Author Topic: Fantasy Crescendo ~ Rumble Dream Ensemble (Touhou Smash Bros.)  (Read 79181 times)

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
Re: Genso Shojokosen (Touhou Smash Bros.)
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2015, 05:47:05 AM »
I wonder if Wriggle will have some Captain Falcon inspired moves.
That Captain Falcon spot is reserved for Mokou. Cause she's on the same fire.
(*something something shameless plug*)

By the way, you might wanna add a link to the poll in the OP.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:49:07 AM by Spotty Ren »

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2015, 06:18:44 AM »

Done.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2015, 06:27:29 AM »
That Captain Falcon spot is reserved for Mokou. Cause she's on the same fire.
(*something something shameless plug*)

Eh, I was mostly referring the amount of kick related moves Ol Falcon has.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2015, 07:09:36 AM »
Hello, everyone! Savory here! I've put off mentioning this here until the flames started by the group who shall not be named had petered out. I think now is a good time to announce this.

A group of Touhou fans (yours truly included) have begun to work on our own Touhou x Smash Bros. fan game called Genso Shojokosen: Battle Maiden (working title). While the game will run on the OpenSmash engine (http://www.gamedev.net/classifieds/item/4205-opensmash/), we are currently looking for members to move the progress of the game's creation along.
Excuse me Savory :3
How can i talk to you, i don't want a fight, or argue with you, actually i'm interested in the project :3
is there a way to talk to you more properly?
Thank you for the announcement (i know i do this comment twice but maybe he didn't see my message XD)

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2015, 07:17:23 AM »
    I take it this won't be the primary mode of development then? ie, you will have a core team with set goals and objectives.

Of course, we will have a main team working on the game with direct access to the main repository. However, those changes we make and the decisions to add/remove content are public, and can be commented on, expanded upon, changed, or removed in forks, just like any other open source project.

It was my decision to make this open source, for good reason. I decompiled the assemblies included in TSSB. (Rest assured, none of the code that is present now in the repository is copied from FSS. This was purely for the sake of understanding how they approached the development of such a game). Needless to say, Saijee/FSS's code was absolutely atrocious. It was completely unmaintainable from the get-go. No wonder he took so long to develop so little. I want to avoid such a situation as much as possible. Having it open encourages more community involvement in the development, and public critique and review of changes makes for a better managed code and better received game. It also made our intentions of never commercializing the game very clear. Plus, everyone likes free shit, right?

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2015, 08:52:02 AM »
Hey could you pm me your skype, i can't seem to pm you. Thanks!

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 01:25:18 PM »
Excuse me Savory :3
How can i talk to you, i don't want a fight, or argue with you, actually i'm interested in the project :3
is there a way to talk to you more properly?

I assume you're unable to message me?

Hey could you pm me your skype, i can't seem to pm you. Thanks!

Do you mean me or James?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
Hello to all the new people posting here or signing up at MotK.

Always enjoyable for me to see interested people and guests signing up as members, how ever the restrictions for PM / posting are all with a certain reason. Previous page I already noted (and responded) for such "complaints" though they are clearly reported in the rules.

If you're truly interested and decide to hang around, it won't be hard to get rid of those restrictions fast.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Helepolis

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »
You...don't need one...  ???

Really? I've tried a couple different things, but it always just sends me to a page that tells me to make an account to access the form.

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
I assume you're unable to message me?

Yes xD, and i really want to talk to you about the project, is there a way to talk to you?
salu2 :3

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »
Hey Savory, I have PMd your inbox a few days ago but the message seems didn't reach somehow, so I guess I will just post directly onto a thread then '3'
An artist has asked me to forward his message of interest in this project. *He doesn't have a MoTK account so he has asked me to relay for him*
This is his portfolio: http://shrapnel-sama.deviantart.com/
He wishes to partake in this project as well and that if he could be of help, please contact him at either his DA account or FB page facebook.com/vinson.chu

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
Hey Savory, I have PMd your inbox a few days ago but the message seems didn't reach somehow, so I guess I will just post directly onto a thread then '3'
An artist has asked me to forward his message of interest in this project. *He doesn't have a MoTK account so he has asked me to relay for him*
This is his portfolio: http://shrapnel-sama.deviantart.com/
He wishes to partake in this project as well and that if he could be of help, please contact him at either his DA account or FB page facebook.com/vinson.chu

I actually received your email (along with many others, which I did not notice because they found their way into my Junk folder) and have responded accordingly.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
Alrighty, folks! As of now, we have reached 500 votes on the poll and counting! Thanks a lot for your enthusiasm!

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2015, 07:33:15 PM »
Alrighty, folks! As of now, we have reached 500 votes on the poll and counting! Thanks a lot for your enthusiasm!

prays for Yuyuko

Giratina93

• The Great Titan of a Lost Realm
  • Behold, the Dark Lord of Distortion sees all
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2015, 05:10:07 AM »
Come on, Shinki and Yuuka! I expect you both to get some glorious fighting spots here!

Really, this already looks alot better than the previous take on a Touhou smash bros game. Color me interested.
Why... why must weak humans destroy their world? Why can they not preserve that which they see so dear to them? Why must all life perish before immortality?

« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2015, 04:48:08 PM »
Well, never mind my previous problems at voting, got that resolved.

So here's hoping Sumireko, Seija and/or Rika make it in. Also really looking forward to seeing some gameplay footage.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »
Sukuna, Miko, and Reisen pwease.~
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2015, 02:54:34 AM »
Small progress post. Regarding the base game engine, as of now, we have the following working parts finished:
  • Standard Smash camera control.
  • Multiplayer input.
  • Basic walking (no dashing yet).
  • Jumping, including a variable number of mid air jumps (for winged individuals).
  • Danmaku attacks (courtesy of DanmakU)
  • Death and respawn
  • Pausing - half working.
  • Basic stage construction.
  • Ledge grabbing.
  • Jump-through platforms.

All of these "work" in that they work in the barebones sense at the current moment. We don't have any non-danmaku attacks for now, and damage/knockback don't work currently, but we are working on them.

Oh and from a while back we received some menus designs:

Courtesy of Kaze_Senshi. Those names were from way back in February, when this project was in it's "planning stages", so none of them outside of the three we mentioned are thus far confirmed for development.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2015, 03:42:37 AM »
Pfft, Paz is still gonna spin it for his namu-propaganda. :V
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:46:01 AM by Leon゠Helsing »

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2015, 07:01:10 AM »
Oh and from a while back we received some menus designs:
There's already someone working on menus and UI? Does the current development team have a design in mind?

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2015, 07:22:35 AM »
There's already someone working on menus and UI? Does the current development team have a design in mind?

It's pretty easy to do menus and UI in Unity. Most of it can be done without a single line of code.  Though a complex thing like Smash's character select isn't a short task. For now all we have are preliminary designs or layouts, nothing more. All of the menu functionality needs to be coded.

Also, we're trying our hardest to keep the game scalable and maintainable. One of my goals is to write the code so that all one needs to do to make a new character is add the assets in the right places and fill in a few fields, so stuff like automatically populating the roster based on present character data is on our todo list.

As for design choices, we're trying to stick to the original Smash menu design, though if anyone has any alternatives, we're glad to hear/see them.

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »
Pfft, Paz is still gonna spin it for his namu-propaganda. :V
Impossibru, even I can't sell something as non-publishable as "early rough concept design menu from Feb, none except 3 is confirmed for actual development" =3=
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:35:48 PM by Paz legalces »

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »
I'd love to help but I don't know what I could do
Maybe something music related?

Also, might I suggest a Vivit alt for Marisa?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:46:52 PM by wobuffet3 »

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2015, 07:09:06 AM »
As of just a moment ago, we have officially cut all ties with OpenSmash. Why one may ask? The reason is twofold:
  • OpenSmash was intending to be funded by a crowdfunding campaign in the near future. Something we clearly do not want to be associated with, especially after the whole fiasco with TSSB.
  • OpenSmash was simultaneously an engine for Smash-like games, and a exact carbon copy of Smash Bros (Melee/Brawl/4). This included reimplementing all of the characters originally in Super Smash Bros, a decision we felt would ultimately lead to a cease and desist by Nintendo. Being associated/co-developed with such a project would likely put us in the blast radius.

After asking for them to change their direction and considerations, we found no compromise and subsequently cut all ties.

What does this mean for the project? A few minor setbacks. All OpenSmash contributed code has been removed from our codebase, and vice versa. This includes ledge grabbing and a number of other features. This will set us back when it comes to the programming for the engine, as these features would need to be reimplemented. This will take some additional time, unfortunately, but nothing too serious.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:13:50 AM by james7132 »

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2015, 07:17:01 AM »
Hello everyone!
I'm a character artist for the team currently working on Marisa, Reimu, and Wriggle. Modeling is going smooth and we wanted to share some of our Progress with everyone!

Here is a WIP image of our Marisa model:

Thank you everyone for your great support!  :3

Drake

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2015, 07:23:15 AM »
You made appropriate choices, unfortunately. I very much agree with these conclusions and find it strange that they would think implementing Nintendo IP into their project would actually slide, rather than making a generic engine and a solid API to push characters on top of (even making a "direct copy" of the mechanics is potentially sketchy: see any recent lawsuit between companies regarding claims of patented game mechanics). If they want to crowdfund such a project and gamble with other people's money in front of Nintendo, they're playing with live wires.

Well, I guess this also answers my earlier question.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2015, 03:53:26 PM »
  • OpenSmash was intending to be funded by a crowdfunding campaign in the near future. Something we clearly do not want to be associated with, especially after the whole fiasco with TSSB.
Yikes, that won't end well.

I agree, you were better off cutting ties with that project. Good luck for the rest.

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2015, 01:23:36 AM »
After asking for them to change their direction and considerations, we found no compromise and subsequently cut all ties.

It's a shame you lose all that code, but I I'm with you on this. It sounds like you have your priorities on order.

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2015, 05:47:27 AM »
could you pm me your skype, Savory?
Thanks

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2015, 06:24:31 AM »
could you pm me your skype, Savory?
Thanks

And done.