Author Topic: Contests #10? - discussion thread. Please watch warmly and drink tea  (Read 9981 times)

Are there any running contests?

Edit:
Temporarily hijacking this post animejunkey54 and editing topic title.

User: Drake has announced to take upon the task of hosting a contest. The userbase has expressed interest in this contest and therefore preparations are being made. Feel free to discuss here the upcoming contest or have a chit chat.

Please note this is not the sign up thread. Drake will provide all information soon.

Thank you for showing interest and supporting Danmakufu community. Thanks to animejunkey54 for creating this mythical thread as well.

--Helepolis
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:43:21 AM by Helepolis »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Contests?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:33:30 PM »
Hello animejunkey54, welcome.

Currently none are running. (And haven't been for quite the time).

Remember contests are not bound to be hosted by moderators. If a member from the community wants to step up and host an interesting contest, feel free to prepare and announce it. Us mods can sticky things and declare it as a RikaNitori contest.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:46:06 PM »
Aww that's too bad, I was hoping one was running so I could have a goal to work toward.

Drake

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »
We haven't been doing contests in a while because we need an active enough userbase to get any sort of turnout. In the past we have tried driving people to action by starting a contest, but the turnout was abysmal, despite many people agreeing beforehand that if there was a contest they would participate. I'm definitely not averse to more contests; exactly the opposite, actually.

So!

If people do want a contest, I will happily oblige. If we get seven people to post in this thread proclaiming an intent to participate, I will start a contest.
The theme and likely restrictions would be revealed at the start, but will probably just be "a boss fight". Time limit of 2~3 weeks. It will probably be both ph3 and 0.12 because some sillies still use 0.12. If anyone knows scripters outside of MotK then they're wholly encouraged to get their butts over here too.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:26:12 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Qwertyzxcv

• yas
  • k!
I would :D (1/7)

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
I'm not that good but I'd be in on it.

You know I'm there!

I would participate but I feel like I'm in a difficult situation as I'm learning how to script in ph3. It would be really confusing for me to be using both of them at the same time. What with the different functions and all. And I can't participate using ph3 because I haven't fully learned it.
Don't count me in if the contest is in the next few months. But if it's after November of somewhere around there, they I might participate.
Currently a normal player

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
Making bosses in ph3 isn't too bad. Functions like CreateShotA have been merged with object shots. It's more complicated but better.

Though I won't lie, I'm mainly using ph3 for the sake of pre made backgrounds in Metasequoia, and the package system(I'm still a bit confused on how it works).

I can save myself some time and finish my WIP boss.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
I certainly would love to join, though I have a bad record with actually finishing my entries on time. I'll certainly try though, it will be a good test of my ph3 systems. Also, I thought the last one here failed due to people not really knowing or wanting to learn ph3.

It seems like we have a decent amount of interest. Who will be judging it though?

Edit: Just noticed that we need 7 people. I will be awaiting more.

I'm all for it.   :D

Shadow

• Forever waiting for tomorrow
Although I am not completely confident in my scripting abilities, the prospect of a contest sounds very interesting. I am certainly up for it~

Well, that makes for six people.
And I'm willing to put learning ph3 on hold and just script in 0.12.
So if you count me, that's seven people. And there might be more to come.

Woot! Awesome!

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
Well, that makes for six people.
And I'm willing to put learning ph3 on hold and just script in 0.12.
So if you count me, that's seven people. And there might be more to come.
Eh, I'm in a side one, but make that 8!

Spectral Nexus

• Idealistic Aspirer and Unacheiver
  • Hella trippy.
I'd love to! Yay! :]
It's on everyone!  :P
COMPOSING FOR: Magical Moon Story / Mystic Memory Drive (Full Game)
- Old Chateau Story (Stage 3 and Title Themes)
- Ephemeral Unnatural Balance (Stage 2 & Stage 5 Themes)
- Illusionary Visual Twilight (Full Game)
- Hopefully a few of my own future fangames! :-D

Wow we got 9, that's even more than we needed, this is going to be great!

oh boy time to make something completely stupid again :derp:

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
Oh wow contests, how nostalgic. :V

I'm still around the forums, mostly lurking.
DDC rekindled my interest in Touhou so I was gonna try scripting again anyways, contests sound like the best kind of motivation to do so.
I'm not sure if I'd have time to make a script within a short time limit since summer's gonna be over soon though.
Funny how this thread appeared, when just recently I was having some danmaku ideas in my mind and felt like scripting. lol :)

ExPorygon

I've also been told to mention that Kyuu (sometimes known as Miransu) would also like to enter the contest.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Thaws and Suika! What a surprise to see you again for this.

Noticing more than 7, awaiting thread details + organisation by Drake then. This will be the discussion thread until then.

Well since DDC just came out, can the contest have something to do with the game. A character or a boss rush, etc.
Might be a way to encourage looking into the game. Via game or video.
Ideas?

ExPorygon

Well since DDC just came out, can the contest have something to do with the game. A character or a boss rush, etc.
Might be a way to encourage looking into the game. Via game or video.
Ideas?
Though I like the thinking, I just think that making the theme relate to DDC is too narrowing of a restriction in this case. We have a lot of new scripters in this contest. We should try to keep the theme simple. Like Drake said, to start maybe we should just have it a be a simple boss fight of a few attacks. If this contest gets a lot of complete and interesting entries, then the next one perhaps can be more specialized. That said, we can probably still have a theme for this one. Just keep it simple and broad.

SAS

• The Worst Person In the World
  • I have a deathwish
Yes probably.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
I'm in!  (Though I'm one of those sillies who still uses 0.12 cuz I'm too lazy to learn ph3.  So please put up with me :V)

Formless God

Sign me up. I'm still assblasted that I failed the last one and there wasn't any chance to redeem myself afterwards.

inb4 reverse theme

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
If it's ph3 I guess I can try. Not promising anything as it really depends on the time of the contest and the expected size of the project for me.

Can't wait to see Suikama's script, if any :V
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:04:49 AM by Darkness1 »

Drake

Holy cow guys, I am extremely pleased with this turnout. With this many people we'll probably have a good number of entries even if some of you don't end up doing anything.

Expect an announcement some time within the next few days.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Count me in too, please.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Contests #10? - discussion thread. Please watch warmly and drink tea
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »
Well then Drake, we shall leave it in your hands. Summon the thread for signups and info and I shall pin it.