Author Topic: Touhou Kart!  (Read 82281 times)

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Re: Touhou Kart!
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2013, 07:59:08 PM »
So many Reimus @_@

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »
I got a question regarding of the video Loe.

Is the smoke around the AI and you supposed to be a hazard?
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2013, 08:28:11 PM »

Looking forward to...everything!  My offer still stands when/if you're ready to put me to work.

also, zferolie, the program I recommend most is FL Studio, from one musician to another.  Takes a bit of learning, but pretty simple when you figure it out.  Hope that helps :)

FL Studio huh? I'll check it out, thanks.

I got a question regarding of the video Loe.

Is the smoke around the AI and you supposed to be a hazard?

I think that is an item based off the Scarlet Mist. Each character seems to have an item based on them, like Cirno's ice block, and Yukari's Gap. I am curious what Yukari's gap does. Does it teleport you to the front? make someone behind you respawn?

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »
I think that is an item based off the Scarlet Mist. Each character seems to have an item based on them, like Cirno's ice block, and Yukari's Gap. I am curious what Yukari's gap does. Does it teleport you to the front? make someone behind you respawn?
Huh... that makes sense to me.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Hoeloe

• Chasing fading vapour trails...
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »
FL Studio huh? I'll check it out, thanks.

You're absolutely correct! Each character has an item based on one of their abilities or spell cards. In fact, there's a little extra detail in that all spell cards have a "max" version, which is slightly more powerful then their normal one. However, if you get the spell card associated with your character, then it's ALWAYS the max version, regardless of your power level!

The gap acts as the "blue shell". It goes after the person in first, and forces them to respawn (in the video, I went into first when I got one to show off what it does). It can, however, be dodged if you're careful.

I am glad to see the gameplay it self being developed. Always a pleasure to see people focussing on the core of a project instead of the "nice looks". Though this looks very promising so far.

I noticed though one thing, not sure if you did it intentional or is under development: You seem to have weird control over your kart. Sometimes perfect controlling with instant-grip in cornering?

Thanks. I always prefer to get some look down, but focus mainly on the engine, because unless a game plays well, fancy looks won't make it work. I'm sure quite what you mean. Turning without drifting may look as though it's giving this effect, but the purpose is to give you high-control turning without drifting, but to be slower and not allow as sharp turns, while drifting is faster, and lets you make really sharp corners. There is also handbrake turning, which allows for very high grip, very sharp turns, but at the cost of speed. If I've misunderstood, please correct me, because I want to get this right, and if there's some other flaw I haven't spotted, then it would be good to know!

Question, not sure how much help I could be, but if I wanted to try and make music(which I really haven't done much of, only slight work in college), what would be a good program to use? And what Program are you using? What Coding Language?

Well, help is always appreciated. My plan is for each track to be associated with one character, and the music for each track to be a remix of that character's theme, in a more Mario Kart-esque style. I'm using a game engine called Unity (only the free version, as I can't afford the full one, however much it would help), which supports 3 languages: Boo (Unity's own language), UnityScript (a more strongly-typed version of Javascript) and C# (which is the one I'm using for all my script, as I'm most familiar with it).

I'm surprised how far it looks like you've gotten. Good job. Of course that may just be textures.

How does the AI in a game like this even work?

Thanks. The textures do a lot, but most of the work has gone into the engine.

Glad you asked, the AI is quite simple, actually. There are a series of "bars" laid out along the track, with 3 points defined on each. The AIs will each aim for one of these points (3 provides some variety in how they move) on the next bar, and when they pass it, they then start aiming for a point on the next one. There are a few extra details to make them recover from driving into walls, when they need to drift, etc.. The drifting was what took the most time, as it was a nightmare to make them aim in the right direction even most of the time. It's still not perfect, but I think it will do, especially since this test track is a little narrower than the majority of the actual tracks will be.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:21:00 PM by Hoeloe »
Touhou Kart? Touhou Kart.

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2013, 11:25:14 PM »
For steering, wouldn't you consider doing something like Mario Kart Wii, with Automatic Turning (can't drift, but there is absolutely no penalty for turning) And Manual (You can barely steer, but you can actually drift)?

The nova of the ocean of the cleverness

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2013, 11:30:50 PM »
You're absolutely correct! Each character has an item based on one of their abilities or spell cards. In fact, there's a little extra detail in that all spell cards have a "max" version, which is slightly more powerful then their normal one. However, if you get the spell card associated with your character, then it's ALWAYS the max version, regardless of your power level!

The gap acts as the "blue shell". It goes after the person in first, and forces them to respawn (in the video, I went into first when I got one to show off what it does). It can, however, be dodged if you're careful.

Thanks. I always prefer to get some look down, but focus mainly on the engine, because unless a game plays well, fancy looks won't make it work. I'm sure quite what you mean. Turning without drifting may look as though it's giving this effect, but the purpose is to give you high-control turning without drifting, but to be slower and not allow as sharp turns, while drifting is faster, and lets you make really sharp corners. There is also handbrake turning, which allows for very high grip, very sharp turns, but at the cost of speed. If I've misunderstood, please correct me, because I want to get this right, and if there's some other flaw I haven't spotted, then it would be good to know!

Well, help is always appreciated. My plan is for each track to be associated with one character, and the music for each track to be a remix of that character's theme, in a more Mario Kart-esque style. I'm using a game engine called Unity (only the free version, as I can't afford the full one, however much it would help), which supports 3 languages: Boo (Unity's own language), UnityScript (a more strongly-typed version of Javascript) and C# (which is the one I'm using for all my script, as I'm most familiar with it).

Thanks. The textures do a lot, but most of the work has gone into the engine.

Glad you asked, the AI is quite simple, actually. There are a series of "bars" laid out along the track, with 3 points defined on each. The AIs will each aim for one of these points (3 provides some variety in how they move) on the next bar, and when they pass it, they then start aiming for a point on the next one. There are a few extra details to make them recover from driving into walls, when they need to drift, etc.. The drifting was what took the most time, as it was a nightmare to make them aim in the right direction even most of the time. It's still not perfect, but I think it will do, especially since this test track is a little narrower than the majority of the actual tracks will be.

How does one get a max version of the skill? I wasn't able to tell. And what are all the planned items, and will the unlockable characters have items/tracks of their own?

Also, my friend is upset that Tewi has a story yet reisen doesn't. I told him it's because she is a useless fanservice rabbit, but how hard would it be for them to have a story?

well, if I can get a decent music program, like the one recommened, I'll try my hand at making Tewi's theme. No promises though. And C# huh? I used that and C++ and Visual Basic at college. And how much is the non-free version of this program?

Hoeloe

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2013, 12:04:55 AM »
For steering, wouldn't you consider doing something like Mario Kart Wii, with Automatic Turning (can't drift, but there is absolutely no penalty for turning) And Manual (You can barely steer, but you can actually drift)?

Well, currently there is no penalty for turning, just that you can't turn very sharply. I've always preferred the CTR style of control to MK, which only has the one setting, in which it's perfectly possible to play the game without drifting at all, but you can get much faster lap times by doing so.

How does one get a max version of the skill? I wasn't able to tell. And what are all the planned items, and will the unlockable characters have items/tracks of their own?

Also, my friend is upset that Tewi has a story yet reisen doesn't. I told him it's because she is a useless fanservice rabbit, but how hard would it be for them to have a story?

well, if I can get a decent music program, like the one recommened, I'll try my hand at making Tewi's theme. No promises though. And C# huh? I used that and C++ and Visual Basic at college. And how much is the non-free version of this program?

Max versions are acquired by collecting Power boxes. Once you reach max power, the max versions of all spell cards are available. All the items planned have now been made. Most were shown in that video, and I think all of them have at least a screenshot now. There are 17 items in total, two more than the number of playable characters. Unlockable characters will also have tracks and items of their own (or at least, it's currently planned that way).

Tewi doesn't really have a "story" as such. The "story" mode is more like the adventure mode in CTR; that is, select a character, do the same story as that character. The reason Reisen won't be playable in the story mode is that she is a boss character - she is unlockable and playable in multiplayer.

Thanks. I should warn you that I have fairly high standards (and I've already turned down one musician because the work produced didn't meet said standards), but it can't hurt to try!

I'm a big fan of C#. C++ can be a pain to deal with, and I haven't really used VB. C# nicely merges Java and C++, and it's definitely one of my favourite languages. The non-free version is about ?1200, with up to about ?300 extra for optional, yet helpful, packages.

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2013, 12:29:47 AM »
Well, currently there is no penalty for turning, just that you can't turn very sharply. I've always preferred the CTR style of control to MK, which only has the one setting, in which it's perfectly possible to play the game without drifting at all, but you can get much faster lap times by doing so.

Max versions are acquired by collecting Power boxes. Once you reach max power, the max versions of all spell cards are available. All the items planned have now been made. Most were shown in that video, and I think all of them have at least a screenshot now. There are 17 items in total, two more than the number of playable characters. Unlockable characters will also have tracks and items of their own (or at least, it's currently planned that way).

Tewi doesn't really have a "story" as such. The "story" mode is more like the adventure mode in CTR; that is, select a character, do the same story as that character. The reason Reisen won't be playable in the story mode is that she is a boss character - she is unlockable and playable in multiplayer.

Thanks. I should warn you that I have fairly high standards (and I've already turned down one musician because the work produced didn't meet said standards), but it can't hurt to try!

I'm a big fan of C#. C++ can be a pain to deal with, and I haven't really used VB. C# nicely merges Java and C++, and it's definitely one of my favourite languages. The non-free version is about ?1200, with up to about ?300 extra for optional, yet helpful, packages.

Ah, that makes sense. So it's like the coins in the first mario kart, but except to speeding you up and stopping you from spinning out, it powers up your attacks.

So, mind if I ask why you picked these characters? Tewi is not that loved sadly, so seeing her as a starting character surprised me.

Well, I have a feeling I won't meet your standards, but I'll try. C# I agree was the easiest and most user friendly for programming.

So.. that's over 1000 US right? jesus that's a lot.

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2013, 12:42:52 AM »
Don't complain about prices. 1200 Euros is around 3600BRL (My Country's currency) And the Minimum wage is 620BRL.
Seeing how everything around here tends to be WAY overpriced (even overpriced stuff around here gets even MORE overpriced) It would be probably over 5000BRL.
I HOPE I'm full of shit and that it doesn't cost that much.

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2013, 02:42:25 AM »
Don't complain about prices. 1200 Euros is around 3600BRL (My Country's currency) And the Minimum wage is 620BRL.
Seeing how everything around here tends to be WAY overpriced (even overpriced stuff around here gets even MORE overpriced) It would be probably over 5000BRL.

I didn't mean to offend. I meant  that all this tech costs so much money, It's hard to be an indie programmer...

Hoeloe

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »
Ah, that makes sense. So it's like the coins in the first mario kart, but except to speeding you up and stopping you from spinning out, it powers up your attacks.

So, mind if I ask why you picked these characters? Tewi is not that loved sadly, so seeing her as a starting character surprised me.

Well, I have a feeling I won't meet your standards, but I'll try. C# I agree was the easiest and most user friendly for programming.

A little, yes. It's based more on the wumpa fruit from CTR, though.

These characters were picked on 3 criteria: How much people like them, how much I like them, and how much they work thematically. The levels in adventure mode are segmented into "worlds". One is set around Hakurei Shrine, one is set around Eintei, one around Youkai Mountain, and one around Scarlet Devil Mansion. Tewi fitted rather nicely into the Eintei setting, for how I have it planned.

Using a quick online conversion, the price is about 4200 BRL (as the conversion rate between GBP and Euros isn't quite 1:1). The price for this engine is astoundingly cheap, compared to some. I looked into getting Havok a while ago, and their pricing was extreme, in the region of $40,000, if memory serves. I'm perfectly happy with the pricing of this, I just can't quite afford it.

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
Using a quick online conversion, the price is about 4200 BRL (as the conversion rate between GBP and Euros isn't quite 1:1). The price for this engine is astoundingly cheap, compared to some. I looked into getting Havok a while ago, and their pricing was extreme, in the region of $40,000, if memory serves. I'm perfectly happy with the pricing of this, I just can't quite afford it.
The site I used said it was 3600. Maybe its outdated.
Still, IT'S EXPENSIVE Even if not as expensive as some

I didn't mean to offend. I meant  that all this tech costs so much money, It's hard to be an indie programmer...
You didn't offend me. It's just that everything around here costls way to much compared to your country.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:18:37 AM by FamilyTeam »

Hoeloe

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
The site I used said it was 3600. Maybe its outdated.
Still, IT'S EXPENSIVE Even if not as expensive as some

True, but as someone who writes software like this, for what it is, ?1.2k is incredibly cheap, considering how much it can do, and the amount of effort involved in making something like this. In any case, the free version seems to have enough to be getting on with (though I wish I had the ability to render to a texture, as that feature is restricted to the full version).

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »
Alright, I have a rough draft for a Cirno track (hopefully I'm not being a baka myself and she is indeed playable; I forgot the list when I went home lol)
It appears to have had a fair portion of its length chopped off, so I'll try to bring the full version of the draft (lolwut) on Monday :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?3js2m92v52erksz
I may also have a Reimu theme ready on Monday if I step on it...no pun intended ^_^

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »
What program do you use to create the track.
I need one for my own project.
But I think that making an outline of the track is better to make the music fit.
You wouldn't want Cirno's rock theme to be in a calm, underwater stage.
But that's just my opinion.
Currently a normal player

Hoeloe

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »
Alright, I have a rough draft for a Cirno track (hopefully I'm not being a baka myself and she is indeed playable; I forgot the list when I went home lol)
It appears to have had a fair portion of its length chopped off, so I'll try to bring the full version of the draft (lolwut) on Monday :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?3js2m92v52erksz
I may also have a Reimu theme ready on Monday if I step on it...no pun intended ^_^

That sounds pretty good to me! It should fit pretty nicely. Just a little note, I don't mind how different the songs are from their original structure - it's more important that they fit the theme. This track is the sort of thing I had in mind for Reimu's theme, actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lle0HOL00qs

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »
Wait, Hoeloe... you are basically making a game, about Touhou, using expensive-arse tools and it's going to be free?
Jesus aren't you going to go bankrupt?

Hoeloe

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »
Wait, Hoeloe... you are basically making a game, about Touhou, using expensive-arse tools and it's going to be free?
Jesus aren't you going to go bankrupt?

I'm only using the free version so far, so I haven't paid a thing. This is actually somewhat of a side-project, while I work through pre-production of some original games.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
That sounds pretty good to me! It should fit pretty nicely. Just a little note, I don't mind how different the songs are from their original structure - it's more important that they fit the theme. This track is the sort of thing I had in mind for Reimu's theme, actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lle0HOL00qs
I'm not about to let U2 upstage me :O
Weekend goal: Dream Battle remix!  I'll show those Tasofro folks who's boss! >:D

Oh, thanks for the Cirno compliment, by the way :) I'll have the full full version for you on Monday.

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
So, I listened to your ideal music for reimu, and I wanted to know if you had an Idea for tewi's music?

Also, I had a suggestion for Tewi's track. It should be like Yoshi's Valley in Mario Kart 64. A track with many branching paths. That really would fit the Bamboo forest, but I can imagine that coding the AI for a stage like that may be difficult. If you could somehow change the paths for the forest for every lap that would be even more fitting, but that may be very hard to do...

Hoeloe

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »
So, I listened to your ideal music for reimu, and I wanted to know if you had an Idea for tewi's music?

Also, I had a suggestion for Tewi's track. It should be like Yoshi's Valley in Mario Kart 64. A track with many branching paths. That really would fit the Bamboo forest, but I can imagine that coding the AI for a stage like that may be difficult. If you could somehow change the paths for the forest for every lap that would be even more fitting, but that may be very hard to do...

I don't really have an idea for Tewi's track, except that it should probably use marimbas (I think it would fit). The Bamboo Forest level is one that I'm hoping will be in the rain, and include parts of the track in running water inside large bamboo tunnels, so you get some thematic ideas.

I may be able to do that... It would be incredibly difficult because of how I've set up the waypoint system, but might be possible if I'm careful...

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »
I don't really have an idea for Tewi's track, except that it should probably use marimbas (I think it would fit). The Bamboo Forest level is one that I'm hoping will be in the rain, and include parts of the track in running water inside large bamboo tunnels, so you get some thematic ideas.

I may be able to do that... It would be incredibly difficult because of how I've set up the waypoint system, but might be possible if I'm careful...

Hmm, interesting. Not sure if that program could do it, but maybe include the sound of those bamboo water things that fill with water and make that clinking sound might work somewhere. Once I download the program and play around with it, I'll give it a shot.

Now not sure if this could work, but maybe in that stage, depending on what rail/guidepost they hit, will depend on what path they take? Maybe you can include an If statment that only effects if they are in that stage, to make the guides work differently? Again, while I know C# and stuff, I am not sure how the coding in that program would effect anything.

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2013, 08:02:14 PM »

I already gave him the idea for a Yoshi's Valley like track but with the Youkai Mountain instead. I could work on the Bamboo Forest tough.
However, I think that a track that randomly generates itself every lap is... well... In kind words... a bad idea at best. I honestly think it would be worth the effort IMO.

« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »
I already gave him the idea for a Yoshi's Valley like track but with the Youkai Mountain instead. I could work on the Bamboo Forest tough.
However, I think that a track that randomly generates itself every lap is... well... In kind words... a bad idea at best. I honestly think it would be worth the effort IMO.

Ah, I must have missed your post about that. But yeah, I think it would fit the Bamboo forest more then Youkai mountain due to the nature of the bamboo forest. Off topic, but if somehow you could have rabbits jumping out as obstacles, that would be cool.

Well, it works in Sonic and Sega All Star's Racing transformed... but that is a much bigger budgeted game really...

Speaking of the Youkai Mountain, maybe it could be like the DK mountain stages, except there is no launcher. You drive up and down it. COuld be a really nice long cliffy track which could be very cool. Maybe drive through the Tengu area's, the Kappa Area, and the Moria Shrine and Hotspring.

Hoeloe

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
Hmm, interesting. Not sure if that program could do it, but maybe include the sound of those bamboo water things that fill with water and make that clinking sound might work somewhere. Once I download the program and play around with it, I'll give it a shot.

Now not sure if this could work, but maybe in that stage, depending on what rail/guidepost they hit, will depend on what path they take? Maybe you can include an If statment that only effects if they are in that stage, to make the guides work differently? Again, while I know C# and stuff, I am not sure how the coding in that program would effect anything.

I'd rather the music didn't include sound effects, as those will be added into the game and applied in the 3D scenario (so running water will sound louder the closer you are to it, etc. )

As for changing the AI like that, it's less about getting the AIs to follow the different routes, and more to do with how the waypoints are stored. I have a dictionary storing the waypoints in order, and a lot of the code relies on that, so using multiple waypoints at the same point is not possible, as they would require the same keys.

Ah, I must have missed your post about that. But yeah, I think it would fit the Bamboo forest more then Youkai mountain due to the nature of the bamboo forest. Off topic, but if somehow you could have rabbits jumping out as obstacles, that would be cool.

Well, it works in Sonic and Sega All Star's Racing transformed... but that is a much bigger budgeted game really...

Speaking of the Youkai Mountain, maybe it could be like the DK mountain stages, except there is no launcher. You drive up and down it. COuld be a really nice long cliffy track which could be very cool. Maybe drive through the Tengu area's, the Kappa Area, and the Moria Shrine and Hotspring.

Randomly generated terrain is possible, but not worth the effort for a single track, it's a very complicated process. As for Youkai Mountain, there are 3 tracks around that area. One is the foothills and the kappa area (Nitori's level), one is Moriya Shrine (Suwako's level) and one is the mountain heights, which will be Aya's level. The heights or Moriya Shrine could easily include the hotspring.

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2013, 02:09:18 AM »
I'd rather the music didn't include sound effects, as those will be added into the game and applied in the 3D scenario (so running water will sound louder the closer you are to it, etc. )

As for changing the AI like that, it's less about getting the AIs to follow the different routes, and more to do with how the waypoints are stored. I have a dictionary storing the waypoints in order, and a lot of the code relies on that, so using multiple waypoints at the same point is not possible, as they would require the same keys.

Randomly generated terrain is possible, but not worth the effort for a single track, it's a very complicated process. As for Youkai Mountain, there are 3 tracks around that area. One is the foothills and the kappa area (Nitori's level), one is Moriya Shrine (Suwako's level) and one is the mountain heights, which will be Aya's level. The heights or Moriya Shrine could easily include the hotspring.

Yeah, I didn't think you would want it in the music, but it would be a cool thing to have as a SE in the background.

Ah. so if there are multiple routes, the computer would have no way of reading/telling apart multiple waypoints. That stinks, but I understand. I guess a good alternative is just to have many short cuts for human players to take.

yeah, not worth it for one stage really. Those sound like interesting ideas for those 3 tracks. You said Yukari's was going to be like Rainbow road? I can't wait to see how nuts it is.

Hoeloe

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »
Yeah, I didn't think you would want it in the music, but it would be a cool thing to have as a SE in the background.

Ah. so if there are multiple routes, the computer would have no way of reading/telling apart multiple waypoints. That stinks, but I understand. I guess a good alternative is just to have many short cuts for human players to take.

yeah, not worth it for one stage really. Those sound like interesting ideas for those 3 tracks. You said Yukari's was going to be like Rainbow road? I can't wait to see how nuts it is.

Yukari isn't actually a playable character (at least, she's not currently planned), though she may well have a battle stage. I have 3 "Rainbow Road" style levels planned, which should be fun to make, but none of them is Yukari's.

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2013, 12:43:16 PM »
Yukari isn't actually a playable character (at least, she's not currently planned), though she may well have a battle stage. I have 3 "Rainbow Road" style levels planned, which should be fun to make, but none of them is Yukari's.

Ah. I guess I misread a previous post, plus also seeing Yukari's Gap as an item must have confused me.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »
Full version of Cirno theme, complete with it looping over once if you know how to work loop points :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?f1994elrnznx8rp

least, it should be.  If not, I'm killing a puppy when I go home today.