Author Topic: [Music] Zil plays piano (poorly)  (Read 4581 times)

Zil

[Music] Zil plays piano (poorly)
« on: May 10, 2013, 01:38:25 AM »
I've been considering making a thread here, and figured I may as well. I sometimes try to play things on piano, record with my crummy iPod camera, and then upload them to youtube. I'm not very good, but I hope to get better, and some feedback from people is probably a good thing for that, so yeah. Any comments will be appreciated, especially advice/constructive criticism.

So I guess I'll just post a list of things for now, and maybe edit new stuff into it later. Things that are worth keeping track of anyway. I'll exclude the especially crappy stuff. I'll also try to do more Touhou related things. I have done a number of Touhou songs before but they suck too much for me to bear posting them.

Erik Satie: Gnossienne No. 4
Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream
Sonja's Theme (from Advance Wars)
Franz Schubert: Impromptu Op. 90 No. 2
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:46:15 PM by Zil »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: [Music] Zil plays piano (poorly)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:26:45 AM »
Hrmph. Do you practice frequently?

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »
Well I am noob but for me your video sounds fine. Maybe recording it without using a smartphone could give more sound quality to your videos. I only think that something sounded a bit strange at the very end of Vanishing Dream (2:02), but I don't know what :P
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
That sounded strange because he made a mistake.  :P But mistakes are nbd. I learned to play with a piano teacher for a good few years so (((maybe))) I can give you some tips.

Zil

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »
I'm trying play at least two to three hours every day, though I've been lackadaisical about it in the past. And yeah that was a mistake towards the end of the song there. I can't usually play something that's over 2 minutes without making at least one mistake, so I just play it a bunch of times and upload the least flawed one, haha.

Something better to record with would be nice, yeah. I'll probably get something once I'm home for the summer. I don't think I could realistically balance my iPod on the side of the piano I have at home anyway.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:28:03 PM »
That's.. way too big an investment for a hobby. Even when I was passionate about playing I'd practice for an hour a day and call that overdoing things. 5 minutes of warming up, then two or three pieces for 15~20 minutes each.

Zil

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »
Well I just play as long as I feel like. It would bother me to stop at an hour, so it's usually two or three. When I said I "try" to play that much I meant something more like it's hard to find enough time, and it's something of a schlep to get to the practice rooms in the first place. But once I'm there I'm not forcing myself to play that long. In fact I'd like to double that (like, two separate sessions in one day) If I could.

So I don't know. I can't just do a given thing for less than two hours. Feels like that's not enough time to get into it.

Zil

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »
Well, here's something new.

Franz Schubert - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 2

I'm not entirely sure what to think of it. What's always reassuring though, is when you look at the related videos, and there's some 3 year old playing the song ten times better than you.

The next thing I do will probably be Nitori's theme, since I started working on it already.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »
Looks like you've fallen prey to little-girl-is-better-than-you syndrome. It's OK! Happened to me yesterday. Nothing jumped out to be as bad except for a few shaky parts (but that's natural when the entire original piece is one consecutive blur).

You're using sheets for miss kappa's theme? Or you're interpreting?

Zil

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »
Sheets definitely. Trying to figure it out on my own would be a nightmare. That's something I'd love to be able to do eventually but I'm not sure I understand enough ~music theory~ at the moment.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 05:41:53 PM »
Music theory helps but it isn't a necessity - one can 'guess' the right chords (trial and error) with some amount of experience. Unless you don't like doing that or something, since I can experiment like that for hours.

Zil

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »
Now that I think of it, I did sort of just figure out most of the second half of Sonja's theme on my own, since I didn't like what the sheet said to do. So you're probably right. I should try doing that some more, especially since finding anything for other Advance Wars songs is near impossible, and I'd really like to play them. That, and it's probably a good thing to practice doing in general.

Zil

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 05:13:36 AM »
Time for some fucking necromancy!

So I did something. Bach Invention 8

And I'll say, I'm fairly disappointed with how this ends up sounding. Aside from the fact that I'm way out of practice, I think this sounds better if it's played faster, but this piano is really shit, so if I play it too fast it starts sounding terrible. But I don't want to dwell on it. I'll just work a different song. And hopefully my days of quitting for months at a time have come to an end.

Also, since I've kinda started drawing things randomly, I think I will cannibalize this into a pictar postin thread as well.