Author Topic: Testing out solutions to Touhou 13.5 patch?  (Read 391427 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: Testing out solutions to Touhou 13.5 patch?
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2013, 03:19:06 AM »
What is the profile name problem?

First off, I'm not really sure which kind of font to use for the names in the versus screen. The space given is VERY limited, and I thought the name looks out of place so I tried to do some font consistency. The left is more consistent but the right looks more gamey. I think I may stick with right, unless you guys like the left more or something else entirely?
In the original, this is the same font as button prompts on menu screens, and both italicized.

Your non-italicized (Helvetica?) menu screen prompts actually look rather good, but it's not in the same style as the original. And while I like your comic-style "right" side versus screen character name, the font is obviously not suitable for menu prompts.

About the last screenshot... In the original, the game used ONE main font for all the important things, from character names to match prompts and menu options. It's an unusually thin and serious-looking serif font called "newspaper font". That's part of the "newspaper" aesthetics I mentioned.

What English font can both immediately evoke "newspaper" (perhaps, "old newspaper"), and be suitable for all those different places in the game?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:23:14 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2013, 05:15:13 AM »
I think it's the problem earlier about the profile names being outlined in white or something like that...
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2013, 11:27:38 AM »
Thanks for the input, everyone! Very appreciated!

Personally I like the left font because consistency. It's up to you though.
It's also more for you guys too. >A<; IDK the creator is usually blind to their work, as saying goes.

In the original, this is the same font as button prompts on menu screens, and both italicized.

Your non-italicized (Helvetica?) menu screen prompts actually look rather good, but it's not in the same style as the original. And while I like your comic-style "right" side versus screen character name, the font is obviously not suitable for menu prompts.

About the last screenshot... In the original, the game used ONE main font for all the important things, from character names to match prompts and menu options. It's an unusually thin and serious-looking serif font called "newspaper font". That's part of the "newspaper" aesthetics I mentioned.

What English font can both immediately evoke "newspaper" (perhaps, "old newspaper"), and be suitable for all those different places in the game?

Profile name problem, as Like said. ;~;
Ah, the menu screen? You mean when you pause in the middle of a match, right? Yeah, I changed that, I'm putting that on hold until I find a very similar font to HM. D: So far, there's only a little progress... But I'm still looking around.

Ahh, about the font consistency, I'm really kind of wondering about that too. Should I stay with using the same font to maintain originality, or should I go with diversity, taking out a bit of being consistent with the original? Kind of like Odin Sphere, I guess, where I found the translation more superior to the original. They tweaked a bit of things, but it was good. D:

Still, I'll try to find HM's font for the menu, and the "help" at the bottom of the window. If anyone has any ideas, do poke me! Thanks!

Just some weirdo, move along!

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
Riatre, if you're still here, does the Chinese patch have a problem with the Profile1 and Profile 2 at the bottom of the screen in a match? ^^;
Haven't noticed any problem with the Profile 1 and Profile 2 text, it is rendered just as in original version I think.
EDIT: Seen your screenshot. There are no such problem in Chinese patch, seems strange :(

And another good news:

(ignore the text, my system locale setting is zh-CN and I started game without AppLocale blahblahblah)

The game itself has a option controling how to render the text. Unfortunately it is coded in a .nut script, as I mentioned we don't have a working decompiler for Squirrel 3.0.4, we need to modify the bytecode manually to do this:
Run dumpact.bat, find balloon.act.txt_**.nut in data/system/talk(pick the larger one which is 2KB+), open it with your favorite hex editor, search 0300000001020000010000001A and replace with 0300000001020000000000001A, save, then run writeact.bat. (maybe destroying the "vertical" literal also works but I haven't tried.)

About packing:
The game prefer files in th135b.pak than files in th135.pak, that is to say, if there are some files with same name in both pak, it will use the one in th135b.pak.
My "/h" patch makes the game can only read packages built by my th135arc instead of tasofro, so make sure to extract&repack the th135b.pak if you want "/h patched" game to load it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15824386/th135e.zip :: (Do NOT run /h on this file)
This binary can load ORIGINAL th135.pak BUILT BY TASOFRO and th135e.pak BUILT BY MY TOOL at same time. So you can restore your th135.pak, extract th135b.pak, merging all your work(the files modified) into it, then repack as th135e.pak. In this way you only need to distribute th135e.pak(which is rather smaller) and th135e.exe instead of full th135.pak and th135b.pak.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:57:31 AM by Riatre »

cuc

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
Ah, the menu screen? You mean when you pause in the middle of a match, right? Yeah, I changed that,
I meant those "help" text on screens before match.

If you are doing a Touhou translation, consistency of the font should take first priority.

The game UI only used 2 main fonts (exceptions are some minor places, and the main menu, all in English anyway):

1. "Help", key or button names on the config screen, stage select, song names and character names during match:
Some derivation from the Motoya Apollo family. You can see and download (needs registration) a small sample of Motoya Apollo 1 here (second font).

2. Menu options, in-game functions (ABC, Pause...) on the key config screen, match prompts, character titles, etc:
The newspaper font used by Asahi Shimbun, one of Japan's major newspaper. This makes it pretty much the equivalent of Times New Roman. Of course Times New Roman, due to being pre-installed on most systems, is something people are too used to seeing on their computer screen. I think we need a font that's:

- An iconic font used by some of the world's major newspapers in real life;
- Perhaps with much thinner lines than Times New Roman (look at how thin those ABCXYZ letters are on the key config screen);
- Preferrably not pre-installed on systems.

... Or just use the Asahi Shimbun font. Depending on how good its English letters look.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:55:50 PM by cuc »

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »
Haven't noticed any problem with the Profile 1 and Profile 2 text, it is rendered just as in original version I think.
EDIT: Seen your screenshot. There are no such problem in Chinese patch, seems strange :(

And another good news:

(ignore the text, my system locale setting is zh-CN and I started game without AppLocale blahblahblah)

The game itself has a option controling how to render the text. Unfortunately it is coded in a .nut script, as I mentioned we don't have a working decompiler for Squirrel 3.0.4, we need to modify the bytecode manually to do this:
Run dumpact.bat, find balloon.act.txt_**.nut in data/system/talk(pick the larger one which is 2KB+), open it with your favorite hex editor, search 0300000001020000010000001A and replace with 0300000001020000000000001A, save, then run writeact.bat. (maybe destroying the "vertical" literal also works but I haven't tried.)

About packing:
The game prefer files in th135b.pak than files in th135.pak, that is to say, if there are some files with same name in both pak, it will use the one in th135b.pak.
My "/h" patch makes the game can only read packages built by my th135arc instead of tasofro, so make sure to extract&repack the th135b.pak if you want "/h patched" game to load it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15824386/th135e.zip :: (Do NOT run /h on this file)
This binary can load ORIGINAL th135.pak BUILT BY TASOFRO and th135e.pak BUILT BY MY TOOL at same time. So you can restore your th135.pak, extract th135b.pak, merging all your work(the files modified) into it, then repack as th135e.pak. In this way you only need to distribute th135e.pak(which is rather smaller) and th135e.exe instead of full th135.pak and th135b.pak.
Oh my goodness, I can't count how many times you had saved our hides like this. ;~; Thank you so very much! IT MEANS ALOT! It works like a charm!

And ahh;; Maybe it's the way I unpack it? Or it's my computer? I'm not too sure...;; But yes, thank you very, very much!

I meant those "help" text on screens before match.

If you are doing a Touhou translation, consistency of the font should take first priority.

The game UI only used 2 main fonts (exceptions are some minor places, and the main menu, all in English anyway):

1. "Help", key or button names on the config screen, stage select, song names and character names during match:
Some derivation from the Motoya Apollo family. You can see and download (needs registration) a small sample of Motoya Apollo 1 here (second font).

2. Menu options, in-game functions (ABC, Pause...) on the key config screen, match prompts, character titles, etc:
The newspaper font used by Asahi Shimbun, one of Japan's major newspaper. This makes it pretty much the equivalent of Times New Roman. Of course Times New Roman, due to being pre-installed on most systems, is something people are too used to seeing on their computer screen. I think we need a font that's:

- An iconic font used by some of the world's major newspapers in real life;
- Perhaps with much thinner lines than Times New Roman (look at how thin those ABCXYZ letters are on the key config screen);
- Preferrably not pre-installed on systems.

... Or just use the Asahi Shimbun font. Depending on how good its English letters look.
Consistency of the font as first priority? I have a few things to say to that, but that aside, it's going to be a bit hard with the space we're allowed to work with. (It's really narrow, and English goes left to right, not up to down. >_<

The newspaper is one of the hardest things, and I'm still thinking of a design for it. (I did edit a bit of the text, but it's so horrible, I don't want to look at it.)

Anyways, I took a bit of your guys advice and I kind of came up with this, trying to make it consistent yet look nicer at the same time. Is it better than the other two, or are the former ones still better? ^^;

There's also one other question, which is... should I create a new banner for this, or should I leave it untouched with the japanese words? I could make something similar, but the chances of getting the EXACT same picture without the words there is quite low. The banner and text are in one image, not two.

So yes, should I leave it be in Japanese, or make it very similar for translation?

And Cuc (Or perhaps Riatre? >A< <3), do you have Skype or something? Maybe I could show you a few font designs to see which one works instead of taking 1-2 pages of this topic before finally getting it right? More faster and less annoying that way, I believe.

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »

And another good news:

About packing:

Thank you, Riatre.

@Ciel:

let me help too. I have skype too.

« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2013, 02:58:42 AM »
Aaah, you guys! I love you all so much. Thank you soooo much! I'm glad to see this game is actually fully translatable.  :D

@Ciel
if you ever need help with fonts or design choices, I have Skype and I can give it to you over PM.

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2013, 03:41:55 AM »
Yes please! It's greatly appreciated, yes! >A< <333

cuc

« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2013, 06:31:06 AM »
Skype? Sure, why not. The only problem might be our time zones. I'd prefer IRC or anything pure IM though.

@Ciel:
System menus and help are both essential and difficult to understand, and should be top priority. The stage select screen, as you said, is difficult to make, yet they are the least difficult to understand. Since the current goal is to produce a minimal but actually helpful patch, the stage select screen can be put off for later.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:06:23 AM by cuc »

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
Well, I'm just going to put this here. I'm not really going to help out with the graphics. ^_^; My style of doing the game's design and the expected style doesn't work well with me. I like adding a bit of variety while trying to maintain some aspects of the original, while the expected standard is to be consistent with the original. I'm the kind which needs to take out her wings and flap somewhere, LOL;;

So for those who want to go ahead and help out with graphic design, feel free to help out!

Thanks for having me on board, even for just a brief moment! And thank you very much for the support!

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
I'll help with the graphic design! Though, whenever I repack the files, the game refuses to boot up. No black screen, no crashing, just flat out refuses to start up. Anyone know why?
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »
Oooh, make sure you run "th135arc.exe /h th135.exe".

Although right now, it's preferable if you don't do that. There's a 135e executable file by Riatre located here, so just do this:

1) After repacking everything, use th135arc.exe /p th135e
2) Run 135e.exe
3) Done!

GL! o/

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2013, 03:45:03 PM »
Oh my goodness, I can't count how many times you had saved our hides like this. ;~; Thank you so very much! IT MEANS ALOT! It works like a charm!

And ahh;; Maybe it's the way I unpack it? Or it's my computer? I'm not too sure...;; But yes, thank you very, very much!
Consistency of the font as first priority? I have a few things to say to that, but that aside, it's going to be a bit hard with the space we're allowed to work with. (It's really narrow, and English goes left to right, not up to down. >_<

The newspaper is one of the hardest things, and I'm still thinking of a design for it. (I did edit a bit of the text, but it's so horrible, I don't want to look at it.)

Anyways, I took a bit of your guys advice and I kind of came up with this, trying to make it consistent yet look nicer at the same time. Is it better than the other two, or are the former ones still better? ^^;

There's also one other question, which is... should I create a new banner for this, or should I leave it untouched with the japanese words? I could make something similar, but the chances of getting the EXACT same picture without the words there is quite low. The banner and text are in one image, not two.

So yes, should I leave it be in Japanese, or make it very similar for translation?
Here are the banners without text:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7j33qey5q0ckr8m/th135_location_banners.rar

cuc

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »
Great work! You used backGround\min ("low background quality" texture) to make these, right?

The only one of your banners that's noticeably different from the original is the Treasure Ship. And this is because the original banner IS different from the finished game.

Original:

Yours:

As a banner, the original is better - Tenshi and Iku clutters up the sky, and having only Lily White's feet in the banner also looks worse.

Perhaps you can try using the same file from the second web demo (earlier version may not have the "min" files at all), since the banner could be based on it... But no worry, it's not that important.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:45:15 PM by cuc »

LadyScarlet

« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
This is what I've done so far.

My main concerns about character names are Miko and Futo. As you can see here, dashes don't look very good. In fact, I had to change their titles so their names would fit at all. Maybe it could just be my font choice? Idk.

This I'm so-so about. I think I should change the font to be more consistent with the character select, as well as a few other things I can't remember right now. I know the stage names aren't lined up; I'm just throwing out the concept. What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 05:51:48 PM by LadyScarlet »

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »
Great work! You used backGround\min ("low background quality" texture) to make these, right?

The only one of your banners that's noticeably different from the original is the Treasure Ship. And this is because the original banner IS different from the finished game.

Original:

Yours:

As a banner, the original is better - Tenshi and Iku clutters up the sky, and having only Lily White's feet in the banner also looks worse.

Perhaps you can try using the same file from the second web demo (earlier version may not have the "min" files at all), since the banner could be based on it... But no worry, it's not that important.
I tried looking at it, though it would mean the ship itself would be less present on the shot (and more covered by the "grey mist" before the ship). Either that, or just having Lily out of frame.

My main concerns about character names are Miko and Futo. As you can see here, dashes don't look very good. In fact, I had to change their titles so their names would fit at all. Maybe it could just be my font choice? Idk.

This I'm so-so about. I think I should change the font to be more consistent with the character select, as well as a few other things I can't remember right now. I know the stage names aren't lined up; I'm just throwing out the concept. What do you think?
I myself am not fond on that one word on each line for the character titles. Perhaps It could be done vertically, like this?

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/513/62m4.png
(Don't mention the different font, it was done before the game was fully released)

LadyScarlet

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2013, 11:16:55 PM »
I myself am not fond on that one word on each line for the character titles. Perhaps It could be done vertically, like this?

(Don't mention the different font, it was done before the game was fully released)
I don't know, I think that'd be kind of hard to read. You'd have to tilt your head, but I digress.

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2013, 12:49:54 AM »
I have a question: Where do you find the Stage names? Like the text here: http://i.imgur.com/rXYHYu9.jpg
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

LadyScarlet

« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:54 AM »
I believe they're in this folder:

<Hopeless Masquerade root folder>/th135/data/csv/story/<character name>

Of course, I can't be sure because I can't open the DDS files in the th135 folder, even with a DDS viewer.

« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2013, 01:31:33 AM »
I believe they're in this folder:

<Hopeless Masquerade root folder>/th135/data/csv/story/<character name>

Of course, I can't be sure because I can't open the DDS files in the th135 folder, even with a DDS viewer.

I can convert it to PNG. i will give it when i am back from work.

cuc

« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2013, 02:41:41 AM »
Image viewers such as IrfanView or XNView all support DDS now.

For editing DDS in Photoshop, you can download this plugin:
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

A basic advice: prioritize things.

I believe we should leave all the vertical text (vertical character names, story stage names, match announcements...) alone now. It's quite impossible to fit anything into their dimensions and still look good. Instead, we shall wait until we have the method to change the definition of their dimensions in the script files.

Fortunately, none of those vertical parts are essential to playing the game. The parts that are essential: various system menus, and help text.

But even before working on them, we should find a consistent style for our work, that is an appropriate match for the game's original style.

Next: probably posting some ideas about style... I'm still awfully busy.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:12:07 AM by cuc »

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2013, 12:23:14 AM »

Oooh, maybe you could change the spacing a bit? And where did you get the titles from? =o

Well, there's still making the text in the character screen and the ending horizontal. You could position the text in the speech bubbles, but I don't think there's a way to change the font size or make it centered, I think. D: Or changing the font, eee. >A<;

« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »

I think this is a good idea, personally. You know, if you're just looking for opinions.

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2013, 02:42:39 PM »
I think this is a good idea, personally. You know, if you're just looking for opinions.
It's alright but it's kind of a bit neck stretching. 8D; Of course, this is just my opinion!

OOOHHHH QUWANTI THANKS but you did the masking wrong D8;;

Just get the top part of the "Random Select" image and copy it down!

And then a clean image! Go ahead and use your screenshots on that, and add a clipping mask and...

TADAH-*SHOT*

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »
It's alright but it's kind of a bit neck stretching. 8D; Of course, this is just my opinion!
Well, it's not like anyone is going to read the name and title everytime a new match starts.
OOOHHHH QUWANTI THANKS but you did the masking wrong D8;;

Just get the top part of the "Random Select" image and copy it down!

And then a clean image! Go ahead and use your screenshots on that, and add a clipping mask and...

TADAH-*SHOT*
I see. I 'd figure I did something wrong when I saw the comparison between de Seirensen Ship shot of Cuc. k=w=

Anyway, I've updated them with the correct masking (I hope..?).
I've also included the .xcf (gimp) file with the non-transparant versions.

Also, I actually like the font on Orin's Club banner.

LadyScarlet

« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »
I'm going to throw a few more ideas out there.

Name fonts:

Practice menu (and menus in general) :

The only parts of the menu that were troublesome were the Spirit Recovery and 2P Control options. I don't think 2P Height is the correct way to word it, either; if someone could suggest better wording, that would be great.

« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »

The only parts of the menu that were troublesome were the Spirit Recovery and 2P Control options. I don't think 2P Height is the correct way to word it, either; if someone could suggest better wording, that would be great.
Could you use position? And change 'up' to 'top' and 'down' to 'bottom'...
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2013, 12:36:33 AM »
I'm going to throw a few more ideas out there.

Name fonts:

Oooohhh, I really love the effect you used for the names. 8D

The letters look a bit too small at the second screen, maybe you could reduce the width for them instead so the height remains the same?

AND ASJFHASJF I JUST REALIZED, how did you get your black outline for the profiles at the bottom?

Also, I actually like the font on Orin's Club banner.
It's called URWImperial. I'm using it for different things in mine.

It's alright but you have to manually cut the letters which go 'below the line' like letters g, p, j, and y. D:

cuc

« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
Gah, so tired... I'll try to sound as coherent as I can muster...

which font are you using in this one?

The items you are not sure about are "Fast Spirit Recovery" and "2P Behavior". The options for "2P Behavior" are: "Normal", "Move Up", "Move Down", "Com" and "2P Control". Also, all those options you wrote as "On/Off" are better as "Yes/No", and the last option for "Guard" is "Only Once". (You can also look up the menu translations at http://shinkirou.koumakan.jp.)

For "Fast Spirit Recovery", you probably have to squeeze the letters, and shorten it to something like "Fast Spirit Regen./Recov."

Also note two differences between your work and the original:

1. In the original, there is a relatively constant cutoff point for the item names, so there is a space between "Recovery" and "KeyF4", while the items below the hotkey names also don't exceed this cutoff point. This looks nicer.

2. You have not edited the difficulty options, so they are now in a different font from your whole menu.

It's called URWImperial. I'm using it for different things in mine.
You are using URWImperial for the help text at the bottom? They look good,

Have you tested using italicized help text? Granted, italicized help text sounds like a terrible idea in English...

Next post:
explanation, ideas...

EDIT:

Can you suggest any English fonts that are similar in style to those in the original menus? They don't have to be in the same width/height proportion - Tasofro may have stretched those letters wider than they normally are.

Another example, from the game manual:

I'm still leaning toward using the Mercury Text family for the menus. It's not similar, but it's a beautiful font. (Download)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:01:07 PM by cuc »