Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now IV - A New Hope  (Read 220942 times)

Molten

• Just a lil' goblin
  • A sweet potato.
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now IV - A New Hope
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »
I have been playing quite a bit of Awesomenauts with my friends lately and i think this has quickly become one of my favorite games. I also play Blacklight: Retribution every now and then when I'm not playing anything else and It's the only FPS, besides TF2, which I'm actually not completely terrible at.

Also Pokemon Conquest. I finished the main story a while back so i have now started playing through the side stories and there's a lot of them, some of which are harder then others.
Spoiler:
God dammit Masamune, why do you hate me?

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 07:12:26 AM »
While setting up the wireless router on my mom's new computer, I find out that I COULD set it for WEP, which means my DS Lite can connect to the internet again.  I'm now back to playing Pokemon White with renewed vigor.  I really miss how much easier it was to access the menu with the touch screen in HeartGold and having your Pokemon follow you, but aside from that I'm loving the game.  It's fun seeing the animated sprites in battle, and I'm really enjoying the music (I never wanted to leave Accumula Town).
Currently training until I head to the next place after Striaton City.  I remember hearing Audino was a good source of Exp, but holy crap.

Also playing Skullgirls on PS3 because I love this game and everything it stands for, even though I generally suck at fighting games.  I want to complete Arcade and Story with all the characters, but so far I've only gotten Filia and Painwheel done.  I love how I spend so much time in the Training Room and then taking half an hour to beat a single opponent in Story Mode... on Easy.  I'm way too chicken to challenge anyone online because of this.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
DA:O is done!
Spoiler:
I told Morrigan to bugger off when she said that she wanted to get knocked up and have an evil-horror-beyond-all-horrors baby in order to defeat the other evil horror beyond all horrors. Then, I volunteered to sacrifice myself against the Archdemon. By DLC MAGIC, I imported the same character who died gloriously on the battlefield to be the main character of Awakening. My mage is so powerful that she can retcon her own death!

I just beat Rage. It was so remarkably unremarkable that it wasn't until I beat it that I wanted to remark upon its unremarkableness. It's very pretty and there's a good handful of things to do and toys to use and ammo types and guns, etc. The problem is that the entire feel of the gameplay is like Borderlands and Fallout had twins - The FPS side was born with no soul and the RPG side fell down the stairs and cracked its poor little head. There's a lot of stuff there, but it's so cut-and-dry that it lacked the endearing qualities and nuances that other similar games have to make them stand out. Everything works, but bland characters in a post-apocalyptic setting with an evil advanced empire is too vanilla an experience to be truly memorable. At least the destruction derby-esque auto racing and transportation helps keep things from getting painfully dry.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
I'm at Orphan's Cradle now in Final Fantasy XIII and was messing around.  Ever since I got control of my party, it's been Fang, Vanille, and Hope and usually Com, Med, Syn or Com, Med, Rav.  But I decided to go Sab, Sab, Rav for shits and giggles.

Those poor bastards didn't stand a chance.  I really don't like not having a Medic, but with two Saboteurs the issue was moot.  The enemies couldn't do a damn thing after a couple of turns.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »
Holy Saint Moses, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II really is just like Company of Heroes. There's so much about it that feels the same. That being said, it's fantastic to play, even if it's not as refined as CoH. I'm really glad I picked it up now.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 05:29:52 PM by Reddyne »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »
Persona 4 Arena!

It really is really good, but...

...I feel kinda bad when I play Elizabeth.  A lot of my game plan involves using her fuckhuge laser to punish people but I always feel like I'm being too spammy as a result.  I still love using her though, just... yeah.  I feel like I've got a long ways to go in learning how to actually use her, which I mean is good because I'm still open to learning, but... not sure where to start.

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 03:11:13 AM »
Started playing that FFV Ancient Cave.

It's not hard to get to the Liquid Flame fight, but I haven't beaten it yet. Phoenix Tower Liquid Flame that early is ridiculous. I do know how to do it assuming the game doesn't give me bad luck early in the fight with the Iron Claws, but I don't find the stuff needed for a winning setup.

I'm wondering what sort of stuff you actually get for beating that fight.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 04:08:53 AM »
I don't know how, but spinners in Ouendan 2 are both easier and tougher than EBA's.

Also picked up KH Re:coded, so we'll see how that goes.

I'd play Deponia, but for some reason my cursor goes invis when in the game screen. Also, didn't realize Galaxy on Fire 2 HD came out today until just now.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 08:30:03 AM »
Started playing that FFV Ancient Cave.

It's not hard to get to the Liquid Flame fight, but I haven't beaten it yet. Phoenix Tower Liquid Flame that early is ridiculous. I do know how to do it assuming the game doesn't give me bad luck early in the fight with the Iron Claws, but I don't find the stuff needed for a winning setup.

I'm wondering what sort of stuff you actually get for beating that fight.
The good news is that you don't actually have to fight it!  You can just ignore it!

And thank god for that because 90% of runs you don't have a shot in hell to actually pull it off.

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21:56 AM »
Managed to beat it thanks to Silence Spellblade. The AP was nice and I had also gotten a ribbon out of it. Was doing okay until floor 43 or 44, then

random battle with Adamantoise and some weaker turtles.  Okay, that was easy enough. Then

2 Aqua breaths in a row. I definitely hope to beat this thing someday though.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »
Darksiders II - Awesomely awesomeness game of awesome here.  Basically, everything that made the first game good gets tossed into the second game and gets even more awesome stuff added to it (Loot system, levels, skills).  Playing on Apocalyptic difficulty because why not.  Not planning to use health or wrath potions either because I don't really need them (Especially when multiple fails basically brings your health back to roughly 75-80% of your max).

Currently sporting a pretty solid possessed double scythe and a possessed glaive (Ironically, both were given names after Mega Man X mavericks, haha).

As of last night, took out the Deposed King.  Bitchy fight until I realized I can Teleport Slash through his blizzard smash of instant death and kite him during his whirlwind attack.  Took a good 5 minutes to drop the critter, but it worked without me taking any damage (Not like I can get hit by much though).

Right now, in the Eternal Throne looking for someone.  Currently at lv14 and very close to lv15.  Having +24% exp from my gear helps with that.  Need to get a talisman with +crit chance and +exp% so I have a full exp set for quick leveling.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 04:57:33 PM »
Prototype 2.

Well, if you guys saw my last post about Prototype 1 and I gave it a 7, the sequel is literally, a 5.5.

The gameplay is signifcantly better, pretty much every problem that existed in the first game vanished, but they gave us less powers to work with, Tendrils (Which are useless), claws (Still useless after you get the blade), Blade (Not nearly as strong as in the first game, still really strong), whipfist (still as fun as ever) and hammerfist(Which is actually useful now that the blade was thumbed down), you also have your shields (Which, unlike the first game, are useful), but no armor, no vision types and not nearly as many upgrades.

They changed the EP system, instead of it being the usual "get EP, buy upgrades" thing, it's now "Get EP, LEVEL UP, get levels in stuff." Which really just destroyed half of the gameplay, plus you're forced to do EVERY. SINGLE. SIDEQUEST. and you'd need a freaking internet map to find all of these "sidequests" (AKA collectibles) to be able to use heller to hs full potential, as you now have to get the game's equivalents of perks.

Also, I don't live in the US, but apparently Manhattan is now divided in three islands, funny since it wasn't like that AT ALL in the first game. >_>

Though you being able to quadra glide and triple dash is a welcome change from the first game, and generally speaking I stil lswear you couldn't jump that high in the first game... You pretty much only have two devastators, a nameless "devastator" which looks just like Tendril barrage, just much less awesome, and another called Brawler Pack, which summons underlings, which aren't even useful unless you make it a 5v1 situation, which just doesn't happen.

Aside from
Spoiler:
the final boss, Alex Mercer
there are no bosses in the game, just the Goaliaths which are actually more annoying than genuinely dangerous, you get to fight three of them, THREE, and the only one that makes your heart pound is the first one, because not only is the atmosphere really awesome (You and the millitary banding together to fight one giant monster and stop it from destroying a tank, which is pretty much on a timer? AWESOME.) problem is, after that it just gets repetitive, first game had gargantuan and awesome battles like
Spoiler:
The General, The Supreme Hunters and Greene
but the only thing remotely close to awesome in boss battles in this game is the first Goliath fight,
Spoiler:
the Mercer fight sucked

Finally, Heller is just overall an uninteresting character. He swear every other sentence to the point of it being ridiculous, he's constantly angry and that just makes him seem silly, and in short, he just doesn't get to the level of Mercer,
Spoiler:
and speaking of Mercer, he completely changed from the first game for reasons only explained in badly-made comics between both games
, Heller is a Kratos Wannabe that fails miserably,
Spoiler:
and Mercer has become a Wesker wannabe, that also fails miserably.

Spoiler:
They do tell you what happened to Dana Mercer, fortunately, and she is on the ending, and actually says the last line of the game, unfortunately, such line is "What do we do now?" and the credits just ROLL, the ending is literally like 30 seconds long. If that. Also, right before that scene, Heller DESTROYS THE VIRUS BY USING A DEVASTATOR-SQUEE MOVE OUT OF ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE AFTER CONSUMING MERCER AND CONSUMING EVERY PARTICLE OF THE VIRUS THAT EXISTS. Should I also mention that Mercer, the absolute badass's dying words are "Welcome to the top of the food chain"? Ultimate happy ending with no reason whatsoever, I preferred the first game's ending, it didn't leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth, even if it wasn't as accomplishing as it should.

And Heller lacks any sort of memorable lines. He doesn't have a "NOTHING CAN PROTECT YOU FROM ME! NOT MAN! NOT WEAPON! NOT ARMOR!"-esque line nor does he have a "So many voices, all converging together... They're all talking, all dying..."-esque line, nope, nothing, just pure second class Kratos stuff.

Unless you want this game for the pointless violence which actually gets really boring really quick, don't buy it, there's better stuff out there.

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 05:39:09 AM »
Counter-Strike Online.

Naturally, bosses in Zombie Scenario takes really a lot of time to be taken down. And ZSM Season 2 is much, much harder.

But this is how fast me and my clanmates kill a boss, all armed with with AT4-CS each.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2012, 08:04:27 AM »
I'm not entirely sure why Graceful Believe gets so much flak for its drain - if you've gotten that far, you really shouldn't have any trouble at all getting 300s, especially after Bambina and the general dickery of the added notes in Graceful Cheer. Have fun with Zoku and Samurai Blue afterwards!

Well, at least both OTO2 and Re:coded are down, so all that's left is the postgame.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2012, 09:23:02 PM »
Playing Sleeping Dogs atm. Entertaining enough game and i really dig the Hong Kong setting but there's still two minor gripes i have with the game.

1: Is it normal for people in Hong Kong to speak english so much? I don't think it is. More cantonese please. Let's keep it authentic.
2: The combat pretends to be Batman AA but it just isn't. The combat feels sloppy and not at all satisfying except for the environmental kills. A pretty cool feature but seriously, having played that Punisher game on the PS2, these enviro kills leave quite a lot to be desired.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »
Darksiders II - Finished the game last night.  The final boss...I don't know how they managed it, but it's even more of a goddamn joke than the final boss of the first game.  I seriously only got hit once the entire battle and that was due to me getting greedy trying to take off the last little bit of the boss's HP.

Hell, the boss of the last area was more of a challenge.

In any case, finished at lv22 (Maximum level you can be for your first run).  Took the option to continue playing on this first playthrough so I can wrap up some side quests (namely getting the rest of the stonebites) before starting NG+.

Current time on my file is something like 32-ish hours or so.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 03:09:51 PM »
Doing a Nuzlocke Mode run of Pokemon Red

Doing pretty decent so far, just made it through Mt Moon
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »
Picked up Retro/Grade, a reverse shmup/rhythm game. Instead of shooting stuff, they've already been shot - you have to fire the shot as it comes back to the ship...

Y'know what? I can't explain it very well. It's a rhythm game disguised as a shmup going in reverse. More so since you can use a guitar controller to play.

Move eternally forward,

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 03:48:13 AM »
Just started playing Dark Souls. It has a great atmosphere to it, I like it.

Nem

• Grrrr!
  • Gimmie money!
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »
I'm playing PSO2 right now. Everything is in Japanese so I have no idea what I'm doing.

I need to get back into Persona 4 Arena so I can turn my Yukiko into something less horrible.

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »
Just finished To The Moon, and my god, i love it, the music, the gameplay, the references and especially
Spoiler:
Dr.Watts
. Haven't played much games like this based on it's story. But its one of my favourites now.

Anyone know any good and deep story-based games that aren't too long and drag on?

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
Just learned of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition being made a reality on Sept 18th. So stoked.
For the Glory of Amn!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
Just learned of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition being made a reality on Sept 18th. So stoked.
For the Glory of Amn!
Oh shit that's a lot closer than I thought it was
I'll be more excited when it's BG2EE but a BG1 is fine too

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2012, 02:49:28 AM »
Playing Tales of Abyss, which I picked up today.
Guy has only had 53 seconds of screen time and I already want in his pants.

> 3 minutes later
Spoiler:
"Guy doesn't like women."

THEN THIS WORKS FOR BOTH OF US.

Edit:

Just did some late-night sword practice with Guy and now Luke knows the Sonic Thrust command :*
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:22:44 AM by チソウ タイゼン »

Aquila

• Sprite animator
  • Productivity is a drug
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 03:04:32 AM »
I've been addicted to playing PSO2 for the past month and a half.

Knowing Katakana helps, and the existing english patch covers pretty much everything bar the katakana item names now so I'm loving it!
If anyone happens to be in Ship 10...

Nem

• Grrrr!
  • Gimmie money!
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »
I've been addicted to playing PSO2 for the past month and a half.

Knowing Katakana helps, and the existing english patch covers pretty much everything bar the katakana item names now so I'm loving it!
If anyone happens to be in Ship 10...

I'm on Ship 10 and I usually hang out in Lobby 20.

Aquila

• Sprite animator
  • Productivity is a drug
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
I'm on Ship 10 and I usually hang out in Lobby 20.
And here I am on Lobby 21 avoiding that place... Sure it has the population for easy parties but it doesn't help that I'm mainly a soloer...
Spoiler:
I've been like this before watching Sword Art Online, I swear!!!

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 07:15:57 AM »
I prefer to solo in most MMOs meself, averts the nasty little greed issue from other players.
But it does have it's downsides sometimes. Like boss fights. Especially in RO.

On a more on-topic note, just picked up Glory of Heracles DS recently. Interesting little jRPG that.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »
So currently playing a nostalgic gem from my past. Essentially the first video game that I bought on my own for my first console. Splinter Cell.

Good game. Just... i've reached the Kalinatek Building level and I'm playing non-lethally, ideally avoiding take-downs whenever possible/doable within a reasonable timeframe, but this level... this mission is just so bloody dumb. It's a real douche to get through without killing everyone since it's obviously not designed for that. Furthermore, the garage in the beginning of the mission pretty much is an auto-spot unless you enter the room in the right way or something. There's also an auto-spot later in the level where i have to open a door closely guarded by some dude on the far side who immediately spots me when i enter the door.

Tried blowing up a mine near the door but unfortunately the sound isolation on that door is pretty epic so it doesn't work. Screw this level. Rest of the game is still glorious fun and a nice trip down memory lane even though a lot of things i remember to be difficult turns out to be really easy if you just use your brain a bit.

But i was 11 years old back then. I didn't have a brain.  ;)

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Planning to play through Tales of Vesperia again. I'm thinking of doing a fresh run on Hard, mainly cause I don't want to try to figure out how to set up an Unknown run to not be too easy, not be stupidly hard or impossible, while keeping it at a fun level of difficulty, and stuff. If I just use my strongest stuff, I'm sure I'd just destroy Unknown, but then if I try to use weaker stuff, I'd have to keep trying lower equipment that doesn't make it the complete opposite.

But then I want to do Unknown as well, but as I said, it'd be tough to keep it somewhat balanced.