Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015  (Read 33321 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
Remember how Los Angeles got burned to a crisp in the backstory (forestory?) of the Terminator films?

I'm starting to think now that that would have been an improvement.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:39:28 PM »
I hate to sound like a hipster purist, but LucasFilms in general and the Star Wars franchise in particular more or less became Disney from the moment Jar Jar Binks first opened his mouth. And by that I don't just mean the cartoon racism. It's a commercial franchise built on merchandising. Disney and LucasFilms having themselves a $4 billion make-out session was just a matter of time.

EDIT: You may need this before watching ep 7.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:42:03 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JT

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »
You're preaching to the Star Wars Hipster choir here. There were so many things fundamentally wrong with the prequels. Between the glaring inconsistencies, the soulless characters, the boring, shitty cinematography, the dialogue that sounds like it was written by a 10-year-old... Jar Jar is just the tiniest tip of the iceberg.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 08:59:15 PM »
This doesn't come to any surprise, I must say.

Though I wonder if Disney Interactive will make use of the LucasArts games portfolio? :V
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
Though I wonder if Disney Interactive will make use of the LucasArts games portfolio? :V

Gotta be at least SOMETHING of a step up from Bioware's schizophrenic handling of the line.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 09:21:24 PM »
Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015

This looks so much like an Onion headline it's depressing.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
This blew me out my door. Feelings of ambivalence cannot be any more powerful.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Tengukami

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »
Wait, I forgot the money quote:
Quote from: George "Why Can't I Hold All This Money?" Lucas
"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers."
And what says "passing it on to a new generation" like selling your entire body of work to the oldest and most creatively conservative studio in the world?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »
Meh, I'm sick and tired of Star Wars fanboys bitching and moaning about every little fucking thing ever ever since I exist.

I hate this piece of news, hate that the corporation that made a movie about battleship the paper game now got their hands on a marvelous franchise(both trilogies, fuck you hipsters), but what sucks harder is knowing that for the next year I'll to listen to people talk about this for the next year. Or decade. Also this
This looks so much like an Onion headline it's depressing.

e: I was wrong, wasn't Disney that made battleship. Still.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:16:10 PM by HakureiSM »
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 10:06:07 PM »
How would an Episode 7 even work? The story ended.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »
darth vader confirmed for kingdom hearts 3

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »
expaaaaaaaanded uuuuuuuuuniveeeeeerse

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:57:43 PM »
I for one think this is actually a good thing. >.> I mean, if anyone can help recapture the spirit of the original trilogy that was lost in the prequels, Disney are probably most likely to be it.  Does anyone remember how people got upset when Marvel got bought out by Disney?  Yeah, that went really badly, didn't it? >.>
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 11:10:21 PM »

George Lucas always intended to make 7,8,9, which are basically what is currently labeled as the 'Expended Universe' right now, from the start. It's stuff like rebuilding the Jedi Order, and of course MORE EVIL which I won't go into because spoilers.

He decided after III to not make 7,8,9, because he was afraid he'd die before they were finished. I heard anyway that was his reason.

Also am I the only one that doesn't hate 1,2,3? Honestly I think half the thing about 1,2,3 is the fact that you already had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen because of 4,5,6. You know, it's like reading a book backwards, the start ain't gonna be that good when you know how it ends.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:11:55 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

theshirn

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 11:46:17 PM »
Also am I the only one that doesn't hate 1,2,3? Honestly I think half the thing about 1,2,3 is the fact that you already had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen because of 4,5,6. You know, it's like reading a book backwards, the start ain't gonna be that good when you know how it ends.
As with most of the people who disliked 1,2,3...it wasn't the fact that they were prequels.  It was the fact that the writing, acting, characters, plot twists, and pretty much everything that wasn't special effects (and even those get a black mark because of Jar Jar) were all absolutely insipid trash, and that people who had celebrated the massive opening of our collective minds that Star Wars gave us were utterly repulsed by the sharp drop in quality.  Some of that may have been unrealistic expectations not being met, but nonetheless, it's a matter of quality that makes a lot of people hissy.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »

I can't wait for the rides.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:10:32 AM by Dlanor A. Knox »

Tengukami

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 11:55:47 PM »

There might be something to that, as that gives a higher set of expectations to meet. But I think it would be too easy to dismiss the subsequent fallout as whiny fanboyism. The prequels were in Lucas' control, and instead of even attempting to work up a good pre-story, it relied heavily on special effects over story quality - much like Disney did with Marvel, so maybe this is the perfect wedding.

NB: I'm not so much of a fanboy that I will literally argue about the prequels. I'm happy people can get enjoyment out of them.

(In fairness, I find superhero stuff incredibly boring, with the exception of Iron Man, which owned.

Also, I saw the original Star Wars movie at the muthafuckin' drive-in, bitches.

OK, I was six and all I remember was the Sandman suddenly leaping up in front of Luke's space-age binoculars, and Han Solo's "YEE-HAWWW!" at the end.)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:09:35 AM by Tengukami »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 12:08:38 AM »
God damn I thought the Episode 7 thing was a joke until I clicked through to the article to read it.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 01:06:07 AM »
I was pretty disappointed  to hear it too. I have no idea how Expanded Universe works so how the story can go on from "They blew up the second Death Star and saved the galaxy" is a complete mystery to me.

I'm guessing it will involve more Death Stars somehow.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

JT

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
Honestly I think half the thing about 1,2,3 is the fact that you already had a pretty good idea what was gonna happen because of 4,5,6. You know, it's like reading a book backwards, the start ain't gonna be that good when you know how it ends.
No, the problems go way, way deeper than that. I'm going to try not to sperg out and write a giant wall of text explaining everything the prequels got wrong, but just trust me: I know what I'm talking about, and nobody here is gonna be able to change my mind about it.

I can see why you (people in general, not you specifically) would like the prequels if the only thing you care about is the flashy action sequences and special effects, Everything else about them is terrible, and it especially bothers me because the original trilogy had actual depth to it and wasn't about brainless spectacle. The action that did happen wasn't just action, it was about the characters, and the characters actually behaved like real people who the audience could sympathize with. That's part of why the original Star Wars is considered a classic of cinema rather than just another old movie. Seriously, just compare, let's say, Han Solo to the characters from the prequels.

Can you name a single personality trait of Qui-Gon Jinn? What was his role in the story? What about Darth Maul? Who the fuck was that guy? Why did he exist other than to give Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon someone to have a flashy, overly-choreographed fight sequence with? Why should we give a fuck about the "romance" between Anakin and Amidala? Anakin is a whiny shit, Amidala literally does not have a personality, and all the dialogue between them sounds like it was written by a space alien awkwardly trying to grasp the concept of hyoo-man love. Also, I know everyone harps on this, but seriously, fuck midichlorians. What in the hell is the point of this concept? They bring it up in the first movie, it has zero relevance or importance to the story, and it's literally never mentioned again. All it serves to do is give a big middle finger to the audience by taking the mysticism out of the Force.

Again, I'm trying my best to keep it short and not lose my spaghetti. I could go on and on about this. Just be aware that 30 years from now, nobody's going to remember the prequels except for angry nerds like me. They have neither the spirit nor the quality of the originals. They're not even good movies. But sure, just give Yoda a light saber and shove in Samuel L. Jackson and a bunch of computerized explosions and shit, because all that matters is money.

You just don't get it, maaaaan. Oops, dropped my fedora.

Edit: Seriously, get a load of this shit:

ANAKIN: You are so beautiful!

PADME: It's only because I'm so in love . . .

ANAKIN: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.

PADME: So love has blinded you?

ANAKIN: Well, that's not exactly what I meant . . .

PADME: But it's probably true!

They laugh.

rrghrhgsfgsh
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:21:53 AM by Jay T. Dawgsstyles »

theshirn

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 01:09:38 AM »
I'm just gonna leave this here

(while it is filled with a lot of stupidity and random crap, it also makes some superbly salient points, much the same that JT has made, and is frequently hilarious to boot)

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 01:17:47 AM »
Hrm.

You have one shot with me, Disney.

Don't let me down. :|

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 01:23:50 AM »
Disney literally cannot hurt the series worse than Lucas has in the past 13 years.

This is neutral news at worst.

Now, if it's at best, they turn everything over to Timothy Zahn, and Part 7 is all about Thrawn.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 01:43:28 AM »
Better yet, just adapt the Thrawn trilogy as the new trilogy?  Always thought it was supposed to be a sort of unofficial sequel trilogy, after all...
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 01:44:12 AM »
expaaaaaaaanded uuuuuuuuuniveeeeeerse
KyleKatarnKyleKatarnKyleKatarnKyleKatarnKyleKatarnKyleKatarn

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 01:50:01 AM »

Beard beard beard. Beard beard beard beard beard. Beard? Beard!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 01:54:09 AM »
Better yet, just adapt the Thrawn trilogy as the new trilogy?  Always thought it was supposed to be a sort of unofficial sequel trilogy, after all...

Precisely.

Is this Starkillah?

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:09 AM »
Episode 7 will be about Kyle Katarn's childhood.

Episodes 8 and 9 will be about the rise of his beard from mere stubble to the most powerful living being in the Star Wars universe.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 04:26:28 AM »
Not sure if this is "You have got to be kidding me. D:" or "You have got to be kidding me. :D".