Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now IV - A New Hope  (Read 220972 times)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Games You're Playing Right Now IV - A New Hope
« on: August 06, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »
BEHOLD, GAMES.  SPEAK OF THEM.  FOR THEY ARE GOOD.  (and sometimes bad)

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Re: Games You're Playing Right Now IV - A New Hope
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »
Currently playing Batman Arkham City on New Game Plus. Would like to switch the difficulty up from Normal to Hard without having to go through the entire game on Hard to unlock New Game Plus for Hard but whatever, any good game needs to have at least a few dumb oversights.

Also supposed to be playing for the STGT but can't be bothered right now. Will play later when I realize the rest of my team outside of Bananamatic can't deliver satisfying results.  :V

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »
"A New Hope" that's funny cause I'm still playing Knights of the Old Republic.  Finished the main quests on Dantooine and some of the side quests.  Went to Tatooine next, cause Mission and Bastilla both had stuff to do there.  Picked up HK-47, fun times to be had.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
Lots of Skyrim lately, will get Dawnguard at another time. Going around as a Marisa-esque Breton with 50+ different mods running, including more foods, monsters, quests, and weapons (HHH's Headtaker and MC Diamond Sword <3). Lots of theft and lock picking are included as well.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »
Darksiders - Collecting the pieces for the Armageddon Blade so I can go kick the Destroyer's face in.

Also have the maximum amount of Wrath.  Just need to find a couple more Lifestone Shards and the final Soldier artifact and I'll be at max health as well.

Should be able to finish up this fun game by tonight and return to Lost Odyssey for awhile before the 2nd game comes out next week.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

PapillonReel

• Liquid Snake
  • I'm actually pretty patient.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:48:02 PM »
Gonna pull up something from the previous thread since it's relevant to this post:

Quote from: tranceko

Final Fantasy V: Ancient Cave
A ROM hack of FFV which utilizes an already included save file to get to the titular dungeon, Ancient Cave.
A frog will reset your levels to LV1 (as if you had just started the game) in order to access the Ancient Cave.
Battle through 99 floors of randomly generated maps and collect items, weapons, spells and Jobs like a real roguelike!
Be careful, some boss waves will destroy you! Careful of booby trapped chests!
10 minute time limit per normal floor, so no grinding!

Want a challenge? Disable EXP gain, ABP gain, or escaping! FFVAC is probably one of the biggest tests of your FFV knowledge, so go for it if you want a challenge and enjoy FFV!

I introduced this hack to another forum a while back, and recently someone there translated this game enough for me to actually play it. And this game, you guys. This game. This is such an amazing idea and I still can't wrap my head around the fact that it actually got made.

I had a really rough run on my last attempt - the only jobs I had that  I cound use were Knight, Thief, White Mage and Dancer, and I was forced to dive as quickly as I could in the hopes of landing something better. I made it to about Floor 33 before I ran into a Bio Soldier that wiped out everyone but Bartz, and things fell apart soon after that when I bumped into a Jackanape. Which is a shame, because I was largely set for healing thanks to a Heal Staff I found earlier on, and I was massacring practically everything up to that point thanks to a Main Gauche, a Kotetsu and an Ice Brand I'd found.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:58:31 PM by PapillonReel »

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
I haven't bothered with V-V yet since I couldn't get it working yet.  Did credit feed a little of Grind Stormer to see some of what the game was like though.

Played Ys: Oath in Felghana quite a lot today, but only made a little progress. I beat the ice dragon boss which was pretty annoying fight, and I'm now stuck on Death Falcon which is even more annoying. Of course, I'm on Nightmare, the hardest difficulty available at the start, so I pretty much knew I'd be in for a hard game. It's legit hard though, haven't seen much if anything that could qualify as bullshit, unlike some of the attacks in Ys: Origin.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:25:41 PM »
Decided to shelve Qoga once I found out the Bad End continues further after failing to destroy the MYU in time, swapped over to Motorstorm: Apocalypse. I can't get the hang of drifting, though - I always end up off course.

Remind me not to go for total kills of bosses in Hellsinker. It... ends badly.

Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 06:09:45 AM »
Also supposed to be playing for the STGT but can't be bothered right now. Will play later when I realize the rest of my team outside of Bananamatic can't deliver satisfying results.  :V

Fuck you :getdown:
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 06:21:36 AM »
More orcs. I MUST KILL MORE ORCS.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »
Fuck you :getdown:

Okay, that's not entirely fair. SuperSoaker also performed okay.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
Gonna pull up something from the previous thread since it's relevant to this post:

I introduced this hack to another forum a while back, and recently someone there translated this game enough for me to actually play it. And this game, you guys. This game. This is such an amazing idea and I still can't wrap my head around the fact that it actually got made.

I had a really rough run on my last attempt - the only jobs I had that  I cound use were Knight, Thief, White Mage and Dancer, and I was forced to dive as quickly as I could in the hopes of landing something better. I made it to about Floor 33 before I ran into a Bio Soldier that wiped out everyone but Bartz, and things fell apart soon after that when I bumped into a Jackanape. Which is a shame, because I was largely set for healing thanks to a Heal Staff I found earlier on, and I was massacring practically everything up to that point thanks to a Main Gauche, a Kotetsu and an Ice Brand I'd found.
whoops I just blew two hours on this only to die.  HOW THE HELL do you deal with the fight on.... floor 20? 
Spoiler:
Liquid Flame + two death claws----oh wait death claws are vulneurable to L5 Death aren't they?  I HAD THAT AND BLUE MAGE AUGH

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »
Nope, those are level 51 enemies. You would have to halve their level to 25 in order for level 5 Death to work.

And now that this has some translation, I need to get that set up.

PapillonReel

• Liquid Snake
  • I'm actually pretty patient.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »
whoops I just blew two hours on this only to die.  HOW THE HELL do you deal with the fight on.... floor 20?

Short answer: You don't. :V At least, not unless you've been really lucky with drops. Ignore the chest and head down to the next floor, it's really not worth the trouble.

Long answer:
Spoiler:
From what I've been told, it's the Phoenix Tower variant of the Liquid Flame, which means it has a whopping 9,000 HP that you need to cut through. Four Samurais spamming !GilToss might be able to pull it off since they'll hit the Death Claws as well, and I think the Liquid Flame is vulnerable to gravity spells just like the one you fight on the Fire Ship. You pretty much need to luck into something game-breaking like an early Masamune or Hermes Sandles in order to manage to fight otherwise.

Bonus answer:
Spoiler:
Dark Spark + Lv5 Death might take care of the Death Claws, as I think the game rounds down when you halve levels and I think the latter spell pierces immunity. If you have Fire Rings of any sort and have a bit of luck on your side, you might be able to kill the Death Claws the first round and stall out the Liquid Flame from there.

Managed to get as deep as level 40 my last run before
Spoiler:
I started getting mauled by Corvettes and other mid-game enemies. It was a Bio Soldier that actually did me in though, ending my run with two shots of Bio to the entire party before I could even heal.
And after making such good progress up to that point too - Krile was a hair's breadth away from learning !White 4, and Lenna and Faris were mauling tough enemies with 1,000 Needles/Swords Dance and !GilToss. I'll get you next time, Ancient Cave!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:25:49 PM by PapillonReel »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »
Oh, man! Dragon Age: Origins has been an addiction since unemployment started up again!

Main party has consisted of Alistair (tank), Oghren (DPSer. BANG!), and Leliana (ranged damage), with the Warden as a red mage. MAJOR SPOILER TIME!
Spoiler:
I snuck a peek at who would be the better king of Orzammar and put Bhelen on the throne because Harathorn doesn't do JACK. I had Zathrian give up his grudge and free the werewolves from his curse. I saved Connor from possession via the Circle of Mages and smote all who thought I should harm/profit from Andraste's ashes. Zevran was great to have in the party for a spell, but he's so damn finicky that I had to nix him since he went back to the Crows. Also, Alistair doesn't want the throne, and that's what he gets. EDIT: Dragon Age: Origins - Now with 100% more headless former hero dictators!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:18:46 PM by Reddyne »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
Playing Ib. Apparently ended up with all the bad endings. Replaying again later.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 01:55:47 AM »
Started up Pokemon Sapphire a couple of days ago and for the first time in my life I'm playing the game with a team I've put together instead of charging through on my starter. 

I'm trying to get my party up to Level 50 before I take on the Victory Road by grinding in Meteor Falls.  Once I'm ready to take on the Elite Four I'll post my team here.

Since I haven't played the game in a while I have absolutely no clue whether I'll be over-levelled or not.

EDIT:  After grinding to level 55 at the end of the Victory Road, my team consisted of Pacific (Swampert), Estabon (Ludicolo), Sai (Gardevoir), Moxie (Swellow), Umbra (Sableye), and Wally (Walrein).

The Elite Four wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be, though I did kind of over-prepare myself with Full Restores and Revives.  Still, I got through faster than I thought I would so it was kind of anti-climactic.

Ah well.  I'll probably replay Platinum next just because.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:35:26 AM by Kasu »

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 04:35:10 PM »
Darksiders - Beat the game a few days ago.  Final boss is lol with the Abyssal Armor that severely reduces all damage you take.

Now to wait for the 2nd game to come out next week.

Lost Odyssey - Midway through the 3rd Disc.  Said some colorful words when I ran into enemies that are meant to be fought with an extra 10+ levels than I had at the moment...when I only had two characters in my party to boot.  What the christ Lost Odyssey  :ohdear:.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 05:56:14 PM »
Was supposed to play V-V for STGT but didn't like it so ordered my princesses to play for me while I relax with Skyrim. Sounds like a plan.  :V

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »
A game with a Kitty 5 came out.. recently and it's full of testosterone :P I have already beaten it (Because it is little in protein) but I wanna know how many of you people around here actually played A game with a kitty(Any part)?

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 02:22:33 AM »
FORT FERMATA  >:( >:(

It doesn't matter that I had already played Eternal Sonata at release until somewhere in Chapter 4 and thus had done this dungeon already no no, I couldn't recall that you can walk on top of the moving room for longer than I care to admit.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »
Finally getting around to beating Painkiller on Trauma, and it's turning out surprisingly doable.  Just 4 more levels away from success, and what I remember to be the hardest level of the game (3-3: Military Base) is over and done with.

Once I'm done with this, I'll probably get to Recettear, which I finally bought during the Steam Summer Sale.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
Alright, so I haven't really played video games for around a month.
I have to start Cave Story+, Fortune Summoners, Gunstar Heroes, Ys: Oath in Felghana, and DJ MAX Trilogy, as well as several miscellaneous games. (VNs and the like)
I also need to catch up in DotA2, LoL, SC2, DnF, and PSO2.
I only have one major assessment within the next two weeks.
I have Tuesdays off for the next two weeks because of an administration problem at the school I'm supposed to work at.
I have my mid semester break coming up at the end of the month.
My body is ready.

Now my body is ready.

... Though, now that I think about it...
There is a bigger desk in our living room...
Which has another computer...
And I have another laptop lying around...
As well as one or two spare monitors in the garage...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:15:15 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Retsim Reklats

• Her smile..
  • calms my heart..
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
I'm playing...

Does anyone know Emil Chronicle Online?  ???
"Gensokyo welcomes all."

Art by : SilentSysteme
Generations, Borders, and Illusion.
A tribute fanfic for Yukari Yakumo and Maribel Hearn

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
  • I would murder all of you for a cup of tea.
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »
Been playing the leaked Fighting Is Magic alpha, at which I am horrible and of my online exploits I have managed but a single win against someone who then proceeded to wreck my shit in the next three matches. I'm simply not a competent fighting game player. Fun to play with friends who are equally as bad but I hand in my official letter of online resignation if people are already this goddamn good at an unreleased game.

Other game I've been playing is um.. Resurrection of Heaven's Liquor, it's hilariously bad in every aspect but I find it kind of perversely enjoyable when it's not throwing bullshit cards at me.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 10:12:37 PM »
Currently trying to 100%-complete Saints Row 3, at which I will be a living god who decides who lives and who dies in Steelport. :V

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »
Been playing Final Fantasy XIII.  I'm in the Fifth Ark, which is suppose to be a training facility.  But it gives crap experience.  I was getting better experience at the end of chapter 9 than I am now.

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 11:56:51 PM »
Been playing a lot of Skyrim lately,came back to it after the new Dawnguard dlc came out then I got back into making mods for it. been entertaining myself a bunch with a character I made to look like Sakuya (Favorite touhou character). Have this time stop mod that makes it pretty awesome to mess around on especially in combat. Outside of that mostly Record of Agarest War 2

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 12:55:08 AM »
Just beat Progenitor again.  Not sure if I feel like slogging through EO3's postgame, though.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 05:43:30 AM »
Still playing Diablo 3. Didn't want to necro.....

the previous D3 thread. But I'm excited about http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6923457/