Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 150634 times)

Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #300 on: May 28, 2016, 08:58:16 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see such staple cards omitted.
Well, we're getting Conspiracy: Take the Throne later in the summer so we could be seeing a few reprints we didn't get here.

Meanwhile, I'm suddenly excited for Standard again so I'm suddenly deckbrewing again.

The three ideas I have so far:
Obligatory Monowhite Human Deck
Scribe's Papermill
Monored Mania

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #301 on: May 29, 2016, 05:05:45 AM »
Mazirek Commander is being slowly refined into something actually really scary. It's all down to the balance between all of the various requirements to activate his ability and ways to protect those fragile parts, but I think the balance is getting closer. It's always going to be volatile because a lot can go wrong, but I absolutely stomped the most tryhard five-color superfriends deck I've ever seen (the guy's mana base just during that game easily added up to far more value than my entire collection) earlier today, so I think I'm making progress.

Meanwhile, I was given a bunch of code cards for the online Pokemon TCG, so I downloaded that earlier and just played a few rounds. I've got a better-than-average win rate against randos, even despite the fact that I'm just playing with a couple of theme decks and the contents of a handful of packs. Played against a timer stalling shitbag in my last round though, so if that's ever a trend I seriously doubt I'm going to keep playing.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #302 on: May 29, 2016, 05:36:39 AM »
Well, we're getting Conspiracy: Take the Throne later in the summer so we could be seeing a few reprints we didn't get here.

Meanwhile, I'm suddenly excited for Standard again so I'm suddenly deckbrewing again.

The three ideas I have so far:
Obligatory Monowhite Human Deck
Scribe's Papermill
Monored Mania

For the humans, can I suggest dropping some of the one-drop 2/1s for Hanweir Militia Captain? She's an astounding force in such a deck, flipping into something huge that only becomes huger. Especially if you run some Secure the Wastes for even more dudes on the field.

Mazirek Commander is being slowly refined into something actually really scary. It's all down to the balance between all of the various requirements to activate his ability and ways to protect those fragile parts, but I think the balance is getting closer. It's always going to be volatile because a lot can go wrong, but I absolutely stomped the most tryhard five-color superfriends deck I've ever seen (the guy's mana base just during that game easily added up to far more value than my entire collection) earlier today, so I think I'm making progress.

Meanwhile, I was given a bunch of code cards for the online Pokemon TCG, so I downloaded that earlier and just played a few rounds. I've got a better-than-average win rate against randos, even despite the fact that I'm just playing with a couple of theme decks and the contents of a handful of packs. Played against a timer stalling shitbag in my last round though, so if that's ever a trend I seriously doubt I'm going to keep playing.

How is Pokemon these days? I stopped playing like 12 years ago. The cards today look so absurdly overpowered, but the art is so fucking nice looking that I kinda wanna dip my feet in the game again. Just a deck or two for funsies.

Meanwhile, I've been chatting it up with folks at MTGSalvation in the Soul Sisters thread. I feel like I'm learning a lot and becoming a better pilot of the deck-- and while it's not even considered a tiered deck these days, I want to eventually find some way to make it better than it has ever been before. I went 3-1 at FNM a week ago (granted, I was at a different LGS facing much less tournament-grade decks), and went 2-2 at FNM this week (losing against that goddamn motherfucking Jeskai/Mardu Nahiri craze that has swept Modern and Esper Control because every moneysack in the area runs a playset of Liliana of the Veil, aka the most fucking unfair card in the game that for some reason has never been banned despite being traumatically overpowered). So the potential is there.

I know it is-- a guy has been going 5-0 playing Soul Sisters these past couple weeks in Competitive Modern League: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/421900#paper

As much as I am loathe to say it, I may have to invest in those disgustingly overpriced Flagstones. Deck thinning seems to be the name of the game here. But at least I won't need Auriok Champions?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:41:35 AM by Matsuri »

« Reply #303 on: May 29, 2016, 05:57:47 AM »
For the humans, can I suggest dropping some of the one-drop 2/1s for Hanweir Militia Captain? She's an astounding force in such a deck, flipping into something huge that only becomes huger. Especially if you run some Secure the Wastes for even more dudes on the field.
Militia Captain is fairly solid but I'm not sure I want to use the conditional transformation effect. And given that just one Secure the Wastes is like $13 right now and going to probably stay expensive until it rotates out I'm probably going to look at other options. I like the 2/1s because a lot of the deck (Thalia's Lieutenant, Consul's Lieutenant, Always Watching) goes into pumping them up so midgame they could be easily 4/3s or better.

How is Pokemon these days? I stopped playing like 12 years ago. The cards today look so absurdly overpowered, but the art is so fucking nice looking that I kinda wanna dip my feet in the game again. Just a deck or two for funsies.
There's an official free-to-play online client if you want to dabble in the game again, although if you want to unlock stuff beyond your starting decks without spending actual money it becomes a grindfest. The Pokemon themselves are more powerful (especially once you start going into the ridiculous EX stuff) but a lot of stuff like Trainer cards got adjusted so you can't do stuff like multiple Bills in a turn anymore
[/quote]

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #304 on: May 30, 2016, 06:04:20 AM »

Hard to say. It seems really un-fun when everyone's playing minmaxed competitive decks, but the online client has been fun so far. I don't think that many people in the random matchups have really sunk any money into it so the matchups have been fairly balanced in the little I've played in the day since I installed it.

As for playing in person, it helps that my primary opponent is a twelve-year-old. The deck I built cost me like $15 since it's mostly retired cards and it's a lot more optimized than his deck, but he has a bunch of super OP new cards so we're kind of balanced against each other. Playing against people who are actually into the game I always get completed stomped without being able to do almost anything.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2016, 11:38:35 PM »
Playing against people who are actually into the game I always get completed stomped without being able to do almost anything.
Haw... I was also interested in going back to Pok?mon, but I would also like not to spend 300$ to have a competent deck. I tend to be competitive when I play, so I do want to be viable.

My main problem nowadays with most TCG is either they are too expensive or too RNG-oriented. Yu-gi-oh offered me a nice balance between the two, but recently, everything have been way too strong. Sometimes, matches don't last more than 3 turns and I find it a bit ridiculous. Then, I tried Weiss Schwarz and the game traumatized me with how RNG it was. Controlling the board basically meant nothing at all, and I got quickly tired of it. I saw some people play Vanguard, and heard them mention "critical", which I didn't like the sound of.

Never tried stuff like Wixxoss, I don't think it clicked with me. I used to play MtG, but now there are like a bajillion cards and I don't know how much time I'll need to be up to date with the meta.

At the end, I don't know what to play. I'm still thinking about finding some other Yu-gi-oh decks, but the game isn't as fun as before for me...

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #306 on: May 31, 2016, 11:43:03 PM »
Are pokemon cards really that pricey? I've checked out the cards on sale at my LGSs and the highest I usually see is around $40 for a good old Charizard, who is probably wimp city in today's meta.

That's one thing I've noticed though: Magic is so widespread that I think I'd insist that it's simultaneously the cheapest and most expensive TCG out there right now. Great if you just wanna play casually, murder if you want to play competitively. But at least you'll never be without opponents.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:44:44 PM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #307 on: May 31, 2016, 11:51:18 PM »
Then, I tried Weiss Schwarz and the game traumatized me with how RNG it was. Controlling the board basically meant nothing at all, and I got quickly tired of it.

It's a tempo game. Trying to control the board is dubious (although not impossible), but controlling the tempo really, really matters. I like Weiss Schwarz a lot because it's unlike any other game I've ever played, and that bizarre focus on tempo is  a big part of that.

Much better players than me tell me that board control is totally a thing, but whenever I ask for examples they show me situations that are much more subtle than in, say, Magic. Slowing your opponent down by one card counts as board control in Weiss Schwarz I guess.

Are pokemon cards really that pricey? I've checked out the cards on sale at my LGSs and the highest I usually see is around $40 for a good old Charizard, who is probably wimp city in today's meta.

That's one thing I've noticed though: Magic is so widespread that I think I'd insist that it's simultaneously the cheapest and most expensive TCG out there right now. Great if you just wanna play casually, murder if you want to play competitively. But at least you'll never be without opponents.

I don't know how expensive it actually is, but the little I know about the metagame paints it as extremely centralized with everything revolving around a few broken cards. And every deck seems to need the same toolbox of $7-10 uncommon trainers, which I guess is where the expense probably mostly comes from.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #308 on: June 01, 2016, 12:34:32 AM »
I mean, I guess that's okay-- it's a one time purchase for those, unlike Magic, where unless you're playing similar-themed or similar-colored decks, you need all new (and often very expensive) cards to make it work at its prime.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:08:18 AM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2016, 12:58:40 AM »
Certainly true within an environment, but keep in mind that there's still rotation. It seems like they tend to reprint some staple trainers, but not all of them.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #310 on: June 01, 2016, 01:08:53 AM »
Ah, I hadn't considered rotation. I remember seeing a box of "legacy" pokemon singles and was kinda sad, hah.

Meanwhile, my new idea for a pauper deck: since I'm so married to the idea of using faeries to the point where I have purchased for myself 3 foil Spellstutter Sprite and 2 FNM Promo Spellstutter Sprite (It is kind of my favorite Magic card, so I have an excuse), I've decided to try for a different style. Since my current Faerie deck is blue/black and has a lot of counter and kill spells, its ability to actually win is somewhat diminished since most of the faeries are squishy as hell. So I got to wondering, why not make them un-squishy?

Thus, Faerie Fertilizer Fiesta has been born. All the fun of Flying Faerie disruption, with the smashy power of Stompy staples. Cast out fliers and pump them up for huge flying damage. Sideboard is undecided yet, but will likely be filled with removal spells like Unsummon/Void Snare etc.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:22:32 AM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #311 on: June 01, 2016, 01:21:34 AM »
Is Bonesplitter legal in pauper? I would rather have Bonesplitter than Mutagenic Growth any day unless you expect to be in a lot of combat.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #312 on: June 01, 2016, 01:24:04 AM »
Bonesplitter is Pauper legal, yes. I considered that, but Mutagenic Growth is there as either a free cast or one-mana cast. Bonesplitter is good, but it doesn't give any toughness and costs 2 to use overall, even if its effects last longer. Though, on the other hand, once its user dies, I can just as easily pop it onto another flier. And if I have many on the field at once... yes.

I'll have to mess with it to see which works more effectively-- but it's definitely a good option.

I can't help but feel excited at the notion of a little Spellstutter Sprite becoming 11/11 once I slap a Rancor on her, and do a double landfall trigger on Groundswell by playing Evolving Wilds that turn, and then cracking it in response to my own spell.

...that works, right? Please tell me it works like that.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #313 on: June 01, 2016, 02:12:38 AM »
Well, for one thing Rancor gives +2/+0, not +2/+2. So you can be an 11/9 I'm pretty sure, but... God that sounds sketchy. There's removal in Pauper, right? You just instantly lose if someone kills your sprite. I guess you can do that when they're tapped out, but personally I would focus way less on the power pumps (maybe cut it down to just Groundswell) and more on disruption. You don't need 11/9s to win, just shredding people with 5/1 faeries from Bonesplitters and Rancors seems like it would be plenty.

I don't know the Pauper metagame at all, so take everything I say with a massive grain of salt, but I'm also not that impressed by Silkbind Faerie or even Pestermite in this deck. I would probably lean toward Faerie Miscreant, Surveiling Sprite, and maaaaaybe even Dream Thief. It looks like you're trying to rush down fast since your deck is light on card advantage, but many of your threats are pretty expensive all things considered, which seems like it gives your opponent a lot of time to stabilize. I don't know. I'm historically bad at traditional constructed so maybe I'm way off base, but that's what I see when I look at your list.

Also, I don't know how prevalent Zoo is in pauper or whether this is already common knowledge, but for your sideboard maybe keep in mind that Moment's Peace is absolutely soul crushing in creature matchups. It's one of the most brutal creature hosers ever printed in my opinion, especially if you've got a lot of evasion and can race them on your free turns even though they'll be untapped on the second turn.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #314 on: June 01, 2016, 02:41:02 AM »
Hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind. Rancor and Bonesplitter do essentially let me make my attackers disposable since Rancor always comes back to your hand from the graveyard, and Bonesplitter can simply be re-equipped, so that's good. Though I think I may keep Vines of Vastwood over Groundswell if not only because it makes the target effectively hexproof for the turn it is cast as well, though this costs 2 mana rather than one.

Silkbind Faerie is surprisingly a fucking nightmare for a lot of creature decks, and would be my go-to swinger, in fact. Swing on your turn for flying damage, then pay 2 on your opponent's turn to tap their biggest beater and block another with the faerie. It's amazingly cool disruption. Pestermite is a similar case, being flashable for a quick disruption tap or untap. I can effectively cast it for 2 as an emergency blocker and untap one of my lands, which could give me extra space for a quick pump spell for survival's sake or counterspell, or even Spellstutter Sprite. I'm a huge fan of Silkbind and Pestermite for that reason, and I'm half-tempted to find some way to sneak Silkbind into my Modern decks for how disgustingly disruptive it can be.

Faerie Miscreant is a tough choice for me because it's only ever worth anything if I manage to come across multiples of itself-- otherwise it's a boring 1/1 for 1. In fact, I used to run those until I realized that Delver of Secrets, despite not being a Faerie, is just straight-up better. I could see myself trying Dream Thief or Surveilling Sprite though.

And is my card advantage really that bad? I'm running 8 of the most useful cantrips in the whole meta-- though I could make an argument for running Halimar Depths for extra assurance.

As far as Moment's Peace goes, I'm actually considering running that in my own sideboard-- and that's something I can counter with Counterspell or Spellstutter-- which should be fine unless they're dead set on spending 5 mana to stop damage for a turn.

But I like your idea of dropping the pump instants and throwing in more permanent boosts. Rancor and Bonesplitter are permanent threats rather than one-turn threats, so that's always nice. Ancestral Mask could work nicely too, especially if Rancor is already on the field somewhere-- anything I attach it to would get +4/+4, which is really nice. Maybe I could run some Abundant Growth as a pseudo-cantrip that gives me an extra enchantment on the field-- or Utopia Sprawl could effectively give me more mana to work with and give an enchantment boost. It's all pretty messy though when not making a deck centered around that idea-- my friend runs a Bogle deck that uses assloads of enchantments for huge buffs, so I know how that works.

I'm actually really happy about Eternal Masters all of a sudden-- since Rancor is getting reprinted, perhaps its price will drop.

EDIT: I tweaked the deck somewhat. How does it look now? I'm suddenly getting the feeling I don't need this much green in the deck now that Mutagenic Growth and Groundswell are out.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:43:12 AM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2016, 03:12:32 AM »
Hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind. Rancor and Bonesplitter do essentially let me make my attackers disposable since Rancor always comes back to your hand from the graveyard, and Bonesplitter can simply be re-equipped, so that's good. Though I think I may keep Vines of Vastwood over Groundswell if not only because it makes the target effectively hexproof for the turn it is cast as well, though this costs 2 mana rather than one.

Yeah, Vines is badass.

Silkbind Faerie is surprisingly a fucking nightmare for a lot of creature decks, and would be my go-to swinger, in fact. Swing on your turn for flying damage, then pay 2 on your opponent's turn to tap their biggest beater and block another with the faerie. It's amazingly cool disruption. Pestermite is a similar case, being flashable for a quick disruption tap or untap. I can effectively cast it for 2 as an emergency blocker and untap one of my lands, which could give me extra space for a quick pump spell for survival's sake or counterspell, or even Spellstutter Sprite. I'm a huge fan of Silkbind and Pestermite for that reason, and I'm half-tempted to find some way to sneak Silkbind into my Modern decks for how disgustingly disruptive it can be.

I certainly understand the point of Silkbind Faerie, it's just pretty slow to get rolling and pretty vulnerable. I'm never a huge fan of disruption that's easily disruptable. That might just be a Commander habit though.

Faerie Miscreant is a tough choice for me because it's only ever worth anything if I manage to come across multiples of itself-- otherwise it's a boring 1/1 for 1. In fact, I used to run those until I realized that Delver of Secrets, despite not being a Faerie, is just straight-up better. I could see myself trying Dream Thief or Surveilling Sprite though.

Flying is worth a lot if you've got equipment and Rancor. A 1/1 flyer is waaaaay better than a 1/1 in that case. Not necessarily saying you should play it, but that is a thing.

And is my card advantage really that bad? I'm running 8 of the most useful cantrips in the whole meta-- though I could make an argument for running Halimar Depths for extra assurance.

Card filtering isn't the same as card advantage. Ponder and the like don't give card advantage, they just replace themselves and theoretically improve card quality. That is valuable, certainly, but never mistake filtering for card advantage.

As far as Moment's Peace goes, I'm actually considering running that in my own sideboard-- and that's something I can counter with Counterspell or Spellstutter-- which should be fine unless they're dead set on spending 5 mana to stop damage for a turn.

Right, I was recommending you run it. I don't think you're incredibly vulnerable to it, but you should use it.

But I like your idea of dropping the pump instants and throwing in more permanent boosts. Rancor and Bonesplitter are permanent threats rather than one-turn threats, so that's always nice. Ancestral Mask could work nicely too, especially if Rancor is already on the field somewhere-- anything I attach it to would get +4/+4, which is really nice. Maybe I could run some Abundant Growth as a pseudo-cantrip that gives me an extra enchantment on the field-- or Utopia Sprawl could effectively give me more mana to work with and give an enchantment boost. It's all pretty messy though when not making a deck centered around that idea-- my friend runs a Bogle deck that uses assloads of enchantments for huge buffs, so I know how that works.

I would be really careful fucking around with vulnerable auras like Ancestral Mask. It's definitely worth testing, and Groundswell might lead to some crazy blowouts since anything with a mask will be a very tempting target, but you're taking a huge risk.

EDIT: I tweaked the deck somewhat. How does it look now? I'm suddenly getting the feeling I don't need this much green in the deck now that Mutagenic Growth and Groundswell are out.

I'm inclined to think 12 creature pumps for 14 creatures is too much. Maybe throw in some high-quality green creatures to even things out. Nothing is necessarily coming to mind at common, but I'm sure there's something out there that would fit.

Edit: What do you think of Scroll Thief? It doesn't help your color imbalance and again it's pretty slow, but I kind of like the idea of a Scroll Thief with Rancor and the threat of Vines backing it up and scaring people away from blocking it.

Edit edit: Gitaxian Probe doesn't seem that great in this deck to me. Being able to peek at your opponent's hand to know how to spend your counterspells is certainly nice, but I think people usually use it to pad out the spell-creature ratio in Delver decks. Since you're not running a full four copies to tweak out the ratio anyway I would think additional copies of Preordain and Ponder would be preferable since they let you potentially guarantee Delver activations. It's all up to how much you value hand information, but I don't think it's getting optimal use here.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:20:44 AM by commandercool »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2016, 04:06:31 AM »
Yeah, I see what you mean about the Probes. I'll drop them and max out Ponder and Preordain, which are more or less blue essentials in Pauper anyway (I mean, they're the best cantrips in the game, hands down, to the point that they're banned in pretty much every other format. Why NOT take advantage of that?)

Scroll Thief is interesting, but I worry it won't be as consistent as we hope it would be. Keep in mind that it would require me to give it Rancor and/or Vines when I could be using that to deal guaranteed damage with the fliers after all. Why worry about card advantage when I could be beating down faster?

As far as another creature goes, I could just straight up go pseudo-Bogles and put in Slippery Bogle or Silhana Ledgewalker for some hexproof beaters.

I certainly understand the point of Silkbind Faerie, it's just pretty slow to get rolling and pretty vulnerable. I'm never a huge fan of disruption that's easily disruptable. That might just be a Commander habit though.

Potentially. Pauper particularly is a very fast format and very few decks tend to take it slow-- that is the whole reason why I'm modifying my Faerie Control deck to be more aggressive, because its win condition is just far too pokey to be consistent-- why waste my time countering and removing when I could be attacking with my fliers at a much higher pace? That means you have to make a lot of big decisions early on with very limited resources-- what do you counter, what do you remove? The cool thing about Silkbind is that it's fairly inoffensive at first glance-- a lot of people underestimate how disruptive forced tapping and untapping can be since it's not removal-- and while it's definitely a target for removal, that's why I'll have 16 counters to removal to keep it safe (Counterspell, Mana Leak, Spellstutter Sprite, and Vines of Vastwood).

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 04:08:38 AM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #317 on: June 01, 2016, 11:34:24 PM »
Been playing a fair amount of the Pokemon TCG Online. During the day (presumably when random children are on) I can win pretty consistently with my fucked-up garbage deck, but at night when it's only turbowhales I can only pull off around 1/3 or 1/4 wins. Still not terrible given how badly my deck blows.

People keep giving me code cards, so I have some good stuff that came from theme decks (Mewtwo Ex, Yveltal Ex, and Hoopa Ex) that my whole deck is semi-built around. The only other chance to compete I have is powering out this rare Gallade that I have two copies of who's basically a shittier version of Yveltal Ex, so a lot of my deck is devoted to getting him in play as soon as possible. I put some random rares I don't really want from types I don't play up for trade trying to get a playset of Gourgeists, since he's what my IRL deck is built around and he's my favorite Pokemon. Not sure if anyone's going to take the trades, but I'm hoping.

I also have a couple of valuable uncommons that only really work optimally when paired with other valuable uncommons I don't own, so I'm withholding those as trade fodder at a later date. Whenever I get the opportunity to get booster packs (which is fairly often honestly) I go for the sets that those cards come from hoping to get more copies to trade.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #318 on: June 04, 2016, 12:05:24 AM »
Fucking christ, so I'm still messing around with the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online, and I seriously just played five games in a row, in random matchups, against exactly the same deck. You can look at opponent's decklists after a game, so after the second one I started doing that. The decks were all identical except for maybe 3-4 quantity variations. Four copies of the same mega-rare (Ex Florges), same Pokemon, same trainers. Well, pretty sure I'm done with this game now. I didn't lose all of them, but all of my wins were more or less the result of my opponents playing terribly.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #319 on: June 05, 2016, 01:48:20 AM »
The Pokemon TCG sounds like the thing that would be a blast to play in sealed draft, but incredibly stupid in constructed, since what you're saying makes Modern in MtG look like a playground of diversity (hahahahahahahaaHAHAHAHAHAHA)

« Reply #320 on: June 05, 2016, 03:28:22 AM »
So I just went to a Force of Will AGP using a friend's deck and got 17th out of 117

I dont even have any cards of my own (well I do now after winning some from the tournament :V)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:33:09 AM by Suikama »

« Reply #321 on: June 05, 2016, 04:18:54 AM »
The Pokemon TCG sounds like the thing that would be a blast to play in sealed draft, but incredibly stupid in constructed, since what you're saying makes Modern in MtG look like a playground of diversity (hahahahahahahaaHAHAHAHAHAHA)
Pokemon TCG was always stupid in constructed. Anybody other than me remember the Haymaker deck from the original era?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #322 on: June 05, 2016, 04:36:31 AM »

Nah, Pokemon sealed would be a nightmare. Half or more of the cards you pull would be useless since you'd need to luck into getting whole evolution lines, which usually involves getting a specific uncommon and a specific rare. And having played constructed a lot, Ex Pokemon can be dealt with if you have a well-tuned deck, but I think they would be unmanageable if someone lucked out and got one in a limited format.

The variety isn't good, at all. Fortunately a vast majority of the people playing cookie-cutter bitch decks are bad at the game so I've been winning semi-consistently. Winning with cool Pokemon against generic trash is pretty fun at least. And I just traded for some really cool cards, so hopefully those will be fun to play with and will balance out the monotony to some degree.

So I just went to a Force of Will AGP using a friend's deck and got 17th out of 117

I dont even have any cards of my own (well I do now after winning some from the tournament :V)

Oh wow, pretty impressive. What do you think of the game?

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #323 on: June 05, 2016, 04:45:31 AM »
I mean, if I'm gonna play, I'm just going to play with my favorite Pokemon and make them work, ideal or not be damned.

(So uh, lots of psychic, steel, fairy, and grass types.)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #324 on: June 05, 2016, 04:53:57 AM »
My deck is built around Malamar and Gourgeist (Pumpkaboo being probably my favorite Pokemon, and Inkay definitely in my top five or so) with some other cool shit like Chandelure thrown in. A lot of it leans on Ex Yveltal though, who I don't like at all and am only playing because he's degenerately powerful. I'm happy to squeeze in as much good stuff as I have though.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #325 on: June 05, 2016, 06:15:56 AM »
Disgaea is coming out in English Weiss in 3 weeks and I'm excited for it. They should be announcing more english sets for the second half of 2016 sometime soon. Meanwhile, JP is getting Osomatsu and Gochuumon and Osomatsu is looking ridiculous already

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #326 on: June 05, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »
Fingers crossed for Evangelion,  Phantom,  Black Rock Shooter, Railgun, and Psycho-Pass.  Some of those are more likely than others and they're all pretty old, but hey, maybe...

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #327 on: June 05, 2016, 06:58:25 PM »
Out of all of those you listed only one of them is passable in terms of playability :V

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #328 on: June 05, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »
I'm surprised there's even one. I assume it's Railgun/Index, right? They do have a lot of sets to pull from at least.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #329 on: June 05, 2016, 08:26:54 PM »
Railgun was top of the mountain years ago and Index has a niche deck that works well