Author Topic: A Kingdom of Loathing thread? That's ridiculous. It's not even funny.  (Read 58845 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: A Kingdom of Loathing thread? That's ridiculous. It's not even funny.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 11:01:57 AM »
Oh boy oh boy the new ITEM OF THE MONTH is out.

The Tome of Clip Art.  Usable in Softcore or Hardcore, you can use it up to 3 times a day for 2 MP each casting, I believe.  You then get ten symbols and pick three of them.  The combination you use generates different items!

For instance, I was able to make
Spoiler:
A "Box of familiar jacks", which when used, gave me the familiar-specific familiar equipment that I would normally get from the arena.  For free!
.  I was also able to make some
Spoiler:
bucket of wine, and an Ur-Donut which didn't give me much in the way of adventures but I would probably summon on the first turn of a future game because 60+ in every substat
.  There's a goddamn tonne of combinations, it seems.

One of the most notable discovered so far is
Spoiler:
Borrowed Time, which gives you 20 of your adventures from tomorrow on use.  Came up just short of finishing an ascension?  WELL HERE YOU GO!

EDIT: Holy crap. 
Spoiler:
the Bucket of Wine is 10 drunkenness for about 19 adventures; which doesn't sound too great, but if you use it as nightcap with Ode to Booze, it's 29 adventures to end the day.  That's stupidly huge.  There's also apparently a +5 Adventures/Day accessory in there somewhere too
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:50:05 AM by Garlyle »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »
I am definitely saving up meats to get this tome. Talk about incredibly useful and flexible.

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 09:30:11 PM »
Heh, I took a good portion of a year off KoL, and I only realized yesterday that I had a Knob Goblin Organ Grinder. Didn't use it much before I took the break, so I guess that's why I forgot. :P

And, the IoTM isn't late this month?! *gasp* But man, there's some cool stuff in there, even though I have a Sugar Tome and a Sticker Tome, I still want this. :< Mostly because of the
Spoiler:
familiar jacks because they make familiar equipment WAY more viable in a (speed)run, but especially because of the bobcat grenade. Description: "Instead of gunpowder, bomb contained bobcats. Would not summon again." LOL, MUST HAVE.
But I don't have enough meat, and Mr. A's are so expensive these days...  :ohdear: On the other hand, this is an awesome item to invest in if you ask me. It's been 2 years since the last tome, and they're up to at least 20mil, not mentioning how awesome this tome is by itself.

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »
"Your item (lemon popsicle) was purchased at the Flea Market by sellbot for 50 Meat. The Flea Market took a cut of 1 Meat."

Repeat this eight more times. Forget playing the actual game, I'm having too much fun playing the market :P

UPDATE: And now I've broken the Money-Making Game.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:27:41 PM by The Meganekkolossal »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 11:17:45 AM »
You eat the Ur-Donut. Any problems that you had resulting from not having just eaten a donut have now been solved.

You gain 3 Adventures.
You gain 51 Beefiness.
You gain some Muscle points!
You gain 52 Enchantedness.
You gain some Mysticality points!
You gain 86 Sarcasm.
You gain some Moxie points!
You gain some Levels!
You acquire an effect: Sugar Rush
(duration: 10 Adventures)

Well, so much for ever starting the game at level 1 again.  I can summon that right off the bat as any class, for 2 MP, and it puts me to level 3.  I love this Item of the Month.

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »
Well, so much for ever starting the game at level 1 again.  I can summon that right off the bat as any class, for 2 MP, and it puts me to level 3.  I love this Item of the Month.

3 Astral hot dogs + 3 Ur-donuts = nearly level 5 and still room for a boring spaghetti or something. :V

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 02:37:39 AM »
Clearly, I'm going to have to stop devoting myself to Boozetafarian HC runs alone and allow myself to eat things at least once in a while.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 03:11:52 AM »
3 Astral hot dogs + 3 Ur-donuts = nearly level 5 and still room for a boring spaghetti or something. :V
Ah, but why waste my Astral food early when it is the best turngen in the game if saved until level 11? :3c

(Besides, I still have to go back and do the other quests)

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 03:37:59 AM »
Ah, but why waste my Astral food early when it is the best turngen in the game if saved until level 11? :3c

'cause I'm still pretty lazy casual yet and breezing through day 1 is pretty sweet too. :V

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 05:34:04 AM »
Fair enough.  I guess Astral Hotdogs are pretty cool for that anyway, since unlike booze (Which you can get good booze from the barrel and tavern quest day 1), it's hard to have good food to eat on the first day.

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 12:42:13 AM »
Aw yeah, just finished a 4-day HC Fist run. :D

So what do you guys think about the Fist path, now that it's been out for a bit? It's pretty cool, but to be honest, in my opinion, Beecore had this certain...thing about it that made it seem funner to play. I dunno, maybe it was the humorous/awesome connection of not being able to use anything with a 'b' in the name. Nevertheless, going around as a moxie class completely ignoring my Moxie stat, pumping +ML like crazy, and just smashing everything with Drunken Baby was pretty damn awesome too. I wonder what the next challenge path will be at this rate...

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 12:57:54 AM »
The best thing about Fistcore is being able to do insane damage by stacking Salamander Kata. That's...about it. The meat reduction forces a change in playstyle that I don't think I could stick with.

Gonna spend a while going for the
Spoiler:
one million meat donation trophy
, then finish up the run, perm the one permable skill, and go back to regular HC until the next challenge, I think.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 09:29:56 AM »
If you want the
Spoiler:
million meat donation
, the easiest way is probably to
Spoiler:
just make a shitload of dense meat stacks out-of-run - like, 1000000 meat of 'em; then play softcore and go long enough that you leave Ronin.  Then pull and donate 'em all, bam.
  Or that's how I'd do it.

Also I'm really fond of Fistcore.  Being able to play with minimal MP management thanks to Salamandernity and 0-MP Combat Skills is kind of awesome.  Honestly if it wasn't for the meat restriction it would be even more badass.

...I'm nowhere near 4-day in speed though. D:

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2011, 12:51:43 AM »
Oh, by the way, do you guys have any tips about meat farming? Because I spent today in the Castle farming for the new tome (I'll need maybe 250k meat a day), and I disappointingly only got ~190k (~685MPA). A bit of it is because I can't equip some things because of the stat requirements, but I remember having higher MPAs, so I feel like I'm missing something. Are there any better zones to farm nowadays or do I just have low +meat/+item? (got about +300% and +70% respectively 'cause I'm using a Hobo Monkey)

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2011, 03:12:56 AM »
For Giant's Castle, pump Noncombat and meat drops. Middle Chamber is generally better though. There you pump items as much as you can. Some things get sold in the mall, others auto sold.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2011, 10:27:20 AM »
God damnit me, this is the second time in a row I have ascended without purchasing something to perm.

Mind you last time it wasn't so bad; I wanted to perm Master of the Surprising Fist anyway; but this time... lolnoep.  I was gonna walk out with Overdevelopped Sense of Self-Preservation and Smooth Movements... but nope.

Oh well.  One more Disco Bandit Fisting run and then whatever I pick to Fistcore next I will be able to HP three different skills from.  Heck yeah 8D

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
>Walk into Naughty Sorceress fight without the
Spoiler:
Wand of Nagamar
"Well, shit, I'm screwed. Can't run away? Damn."
>Get schooled. Go to hot tub, start putting pieces of
Spoiler:
Wand of Nagamar
together.
>Go into Sorceress fight again.
>Realize that you put the wrong letters together
"... WHAT"
>Heal up again. Put right letters together this time.
>Go into Sorceress fight. Lose again
>Realize that you didn't put
Spoiler:
WA
and
Spoiler:
ND
together
"weiothqw4opi[4i5607"

I make this much more complicated than it actually should be.

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011, 07:52:30 PM »
>Realize that you put the wrong letters together

Well, if you accidentally made
Spoiler:
a wang
, at least you can use that for... I think mostly just removing the sword behind effect on chat, some other little stuff. :V

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2011, 07:59:40 PM »
Spoiler:
a wang
, at least you can use that for... I think mostly just removing the sword behind effect on chat, some other little stuff. :V
Yeah, it's a basic spellchecker too. :getdown:

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2011, 11:23:57 PM »
Spoiler:
a wang
Yeah, it corrects all your spelling. That's what happens when I'm not paying enough attention to realize I've hit the wrong automatic combo from the discoveries page. :]

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »
At least it isn't worse than doing a second Star Starfish on HC! That was hella fun. NOT

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 12:31:34 PM »
At least it isn't worse than doing a second Star Starfish on HC! That was hella fun. NOT
My favourite personally is fighting the NS only to realise after I've gotten my ass kicked that I forgot something important.

Like, y'know, half the letters in the wand.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 10:55:43 PM »
So, Fistcore makes Hamster, Whacking Stick, and Overcoat runs possible for us in Hobopolis. I'll need to find a guide but I think we can do this if we know what we're doing. We have to manage a single day run under a certain turncount. I'd like to help organize these. If anyone with neat Google tech skills could make me a spreadsheet, I'd like to get a list of who has Hobo Code Binders, the number of codes, who has Hobo Instruments, who has Bonus Hobo Damage, and overall who wants to be part of these single day teams and what times they can get on.

I also suggest people interested get to 20 codes ASAP. There will be a couple softer runs so you can collect the other stuff.

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 11:28:32 PM »
If anyone with neat Google tech skills could make me a spreadsheet, I'd like to get a list of who has Hobo Code Binders, the number of codes, who has Hobo Instruments, who has Bonus Hobo Damage, and overall who wants to be part of these single day teams and what times they can get on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At5t2WmOainldEhsOTVpYTg0TU5wbHRHaERpQmM5M2c&hl=en_US

I forgot to put a thing for availability, but that maybe we might wanna organize on a run-by-run basis anyway.

(P.S. I also added conditional formatting and Slime Tube stuff to the clan dungeon loot distro sheet while I was poking at Google Docs stuff.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:02:20 AM by Arashi Kurobara »

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 11:31:07 PM »
While going for the fistcore "1 million meat donated" trophy:
[18:30:14] <Chaore> rdj: oh uh
[18:30:17] <Chaore> you do know that
[18:30:18] <Chaore> uhm
[18:30:33] <Chaore> adventure meat and items that give meat don't count, only autosell, yes?
[18:30:48] <rdj522> .............................................

Excuse me while I run the middle chamber into the ground for this, and then go do a Hobopolis run as penance.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 01:14:51 AM »
Time to get the last hobo code. Little Canadia, I'm coming for you. >:<

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 01:28:18 AM »
Time to get the last hobo code. Little Canadia, I'm coming for you. >:<

Heh, you have got plenty of time, though, we've still got a lot of preparations to do~

Just means whoever's our Hodg-killer will have to do a Fist run even when it's not the seasonal challenge anymore, build up some Salamaderenity. :3

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 01:29:35 AM »
Oh, if someone can calculate the number of rounds of Salamanderity are required to kill Superpowered Hodgeman, I'd appreciate it. I expect around 100,000.

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »
The Wolfram Alpha calculator spits out ~14,393,400 damage at the top range to do exactly 25,000 modified damage, which is exactly what Hodgman's HP is. At 5 damage per turn of Salamanderenity, that's...2,878,680 turns = ~87,232 casts = ~436,165 MP. D:

Post-Frosty is much more reasonable, with ~195,601 damage needed = ~39,121 turns = ~1,186 casts = ~5,930 MP, but post-Frosty wouldn't be feasible for a hamster run...

Something tells me that less-MP-to-use-skills enchants would really help, though!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:51:42 PM by Flanrdj Scarlet »

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 05:14:31 PM »
Tricky but doable. Means the optimal class for this would be Turtle tamer. I'm sure that Purvis would have advice for genning that much MP. So far my plan consists of a pure Dr. Lucifer Diet for charging the laser, and as you say, less MP to use skills things.