Author Topic: 10 years of waiting...it's finally here. FFXV: FFS Square Enix, a 9.4GB Patch.  (Read 7598 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
I finally got my hands on the last stock of the FFXV Luna Edition PS4. Luckily, they took reservations through phone, since I can't go out till evening.

Looks simpler than I expected.

They were also selling copies of Ultimate Edition and Deluxe Editions. I could've gotten either. But they sold out fast by the time I called(which was 30 mins after I saw them put up their sale posts online.)

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

MatsuriSakuragi

I have heard it's nothing but 40 hours of disappointment and product placement. That's fucking hilarious to me.

I plan on streaming it.

I have heard it's nothing but 40 hours of disappointment and product placement. That's fucking hilarious to me.
You have to give respect to a game that does product placement for, of all things, Coleman camping gear.

MatsuriSakuragi

I'm going to have the strongest craving for Nissin brand Cup Noodle (TM)!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Wait, it finally dropped, and this is how I'm hearing about it? What a wet fart.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
I looked at the reviews and they... aren't promising.  They all have very high scores, but the text reads like reviews for 6/10 games that aren't named Final Fantasy.  Also hearing wildly different opinions on the combat.

Guess I'll have to wait for more word of mouth stuff before I see if I'm willing to take the gamble.

Currently I'm playing through Witcher 3, so it may not be for another week or two before I get around to playing the game. I may end up streaming it for you guys, who knows. Could be a fun thing to do for a week during winter break.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
all i have to say about ff15:

bethesda coding

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Hahahaha holy shit

Okay, so I've been playing a bit of FFXV (by which I mean I've put thirty hours and watched Kingsglaive, as well as three of the anime episodes). So far... I actually really like it. I think the strongest point of the game is the character interaction, especially between the party members: Final Fantasy kind of started the trope of "random party members join forces to save the world" which made party interaction weird at times, but the history and chemistry Noctis and his cohort has is fantastic, and they are all just absolute dorks. There are flaws with the game, obviously, and I wouldn't rate it as game of the year, but this Final Fantasy is honestly one of the ones I've enjoyed the most while playing.

EDIT: Also one of the strongest points: riding chocobos. This easily has the best feeling mounted riding I've ever felt in a game. It's so damn fun riding chocobos.

MatsuriSakuragi

I wish I could enjoy it as much as other people are, but I just can't. At all. Everything about it to me feels so hollow and I just cannot get into it at all. I did hear they're planning updates to fix some of the things that it's being criticized for, so I'll wait until then to play more.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:24:37 PM by Matsuri »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Unfortunately from what I've seen, half the gameplay is driving (effectively a pretty loading screen) (unless you don't do many sidequests... which means being underleveled), and it has an incredibly shallow battle system- that also barely gets any different between the start and end of the game :/

The game is very pretty. Like, it's totally gorgeous. But the actual gameplay is... well, it's very pretty, and that's about all there is to say?
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
I beat FF15 a couple days ago.

The graphics are nice and the battle system is pretty good.  I enjoyed the first few chapters.  I spent a lot of time on the first few areas, cruising around and doing sidequests.

Then I started playing the story missions.

Holy shit this game is awful.

Calling the game frontloaded is an understatement.  It's clear the story was unfinished; there are massive unexplained plotholes that are left unclear even to those who've watched the movie and anime.  The story missions rapidly become more linear than FF13, and then they try to turn the whole game into survival horror and completely fail.  Chapter 13 is one of the least enjoyable gaming experiences I may have ever had.

I'm tremendously disappointed.  This is the most underwhelmed I've been with a JRPG I've been excited for since Wild Arms 4.

PX

• School Idol?
I've been having fun with what I've played so far. Just reached Chapter 6 after about 25 hours or so so we'll see how it is later

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
This is the most underwhelmed I've been with a JRPG I've been excited for since Wild Arms 4.

Fucking vicious, son.

Edible

Fucking vicious, son.

I don't wield my disappointment with WA4 lightly, but I felt it was justified in this case.

FF15 needed at least another year in the oven.

MatsuriSakuragi

I mean it was already more than ten years, what's another year to actually produce a competent game?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
I guess they're hoping to hit gold by porting the engine over to the FF7 remake.

Edible

Tabata is hopefully not going to be anywhere near FF7:R so maybe it won't be complete gutter trash.

MatsuriSakuragi

I don't expect the FF7 remake to be anything beyond mediocre since the hype engine is going to be way more intense than the quality that will be produced. FF7 isn't a game that has aged very well IMO, and I don't think polishing it up is going to take it to any level beyond "the same, but revamped to 201X quality".

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Given they've clearly forgotten what made FF7 and its characters good, I think mediocre may a high bar to reach for there.

Given they've clearly forgotten what made FF7 and its characters good, I think mediocre may a high bar to reach for there.
Hm... What made FF7 and its characters good? I do remember the game and the characters distinctly, and can recall the main protagonists, antagonists, and a good number of the supporting characters without difficulty, so that's a sign of its lasting impression, but at the same time that's also due to the sheer amount of exposure I've had to the game since I first played it.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
Hm... What made FF7 and its characters good? I do remember the game and the characters distinctly, and can recall the main protagonists, antagonists, and a good number of the supporting characters without difficulty, so that's a sign of its lasting impression, but at the same time that's also due to the sheer amount of exposure I've had to the game since I first played it.
Some of it was it was new and different at the time (for western audiences).  A lot of it was they had a number of unique character archetypes, each doing their own thing.  Most of the game isn't Cloud's story.  Cloud is just present for other people's stories which may or may not be connected to the overarching plot.  With enough people around having different stories and interacting the chances of you liking SOME of the cast skyrocketed.  Think that's one of the things that worked well with 6 as well.  You knew enough of the plot to feel involved, and played on to watch your favorite three characters punch the villains in the face.

Later games worked well with the cast of characters, but things tended to lock into the main plot, which I think is why people get more polarized as the series continues.  And now the plots are huge epileptic tree messes, and everything is chained to it.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
As well, it's pretty arguable (I'd say factual, but them opinions~) that Square in general has lost their way. In particular, you look at the shift from just FFVII to Advent Children, and you see the characterizations and motivations change pretty drastically. And the post AC characterizations are the ones that have gone on to be the accepted ones in further spin-offs and cameos and such.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
As well, it's pretty arguable (I'd say factual, but them opinions~) that Square in general has lost their way. In particular, you look at the shift from just FFVII to Advent Children, and you see the characterizations and motivations change pretty drastically. And the post AC characterizations are the ones that have gone on to be the accepted ones in further spin-offs and cameos and such.

it's pretty fucking clear at this point square cares more about their mobile games than their pc/console games

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Hm... What made FF7 and its characters good?

If nothing else, the aesthetic of FF7 is my favorite in the series.  The soundtrack is a fantastic match for the game itself, and spending the 4-6 or whatever hours in Midgar and then to walk out and BAM ITS THE OVERWORLD OHSNAPS!  Grass!  Ocean!  Gorgeous music!  The world building was absolutely on point for FF7. 

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Really, FF7 had a ton of stuff going for it and it was really well rounded at the time of release. You can flip a coin as to what aged well and how much, but when the game came out it was solid in just about every aspect of the game.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

I'm just disappointed that FFVII-Remake was confirmed to be an Action RPG and not what FFVII originally was, a Turn Based game.