Author Topic: Touhou RAGE Thread  (Read 195744 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Touhou RAGE Thread
« Reply #870 on: July 31, 2009, 08:39:11 AM »
I believe the fairies start at 22 seconds. I started it at 20 seconds the attempt I finally pulled it off, but the only difference it would have made is that I would have had to stream a bit slower on the first wave, plus I was really tired of attempting this, SO I COUNT IT.

The luck factor IS the aimed bullets. The plan is to switch directions and slowly move through the large bullets. If you end up switching directions just as a bullet is fired (as in the exact millisecond), it will block your path and you will be screwed. So the reason why I say it's not humanly possible is that the bullets are fired so fast it's virtually impossible to time it this way, much less time it five times in quick succession.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #871 on: July 31, 2009, 05:06:30 PM »
Does anyone ever feel like you're getting worse even though you play everyday?

I'm feeling like that right now..

About two weeks ago I got to Kanako's second to last spell in MoF Hard, and I never acomplished that again... I can't get past stage 5 anymore.
About a week ago I finished PCB Normal, so I've been trying to finish IN Normal since then... I used to get to Kaguya pretty constantly, even though I never had enough lives to beat her, i still managed to get pretty far..

These days I can hardly reach stage 6... usually end up dying to stage's 5 boss...

I mean.. wtf =(

Maybe I should stop playing for a bit.. Or maybe after getting to know the games a bit more, I changed my play style/strategy and it's just too risky to finish a game if i'm not good enough...

/rant
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #872 on: July 31, 2009, 07:57:51 PM »
Ahem...

WHAT THE FUCK WAS ZUN THINKING WHEN HE DESIGNED MARISA A PATCHOULI?! To beat this no deaths, I need to get through the stage only bombing on the books, and capture 2 of her spell cards. Two. Not once have I managed to pull this off. It doesn't help that with the exception of Forest Blaze every one of these are UNBRIDLED BULLSHIT. Now excuse me while I bang my head on the keyboard 5 times.

tgvghbghbcvvc

...Seriously. Marisa A Patchouli is harder than Remilia. I have just decided this. Remilia I have perfected up until Scarlet Meister. This Patchy I have captured most of her spell cards in the realm of once or twice (ironically I've captured Emerald Megalith the most out of her 4 BS spell cards).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:01:29 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #873 on: August 01, 2009, 05:55:31 AM »
dkafljdslkfjasdlkfjeijaskdlfRAN
RAN RAN RAN RAN RAN RAN RAN
RAN AND HER STUPID FUCKING BANQUET OF 12 GENERAL GODS
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DODGE THIS EVEN IF YOU BREAK A BORDER
"CALM RIGHT CORNER" MY ASS.

Bullshit of 12 General Gods has ruined many, many no-death PCB Extra runs. ;-;

Also, I feel kind of silly for asking, but what does "clipdeath" mean?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:57:15 AM by Serafie »

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #874 on: August 01, 2009, 01:02:03 PM »
According to Donut, SoEW's lunatic isn't all that much harder than hard mode, so if you're going to put yourself through it, you might as well go all the way and do lunatic mode.
Well, the difference is that it's exactly the same patterns, but killing enemies spawns some (2 I think) bullets aimed at you, and bosses... well, they are exactly the same.  :V

Mmm, that's a good point... but then on the other hand, if I can't beat Hard I definitely can't beat Lunatic. I think it'd be easier to learn the stages on Hard first and then make the transition to Lunatic without much of a jump.
Let's fight.

Drake

« Reply #875 on: August 01, 2009, 03:31:58 PM »

Not calm right corner, calm-er right corner. Just try dodging to the left instead.

Clipdeath just means when you dodge something that you know you can, yet your hitbox gets clipped pixel-perfectly by the bullet. Kind of. Like when you're playing and you randomly die and you're like "Oh come on what the hell was that."

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #876 on: August 01, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
Fuck Hell's Artificial Sun. three times straight, it was the end of my normal 1cc.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #877 on: August 02, 2009, 12:11:40 AM »
Fuck Hell's Artificial Sun. three times straight, it was the end of my normal 1cc.

=_= I know the feeling, that happened to me a few times when I was going for my normal 1cc. It's very much a matter of keeping calm and anticipating the red bullets that get sucked towards the centre. The pattern they appear in never changes, so you can position yourself fairly near the bottom of the screen and mostly concentrate on the bullets coming from the sun.

It's not such a difficult card so long as you don't panic; nerves can screw you over pretty badly with this since you have to focus on three things at once. Consciously staying calm brought me from a three death epic fail one run to a capture the very next run, so yeah.
Let's fight.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #878 on: August 02, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »
My replays are starting to look more and more Tool-Assisted I think. When I'm watching through them again to check if they haven't desync'd; I'm seeing all these freaky dodges which I don't normally do.

It took 400+ attempts to get Perfect PCB Lunatic S3. Perfect Alice battles were easy enough though.

And now the main thing...

I can't do "Crossroads" MoF S4, SC1. I either clip myself on a bullet because I think it won't hit me, or I get a wall of really slow bullets, and suddenly a fast bullet comes and hits me square on. It's happened to me 10 times in a row already, and it doesn't look like it'll be stopping any time soon.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm centered and a fair bit up the screen. I move down if I can't see an opening, and try to get back up the screen if I do see an opening and go through it (where possible).

EDIT:
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4166
Why do I break borders intentionally? Also, dying with bombs in stock again... even though I'm using Reimu.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 01:14:06 PM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Yukkuri

« Reply #879 on: August 03, 2009, 04:01:53 AM »

The butterflies are aimed.  Run into the right corner and tap-dodge everything.

For my rage moment of the day, EOSD stage 6.  Why is the boss fight so hard?  I can only capture the 1st and 3rd cards. T_T
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:04:38 AM by Yukkuri »

« Reply #880 on: August 03, 2009, 05:59:12 AM »
I was playing PoFV Extra yesterday trying to score attack it with Sikieiki, mostly by trying to goad the CPU into sending over a crapload of small bullets and boss attacks that I can counter back for score. I pulled off a 80.5 million score, only to have the game crash as the screen was fading to white to start the ending. But the bright side was, after another two hours of repeated attempts in an effort to break 80.5M, I pulled off a 98M run.

On a related note, SA's level design just annoys the frak out of me. So many patterns where you have to memorize it and get in position with little to no warning, and so many places where bullets spawn and suddenly jump a quarter of the length of the screen in a tenth of a second - basically instant death if you happen to be within a 100-pixel radius of the fairy/boss firing the bullet and forget it's about to do that. Did ZUN have a few too many to drink when he was working on SA?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:00:50 AM by Poochy »

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #881 on: August 03, 2009, 01:04:37 PM »
I guess that since people complained that his games were too easy he made a much harder game :P
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #882 on: August 03, 2009, 11:00:19 PM »
How sometimes my finger slowly slips off the shift key and I start moving unfocused. At least, I don't remember this causing many deaths, but it's annoying. Sometimes I also let go off the shift instead of the Z key, or vice-versa.

How I tried bombing in IN and it didn't activate. I pressed again, harder, and it still didn't activate. I then made a very lucky dodge, and pressed X again to see if I still had bombs, and I had at least 2 (it was not wasted, I was still walled). IN gives me much more bombing problems than any other game.

Sanae's first spellcard (SA). Completely impossible to dodge on your first few tries, and you're lucky if you manage to get 2 bombs. Which don't even end the spellcard. I shouldn't have to reach the spellcard a dozen times just to find where the lasers end up.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

« Reply #883 on: August 03, 2009, 11:49:13 PM »
VoWG attempt #102: Failed.

DAMMIT.
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD.
JUST LET ME WIN.
YOU.
STUPID.
*bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #884 on: August 04, 2009, 09:48:45 AM »

A run of Phantasm with 12/13 captured cards.  The failed card?  Shikigami Ran.  That card alone accounts for two deaths and the one bomb in the entire run (the only other death was in noncard 2).

That card is far too easy to warrant three misses.  I need sleep.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #885 on: August 04, 2009, 12:48:36 PM »
I didn't die at all during most of MoF Extra. Then I lost three lives and used two bombs on the rainbow jellybeans. :(

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #886 on: August 04, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
I just got a game over on Kaguya's last card... 5 more seconds and i would have beaten IN Normal...

I've never been this pissed off with a Touhou game in my life.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4182

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:48:57 PM by lmagus »
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #887 on: August 04, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
Some tips for you in general :

- You move too much. If there's a gap right next to you, don't try going in a gap further away, even if it's bigger. Don't press left, then right just after that when trying to fit in a gap. You'll just collide with the bullet you just avoided.

- Except for some very specific spellcards, NEVER hug the bottom. You should be around the height where Imperishable Night is written. If bullets come from below, go about midway up the screen.

Now for the stages :

Stage 1-2 : I don't think you need help here.

Stage 3 : Don't dodge unfocused (first non-spell). If you really want to go for time, remember you get like 600-800 time for clearing a spellcard or a non-spell.

Stage 4 : Don't die with bombs in stock!!!. Don't be afraid to bomb those fairies, they're kinda hard. Also, if you think you don't have time to collect a bomb item, bomb. You'll collect it and get some frames of invincibility.

Marisa : You move too much on Milky Way. Stay near the center. The bigger stars are easy to dodge horizontally. Focus on the small stars coming from the sides.
When you hear the sound announcing the boss doesn't have much energy left, continue dodging anyway. You died on Master Spark because you thought the spellcard would clear fast enough.

Stage 5 : Pretty nice, so I'll skip to Reisen.
Reisen : Oh boy. You really need to practice here. Just go in spell practice and clear the cards. Here's how I do them :

- First (can't remember the names) : It's easier if you don't go in the center when the bullets disappear, but slightly to the sides. The gaps are bigger.
- Second : Don't go too high or you'll get bullets spawned on you. Otherwise, you just need practice to find where the gaps will be.
- Third one : You must go back up faster. Find the gaps faster or something... Just practice it and you'll get used to it.
- Last one : You can dodge it like on Easy (shotgun Reisen when the bullets disappear). The round bullets seem to be aimed in some way, so they shouldn't spawn on you. Just be careful to not move up into them.

Stage 6 : I'm lazy now so I'll just help you with the streaming cards. When you need to change directions, move fast in one direction, wait a bit for the bullets to aim at you, and tap in the other direction. You should have a big enough gap. Also note that Rainbow Danmaku always aim at you, so if you move around the diamond-shaped bullets will scatter everywhere.

Here's a replay so you can see what the hell I'm talking about
Replay
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #888 on: August 04, 2009, 05:37:53 PM »
Thanks a lot man! I just finished the game :D
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #889 on: August 04, 2009, 09:50:24 PM »

Oh God not this shit again.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #890 on: August 04, 2009, 10:39:50 PM »
Oh, and I also nearly 1CC'd IN Hard on my very very very first try. I died on Kaguya's last normal spellcard D:

Yukkuri

« Reply #891 on: August 05, 2009, 02:37:09 AM »

Oh God not this shit again.
BS of the highest order.  I hate it when stuff like that happens.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #892 on: August 05, 2009, 03:17:58 AM »
what happened at that screenshot?
Watch me on Youtube

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #893 on: August 05, 2009, 03:23:34 AM »
QED goes LOL NO CAPTURE FOR YOU at the last posible moment.
Rage ensues.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #894 on: August 05, 2009, 03:40:49 AM »
Though I might go for another round of Phantasm to capture this and that.

Died to "Boundary of Humans and Youkai" 5 times, causing me to end there (losing a life or two during the earlier parts).
<>

Yukkuri

« Reply #895 on: August 05, 2009, 03:51:19 AM »
He died when Flan Flan died.

« Reply #896 on: August 05, 2009, 04:18:44 AM »
Ugh, I hate it when that happens. It happened to me on my very first Suwako clear. I got to her last spellcard and almost captured it on my first try, but got hit by a stray bullet before all the bullets got canceled out ;-;

« Reply #897 on: August 05, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »
I am really getting sick of my Imperishable Night runs being all about having enough gas to just brute-force the Kaguya fight. I'll practice it and practice it, and I'm okay to go, then in an actual run it all falls apart. This time around I go into the fight with 4 spare lives and 2 bombs, come out with one spare life having failed all of her normal cards and 3 of the last spells.

In fact, to this day, I've never 5/5'd her last spells on *any* difficulty.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #898 on: August 06, 2009, 08:56:49 AM »
Kicked up MS Extra in hopes of perfecting it.

...forgot that Reimu wasn't the best shot type, and died 3 times on the stage, and ended with a Perfect Alice.

Also, I'm now finding Reimu's speeds too slow for me, so I might consider swapping to Marisa.... or Mima. Or Yuka if I ever feel like not trying to score  :V
<>

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #899 on: August 06, 2009, 01:41:50 PM »
blah Reimu ends up being better than Yuka in some ways and Mima ends up being better than Marisa
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.