. I bought the legendary edition for $150. And then played the game for about a week. I'm using the book that came with it as a mousepad.
 :fail:

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 01:16:31 PM »
Didn't play much of 1, none of 2, plenty of 3 multiplayer with friends, no ODST, a bunch of Reach.  I enjoyed 3 more than Reach for the multiplayer.

Needs more zombies.
Oh yeah - if anyone hasn't yet, they really need to watch Red vs Blue.
"And then, she beat him to death with his own skull."
"That...doesn't seem physically possible."
"That's what he kept saying!"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:18:34 PM by theshim »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
Needs more zombies."And then, she beat him to death with his own skull."
"That...doesn't seem physically possible."
"That's what he kept saying!"

It's later topped by beating someone to death with his own body.

wooterz

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
My gamertag is dustyjo, maybe we could play together or something sometime.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 08:01:05 PM »
I used to play this. First-person shooters aren't exactly my thing, but the solo campaigns were fun enough way back when. I personally liked playing CE's campaign the best, and I have some fond memories with that game's multiplayer (freshman year at Minnesota, I would sometimes play with people on my floor). I bought a month of Xbox Live for Halo 3 multiplayer last summer, back when I still had access to my brother's 360, but I realized I didn't really want to take the game any further than that. It was fun, sure, but I can't take it seriously enough compared to other games.

I wouldn't mind looking into the CE remake though, since I plan to get my own 360 at some point for things like Sonic Generations and a couple Cave shooters.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 04:51:12 AM »
The campaign in all the major Halo games is definitely worth it from a story-telling standpoint. Unfortunately, the chronology is all kinds of messed up, especially from a technological standpoint.
Since Reach is technically the first game chronologically, you go from having awesome advanced armor kits and fancy and varied Covenant weapons and DMR rifles and Spartan Lasers to suddenly no Spartan Lasers, no BRs or DMRs, no SMGs, only Plasma Rifle/Pistol, Needler, Assault Rifle, (sniper) Pistol, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, then in Halo 2, no more Assault Rifle, no more sniper Pistol, we get SMGs and BRs, can dual-wield Needlers, Covenant Combines, Brute Shots, Brute Spiker thingies, can finally use Fuel Rod Cannons and Swords, and then we hit Halo 3, which brings BACK the Assault Rifle, can no longer dual-wield Needlers for some reason again, and then the Spartan Laser comes along, and all of a sudden we get deployable equipment like Grav Lifts, Bubble Shields, Power Drains, Flares, Radar Jammers, and Landmines.
While in Reach we had Jetpacks and Armor Locks and the ability to run fast which was taken away from us ???
Oh well! Like I said, the story is still hella good. Best played in chronological order for a storytelling experience, but from a gameplay perspective, do it in the order released.
Note that I haven't played ODST so I can't comment on where that stands within the chronology or technology issues.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 05:04:29 AM »
The campaign in all the major Halo games is definitely worth it from a story-telling standpoint. Unfortunately, the chronology is all kinds of messed up, especially from a technological standpoint.
Since Reach is technically the first game chronologically, you go from having awesome advanced armor kits and fancy and varied Covenant weapons and DMR rifles and Spartan Lasers to suddenly no Spartan Lasers, no BRs or DMRs, no SMGs, only Plasma Rifle/Pistol, Needler, Assault Rifle, (sniper) Pistol, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, then in Halo 2, no more Assault Rifle, no more sniper Pistol, we get SMGs and BRs, can dual-wield Needlers, Covenant Combines, Brute Shots, Brute Spiker thingies, can finally use Fuel Rod Cannons and Swords, and then we hit Halo 3, which brings BACK the Assault Rifle, can no longer dual-wield Needlers for some reason again, and then the Spartan Laser comes along, and all of a sudden we get deployable equipment like Grav Lifts, Bubble Shields, Power Drains, Flares, Radar Jammers, and Landmines.
While in Reach we had Jetpacks and Armor Locks and the ability to run fast which was taken away from us ???
Oh well! Like I said, the story is still hella good. Best played in chronological order for a storytelling experience, but from a gameplay perspective, do it in the order released.
Note that I haven't played ODST so I can't comment on where that stands within the chronology or technology issues.

Obviously a lot of the weapons were lost when Reach was destroyed, and they were only left with one giant ship to fight the first Halo. Master Chief was the last Spartan, but doesn't mean he EVER had the abilities to do all that.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 08:24:46 AM »
According to the books actually, he meets another group of Spartans on his way back to Earth from the first Halo, but they all get wiped out en route.

BUT EXPANDED UNIVERSE BOOKS AHAHAHA WHO READS THOSE SERIOUSLY
:foreveralone:

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »
THE RANDOM SWITCHING FROM BEING ABLE TO DUAL WIELD NEEDLERS. D:
I love needlers.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 08:54:43 AM »
Dual Needlers was pretty much an I-Win button. Then Halo 3 removed dual wield, upped the needle velocity and initial impact damage, and it was still more or less an I-Win button - but only if you could aim the damn thing. Reach has a fairly decent Needler, but it's like a slightly better Halo 1 Needler with better homing. If someone is using a Needler on your team, follow them with the Needle Rifle and the two of you will wreck anyone almost instantly. Use the Needler as a marker for who to nail with the Rifle.

Did you know that reloading dual SMGs took 4 seconds?

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 09:15:59 AM »
Reason why I only use covenant weapons mostly.

Needlers before the homing nerf, justified spraying.

wooterz

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 05:39:38 PM »
Holy shit Grifball is fun.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 12:01:19 AM »
You know whats even more fun about Grifball? When it's got the low-gravity mod on it, or the Grif player gets a speed boost as well... just charge right at the enemy team, and crouch-jump right out side the hammer range. Any eager beavers who swing their hammers will cause the shockwave to launch  you right over their heads and a good distance behind them. I've done that once in one game and scored three balls in a row, before they finally realized not to use hammers against me when I have the ball.
That being said, the primary weakness of Grif is swords.

wooterz

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 12:23:25 AM »
Just got back from a game where there was some 8-year-old that wouldn't stop singing "I fought the law."

Anyway, what's you guy's gamertags?