Author Topic: Quest to expland video game knowledge  (Read 5749 times)

Quest to expland video game knowledge
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »
Hi,

I'm sorta kinda a gamer but I've noticed that compared to everyone else I've haven't played a whole lot of games. And I usually discover a game that I would just love to play. I discovered 2 today in the awesome RPG thread. So yeah, feel free to throw in any really good game that you think I haven't played that isn't really popular or never-ever did get popular. I'd especially appreciate PC games that require very little specs since I have a very rundown laptop and no alternative(save me please....).

To get the ball running.. Does anyone know/own Agarest War? It got my curiosity.... I look nice though.

BTW, this is my first ever thread here. ;D

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
Re: Quest to expland video game knowledge
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
I looked at the page, immediately saw the words 'Playstation 3' and knew I was never going to get this, or at least not before Disgaea 3 (I do not have a PS3). ((EDIT: I -do- have a PS2, I need to sleep more often . . . my bad~!))

That said, you've actually opened the floor for me to mention a game that I am an absolute fan of, but that never really got the press it should.

Ever hear of Psygnosis? If you've played Lemmings, you should (they made, at the very least, the PSX version). If not, just know that they used to be an extremely epic game company that was pretty much torn apart, its members scattered everywhere (if there is an epic game, chances are there might be a former Psygnosis employee involved in it SOMEWHERE).

They produced a simple but highly-addictive puzzle game by the name of Roll-Away (known in Japan as Kula Quest, from what I've seen on Youtube).

The premise is simple: roll a beach ball along a 3D structure of blocks suspended high in the air. Gravity is selective and depends on what faces the ball is rolling on. The goal: collect keys to enable an Exit panel, then go onto the Exit panel to go to the next level.

Of course, as the game goes on it becomes increasingly difficult to do so -- it wouldn't be a puzzle game without the 'puzzle'. Your ball can roll off an edge and go onto the next face without a hitch (however, it has to be a dead-end for that to be doable -- as one will learn in the ice world, if there is so much as a space to your right or left, you are going to find yourself off a cliff and into the abyss).

Heres some sample gameplay; fairly lucky of me to find it. Few people I've met have even HEARD of it, let alone played it.

That said, some of the more interesting/amusing points of the game are actually touched upon there -- Capture Shapes, Lethargy Pills (the pills that trip you out), spikes (even if the ones shown are of the retractible variety), heated panels, and so forth. Fruit, by the way, will unlock an ultra-trippy Bonus Stage when all 5 are collected . . . as you'll notice at about 4:42.

It really is a very enjoyable game. I'm glad I own it, and I'm glad I know of it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:06:21 AM by M. Burusu »
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »
Oh it's nice~! I seem to say that a lot when I see new games from here. Is it just me or is the game really that precise in movement... you mentioned an ice section so probably not. PlayStation one huh... that gonna be hard to find. I'll try to find it... somehow. Thanks, that's a really interesting game.

And yes, I have played Lemmings. And I did wonder what happened to it. It was such a great puzzle game... I miss it. I have seen a couple of clone of it though...

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »
Oh it's nice~! I seem to say that a lot when I see new games from here. Is it just me or is the game really that precise in movement... you mentioned an ice section so probably not. PlayStation one huh... that gonna be hard to find. I'll try to find it... somehow. Thanks, that's a really interesting game.

There's actually only 3 motions for the ball -- roll, turn, and jump (which jumps over one whole block/tile/whatever, unless otherwise assisted [which there are certain buttons and pills which will do so]).

The real problem in the ice section is that you ought to look before you roll.

However, the game is quite lenient on how much punishment you can take before it's game over -- instead of having lives, you lose points from your total score equal to what you would have won at the point you'd died. If your score drops to 0 or lower as a result of this, you get a game over . . . but until that last point dies out you still have a chance.

Granted, your ball can die of a lot of things (falling/jumping off, being popped, getting captured by Capture Shapes, time runs out, melting, getting laser'd . . . the list goes on and on as the game progresses) . . . but it's still a nice change of pace.

Herasy

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:49:08 PM »
I looked at the page, immediately saw the words 'Playstation 3' and knew I was never going to get this, or at least not before Disgaea 3 (I do not have a PS2).

This. I hate not owning a PS3 as there are quite a few games I would love to play that are exclusively on it. Such as InFamous, Demon's Souls and a whole bunch of other games I can't name at the moment.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:01 AM »
I looked at the page, immediately saw the words 'Playstation 3' and knew I was never going to get this, or at least not before Disgaea 3 (I do not have a PS2).

This. I hate not owning a PS3 as there are quite a few games I would love to play that are exclusively on it. Such as InFamous, Demon's Souls and a whole bunch of other games I can't name at the moment.
Oh I know the feeling, but I'm pretty used to always being behind the gaming industry. And it always happens when a PS is out... You can always catch up later but it'll be harder to find games... especially the good ones. Probably why I have this thread...

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:07:24 AM »
Gargle. I goofed. As I have edited in my post above, I -DO- have a PS2. I -meant- to say I lack a PS3.

That said, I feel mildly foolish about that misunderstanding.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 11:43:26 PM »
Heres some sample gameplay; fairly lucky of me to find it. Few people I've met have even HEARD of it, let alone played it.
I actually played some clones of this game online. I had no idea the guys behind Lemmings made it, though!

Actually, now that I'm doing a bit more research . . . I'm not sure Psygnosis made it, but they were definitely involved in the English version (hence their logo appearing every time the game boots up). However, it's still a nice game.

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:18:55 PM »
agarest senki is apparently decent and is getting a european release for some fucking unknown reason

i might import it when it comes out there just because i lack rpgs to play