Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou status update  (Read 412573 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: What costume would ZUN wear for Halloween?
« Reply #540 on: October 27, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »
As reported, yesterday's PoriPori Club broadcast was Halloween-themed, titled "Invisible Enemies of Game Development?! ~ Halloween Monsters". So what would be ZUN's choice of Halloween costume?

Hmm, a plain kimono with a hat. Looks like Kosuzu's disguise, which in turn is based on the forever unlucky and untidy Kindaichi Kōsuke, one of Japan's greatest fictional detectives.

Woah, ZUN, what's wrong with your face, and what happened to the background?!

At the beginning they appeared to be broadcasting from the usual inn, but that was an illusion. That eyeball was a mask they were passing around. And the background kept changing.

The broadcast was actually filmed in front of a blue screen.

According to the man himself, his costume was intended to resemble Kyōgoku Natsuhiko, the famous writer of supernatural mysteries who, as I said, was a big influence on Touhou.

Kyōgoku's trademark gloves were nowhere to be seen, though. I still think he looked more like Kindaichi. It doesn't help that he's thin instead of well-built.

One last picture.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:02:08 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: Untold History, and returning to Lotus Land
« Reply #541 on: October 31, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
On Oct 25, ZUN was visited by someone from UK. The visitor is John Szczepaniak, an experienced game journalist. He had arranged an interview with ZUN for his Kickstarter-funded, self-published book project, "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers".

ZUN: We're done~. Never thought I'd have a foreigner here digging up Taito's cancelled games. This is the most hardcore interview I ever did.

According to its Kickstarter page, the book is expected to be completed in Apr 2014, and will be available to non-backers through Amazon later.

So, I guess someone should ask him for permission to publish ZUN's interview on internet...

============

The guest of this month's Nikenme Radio broadcast (Oct 29) is the game developer and doujin game maker Heppoko. If you've read this thread, you may remember him as the guy who always tweets lewd jokes at ZUN. His doujin circle Eikyuu Loop (Twilight Refrain, Twilight Insanity) was recently disbanded on Sep 9, their 11th anniversary. He is making another doujin game all by his own.

One of the first things announced in the show is there'll be another special Nikenme show this year, possibly on Dec 27, titled "Nikenme Radio 3D 2 : So why are we going to the second pub anyway?"

- Due to the special Kantai Collection content, the sales of this issue of Febri magazine went up by an order of magnitude.
- ZUN criticized Febri for chasing the trends and forgetting its initial purpose. (This is weird. Febri is very thin and small in size, with so little content that one can't help but feel its only real purpose is to give WaHH a place for serialization. So what should it do?)

- ZUN has tried many social games. He also tried Cookie Clicker, which is recently highly popular in Japan.
- ZUN's DDC interview had 3 sessions, only the first and third were used for the magazine article. (Of the main game interviews, the DDC one, at least what has been printed, is the shortest with the least amount of content, so you shouldn't worry about not being able to read it right now.)

- ZUN's father and big brother are both thin and good at drinking.
- ZUN recalled the time he had appendictis. The doctor said he was very near to death.
- Heppoko called SA a bad game, "Only SA is no good". ZUN replied, "I made it to be a game people would hate."
- Heppoko said his games are more fun than SA.
- When talking about the USA trip, ZUN said, "so many of them have the games legally!"

============

Today (Oct 31), ZUN tweeted the following, and immediately got retweeted hundreds of times.
ZUN: After not playing it for a long time, I played Lotus Land Story and beat it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:22:44 AM by cuc »

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #542 on: October 31, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
Old/Cancelled Taito Games : Hardcore indeed! Always refreshing hearing interviews take that sort of direction.

ZUN's appendictis : Wow... the more you know indeed. Always kind of scary hearing stuff like that~  :ohdear:

ZUN replaying LLS : It's probably just him delving into some nostalgia; everyone does it. Though I can imagine the twitter masses thinking he played it for 'future planning' reasons.  :V

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #543 on: October 31, 2013, 04:08:44 PM »
- Heppoko called SA a bad game, "Only SA is no good". ZUN replied, "I made it to be a game people would hate."
:justasplanned:

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

« Reply #544 on: October 31, 2013, 04:16:53 PM »
A reminder for people: SA is about the hated youkai. Recently, Seija is also a character whose gameplay is intended to elicit hate.

« Reply #545 on: October 31, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
- When talking about the USA trip, ZUN said, "so many of them have the games legally!"

This makes me happy.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #546 on: October 31, 2013, 11:53:33 PM »

#swag
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #547 on: November 01, 2013, 01:41:19 AM »
It feels great to own legal copies of the games and be part of that group of people BV

« Reply #548 on: November 01, 2013, 03:15:22 AM »
It feels great to own legal copies of the games and be part of that group of people BV

Yes, this so very much.  I remember being so happy when I found out places I could go to get the games legit.

« Reply #549 on: November 01, 2013, 05:08:41 AM »
- Due to the special Kantai Collection content, the sales of this issue of Febri magazine went up by an order of magnitude.
- ZUN criticized Febri for chasing the trends and forgetting its initial purpose. (This is weird. Febri is very thin and small in size, with so little content that one can't help but feel its only real purpose is to give WaHH a place for serialization. So what should it do?)

This amuses me more than it should. So what exactly does he think the initial purpose was?

cuc

An hour ago (6 PM, Nov 1):
ZUN: By the way, I will finish the game for Winter Comiket before Dec 27, and promote it in Nikenme Radio 3D 2. Definitely.

ZUN: Speaking of that, I haven't properly announced it. We will do another public Nikenme Radio broadcast this year, on Dec 27 in Loft/Plus One. The title is "Radio begins from the second pub 3D 2 : So why should we go to the second pub anyway?" Details will be released when decided later.

ZUN: Unlike at Atlanta, this time I won't go up the podium, then immediately say "It's time for Q&A now."

ZUN has a new game to be released for this Winter Comiket (Comiket 85). Comiket 85 lasts from Dec 29 to 31, and Touhou is scheduled on the second day. The new game will obviously be a spinoff without demo, rather than a main game.

In short: a spinoff game will be released on Dec 30.

Spectral Nexus

• Idealistic Aspirer and Unacheiver
  • Hella trippy.
Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: Untold History and? new spinoff game on Dec 30!
« Reply #551 on: November 01, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
OMG I'M FREAKING OUT!!!
Personally, I really hope it's a photo game this time! Would love to see Kokoro return hopefully, and DDC's spellcards (Though Seija will be a complete bastard once again, we all love her because of it ;) )

Thank you for the notice! I'm off to the Moriya and Hakurei Shrine, need to give Kanako and Suwako my thanks, and give Reimu donations for this great news!
COMPOSING FOR: Magical Moon Story / Mystic Memory Drive (Full Game)
- Old Chateau Story (Stage 3 and Title Themes)
- Ephemeral Unnatural Balance (Stage 2 & Stage 5 Themes)
- Illusionary Visual Twilight (Full Game)
- Hopefully a few of my own future fangames! :-D

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: Untold History and? new spinoff game on Dec 30!
« Reply #552 on: November 01, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
For some reason I expected such thing to happen, so I'm glad it will! I suppose it will be a shmup featuring one main character?

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #553 on: November 01, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »
I don't think it will be a Photo game... considering we have very few characters for it and that the other photo games had at least three main games for it. Maybe it's another stand alone game like GFW...
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

cuc

« Reply #554 on: November 01, 2013, 03:27:52 PM »
Not to say it'll definitely be a photo game, but there are a few pre-MoF characters not covered by StB: Lily White, the Prismrivers, the Three Fairies of Light, Mystia and Yuuka.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:05:18 PM by cuc »

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #555 on: November 01, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
That's still not enough for a new photo game.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #556 on: November 01, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »
Well, the Three Fairies of Light would be covered in this trilogy, doesn't it?  Let's make a recount:

Shoot the Bullet featured Chars from EoSD, PCB, IAMP, IN and POFV.

Double Spoiler featured chars from MOF, SWR, SA and UFO.

So... unless this new "photo" game happens to cover TD, HM and DDC... that would leave us with a relatively small cast. But you're right, there are quite the missing characters from earlier games...

If it's a new game featuring Cirno, then I won't mid *halfshot*

EDIT:Making a comparison of characters in games.

Code: [Select]
- Featured in Shoot the Bullet -

1 - Wriggle
2 - Rumia
3 - Cirno
4 - Letty
5 - Alice
6 - Keine
7 - Reisen
8 - Tewi
9 - Medicine
10 - Meiling
11 - Patchy
12 - Chen
13 - Youmu
14 - Sakuya
15 - Remilia
16 -Ran
17 - Yuyuko
18 - Eirin
19 - Kaguya
20 - Komachi
21 - Shiki
22 - Flandre
23 - Yukari
24 - Suika

- Featured in Double Spoiler -

1 - Minoriko
2 - Shizuka
3 - Parsee
4 - Hina
5 - Yamame
6 - Kogasa
7 - Kisume
8 - Nitori
9 - Momiji
10 - Ichirin
11 - Murasa
12 - Yuugi
13 - Suika
14 - Shou
15 - Nazrin
16 - Rin
17 - Okuu
18 - Satori
19 - Koishi
20 - Tenshi
21 - Iku
22 - Kanako
23 - Suwako
24 - Byakuren
25 - Nue
26 - Reimu
27 - Marisa
28 - Sanae
29 - Hatate

- Candidates List for New Game (If Photo) -

1 - Kyoko
2 - Yoshika
3 - Seiga
4 - Soga
5 - Futo
6 - Miko
7 - Mamizou
8 - Sunny
9 - Luna
10 - Star
11 - Kokoro
12 - Wakasagihime
13 - Sekibanki
14 - Kagerou
15 - Benben
16 - Yatsuhashi
17 - Seija
18 - Sukuna
19 - Raiko

So yeah... adding the prismrivers.... Mystia and Yuuka, we would be at 24 chars, making it the same as StB... otherwise, this is kind of low...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:08:14 PM by Teff007 »
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

« Reply #557 on: November 01, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Let me wildly speculate that perhaps we'll see Kasen get some danmaku action.

Spectral Nexus

• Hella trippy.
Again, I'm not saying there will be a photo game, but...
Remember, new characters have been introduced before in photo games (Hatate). Although it happened only once, it doesn't mean it'll never happen again...
Also the 19 Characters Teff007 Mentioned plus the Prismriver Sisters, Mystia, Yuuka and Lily White = 25 Characters. That's Four less than StB and Equal to DS. We're optimistic, so let's add in a new character lol, 26. Three less than StB and One more than DS.

P.S Teff007 You forgot Mokou for StB!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:58:43 PM by Spectral Nexus »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #559 on: November 01, 2013, 06:18:27 PM »
Spoiler:
Caw caw!

Also have in mind that a new photog game doesn't necessarily need a 'full' cast. And that the last one introduced a new girl. So who knows? It's not like you can have too many tengu or something.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #560 on: November 01, 2013, 06:29:46 PM »
Let me wildly speculate that perhaps we'll see Kasen get some danmaku action.

Considering that the (most likely) last WaHH chapter comes out early December, this is actually quite a possibility.

Zil

« Reply #561 on: November 01, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »
Fuck yes, ZUN has yet to produce a spinoff game that isn't awesome as fuck. So much hype.

« Reply #562 on: November 01, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
As if my day couldn't get any better.  Another reason to be excited for December...

« Reply #563 on: November 01, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
Fuck yes, ZUN has yet to produce a spinoff game that isn't awesome as fuck.
Don't jinx it :ohdear:

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #564 on: November 01, 2013, 08:59:28 PM »
>Replays LLS
>Announces 'spin-off' game.

Not to rekindle the twitter train or anything but... :V
*dodges bullets*

But in all seriousness, this is a great announcement! Looking forward to seeing what ZUN will be doing for this. Personally, I don't see a photo game coming; it just feels too soon for my liking. We know it's not going to be another fighter seeing as we just had HM. And the Phantasmagoria games are normally non-decimal numbers (3 & 9) so that would be a slight chain to break if it were that; though we all know one is very much due now.

In short, I have no idea! And even then, ZUN surprises us all the time; so he could still do the above mentioned stuff just to blow our minds~
tl;dr ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE AND I CAN'T WAIT!

Spoiler:
I still think anyone from LLS has a shot!

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #565 on: November 02, 2013, 02:44:05 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks the spin off game is actually gonna be about Kasen? :V

I mean, WaHH ends this December and it has yet to resolve much. If anything I think the spinoff will be a tie in to the manga.

//Edit: whoops I wasn't the only one lol
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:05:23 AM by Hatateru »
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

« Reply #566 on: November 02, 2013, 02:59:01 AM »
Again, I'm not saying there will be a photo game, but...
Remember, new characters have been introduced before in photo games (Hatate). Although it happened only once, it doesn't mean it'll never happen again...
Also the 19 Characters Teff007 Mentioned plus the Prismriver Sisters, Mystia, Yuuka and Lily White = 25 Characters. That's Four less than StB and Equal to DS. We're optimistic, so let's add in a new character lol, 26. Three less than StB and One more than DS.

Not that I think that a photo game is happening, but if it were I can also see Kasen as being in it.

Fingers crossed for a PC-98 remake.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Spectral Nexus

• Hella trippy.
« Reply #567 on: November 02, 2013, 03:11:14 AM »
Okay, I know this is a little far-fetched, but there is a tiny possibility that it could be a new game completely, with Kasen as the main character, similar to GFW or the photo games, although it could be unique in its own way. It's not impossible, though it may be improbable. It would make sense, obviously because of WaHH's possibly final chapter being released in the same month, and characters have appeared in games, who originally appeared in the manga, like Aya, so Kasen could also be a possibility, although if it were the case, I'm not quite sure on how the system would work.
 Just an random idea!  :V

Zil

« Reply #568 on: November 02, 2013, 03:34:37 AM »
I think it's pretty likely that it'll be spawned from the manga, since that's what the past ones have been as well. Probably a new funky scoring mechanic. I don't know a damn thing about Kasen, but god I can't wait. I hope it's amazing. pls be amazing. ;_;

cuc

« Reply #569 on: November 02, 2013, 03:58:38 AM »
WaHH will not end this year. ZUN said it won't end until Azuma doesn't want to draw it. While he no doubt said it half-jokingly, it does indicate the manga will not end soon.

Also, Chapter 19 has been released, and it's by no means a penultimate chapter.

My guess is a game that brings the Prismrivers and Mystia back (musicians), as well as Yuuka (LLS). But more likely it'll be something impossible to guess.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:14:56 AM by cuc »