Author Topic: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?  (Read 219237 times)

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?
« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »
Just watched the first four episodes of Princess Jellyfish. I knew it'd be good, but it's even better than I thought.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #271 on: October 31, 2015, 02:43:01 AM »
Though I've known about it for years, I've just recently started watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I went in having already spoiled myself of a lot of stuff, but somehow that's not making a difference. Actually seeing all this stuff play out is still making me feel really uneasy afterward, to the point where I've had trouble even watching more than one episode at once (at least after the first few). Against my better judgment, I did episodes 7-9 all last night, and hoo boy, I feel like that was the ending of a major story in itself. Don't know if I'll feel the same way about the rest considering the transition after episode 9 (I became surprisingly attached to
Spoiler:
Sayaka, but now that she's dead...
), but we'll see. It's been a long time since a story has affected me this deeply.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #272 on: October 31, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »
Aaaaaand Euphonium gets a sequel.

YAY.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #273 on: November 03, 2015, 11:23:35 AM »
someone showed me rakudais op

"Shit, that's some sick animation for another of these adaptations, do you actually get to see this?"

Cue a classic "eh give it 3 EPs"

I am so confused, if I follow even this one that would totally make my schedule intolerable, what do?

Side note: marina inoue as oikura hollllllly balls that's some very sharp shit there, I literally think I got teary eyed off that exchange, both from like, dunno, relatability? Sympathy? I must sound totally ridiculous though given I don't have nearly as bad a situation, but the presentation of that entire fiasco and its aftereffects on such a vibrant and outstanding character is something, sasuga nisios

>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #274 on: November 04, 2015, 03:54:24 AM »
Though I've known about it for years, I've just recently started watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I went in having already spoiled myself of a lot of stuff, but somehow that's not making a difference. Actually seeing all this stuff play out is still making me feel really uneasy afterward, to the point where I've had trouble even watching more than one episode at once (at least after the first few). Against my better judgment, I did episodes 7-9 all last night, and hoo boy, I feel like that was the ending of a major story in itself. Don't know if I'll feel the same way about the rest considering the transition after episode 9 (I became surprisingly attached to
Spoiler:
Sayaka, but now that she's dead...
), but we'll see. It's been a long time since a story has affected me this deeply.

Don't actually read this until you finish Rebellion but...

Spoiler:
You haven't seen the last or the best of Sayaka even though she's dead. Nobody in my circle of anime friends really liked her that much compared to all of the other characters in the main series, but her arc in Rebellion is incredibly fulfilling and sweet and she's gone way up in all of our estimation since watching it a few times. She actually gets to be the badass white knight she wanted to be in the series, she gets closure with Kyoko, and the whole movie seems to basically be setup for a Puella Magi Sayaka Magica sequel series.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #275 on: November 05, 2015, 02:23:41 AM »
Don't actually read this until you finish Rebellion but...

Spoiler:
You haven't seen the last or the best of Sayaka even though she's dead. Nobody in my circle of anime friends really liked her that much compared to all of the other characters in the main series, but her arc in Rebellion is incredibly fulfilling and sweet and she's gone way up in all of our estimation since watching it a few times. She actually gets to be the badass white knight she wanted to be in the series, she gets closure with Kyoko, and the whole movie seems to basically be setup for a Puella Magi Sayaka Magica sequel series.
Unlike the anime, I did go into Rebellion mostly spoiler-free. I still knew a very small handful of details, such as
Spoiler:
Sayaka returning and that she had some hidden role
, but I didn't spoil what that was exactly. It was refreshing to see her (and others) in more "traditional" battles this time, though at least partly because of how much it contrasts her story arc in the original show.

The reason I found her so compelling a character was because
Spoiler:
I've gone through a form of depression myself in the past. Different circumstances, not even counting the whole "being a magical girl" business, and not so deeply as to become suicidal, thankfully, but it was more the "process" of it that I could identify with. The kinds of negative thoughts she had, and understanding where they come from and how they could steadily twist her mind into despair. That affected me more closely than any fighting display ever could.

On a much lighter and more superficial note, I do also like her
Spoiler:
musical motif
. This has become my new phone wallpaper lol.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #276 on: November 05, 2015, 03:16:49 AM »
Unlike the anime, I did go into Rebellion mostly spoiler-free. I still knew a very small handful of details, such as
Spoiler:
Sayaka returning and that she had some hidden role
, but I didn't spoil what that was exactly. It was refreshing to see her (and others) in more "traditional" battles this time, though at least partly because of how much it contrasts her story arc in the original show.

The reason I found her so compelling a character was because
Spoiler:
I've gone through a form of depression myself in the past. Different circumstances, not even counting the whole "being a magical girl" business, and not so deeply as to become suicidal, thankfully, but it was more the "process" of it that I could identify with. The kinds of negative thoughts she had, and understanding where they come from and how they could steadily twist her mind into despair. That affected me more closely than any fighting display ever could.

On a much lighter and more superficial note, I do also like her
Spoiler:
musical motif
. This has become my new phone wallpaper lol.

Spoiler:
My appreciation of Sayaka in Rebellion doesn't have much to do with her fight scenes (she didn't really get to do that much except in the big group fight), but in her redemption as a hero. I think her heart was honestly in the right place when she made her wish, even if it was selfish, and it never sat quite right with me that she got punished for her mistakes as hard as she did. Her arc feels a lot more satisfying after Rebellion, since now she gets to learn and grow from her mistake rather than being completely ruined by it, but without compromising everything she went through in the series. We get to see her grow as a person rather than being dragged down and destroyed, which seems like a more fitting fate for someone who had such noble intentions.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #277 on: November 05, 2015, 03:53:32 AM »
Spoiler:
My appreciation of Sayaka in Rebellion doesn't have much to do with her fight scenes (she didn't really get to do that much except in the big group fight), but in her redemption as a hero. I think her heart was honestly in the right place when she made her wish, even if it was selfish, and it never sat quite right with me that she got punished for her mistakes as hard as she did. Her arc feels a lot more satisfying after Rebellion, since now she gets to learn and grow from her mistake rather than being completely ruined by it, but without compromising everything she went through in the series. We get to see her grow as a person rather than being dragged down and destroyed, which seems like a more fitting fate for someone who had such noble intentions.

That is true I guess. Something else I can relate to after how much I've improved as a person myself. Though I would disagree that her fate in the original show was "undue punishment" either,
Spoiler:
unless you count the whole "fate worse than death" aspect of becoming a witch, which is certainly not anything anyone in real life can say they've experienced
. One point of the show as a whole was to demonstrate that noble intentions aren't all-powerful or worthy of total entitlement - that what you think constitutes "doing the right thing" doesn't mean that everything afterward is going to come up roses, often because one's perception of reality happened to be mistaken. Just like in real life, really.
Spoiler:
Even Madoka's wish had drawbacks, some of which weren't immediately apparent
. Yes,
Spoiler:
Sayaka becoming a witch
was a downer, but the progression to that point made perfect sense to me from a storytelling perspective.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:09:48 AM by ふねん1 »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #278 on: November 05, 2015, 02:38:07 PM »
That is true I guess. Something else I can relate to after how much I've improved as a person myself. Though I would disagree that her fate in the original show was "undue punishment" either,
Spoiler:
unless you count the whole "fate worse than death" aspect of becoming a witch, which is certainly not anything anyone in real life can say they've experienced
. One point of the show as a whole was to demonstrate that noble intentions aren't all-powerful or worthy of total entitlement - that what you think constitutes "doing the right thing" doesn't mean that everything afterward is going to come up roses, often because one's perception of reality happened to be mistaken. Just like in real life, really.
Spoiler:
Even Madoka's wish had drawbacks, some of which weren't immediately apparent
. Yes,
Spoiler:
Sayaka becoming a witch
was a downer, but the progression to that point made perfect sense to me from a storytelling perspective.

I feel bad about continuing to hijack this thread for a side conversation, but apparently not too bad because I'm still doing it.

Spoiler:
I don't think becoming a witch is completely unrelatable to people, since it's ultimately a case of becoming everything you hate, which is a real fear with real-world applications

In Madoka the moral of Sayaka's story seemed to be "Don't try to help other people for selfish reasons, or you'll end up doing more harm than good". That's a very reasonable lesson, and not necessarily anything I take exception to. I start to have a problem, though, with the fact that this doesn't seem to be a persistent problem in Sayaka's character*. It's her response to being given an unfair, exploitative offer by Kyubey. So she certainly deserved to learn a lesson from it, but I think being utterly destroyed and seeing all of her work undone by her own hand and then some is needlessly harsh.

The addendum to this lesson that Rebellion makes is that, with enough suffering, perserverance, and reflection you can fix your mistakes to some degree. It's ultimately more productive to try to understand where you went wrong and try to fix it in an informed way than it is to give in to your failure. That's not a contradictory message to the first one, just a more hopeful addendum to it, and one that I think has more real world applications than the idea that your failures will destroy you.

Gen Urobuchi has this trend going with the movie sequels to his series that they bring thematic flaws in his original work to light and address them. I think Rebellion does that and I think the Psycho Pass movie does that. In Sayaka's case her arc wasn't a thematic flaw per se like the other major thing Rebellion addresses, but it feels more complete to me now than it did before, and it went from being a facet of Madoka that I didn't feel a strong personal connection from to one that I do. I recognize tjat that's just opinion, but it worked very well for me personally.

Spoiler:
Although now that I think about it, that scene witj Sayaka bringing Kamijo that CD in the hospital and him freaking out at her is a counter-example. I suppose maybe the intent was, at least where he's concerned, this has been a pre-existing flaw in her character. My point still stands more or less the same, but I never thought about that connection before.

Massaca

• すやぁ...
« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »
Last Wed and Thurs, read Wife and Wife during quiet time at work. Lovely and very fun yuri manga. Ran 18 chapters. 13 of them were 16-17 pages and 6 were 8 pages. Final chapter came in at 24. Plus a couple tiny bonus ones and extras. There was also an extra doujin chapter the author did for Comiket 78 at 26 pages showing how the main couple met and got together.
I just loved this so much. Mostly just the usual comedy fun and flirty times. The main couple are _adorable_. There's a second couple introduced in Ch.05 or 06 who are quite annoying every now and then with this whole embarrassed > punch/headbutt thing the short one does to her partner but otherwise they're fine. There is a love triangle sort of thing not involving the main and second couples but its only like 2 chapters IIRC and resolves fine.
It was a wonderful read for me with a really nice ending but now I need to find something else to go through at work... might re-read through Nanoha StrikerS Nano, that was great last time and it's been a little while. Then read this again ^_^

Just caught up on Aikatsu! I was up to ep 127 of my rewatch but Akari and co are just, iunno, kinda not as fun. I mean I like Akari and Sumire but Hinaki is kinda just ok and Juri is half ok and half annoying then when the two new ones come in (Rin & Madoka) and I don't care for them much, esp Madoka. And oh god how I hate Kokone (but she's only there for a couple eps IIRC). So I skipped to back to where I left off, ep 143, and well apart from one bad one they were all really good to excellent eps. Couldn't stop watching until I ran out after ep 156 haha. I even enjoyed Juri, Rin & Madoka in these ones. Been a few crappy songs lately but hells yes Diamond Happy (my fav Aikatsu song) and the original Idol Katsudou came back once each.
Anyway, I really wanted to catch up because I'd heard the new pair as of ep 152-ish are good and refreshing so I wanted to check them out. And yes, they were fantastic for the 3 eps they've had so far and I quite like the new ED (also their song for now). Really excited for new eps again.

Gochuumon wa Usagi desk ka?? still feels off a lot of the time. Has its moments for sure but not a great amount by any means. It's a lot weaker than the first was for me, seems to have much less charm and I'm not fussed on much of the comedy part. Rather disappointing so far overall.

Yuru Yuri San Hai! mostly great. Enjoying more Ayano especially since the Nachuyachumi eps, also like how she doesn't even retort when Chitose uses the words "the one you love". And more Akane (Akari's sister) is great too ^_^ Little bit more of her and Tomoko (Chinatsu's sister) would be nice but I'm guessing that'll pretty much have been it. But hey then I'll just be excited if there's more. But yeah, apart from Kyoko being overly annoying in the second half of ep 5 (and I normally love her), going pretty great.

Also waiting excitedly for subs for Illya 2wei Herz special 2, watched it raw last Monday and it looks quite promising. More Kuro and Illya is just such a damn great thing <3

StainGlass

• Not the only one
« Reply #280 on: November 10, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »
Currently watching the second season of Mushishi Zoku Shou, it really helps to de-stress which is exactly what I need.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #281 on: November 12, 2015, 04:05:17 AM »
Just finished reading Pandora Hearts. I had stopped some time a few years ago, just dropped it for whatever reason, so I had to reread it from the beginning and finished it through to the end. Boy what a ride that was. Such a twisted, but beautiful tale. Very unexpected too. It certainly didn't lead anywhere at all where I was expecting it to by like the half way point. So it was pretty interesting in that regards too.
Haah, I hate finishing series' that I enjoy, makes me so empty afterwards.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2015, 07:33:40 PM »
DNIWE 35, ep. 07

I refuse to believe. The next episode must start from a violent cokb, and then there will be 4 nude girls and 1 boy with his fly undone.
__

It's either Somera-chan getting better from episode to episode, or just me becoming weaboo-er faster than I expected. Or both.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:14:30 PM by 'ω' »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2015, 11:12:45 PM »

Some parts weren't stellar (because Toei), but the fight scenes were great (because Toei), and it is a nice start for a new season. The characters are even better than before and seeing the group reunited again is sooooo nice.

I already can't wait for the second film now.

Spoiler:
Seriously, Omegamon vs Alphamon was too good to stop there.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2015, 08:10:04 PM »
Currently watching Shimoneta at the behest of a friend.

Usually I'm not too interested in dirty jokes but it's funny so far, I'll admit. Especially how they make a joke of censoring everything.

there's also the deeper meaning in realizing the irony that a society like Japan having no indecency would mean they wouldn't know how to reproduce, much like their declining birthrates due to the same phenomenon that this very show flanderizes.

EDIT: Okay I'm watching the OP of #2 right now and NOW I'm interested. It's going full Excell now.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:17:21 PM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #285 on: December 04, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »
Currently watching Shimoneta at the behest of a friend.

Usually I'm not too interested in dirty jokes but it's funny so far, I'll admit. Especially how they make a joke of censoring everything.

there's also the deeper meaning in realizing the irony that a society like Japan having no indecency would mean they wouldn't know how to reproduce, much like their declining birthrates due to the same phenomenon that this very show flanderizes.

EDIT: Okay I'm watching the OP of #2 right now and NOW I'm interested. It's going full Excell now.
Taking the porn away from the Otakus won't hurt Japan's birth rate any more, I'm sure.  :fail:  Okay I don't actually want to start a discussion on this but it's complicated, and the show does have a deeper meaning which is cool.

And you ain't seen nothing yet.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:36:33 PM by BT »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #286 on: December 04, 2015, 09:07:14 PM »

Some parts weren't stellar (because Toei), but the fight scenes were great (because Toei), and it is a nice start for a new season. The characters are even better than before and seeing the group reunited again is sooooo nice.

I already can't wait for the second film now.

Spoiler:
Seriously, Omegamon vs Alphamon was too good to stop there.

I'd have watched it but it dosen't air in Europe Crunchroll so I've not actually WATCHED it yet.

I'm still keeping track of all the promotional news and everything.

Spoiler:
Promotion images confirm the other 6 are getting their Megas; since it shows Mimi and Joe with Rosemon and Vikemon. Because while Adventure did do well keeping the ones stuck at Ultimate relevant compared to the other seasons, Omnimon kinda makes those stuck at Ultimate... yeah.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:08:48 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #287 on: December 04, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »
I could have sworn that one of the Shimoneta characters was Mayumi Shintani (Non Non, Haruko), which would have made this anime all the sweeter, but it's unfortunately just a soundalike.

Still caught me off guard though
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Delfigamer

« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2015, 10:20:05 AM »
Arai Satomi was all I've been asking for since Naoko-san, and until Shimoseka was announced.
Holy balls, that stuff was even better than I expected, and I expected a lot. In fact, its only rival for AOTY2k15 is One-Punch. Though, that's my personal opinion.

Emelia K. Fletcher

• regular nymphoid polygon
« Reply #289 on: December 10, 2015, 08:24:34 PM »
just started Shomin Sample and this is the first five seconds of the OP

is gon be good

(i hear from a friend it's a pretty riproaring comedy and i should fully expect to just be cracking a smile throughout)

PAD 372,390,342 // PADherder

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #290 on: December 11, 2015, 03:37:21 AM »
just started Shomin Sample and this is the first five seconds of the OP
At the last second, you'll see macho men that haunt your mind forever.
The five seconds of the OP bothered me though, maybe it's because of its recycled animation. (Look at her lifting her leg, look at her spinning roun' and roun')

I never thought watching Lupin III's adventure would be so much fun, especially the newest one. The only problem with the newest anime is the first scene is Lupin marrying a new character. That scene leaves me (a newcomer) and (maybe) long time fans dumbstruck. It's like watching Hyperdimension Neptunia where the first scene is a treaty of the four nations without introducing us to the characters first.

Toys: miracle blossoms flowering in the hearts of the chosen.
Some bloom into flowers of purity, others into flowers of poison.
It is the age of the Great Detectives.
These two flowers wage war to see which is the most beautiful:
the Great Detectives or the Gentlemen Thieves.

I applause anyone who can narrate that without feeling weird. Whereas Lupin III is fun, Tantei Opera Milky Holmes is..... insane. It's like seeing a bunch of retarded high-school girls/ hilariously incompetent detectives doing cute things.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:02:52 AM by Your Everyday NEET »

Delfigamer

« Reply #291 on: December 11, 2015, 03:57:53 AM »
At the last second, you'll see macho men that haunt your mind forever.
Oh yes. One of the recurring jokes is that MC is into macho men, and it will be used, so prepare your mind bleach beforehand.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:01:15 AM by 'ω' »

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #292 on: December 11, 2015, 04:07:30 AM »
Oh yes. One of the recurring jokes is that MC is into macho men, and it will be used, so prepare your mind bleach beforehand.
His real fetish is thigh though. He'll have to force himself to like macho men, otherwise he'll lose his... part.

Emelia K. Fletcher

« Reply #293 on: December 11, 2015, 07:29:22 AM »
i don't see why i'd need mind bleach for this into the third episode and luckily they seem to have realised the muscle fetish joke instantly got stale and aren't using it too much

Delfigamer

« Reply #294 on: December 11, 2015, 01:33:56 PM »
i don't see why i'd need mind bleach for this
Yep. After gems like "Macademi Wasshoi" and "Busou Renkin", Shomin Sample is pancakes. And there's a reason why I don't link them.
_

Small Fry Platoon 10
By Freud's super-ego, it's Embers of Love all over again.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 05:27:59 PM by 'ω' »

« Reply #295 on: December 11, 2015, 10:49:54 PM »
It's like seeing a bunch of retarded high-school girls/ hilariously incompetent detectives doing cute things.
That's not how similes work.

« Reply #296 on: December 11, 2015, 11:39:40 PM »
I'm digging Shingeki no Soma and Bleach at the moment with a side of One Punch Man!

Emelia K. Fletcher

« Reply #297 on: December 12, 2015, 03:24:42 AM »
okay i just got sucked into Gakkou Gurashi for the last three hours and god am i an absolute sucker for this it is so amazing i cannot sing its praises well enough

Kurumi the best character obviously

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #298 on: December 12, 2015, 08:28:29 AM »
Yesterday I actually gave SAO Abridged (SWE) a shot and it was really good. Like, wat.

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »
That's not how similes work.
My grammar isn't exactly the best and this is the first time I've heard the word "simile".

I got a question to ask
[attach=1]
Where is this song come from? I know it's from anime 'cause I've seen this PV in Anime Festival Asia but I haven't got it's title. Could you guys help me?