Author Topic: 東方百画志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star (Possibly dead?!)  (Read 102694 times)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Re: Wish Under Celestial Star (Touhou RPG)
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 02:44:12 PM »
Garlyle, I have a request. For some characters, could you give moves that reference Shrine Maiden users? Like giving Letty "Ban Hammer" or giving Utsuho "The Seven Songs"(Tales of the Abyss reference) or something like that? This is of course, completly optional, and is mainly for a few laughs, but if it isn't to much trouble, I, and some other Shrine Maiden users, would love to see that happen.

Ijiyatsu project is over there.....

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 03:22:27 PM »
You might see slight references here and there to things, but don't expect too much!

...And at the same time as I say "Don't expect things", actually starting this thread has gotten me actually doing stuff in developping the game.  Having an actually fully playable opening makes me feel like I'm finally getting somewhere.

There's still a few steps to go, and I know for sure I'm waiting on StB2 if not just to see new spellcards for the later half of the cast, but... well, there's actually some form of progress.

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »
Wow that sounds like a big project. One word of advice from someone with a similar project is start small and then expand outwards. For example you probably should pick a few characters to start with and figure them out before you try expanding to the whole touhouverse. From experience I learned that people want a working a bug free Reimu before they care if Kana Arabel is in the game or not. With that said I look forward to the release of a demo and good luck to you.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »
Wow that sounds like a big project. One word of advice from someone with a similar project is start small and then expand outwards. For example you probably should pick a few characters to start with and figure them out before you try expanding to the whole touhouverse.

I have the same opinion...but I get the impression this isn't Garlyle's first  time doing something like this. In addition, stating he did most of the programming really makes me feel like it's actually going to reach some kind of release.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 01:47:58 AM »
Well, to be honest, it's something more like "I was able to modify what already existed to do this", thanks to some help, but I still have a great deal to discover and I know that it's all possible because the 'what existed' was designed in such a way that I can modify it myself.  Simply getting the four stat system working was probably the biggest hurdle I can encounter.

Also no, this isn't my first time working with the system XD I know my way around this program very well now.  And trust me, I'm doing it in steps.  I already know who shows up on what floor, so I'm working on things floor-by-floor as much as possible.  As opposed to one big game, it's more like (floor number hidden) here smaller games, each game introducing about 4-8 new characters as playable, new areas, new treasure, etc. - and so long as I continue to think about it like that, it's actually very easy to see goals ahead.

In truth, a project like this isn't quite as big as you'd think because I'm not completely working on it from scratch, but rather with an engine I'm already familiar with.  I'm saving myself a huge amount of work by, I must confess, 'borrowing' music and art from other sources, even though there's still a level of modification I have to complete to make it work.  I'm still working on this as a one-man team at present, so getting graphical or musical aspects to a level of perfect polish isn't too important, so it doesn't drag me down and I can continue on, fixing and rebalancing things as I find them.

That's the one thing I have definitely learned about creating games from my multiple attempts - create the basic structure, create the basic code to ensure it'll run, and -then- build the game in small steps, chunks at a time.  Working too long on any single aspect (coding, writing, eventing, databaseing, character creation, graphics editing, music, etc.) tends to become straining, but being able to go "Okay, good enough, let's move on!" and come back later to perfect it makes things far, far easier.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2010, 03:31:02 AM »
being able to go "Okay, good enough, let's move on!" and come back later to perfect it makes things far, far easier.

With that attitude, I am now certain that this entire project isn't a big pile of "where to start!" but more of a long series of smaller projects neatly packaged into 1 thingie :D

I'll be rooting for you Garlyle, I know you can do it.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 03:33:40 AM »
Orreries Sun: Super Nova-
Marisa x Mima combo. Mima and Marisa blow a sun up. Thats about the best way to put it.

Night Madness-
Mystia x Rumia x Reisen combo. You're now nightblind, it happens to be dark in here, and that rabbit has glowing god damned red eyes. Everywhere.

Welcome to Kourindou-
Rinnosuke x Yukari combo. Yukari gaps everyone to Kourindou, where Rinnosuke revs up his tank and runs everyone over offers fabulous deals and makes a profit off the enemy.

Hisoutenkou-
Suwako x Sanae combo. HISOUTENKOU, THE ETERNAL STEAM ENGINE! Piloted by Sanae. Bitches gonna get stepped on.

Sylvester and Tweety-
Chen x Aya combo. Chen chases Aya. All over the enemy's face. The two ham it up the entire way.

Living House-
Yukari x Kana combo. Yukari gaps in furniture for Kana to poltergeist toss at the enemy.

Spin Spin Spin~-
Ran x Hina combo. The two spin straight into the enemy's face.

Water Park-
Daiyousei x Nitori combo. Daiyousei and Nitori create the world's largest water park. It promptly collapses.

War of the Three Shrines-
Yukari x Byakuren x Kanako combo. The three end up fighting eachother. The enemy is sadly caught in the middle.

Good Luck, Bad Luck-
Hina x Tewi combo. Tewi uses Hina as a hammer. Good News is its an effective attack, Bad news is Hina doesn't turn into a hammer.

Infinite Doll Creation-
Yukari x Alice combo. Yukari gives Alice a bunch of dolls. Take a guess what happens next.

Disinfectant Please-
Daiyousei x Rinnosuke combo. Daiyousei needs more medical supplies, so who else to turn to but Rinnosuke? She trips and spills the healing all over everyone in just the way to heal them.

Underdogs-
Momiji x Reisen combo. Reisen turns Momiji into RABID MOMIJI. Momiji proceeds to maul everyone.

River Guide-
Daiyousei x Komachi combo. Daiyousei alters the Sanzu River's path to cross the enemy, letting Komachi drive a boat into them.

Slightly bored I was, me thinks.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 05:06:22 AM »
River Guide-
Daiyousei x Komachi combo. Daiyousei alters the Sanzu River's path to cross the enemy, letting Komachi drive a boat into them.

I am trying to picture that, but all I get is Komachi on a row-boat using her Touhou Soccer 2 Higan Retour on the target D:

Also, isn't Daiyousei just a more powerful Fairy? I don't think she was even given an element to run with in EoSD.

But yeah, I'd say these moves were created by boredom xD

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 05:41:03 AM »
Also, isn't Daiyousei just a more powerful Fairy? I don't think she was even given an element to run with in EoSD.

Daiyousei also joins very early into the first floor (I gave her the ability to 'manipulate water currents', and as such she has water spells and affinities.

>.> *coughcough*

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 06:09:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm doing the possibly taboo by trying to assign actual powers to the various characters who are known but don't have them (The PC-98-specific cast, Daiyousei, Koakuma, etc.)
(I'm also taking suggestions for that too)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:37:16 AM by Garlyle »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 07:15:09 AM »
Your game, whatever you say goes. Screw fangasms and silly inserts.

What style of art are you looking for? I *may* be able to offer someone.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 07:30:12 AM »
Your game, whatever you say goes. Screw fangasms and silly inserts.
Hahah, that's kinda the way I'm taking it XD The biggest thing for me is that I need creating this game to be fun for me, because if it stops being... well, I'll just give up the project and move on to something else.

What style of art are you looking for? I *may* be able to offer someone.
For the most part, I'm using the Tasofro/mock-Tasofro/Tasofro-esque artworks for characters.  There's obviously a few where I can't track them down or they simply don't exist, but I'll do fine...

except for the OCs, which I don't think I'll need for a bit, but if there's someone who can even vaguely do that style...

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 08:17:22 AM »
A full set of Tasofro style is asking quite a bit. How about a full set of originals?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 09:13:36 AM »
A full set of Tasofro style is asking quite a bit. How about a full set of originals?

Maybe.  There's only about 4 (I think it's four at present) OCs involved in the story, at least two of which I won't even need art for until pretty much the very end.

Anyway, none of them show up until at least the... third or fourth floor?  So yeah.  I'm not worried about that right now.

Chaore

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »
I am trying to picture that, but all I get is Komachi on a row-boat using her Touhou Soccer 2 Higan Retour on the target D:

Imagine getting rammed into by a river, then getting hit by a rowboat the moment you manage to surface.

Pretty much what I'm thinking.

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2010, 03:22:11 AM »
It's good to hear things are coming along with your game. What is your philosophy with using different characters, is it
1.I would like the advantages and disadvantages of different characters to be important enough that you should switch out certain characters in certain fights (like chrono trigger)
2.The differences in characters are mostly cosmetic, I designed this game so you could play your favorite character.

Also you game has my interest really peaked. When are you coming out with a demo?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2010, 04:33:32 AM »
Both.  On easier difficulties, you can freely use whichever characters you want, pretty much.
If you're going in on Hard, and especially Lunatic, taking the wrong characters into a battle will probably result in them being very constantly dead.

It's hard to -force- a configuration when there's 90-ish characters, but I'm designing the game in such a way that for those intending on playing Hard (Which is what I'm actually focusing the design at), you will definitely be aided by bringing in characters who can exploit a boss' weaknesses and resist their strengths.

Think of it like Touhou Labyrinth was.  Things got a lot easier by bringing in the right people, but in reality, any team could do pretty much anything - some just required you to grind more.

That's the objective anyway.  If you're playing on Normal or Elementary School Student Easy, you can take whoever you want.  But if you play on Easy, nobody's going to take you seriously.

There won't be a demo until At Least Double Spoiler's release, because I'm interested in the new spellcards for post-9 characters and want to integrate them.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:18:59 PM by Garlyle »

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2010, 08:14:30 AM »
1.I would like the advantages and disadvantages of different characters to be important enough that you should switch out certain characters in certain fights (like chrono trigger)

(like chrono trigger)

Wat? You could use the same party for the entire game and get by just fine, unless it involved 0 chars with decent healing moves, and even then the game is still very plausible.

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »
Wat? You could use the same party for the entire game and get by just fine, unless it involved 0 chars with decent healing moves, and even then the game is still very plausible.
I used chrono trigger as an example because in that game there were certain sections that worked better with certain characters and in more interesting ways than just being weak to a certain element for example having Lucca burn goblin mallets in a certain mountain while in another all your equipment is stolen and you pretty much need Ayla.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »
It's not my game but I think it's safe to say you can use all the characters thru the whole game provided your entire party is balanced/compliments each other due to the party size of 6... 6 is enough people that everyone should be able toutilize their strengths on every fight. Some areas may require better def tanks on average, or more status ailment healer, but as long as you have at least one dude of each major role, the game if reasonably balanced probably let's you use that party the whole game.

I agree ct is a bad example though =p

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 02:27:31 AM »
I used chrono trigger as an example because in that game there were certain sections that worked better with certain characters and in more interesting ways than just being weak to a certain element for example having Lucca burn goblin mallets in a certain mountain while in another all your equipment is stolen and you pretty much need Ayla.

Good point, that place is easier plausible to complete with Lucca, while the other area is just longer to no end without Ayla, so she speeds it up.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2010, 04:44:24 AM »
It's not my game but I think it's safe to say you can use all the characters thru the whole game provided your entire party is balanced/compliments each other due to the party size of 6... 6 is enough people that everyone should be able toutilize their strengths on every fight. Some areas may require better def tanks on average, or more status ailment healer, but as long as you have at least one dude of each major role, the game if reasonably balanced probably let's you use that party the whole game.
You pretty much nailed it.  That was the reasoning behind a party of 6.  Even if you want a party that has the entirity of Team 9 (Who are frankly fairly varied between them, actually), you've still got room to throw two more characters in to make up for any lacking areas in your party composition.

Ah, I got all the opening cutscenes and stuff done, maybe I should work on actually plotting out the first floor of the tower's layout now... yeah, maybe I'll do that at work tonight 8D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:51:54 AM by Garlyle »

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »
If you want Tasofro IaMP and SWR style art, you can ask Formless God in Alice's Artist Haven. He does a lot of art in that style.

There are also plenty of other artists there who would happily provide you with any art needed. I'd offer to do some myself but I'm a little bogged down with work atm XD

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, that'll come in real handy 8D

Also: Progress is actually happening.  It's kind of amazing how easy it is to forget that when I sit down and actually work at stuff, I make stuff happen.  That probably sounds really stupid, but...

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »
You know what sucks about RPG maker? (maybe the only thing that sucks) THE LEVELS STOP AT 99!!

Any good game should cap at 9999. And we all know that. :<

...or maybe I play too many NIS games...

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
You know what sucks about RPG maker? (maybe the only thing that sucks) THE LEVELS STOP AT 99!!

Any good game should cap at 9999. And we all know that. :<

...or maybe I play too many NIS games...
You're not familiar with RPG Maker enough if you think that's the case 8D

ChaoStar

• Dark History Boy
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
You're not familiar with RPG Maker enough if you think that's the case 8D

wait what! (actually, I just started coding with RPG maker a few days ago. :< )

But I use the XP one. So um.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2010, 03:58:01 AM »

This is what I think of your puny level 99 max and 999-stat max.
Level goes up to 999 (though frankly you probably won't go beyond about 200-250, estimated, at present) and stats go up to... well... really goddamn high.

(I really should go and fix that decimal damage thing...)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:00:44 AM by Garlyle »

Chaore

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2010, 04:14:27 AM »
*KANAHAETLEVELLIMIT*

Goodness. I had no idea they actually ascended to that level of crazyness.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2010, 04:39:28 AM »
Only because I've modified things to do that XD