Author Topic: 東方人工天災 - Iridescent Bloom (Alpha 13 "Judgement")  (Read 40813 times)

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
東方人工天災 - Iridescent Bloom (Alpha 13 "Judgement")
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:50:07 AM »
-gmc.yoyogames.com topic for this game-

Description:
Touhou Jinkoutensai (Eastern Artificial Disaster) is one of my first danmaku games, and it's aimed to carefully replicate the style of the main series, with some unique aspects. It only has 4 stages at the moment, but I aim to make this a great game!

I need dialog scriptwriters!

Downloads:
Game and auto-updater
Mirror: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aunhm3xjv6182zr/IB.zip

Game Features:
- Completely hand-written engine sort of like Danmakufu, called Bloom Engine 2
- 5 stages
- 9 difficulty settings, custom difficulty setting
- 3 playable characters (Reimu, Marisa, and Rin)
- Absolutely no randomness in any bullet pattern in the game. (Everything is pre-planned)
- Remixed music

Bloom Engine 2 Features:
- Auto-updater
- Completely coded from scratch
- Loads almost all code and graphics externally
- Uses .dat archive system similar to the official series
- Powerful and flexible code-handling system
- Dialog scripts
- Automatically edits spell card codes to adjust difficulty (In other words, infinite difficulty settings are possible with only 1 script per spell card)
- Has a nice effects system
- Compatible with Bullet Pattern Studio 1.3.0 and up
- 30 FPS but still smooth looking

Screenshots:

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMKffen-Fp4

Soundtrack
https://soundcloud.com/darkwalker247/sets/iridescent-bloom

Dialog script tracker:
Stage 1 vs. Cirno
 [  ] Reimu
 [  ] Marisa
 [X] Rin (by PhantomSong)
 [  ] Koishi

Stage 2 vs. Momiji
 [  ] Reimu
 [  ] Marisa
 [X] Rin (by PhantomSong)
 [  ] Koishi

Stage 3 vs. Mugetsu
 [  ] Reimu
 [  ] Marisa
 [X] Rin (PhantomSong and me)
 [  ] Koishi

Stage 4 vs. Honouko
 [  ] Reimu
 [  ] Marisa
 [X] Rin
 [  ] Koishi

Stage 5 vs. Flandre
 [  ] Reimu
 [  ] Marisa
 [X] Rin
 [  ] Koishi

Stage 6 vs Onishi Kageyumi
 [  ] Reimu
 [  ] Marisa
 [  ] Rin
 [  ] Koishi

Extra vs Pikuro
 [  ] Reimu
 [  ] Marisa
 [  ] Rin
 [  ] Koishi

General plot outline:
Onishi Kageyumi is a shadowy demon-type youkai with the powers of natural disaster (tornado/cyclone, wildfire, flood, blizzard, etc.), and is also an arrogant rebel and refuses to follow normal spell card rules. She offers a hefty reward to anyone who can beat her in battle, and the resulting battles result in disasters all over Gensokyo. Because of the nature of her powers, she often completely ravages the surrounding environment, as well as her opponent.

The heroine(s) go in search of her for whatever reason (maybe to fight for the reward). But  they find that Onishi is beginning to get out of control, with a sudden fire in the forest (stage 4; Honouko is falsely accused of causing it), a powerful tornado near the Scarlet Devil Mansion (stage 5; Remilia battle, Somehow Flandre gets out), and a deadly flash flood at the base of Youkai Montain (stage 6). The heroine decides to fight Onishi in a dangerous attempt to stop the rampaging, as well as get the reward.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:33:59 AM by Ran Yakumo »

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
Re: Iridescent Bloom Alpha 1
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 03:23:58 AM »
So I just tried it out a bit, and wanted to make a few criticisms.

- Why is the stage theme a remix of Locked Girl? Patchy would barely leave her library, let alone get involved in this! I know it's a pre-alpha, but this irks me.
- I don't have the patience get past midboss Momiji. She moves all over the damn place and is nigh impossible to hit.
- Please make the game exitable from something other than task manager. It'll really help with reputation.

If you would fix those things (except maybe the first if you feel like it), this would be pretty good for a pre-alpha. Just be sure not to use too many of ZUN's graphics; you know what happened with the iPhone game that must not be named.
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 03:57:10 AM »
- Why is the stage theme a remix of Locked Girl? Patchy would barely leave her library, let alone get involved in this! I know it's a pre-alpha, but this irks me.
Substitute music.

- I don't have the patience get past midboss Momiji. She moves all over the damn place and is nigh impossible to hit.
Ah, okay, I'll lessen her movement.

- Please make the game exitable from something other than task manager. It'll really help with reputation.
Hit Esc in the "menu" for now.

If you would fix those things (except maybe the first if you feel like it), this would be pretty good for a pre-alpha.
Thanks.

Just be sure not to use too many of ZUN's graphics; you know what happened with the iPhone game that must not be named.

No idea what game you're talking about, but I'm not planning to go commercial or anything. I'm definitely gonna try to use more custom graphics though.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 06:03:37 AM »
So I just tried it out a bit, and wanted to make a few criticisms.

You know, this is hardly criticism since #1 en #2 are extremely subjective where #2 is a design feature from the creator, I am sure we know another girl in 10D who moves all over the place. #3 is probably the most valid one here for a new engine.

If you would fix those things (except maybe the first if you feel like it), this would be pretty good for a pre-alpha. Just be sure not to use too many of ZUN's graphics; you know what happened with the iPhone game that must not be named.
I think mainly that is more like due to the ZUN rule for releasing on Android/Applestore platforms. Those were disallowed afaik.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 06:45:01 AM »
I think mainly that is more like due to the ZUN rule for releasing on Android/Applestore platforms. Those were disallowed afaik.
So I'm unlikely to get in trouble the way it is right now? I'd like to avoid too much gray area.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:16:55 AM »
So I'm unlikely to get in trouble the way it is right now? I'd like to avoid too much gray area.
ZUN does state, if you want to use gamedata, use screenshots and not ingame data. He requests politely to make your own.

If you want to avoid gray area, you'll eventually want to make your own graphics/data/everything.

Edit:
You might want to read this wiki article. http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki:Copyrights

Quite insightful.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:24:43 AM by Helepolis »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »
ZUN does state, if you want to use gamedata, use screenshots and not ingame data. He requests politely to make your own.

If you want to avoid gray area, you'll eventually want to make your own graphics/data/everything.

Edit:
You might want to read this wiki article. http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki:Copyrights

Quite insightful.
Okay, thanks for that. Although I've seen lots of games on here that use gamedata <_<

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 06:28:08 AM »
Okay, thanks for that. Although I've seen lots of games on here that use gamedata <_<
Indeed, discussable topic but I think in the end it boils down to personal choices. So I shouldn't be bothered with it if you follow the guidelines, especially since this is your own engine it seems.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »
Alpha 2 - "Cirno" is out!

Game changes:
- Moved Momiji's stage to stage 2 and added a stage 1 vs. Cirno
- Added Rin Kaenbyou is playable character #3
- Added bombs to all characters
- Added "Item Get Border"
- Added custom difficulty selection
- Added some missing sounds
- Tweaked sound volumes

Engine changes:
- Improved difficulty handling code
- Added glow support to bullets
- Improved pickup chasing
- Added conflict prevention to game data extraction

Topic changes:
- Moved download links up to just below description
- Added version changes section

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?de1nn7jbeixuk4b
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:02:44 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
Re: Iridescent Bloom Alpha 2
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
Looks really cool and has potential. I know it's a WIP, but you know:
- Bombs doesn't work properly. (No Invincibility.) Ok, you can consider it working properly, but it is so bad at doing it's job. Deathbombing is alot worse than in EoSD and since you have no invincibility, random bullets can still kill you.
- Boss appearance and cutins (especially Momiji's which covers her fastspeed small bullets) are annoying.
- Death spawning is broken, you can die like three times in a sec against momiji with her fastspawning - fast speed bullets which hits you way too fast upon death. With that I mean, death respawning should have an invincibility timer.

The custom difficulty was a fun setting, using 20 was kind of interesting which reminded me of ultra mode :P.

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 09:24:53 PM »
:P Hmmhmn... I like it! I LOVE those player sprites, do you sprite them youself? And pretty much Darkness took what I had to say... :P

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 01:25:55 AM »
Alpha 3.1 - "Rin" update:

Alpha 3.1 Engine changes:
- Added tails to Rin Kaenbyou
- Increased midboss Momiji's spell health
- Fixed auto-updater so it always updates the version number
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:03:13 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Re: Iridescent Bloom Alpha 3
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
I wonder how long have it taken to write all your code?
What systems are written by you?

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »
I wonder how long have it taken to write all your code?
What systems are written by you?
It took about a week to write the engine.
I wrote every single line of code in it, too.
But I used a few DLLs by other people to handle file downloading and drawing 3D graphics on surfaces.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 05:46:58 AM »
Player involvement opportunity!
I'm thinking of bringing back either Mima or Shinki. I made sprites for both, so which should appear in the game?

Oh, and expect much abuse of lasers in the next stage!

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 08:13:42 AM »
My vote is for Shinki.
Not because I don't like Mima, she is cool too, but I would enjoy more to see danmaku of Shinki because:
1. Her danmaku is very interesting.
2. She isn't used much at all...

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »
I've had an idea for a while. Shinki could be the boss of the Extra stage, with Yumeko as the midboss, and Mima could be the boss of the Phantasm stage, with pretty much anyone as the midboss. How about that?
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 08:02:44 PM »
I've had an idea for a while. Shinki could be the boss of the Extra stage, with Yumeko as the midboss, and Mima could be the boss of the Phantasm stage, with pretty much anyone as the midboss. How about that?
Sounds like a good idea, but who should be the 3rd stage boss/midboss then? I'd like to use either a dark stage with lasers, or a sort of red-orange tinted stage with light/rainbow bullets.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 08:32:51 PM »
Mima could be the boss of the Phantasm stage, with pretty much anyone as the midboss.

I think the best would be to have Marisa as the Phantasm midboss then.
who should be the 3rd stage boss/midboss then? I'd like to use either a dark stage with lasers, or a sort of red-orange tinted stage with light/rainbow bullets.

Dark stage with lasers makes me think of Yuuka/Yukari/Rumia/Gengetsu
Red-orange stage: Meiling/Kurumi/Flandre/Three Mischievous Fairies :V

Just random thoughts/ideas. May be abit silly.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »
The game crashes for me. It says that there's a resource conflict over the .cfg file (as in, it can't make another copy because one already exists). Don't know what happened. It automatically updated to 3.1, then crashed. Restarting gave the error message.

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 11:32:15 PM »
Sounds like a good idea, but who should be the 3rd stage boss/midboss then? I'd like to use either a dark stage with lasers, or a sort of red-orange tinted stage with light/rainbow bullets.
You could always pull a PC98 and have a really powerful unnamed fairy/creaturethingy

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:41 AM »
You could always pull a PC98

XD. Is that the new scripter excuse for a BSsed piece of work?

And yeah, I wish I could play it.

Edit: If you want a Touhou character, it might help to use a lesser known one.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »
The game crashes for me. It says that there's a resource conflict over the .cfg file (as in, it can't make another copy because one already exists). Don't know what happened. It automatically updated to 3.1, then crashed. Restarting gave the error message.
Odd... I'll look into it. Did the game process get terminated while updating or loading at any time?

For now, you can probably fix it by going to your C:\ drive and deleting the folder called .bloom2 or .be2temp or something like that.

And as for stage 3, I'm thinking of having either Keine or Mugetsu as boss, having Lily White as midboss, and bringing back the "Cheetoh lasers".
How does that sound?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:19:16 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 01:37:43 AM »
Odd... I'll look into it. Did the game process get terminated while updating or loading at any time?

For now, you can probably fix it by going to your C:\ drive and deleting the folder called .bloom2 or .be2temp or something like that.

A) No
B) Oh. Hidden files. perfect. *Whips Houdini out*

Edit: Actually, the files were never written. Most of the folders have 0 bytes in them.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:39:53 AM by Sparen »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 02:20:14 AM »
A) No
B) Oh. Hidden files. perfect. *Whips Houdini out*

Edit: Actually, the files were never written. Most of the folders have 0 bytes in them.
Try the new version. I added a manual file_delete command in the start of the game to make sure it doesn't already exist.

Warning: I found a bug in the auto-updater, that causes people updating from alpha version 3 to 3.2 to not get some of the changes in version 3.1! The game still works, but you may not see Rin's tails and Momiji's spell will have too little health again...
I will fix this bug soon!

Added some remixes of songs from Touhou 5 (Mystic Square) to the soundtrack. These are essentially the same as the original, but the synthesized instruments are switched out with the more realistic ones from the newer games.

Also, here's a link to my first ever Touhou game, Incandescent Bloom. I started it like a year and a half ago, but never finished it. It's pretty bad, and as you can guess by the title, Iridescent Bloom was intended to be a remake of it.
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=535602
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:30:05 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »
Alpha 4 - "Shikigami" is out!

Alpha 4 Engine changes:
- Fixed updater bug, all features from 3.1 should now work
- Added complex 3D scene support
- Added 2D background support for boss fights
- Added laser bullet support
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:03:50 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
Re: Iridescent Bloom Alpha 5
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 02:18:46 AM »
Alpha 5 - "Mugetsu" is out! Get it now!

Alpha 5 Game changes:
- Added Stage 3 (Vs. Keine Kamishirasawa & Mugetsu)
- Switched some songs around
- Added temporary invincibility for bombs and for some time after death
- Increased point drops for some enemies
- Removed laggy shockwave effect from Reimu's and Rin's bombs
- Improved laser animation

Alpha 5 Engine changes:
- Added point counter
- Added life extend
- Fixed spell handler so that bullet count can't go below 1
- Moved spell name display further to the right
- Improved enemy destruction effect

Known bugs:
- The high-health enemies only shoot 2 bullets before leaving the screen
- Sometimes (rarely) crashes when checking for updates
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:04:10 AM by Ran Yakumo »

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 11:26:43 PM »
Hm... May I suggest making the boss wait to fire/be attacked and fade out the music so the transition seems for fluent?(Obviously where the conversation would happen). Also have a slight pause when the mid-boss appears so you can react? Also have the bosses come in from the side so they can't spawn on top of you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:30:17 PM by PhantomSong »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 04:35:21 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion, I will work on it.

I just can't really catch these details by myself, since I've playtested it so many times I've gotten used to all the problems. So, I appreciate these comments a LOT.

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
  • What if Seija met a guy with bipolar disease?
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
Deity Mode isn't human :V

PS, after defeating Mugetsu, what happens?
Easy Modo? That's for kids, and for me.