Author Topic: Magic: the Gathering thread  (Read 1813 times)

lumber_of_the_beast

Magic: the Gathering thread
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »
Scars of Mirrodin previews start next week. I'm really looking forward to it, Mirrodin was where I started playing Magic.

Also, I'm totally gonna try and make a singleton extended Valakut/Titan Ramp deck. Going to be interesting to try and pull off, I can tell that much already :3c

Re: Magic: the Gathering thread
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 01:30:25 PM »
ARE THEY REPRINTING RAVAGER?  IF NOT THEN I DON'T GIVE A DAMN.

Anyways, I guess I'll have more stuff to add to my EDH decks.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »
Only play very rarely since the last two people of my playgroup moved away two years ago.
Stopped caring for any new cards with the 11th edition combat rules changes.

So yeah, I am not really up to date on anything.  :derp:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:56:47 PM »
Heh, I started at the dark/ fallen empires and quit after tempest. Which was sometime during 5th edition's life IIRC. At that point every new expansion seemed to feature new abilities or mechanics like shadow which made me quit... It sucks how shadow was basically an "everything walk". creature as far as older decks are concerned... I remember crapping my pants when I saw how op the legendary land was during those urza's expansions, made think i made the right decision.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
That comic with Chandra and the other planeswalker (drawn as a loli) = moe.

I've been playing on and off since Unlimited.  I adamantly refuse to play now.  Waste of time and money. :|

Last time I was into it was two years ago when a friend dragged me back in.  I've resisted attempts since then.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:28:12 PM »
I drafted pretty heavily up until a few years ago. Limited is by and large my favorite and most successful format, but I did some Time Spiral block and Extended in the past too. Started drafting in Onslaught but only got really good at it in Ravnica, and I gradually played less and less around halfway through Lorwyn block. Hanging out less and less with my drafting friends had something to do with it, plus they stopped drafting as regular too.

I might have to try drafting some Scars of Mirrodin as I really miss it. Magic is one of the few games that puts me in a whole different focused mindset. My friends say that I'm really intimidating when I play. :3

I've been playing on and off since Unlimited.  I adamantly refuse to play now.  Waste of time and money. :|

Last time I was into it was two years ago when a friend dragged me back in.  I've resisted attempts since then.

Do you have a nest-egg vault filled with Power 9 somewhere? :3
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:56:19 AM »
Ah yes, good ol' MtG......I've actually been working on a few decks myself.

But there's this one deck I like that will always be my favorite, as it's the one deck i regularly win with.
Gotta love the critters of Naya.
...And easy summons.....
...And burn.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 05:22:44 AM »
Elspeth Tirel -
Spoiler:
3WW
Planeswalker - Elspeth (SoM mythic rare)
+2: You gain 1 life for each creature you control.
-2: Put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
-5: Destroy all other permanents except for lands and tokens.

Ezuri's Brigade -
Spoiler:
2GG
Creature - Elf Warrior (SoM rare)
Metalcraft - As long as you control three or more artifacts, Ezuri's Brigade gets +4/+4 and has trample.
4/4

Mox Opal -
Spoiler:
Legendary Artifact (SoM mythic rare)
Metalcraft - T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Play this ability only if you control three or more artifacts.

Looks like they have perfectly captured the essence of Mirrodin in SoM: It's going to be stupidly fucking broken.

Well, assuming you can drop $1000 on a Standard deck, anyway.

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 05:58:50 AM »
Looks like they have perfectly captured the essence of Mirrodin in SoM: It's going to be stupidly fucking broken.

Well, assuming you can drop $1000 on a Standard deck, anyway.
I don't remember standard turning into vintage.  :V

Anyways, unless they can make an even more broken Ravager, I will not care.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 06:53:53 AM »
Hey, guys, you know Red Deck Wins? That deck that managed to be competitive in Standard and playable on a budget?

Say hello to your very own $50 mythic rare that you absolutely must have as a four of.

This is now a Magic Workstation thread.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:40:16 AM »
Hey, guys, you know Red Deck Wins? That deck that managed to be competitive in Standard and playable on a budget?

Say hello to your very own $50 mythic rare that you absolutely must have as a four of.

This is now a Magic Workstation thread.
My first thought: Wasn't RDW only successful despite being cheap because back then people had no idea about how to structure your deck properly for maximum tempo? ...oh wait, that was Sligh.
My second thought: Wth is an emblem? Some sort of special counter for players?
My third thought: Yes, I can see why that guy would be inredible in any aggressive red deck. First three rounds you play cheap beatz, fourth round you play him and beat the enemy over the head with a mountain, fifth round you hit them in the face with a 9 damage fireball and then win.
My fourth thought: I do not regret having stopped buying cards.
My fifth and unrelated thought: I have a deck that uses a combo that, while using infinite actions, has an amount of randomness to it so much that the people on the MtG forums said that even though winning would be inevitable, I couldn't simply show of the combo and declare the win but would have to go through the entire motion, which could take hours.  :derp:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."