Author Topic: Mass Effect series  (Read 3583 times)

Acidus

Mass Effect series
« on: June 19, 2010, 01:53:48 AM »
I'm p sure some people play Mass Effect around here, and since the new DLC was released a couple of days ago people might want to discuss it.

I finished Overlord. Dicking around in the Hammerhead was kind of cool (it was kind of new to me because I haven't played through Firewalker yet) and
Spoiler:
the boss battle at the end where you fight the David/VI thing
was quite tense because
Spoiler:
the VI was trying to upload itself to the Normandy, you've got no companions helping you out and the VI regularly sends out geth to stop you. The reveal with David being hooked up to the system was also quite... horrific.

I have to say that I enjoyed playing through Overlord much more than I expected. However,
Spoiler:
when they said that they wanted to use David to talk to and control the geth, I felt that that was pretty useless because HELLO, I HAVE A GETH RIGHT IN MY PARTY. Trying to control the geth seems pretty pointless when you know that 95% of them are peaceful and have someone who can talk to them directly.

If you have some cash and have already finished ME2, why not try out Overlord? It's fun for a couple of hours~

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Mass Effect series
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:21:04 AM »
Played and finished ME2 recently. It had it's fair share of story twists, but I don't think they match up to those in ME1. At least this game actually has some use for biotic and tech powers.

My brother apparently had gotten the Firewalker and extra character DLC before I started playing the game, but I'm not sure I want to bother with Overlord. More so because I don't find ME2's general gameplay to be particularly exciting.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:30:05 AM »
Bioware has always been one of my favorite companies, so of course when these games came out, I bought them at the first chance I could.

I liked the story more for the first one honestly, Saren is so much of a better antagonist than Harbinger could ever be... but ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL, THIS HURTS YOU, I KNOW YOU FEEL THIS SHEPARD, IF I HAVE TO TEAR YOU APART SHEPARD I WILL kept me laughing through the whole game... not exactly the desired result I don't think...

Anyway, I know ME2's storyline is more of just a transitional piece, so of course they wouldn't be able to accomplish the most of the story within it. Overall I felt Bioware did a superb job with it.

Also wasn't too happy about the addition of ammo in ME2. I... kinda got too used to putting Frictionless Materials X in all of my guns and just firing to no end. But the combat and gameplay overall is much better in ME2...

ME3 is going to be epic though. That's one game I will never be able to wait for.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:59:23 AM »
Still have yet to play the second one, but that should be rectified this summer.  Tremendously entertaining games, as expected from Bioware.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 07:58:17 AM »
I only have ME1, but I can't really play it because my computer is utter crap and ME1 chugs even at the lowest settings. I'm personally waiting for either ME3, or a "collection" that has all three games together, if Bioware ever makes it. I'd like to at least, you know, PLAY* the series before it gets past its prime.

*I got a ways into the first planet, but then I had to change computers and I lost my save file...So I gotta start over. Bawwww.

Speaking of playing, are there any things in both games I can miss after a certain point in time, aside from permadeaths of party members, like sidequests or special items/weapons that could be considered game breakers?

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:42:40 AM »
I don't know, am I strange for thinking ME2 went further with character development than ME1 did? At least, when it comes to the original ME1 crew you encounter (
Spoiler:
Garrus, Tali, Liara
) I felt that was certainly the case. ME1 consisted of far more sitting on my ass, and half the time I felt like it was the bad kind of 'I just have to bear with this to finish the game' rather than the 'Whoa holy shit I am floored' I would get from an epic movie.

ME1's twists only really came towards the end... Saren was totally forgotten- I was more occupied with, say, Vigil on Ilos than I ever was for that sorry excuse for a tragic hero. ME2 kept pushing them at me with all the loyalty quests and conversational quicktime events.

Edit: Oh yeah, second Mass Effect in a row where they dropped the promised gay options. Asari don't count. Disappoint. :<
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:44:40 AM by Furienify »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 07:34:17 PM »
ME2 is $20 on gohastings today.  360 version.  Great time to buy it if you haven't yet.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »
I've gotten really inerested in these games. I might get them for PC, becaue I'mnot really sure if I want a 360 or not
Wotters gonna' wot

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »
ME2 is a huge, huge improvement over the first game. It went forward in all the ways I wanted it to and ironed out most of the flaws I previously found. Gone are the empty worlds, gone are the 'fetch 300 of these across empty planets' quests, smaller, more meaningful places, in-depth character development, excellent voice acting and writing.

Playing ME1 and then ME2 I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by the change. I'm going to play Overlord one of these days, sounds promising.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 12:45:51 AM »
One thing that I'm still bewildered about in ME2...

Spoiler:
Where did Mordin get the collector bee from in that one scene right before you go on Horizon?
Spoiler:
What was this mission that Shepard had to do that required every gun able member on the ship?

They were my main gripes on ME2's plot.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 02:41:03 AM »
So what is under Tali's mask anyways

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 03:59:55 AM »
Scanning for resources killed it for me.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 07:14:13 AM »

almost perfectly human, but with a purple tint and glowing eyes, and she had some mechanical bits, or vins or something by her forehead.

Or something
Wotters gonna' wot

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »
Another mask.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 07:32:14 PM »
This is what is really under Tali's mask.

... But yeah, Kuma is correct.

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 05:23:03 AM »
Oohhh, always thought they'd leave the Shadow Broker for ME3.

This is gonna be interesting.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 05:25:45 AM »
Lair of the Shadow Broker has been announced as the next DLC for ME2. It'll focus on Liara and the SB, and how real shit is getting.

this game's going to keep dragging me back to it, isn't it. gonna have to get this DLC.
Spoiler:
i liked planet scanning better than the mako simply because it was quicker

As for ME3, I just hope you can get wrex as a party member in ME3. That's all it needs to be a good game. (and more renagade!shepard dickery but that's guaranteed)

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 02:17:55 PM »
I have to reinstall ME2 so I can play this
At least I still have my RENAGADE SHEPARD save, so I can be a jerk.  8)

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »
Not to mention Jacob's romance... talk about goddamn ridiculous. "LOOK AT THIS...SNEAKING INTO THE CAPTAIN'S QUARTERS. HEAVY RISK, BUT THE PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZE."

THE PRIIIIIIIIIIIZE

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »
Yeah, i played Mass Effect 2 and it was pretty good. Much better gameplay than the 1st game imo.

I was wondering, is the DLC any worth to get? I sold the game back to Gamestop but seeing how there is a lot of DLC i might want to buy it again if the DLC is good.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 11:46:22 PM »
Yeah, i played Mass Effect 2 and it was pretty good. Much better gameplay than the 1st game imo.

I was wondering, is the DLC any worth to get? I sold the game back to Gamestop but seeing how there is a lot of DLC i might want to buy it again if the DLC is good.

Meh, just wait for the inevitable "platinum edition" in a year or so with all the DLC tacked on.

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 11:49:22 PM »
So I heard from a friend that the PC version of the new DLC was released as 1.5 gig of zeros. :V

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 12:37:45 AM »
Replaying to beat insanity... and cripes do I miss the infinite ammo from ME1.

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
Replaying to beat insanity... and cripes do I miss the infinite ammo from ME1.

That's pretty much the reason i gave up on beating insanity. Every enemy gets outrageously much health.
Its also kind of a lame excuse the game gives you for not having infinite ammo isn't it? Because rookies were unable to avoid their weapons overheating iirc.