Author Topic: 東方百画志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star (Possibly dead?!)  (Read 102898 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Wish Under Celestial Star (Touhou RPG)
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »
I'm curious, and I don't even know if it's possible with RPG maker, but do you plan on having any enemy moves that are "outside the box"? I mean those evil spells like "YOUR STATUS SCREEN IS DELETED! BWAHAHAHA".

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2010, 09:27:24 PM »
And yes, I have been modifying AI routines based on difficulty.  Enemies have new attacks on higher difficulties, or are more likely to use their more dangerous ones, on top of having higher stats.

I love you <3 In a non-gay kind of way.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2010, 12:23:17 PM »
I love you <3
8D--
In a non-gay kind of way.
--D8

But srsly.

I'm curious, and I don't even know if it's possible with RPG maker, but do you plan on having any enemy moves that are "outside the box"? I mean those evil spells like "YOUR STATUS SCREEN IS DELETED! BWAHAHAHA".
What, you mean Interface Screws?  I don't think I can pull that off (...or CAN I?  That would be pretty psychotic for an RPG.  I'm gonna have to keep this one in mind...) ; but you might be seeing a few non-standard surprises here and there.

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2010, 12:30:53 AM »
It's been over a week and no new posts. However Garlyle must remember that the only reason we pester him so is that we think the idea for the game is awesome.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2010, 12:50:52 AM »
As usual I'm getting caught up with other distractions, but I'm still chipping away at it.

I'd estimate I'm roughly 3/4th done the first floor and stuff; I'll put some serious work into it tonight +_+

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »
Aye, I've been excited about seeing some updates but I'm patient >=)

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2010, 01:48:24 AM »
A friend of mine has been asking me to ask you this. Do you plan on having Super Bosses/Post game content when you get to that point? I'm just curious.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2010, 02:27:11 AM »
A friend of mine has been asking me to ask you this. Do you plan on having Super Bosses/Post game content when you get to that point? I'm just curious.
There's two parts to this answer, both of which are "Yes".  There's stuff in the postgame, and there's optional stuff during the maingame that you're meant to come back to several floors later.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2010, 10:27:27 PM »
There's two parts to this answer, both of which are "Yes".  There's stuff in the postgame, and there's optional stuff during the maingame that you're meant to come back to several floors later.

YES! That alone is awesome. Could you make one of the bosses difficult no matter what, no easy way to win, the classic/old form of difficulty? Like powering up based on party levels or something?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2010, 12:38:57 AM »
YES! That alone is awesome. Could you make one of the bosses difficult no matter what, no easy way to win, the classic/old form of difficulty? Like powering up based on party levels or something?

Powering up based on your level is something I'd have had to implement from the start, and although there actually is a neat way to do it... I'm opting to pass on that.  Things can get complex enough as is XD

Regardless, though, I can probably do something like that all the same.  What I'll probably design is a boss who continually gets harder every time you beat it (I may do this for the superoptional) so even when you do defeat it, you can go back and challenge it again and it'll be harder, etc. etc.

I'm also debating when/how to implement Ver. 2 bosses like there was in Touhou Labyrinth, in which bosses from the early game are now souped up to be challenging for you at end-game levels.

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2010, 12:59:57 PM »
Sounds like you can only go in the tower...

For post game, can we go outside the tower?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2010, 02:13:56 AM »
Sounds like you can only go in the tower...

For post game, can we go outside the tower?
Yeah, the game all takes place within the tower; there isn't even "outside facilities" like there is in Touhou Labyrinth; instead, things like healing points and party switching and saving all take place within the tower.

As for the location of the post game, I'm keeping that a secret now.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2010, 05:58:51 AM »
NINJA EDIT: (Basically this whole post)

I come up with some interesting ideas sometime 8D
Basically, yes.  You're looking at a Spell Card system for bosses, which I intend to keep similar to the actual Touhou games - the boss jumps into spellcard mode at certain amounts of HP and at this point they change up the battles in some way.

I've also decided to scrap a traditional item system and add a more strategic defend option which actually gives you several methods of defending; it's mostly intended for handling those Spellcard phases.  Why?  Because clearing a spellcard without taking any deaths results in you netting yourself the Spellcard Bonus - that is to say, bonus EXP 8D To compensate, I'm going to make sure to give you earlier options for healing up, because you're going to find yourself needing them.  That also means I need to revamp the whole difficulty situation right now... but that's probably for the best that I do that.  In summary, a significant time setback for now, but it'll come out WAY awesomer.

Another amount of time has been lost since I've decided I don't like the way portraits are displaying right now.  It's too slow and it ends up irritating me, and so, I'm going to simplify it all.  It'll make everything a hell of a lot faster to code again later on since there's no shortcut for it this way unfortunately, and such, it just means going back and deleting/modifying a bunch of "Show/Move Picture" commands.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:46:43 AM by Garlyle »

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »
Someone's been playing too much Touhou Puppet Play.   ::)

I mean me btw.  :V

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2010, 11:58:38 AM »
Someone's been playing too much Touhou Puppet Play.   ::)

I mean me btw.  :V
Well that's good because I stopped playing it a few months ago XD

I still think they're wonderful sprites though XD

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2010, 12:01:48 PM »
Really? So did I. I only said me cause I played it for about 12 hours straight. And yes the sprites are good.

I like the bonus exp idea. Reminds me a bit of Fire Emblem just without having it in a separate pool so you can use it on your characters.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2010, 01:29:24 PM »
That's sort of the intent.  It can actually trigger up a level mid-battle, too, which could be a nice little reprieve.  I'm still debating whether or not to have it reduce based on time - if I do, it sort of rewards overgrinding in a way.  But, I'll figure something out, I'm sure.

A still screenshot can't accurately capture an animation, but damned if I'm not going to try.

I'm still changing things around, but that bar on the left 'shrinks' in place of the portrait that used to be in the corner now, to determine what boss or bosses is/are busy casting the spellcard at the moment (This can be really important in a number of multiple-character-at-once fights later on)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2010, 04:01:58 PM »
Dumping items for more tactical options sounds win. Touhou labyrinth was cool partially because of how much more depth it got for losing item and gaining focus IMO. That and making the fight command gimp.

What is tasfro btw, that an artists name? I personally don't really know how to hunt for certain kinds of Touhou images myself. As for Rin, he better not be the super uber manly character like in labyrinth. Not that I have a problem with him, it's not his fault he is the weaker sex. But silly unrealistic fantasies about men dominating things should be kept outside of Gensokyo.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2010, 01:14:39 AM »
Dumping items for more tactical options sounds win. Touhou labyrinth was cool partially because of how much more depth it got for losing item and gaining focus IMO. That and making the fight command gimp.

What is tasfro btw, that an artists name? I personally don't really know how to hunt for certain kinds of Touhou images myself. As for Rin, he better not be the super uber squeezably soft character like in labyrinth. Not that I have a problem with him, it's not his fault he is the weaker sex. But silly unrealistic fantasies about men dominating things should be kept outside of Gensokyo.
Hahah, well, the fight command is still usable in this game, but yeah, skills are still by far the superior choice for damage dealing.

Tasofro means Tasogare Frontier, aka "The IaMP/SWR/UNL team"  I'm trying to use portraits that at least resemble that style.  The actual artist is named Alphes and I've built up a good number of images that resemble that style, but I'm still missing a good-quality Kana (I have one but it's really bad quality) and any-quality of Akyuu, and these are... a little important XD

Also, Rinnosuke plays a support role rather than being Ze Ubermannosuke of Doom and/or using Planck Theory.  He actually is terrible with danmaku still, so he instead uses tools that he brought from the human world as his spellcards - as such, he starts off with his ability to identify things (Which functions as a Scan/Libra-type skill) and a first aid kit!  He's got above-average Intelligence and roughly average everything else, but he has to use his strength to attack, so... yeah.  He's not a damage dealer at all in this one, at least not when you first get him, and evne then, the attack spellcards he does get later on are somewhat inaccurate and uncontrollable, though capable of good damage if the RNG's looking in your favour.

EDIT: I got a proper bead on what I still have to do tonight, and due to a decision to change a few events to occur later in the tower, I'm actually at a point where all the mapping is done for the floor.  I just need to actually update the events to work again now that I've changed filenames and organized crap better, do a bit of image editing/cleanup, rewrite the bosses from scratch/fix encounter difficulty, fix a couple lingering things with the scripts (Still got decimal damage 8D), write up some added flavour, edit eqiupment, and probably build some animations... and I'll actually be... possibly done?

Hmm, okay, that's still a fair amount to do, but it's nice to be able to pin down a to-do list.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:31:42 AM by Garlyle »

necorelli

• i'll stab you with an end pin
    • twitter
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2010, 02:51:49 AM »
this looks quite interesting. Nice.
my cello is a bit too big

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
Well, HELLO THERE, PROGRESS.  HOW ARE YOU TODAY?

I'M FINE, THANK YOU.

I can't believe I'm actually getting somewhere with this.  Jumped a coding hurdle with ease that I thought would be a beast to decode, managed to dig up very nice looking Kana and Akyu portraits to use (The out-of-place Kana one, as nice as it was, is now gone), spellcards are working great except for one little issue I still need to deal with, and I came up with an answer to the items system which is actually fairly simple, but allows the player a great deal of rewards.

Basically, a certain NPC in the game offers her fluffy magic shop early in the game, where the player can trade in accumulated points.  Did I say points?  Yes, I did.  Instead of enemies dropping gold, enemies can now drop either Faith or Point items, among other things (rare equipment, other item types).  Faith points work as the score multiplier in previous games - as you build up more and more Faith items, the value of your individual Point items increases, to a maximum based on your current floor.  Then, each point item you turn over to the shopkeeper is refunded for that value of points.  These points can then be used to purchase items - but what you're getting is up to fate!  She sells items based on the furthest floor you've completed, and can sell almost any item you could find on that floor... but what she gives you is random from all of that junk!  Still, you might get some valuable stuff.

There's other items you can collect too, including Power/Gauge items which can be used on the field to restore health or MP when there's no healing around.  There's other goods that serve other purposes, including a bartering system with other NPCs later on, or affecting certain points in gameplay.  Suffice to say there's a lot of stuff being used from the previous Touhou games, and a lot of stuff to find, all of which eventually turns into access to additional challenges, spells, equipment, and items for you to use.

On another note, I decided to get rid of "Gaining spells by levelling".  Characters will start off with their full spell arsenal now, excluding their Last Spell, which must be learned through a specific method that is completely related to the aforementioned 'other item types'.

Also, once I actually go back and recode enemy behaviour patterns and especially the bosses, this game will actually be playable up to the end of the first floor.
...Christ, suddenly I feel like I'm getting somewhere with this!

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2010, 08:23:56 PM »
Cool.

Just to clarify, you gain faith points, which carry over new games, and the more you have, the more "normal" currency you get?

While the idea is kinda cool, honestly I'm not sure I like it because it will make the game easier on further playthrus, combined with better knowledge of the game, making it easy easier. Though I guess you can just erase that data if you like I suppose. Also, about healing on the field, I thought you healed back to full after battle (not sp though) Like Touhou laby? Or was that my imagination, did you change your mind? I personally don't think it really matters that much but I just think it'd be silly to have an item that heals you on the field when you're already at full health! >=P

Full spell list right from the start is fine by me. Promotes deeper strategy early game, which isn't a bad thing.

Also the fight command being useful isn't a problem. I'm just saying that it's not the op button in Touhou laby (or this game probably) as it is in final fantasy or whatever. I'm just betting this game isn't one where you go:
*ENEMY ENCOUNTER*
*player mashes ok button*
character one: fight
character two: fight
character three: fight
character four: fight
*characters massacre enemies, often in one turn*

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
Cool.

Just to clarify, you gain faith points, which carry over new games, and the more you have, the more "normal" currency you get?

While the idea is kinda cool, honestly I'm not sure I like it because it will make the game easier on further playthrus, combined with better knowledge of the game, making it easy easier. Though I guess you can just erase that data if you like I suppose. Also, about healing on the field, I thought you healed back to full after battle (not sp though) Like Touhou laby? Or was that my imagination, did you change your mind? I personally don't think it really matters that much but I just think it'd be silly to have an item that heals you on the field when you're already at full health! >=P

Full spell list right from the start is fine by me. Promotes deeper strategy early game, which isn't a bad thing.

Also the fight command being useful isn't a problem. I'm just saying that it's not the op button in Touhou laby (or this game probably) as it is in final fantasy or whatever. I'm just betting this game isn't one where you go:
*ENEMY ENCOUNTER*
*player mashes ok button*
character one: fight
character two: fight
character three: fight
character four: fight
*characters massacre enemies, often in one turn*
Actually, I think even if you go onto a New Game +, your Faith will still be limited by your "farthest location reached" in the tower.  You could consider it like a separate experience count in a way.

On the next note, I never said you'd be getting fully healed between battles.  Taking care of yourself is important in this game, and since there's only a couple specific spots on each floor where you can actually be freely healed up, crossing the stretch between these can be difficult.  There are actually going to be a couple characters (Including one basically focused on this) who are capable of "taking care" of the party specifically out of combat, granting limited healing after a battle or having powerful healing abilities they can only do outside of battle, etc. ; the healing items are more there to bolster that option.  If you're playing on Hard or especially Lunatic, they'll be even rarer on top of that (Hell you can probably forget about seeing Full Power items on Lunatic - and Extends on Hard and Lunatic - Extends being a "Retry this battle over again" button should you lose a boss battle)

As for the attack command...  As it stands, it was hanging in a situation where you could use it to kill stuff, but pretty much every character's alternative damage dealing options were both much more reliable and much more effective, and you'd be intaking some serious damage by neglecting your commands.  Especially upon first entering an area and facing its enemies, trying to kill them just with regular attacks would result in your party getting torn apart pretty quickly.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »
Sorry, still confused. Faith points in NG+ are still limited to how far you' e been in the tower?
Err doesn't ng+ mean you finished it?

Or can you ng+ whenever you like? Maybe it makes sense and i'm just dumb ATM, well I know I'm dumb ATM, I don't know if that's why I'm confused though=p.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
Sorry, still confused. Faith points in NG+ are still limited to how far you' e been in the tower?
Err doesn't ng+ mean you finished it?

Or can you ng+ whenever you like? Maybe it makes sense and i'm just dumb ATM, well I know I'm dumb ATM, I don't know if that's why I'm confused though=p.
I don't know either.  Right now I'm not worried about a new Game + anyway XD So I'll figure it out when the time comes.

It might just be a setup where you start with every character unlocked, but other than that it still plays like as though it was a new game on Hard or Lunatic.  Or something.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2010, 03:39:18 PM »
Whoops, almost slipped off the front page... and still no demo to show for it D:

But, I've sat down and confirmed that I can do a few fun things.  The two biggest ones worth noting are as follows:

*Unique Items: Each character is capable of obtaining up to four "Unique" items that are specific to them.  They can only use one at a time, but instead of simply affecting stats or resistances, etc., they have the effect of providing unique abilities to that specific character.  For instance, a great many of them directly boost the formulas on a specific spellcard to make it stronger, increase the power of a status effect, etcetera.; some have unusual effects too, such as one of Kana's weapons greatly increasing how random her actual damage output will be.

*Battle Speed: All characters have the same basic speed in this game now.  However, all spellcards and other actions that can be taken in battle now have a slightly different speed.  Since these are set in stone (With a few specific exceptions), you can essentially 'predict' turn order, because two rounds in which the same actions are performed will occur out in the same order.  Since this data is written right on the spell's descriptions, you can get a very good grasp of how the battle will play out in advance.

Those are the two big things.  It means I had to go back and overhaul skills, but this whole thing is looking so much better once again 8D

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »
Just an odd question, how many floors do you plan on making the tower have and thus when you unleash floor one on us how many characters will you be able to find there?
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2010, 03:38:53 AM »
Just an odd question, how many floors do you plan on making the tower have and thus when you unleash floor one on us how many characters will you be able to find there?
The number of floors is a secret.  8D

The number of characters recruitable so far, including the boss at the end of 1F, is 7 - however, you will have met ten characters by the end of 1F (Three important NPCs).  Each floor gives you roughly 4-7 more characters from then onwards; so 1F is more of a tutorial floor than anything.

I've been pondering going straight on to add 2F (Which is another... 6 characters) before releasing, but I'm not sure.  Since the groundwork is all there now, and stable, it's actually less work to create additional floors from now on.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:42:28 AM by Garlyle »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2010, 03:29:27 AM »
The number of floors is a secret.  8D

The number of characters recruitable so far, including the boss at the end of 1F, is 7 - however, you will have met ten characters by the end of 1F (Three important NPCs).  Each floor gives you roughly 4-7 more characters from then onwards; so 1F is more of a tutorial floor than anything.

I've been pondering going straight on to add 2F (Which is another... 6 characters) before releasing, but I'm not sure.  Since the groundwork is all there now, and stable, it's actually less work to create additional floors from now on.

I've been dying to give this a try for awhile. But currently I'm in the process of patching TPWEVO, and am playing the stuffing out of Eien no Aselia. So... A Selfish part of me hopes you don't yet because I don't want to be late >=p.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2010, 08:55:09 AM »
I've been dying to give this a try for awhile. But currently I'm in the process of patching TPWEVO, and am playing the stuffing out of Eien no Aselia. So... A Selfish part of me hopes you don't yet because I don't want to be late >=p.
To be honest, if people would rather I wait until I've completed 2F before releasing a demo... I think I'd be fine with that.