Author Topic: PS Vita...TV?  (Read 2438 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
PS Vita...TV?
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »
Quite a strange little device, no?

Pretty interesting budget gaming option and method of prolonging the fledgling handheld's lifespan. Might consider getting one if it had more games and a decent development scene.

Related news: redesigned Vita arriving 10 Oct in Japan, complete with 6 colours.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:27:27 PM by Aya SyaMEEMaru »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: PS Vita...TV?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
That is interesting, although it's still not helping with the lackluster library. Is it work $120 for me to play Persona 4 Golden? Probably not, but if I can pick one up used for $60-$70 eventually it might be at some point.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »
...yeah, if the Vita starts getting a decent library, that's low enough to make me consider it.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 05:48:35 PM »
I like my Vita a lot, it's getting a lot of the last generation PS3 RPGs ported to it. So I'm finally getting a chance to play the Atelier games and I have P4 and stuff like that. The only complaint I have is how expensive the memory is for it still :S

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:17 AM »
Clearly I should have paid more attention to the article.

>besides playing Vita, PSP, and PS1 games, also offers access to a range of entertainment services and PlayStation 4 cross-functionality

It can play PSP games? Yeah, I'm pretty much sold, then. I've only been on the fence about getting a PSP ever since they were released, and this pretty much seals it for me.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 04:17:12 AM »
Yes the Vita emulates the PSP.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 05:19:47 AM »
Yes the Vita emulates the PSP.
That said, there are a few PSP games that cannot be played on the Vita (either because they're disc only, like KH:BBS; or there's some shenanigans that could break the Vita in the game); but there are a number of games that aren't officially supported (e.g. they don't show up in the Vita store) but are playable on a Vita (like Valkyria Chronicles 2) with some shenanigans regarding using a PS3.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:37:05 PM »
Fucking everything on the TV list is something I want, goddamn
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »
I guess now my question is 'will this be released in the US, and when?". Because dang, I really am liking the idea of this more and more. I don't mind that it'd be rooted to a TV to play-- I have my 3DS for handheld funstuffs.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »
November is the launch in Japan, so I imagine sometime after or around that for us.

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »
Is it work $120 for me to play Persona 4 Golden?

As someone who bought a Vita purely for this game (and emulating P3P), I would have to say yes.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 02:28:56 AM »
I have to wonder... if it has an HDMI port, would one potentially be able to connect it to a laptop and use that as the screen? Because that would be really freaking cool and I'd make great use of that. . .

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 02:56:39 AM »
Sounds like a great idea, but most systems have output-only ports. You'll need a capture device at the very least to do that.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:03:57 AM by Aya SyaMEEMaru »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 03:16:20 AM »
I may consider this if it's not too expensive. <<;

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 05:55:25 AM »
HDMI capture cards are pretty expensive, and require USB3 or Thunderbolt for the external variety. I've looked into them when I was way into streaming and it's gonna cost you at least 200 if not more. At that price you can get a decent monitor and just use that.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 06:22:09 AM »
The internal card in my tower ran me $120 about and works for me really well.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
Matsy has a laptop :b

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
HDMI capture cards are pretty expensive, and require USB3 or Thunderbolt for the external variety. I've looked into them when I was way into streaming and it's gonna cost you at least 200 if not more. At that price you can get a decent monitor and just use that.

Hm, I see. No, I'd rather get the card over a monitor-- I have a TV that doubles as a monitor. The thing is that I'm all over the place and not in one house at any given time, and I always have my laptop on me (honestly it's an extension of my hands...). And since that lil' Vita TV is pocket-sized, I can take it with me or put it in my bag with the rest of my laptop/handheld stuffs that I carry with me. It'd be pretty useful. But $200... sigh.