Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou status update  (Read 412750 times)

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: DDC cover art; HM OST
« Reply #330 on: July 27, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »
We've already all seen it and know it's a hoax. ^^;
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #331 on: July 27, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »
Actually, there's (supposedly) already a leaked image of the last boss. A friend of mine sent me this link on skype earlier today. Dunno where it comes from though, so it could just be a hoax; potential spoilers though.
That image has already been posted, even in this thread.

http://wstaw.org/m/2013/07/24/1374664920643.jpg

The fanbase is strong within this one xD

EDIT: post warning failed me.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:15:44 PM by Darkness1 »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #332 on: July 27, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »
We've already all seen it and know it's a hoax. ^^;
Bwaha, thought as much. My appologies ^^;

Latest works
The Strongest

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #333 on: July 29, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »
WaHH Vol. 3 has been released, and Azuma Aya did a book signing at July 27 in Animate of Shinjuku, Tokyo. Her next stop will be in Melonbooks of Nihonbashi, Osaka, at August 4. I'll try to compile a book release report with as little effort as possible.

Tasofro has posted on the HM OST page a 2-minute crossfade sample of "Shinkirou Festival Orchestra", "Select Performer", "Last Word Unleashed" and "The Lost Emotion (Arrange Version)".
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #334 on: July 29, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »
Tasofro has posted on the HM OST page a 2-minute crossfade sample of "Shinkirou Festival Orchestra", "Select Performer", "Last Word Unleashed" and "The Lost Emotion (Arrange Version)".
I was almost afraid this wouldn't happen.

Damn, "Last Word Unleashed" and the arrangement version of Lost Emotion sounds amazing.

I would love to hear those unused tracks within the game.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:56:29 PM by Quwanti »

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: Touhou 14 is completed
« Reply #335 on: July 31, 2013, 02:57:46 AM »
Twitter catch-up (you can jump to the next post if you don't have time, although there are some funny nuggets here):

July 10:
ZUN: Why is there competition when the developer is one person~. Could it be... who's there!?
ZUN: "The reason of delay is receiving funding that exceeded expectation." Ah, ahh. [Link to a report about the delay of Double Fine's crowdfunded adventure game "Broken Age"]

July 12:
Nikenme Radio broadcast. This month's broadcast is earlier than usual (because ZUN needed time for game development.)

July 13:
Obon Festival.

July 14:
ZUN was unable to participate in this month's PoriPori Club broadcast. During the live show...
ZUN: I want to play with them on this huge screen...

ZUN: Game is life! I can't do anything about it!

ZUN: Yes. After all, I should go and play with them~. Perhaps during a bonus broadcast~

ZUN: I plan to have a drink in a pub on the way before joining them.
And that's how ZUN abandoned his work to join PoriPori Club, yet failed to show up. The end.

July 15:
ZUN: Right, today is the 30th anniversary of Famicom's (known as NES worldwide) release. Back when we first bought it, my whole family turned off the light to look at the game graphics. However we eventually had a Famicom ban, so I could only play sneakily.

July 16:
Someone: We can't be at peace when the development of DDC is having a rough going :-).

ZUN: Huh? Who said it's having a rough going?

Same person: Eh? On July 3, Mr. ZUN tweeted it's necessary to have the courage to discard unsatisfactory music and artwork -> the development of DDC is not going well. That's what I thought (;^o^)

ZUN: It only indicated I have enough surplus time I could afford discarding work :-). The development is going well.
(On the same day: release of Hopeless Masquerade patch Version 1.10.)

July 17:
ZUN: |-`).。oO(Even with the guideline, derivative creations in forms I'd never thought of still come up one after another.
Note: if you don't get the emoticon in this tweet, try leaning your head right by 90 degrees. It's a person peeking from behind a wall and thinking.

July 19:
ZUN: From the first half of this year's media coverage, convention events and other places, I knew one thing. I have no interest in military.
(On the same day: release of Double Dealing Character web trial version.)

July 20-22:
July 21 is the senate election day, and ZUN tweeted about the candidates.

July 23:
ZUN: To look up something, I went through my iPhone photos, a majority of which are me drinking beer.
(On the same day: DDC blog update, cover art.)

July 26:
ZUN: I feel happy when I see other people are happy. Therefore I want to make other people see me being happy when making games. Therefore I must drink. Even when the yearly onslaught is coming.

ZUN: I begin to drink, for a reason as noble as imaginable.

July 27:
ZUN: Before I noticed, people who started with Touhou derivative creations have gradually had their debut as pros. There'll definitely be one day when they all invite me to have beer, I believe.
(On the same day: WaHH Vol. 3 released.)

July 28:
ZUN: It's strange that a work driven by hobby has a deadline.
DNA: You are welcome to send tip-offs to Nae Radio.

[Link: ZUN's friend DNA has arranged a Nae Radio broadcast, generally taking place around Comiket events, at 9:30 PM, August 3, on a Saturday.]

ZUN: But I've already made an oath in heart to go bathing in a hot spring for Saturday.

July 29:
ZUN: The reason I become tired when the deadline is near shouldn't be because I haven't rested or so on. It should be because I'm fully concentrated on looking at danmaku and dodging it. I'm covered by sweat.

ZUN: Danmaku dieting.

ZUN: At the high point of onslaught, I have no spare time for taking photos. But it's sad if I'm the only one here, yet I can't take pictures of my development scene.

July 30:
ZUN: Counting those sent by other people, I can just exhaust my beer reserve at home when the deadline arrives. My schedule control is exceptional.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:46:44 AM by cuc »

cuc

« Reply #336 on: July 31, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »
ZUN's tweets today (July 31):

At 8 AM:
ZUN: I asked the wife to help with debugging, then it ended up lasting till this morning.

ZUN: The wife said the game was too hard, but I think it should be easy. I can average over 6 remaining lives at Normal.

At 11 AM:
ZUN: The CD was burnt. The bamboo grove was burnt.
Note: the second sentence is a palindrome. It reads the same in reverse: takeyabu yaketa.

At 12 AM:
ZUN: Installed using the master CD, and beat the game once. This anxiety is something else.

ZUN: Haven't left home in a long while. But I'm afraid I'll be defeated by the winds of subway.

At 13 AM:
ZUN: All in all, DDC has gone gold! I'm turning back into a human.

ZUN: I'll go home after a little drinking.

At 14 AM:
ZUN: This year's big task that had kept me in hiding since winter has concluded at last. When I realized it, the time is already summer. All the task that remains is to play games while swimming in booze.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:57:25 PM by cuc »

HyperGumba

• Substitutional Immortality
  • Touhou MUCK's PR Person or something
« Reply #337 on: July 31, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »
So is it safe to assume this game will end up being harder than TD? If so, nice. Despite being my favorite title, TD could have been a lot more difficult.

Clicking the signature leads you to our flash-based web client! ~ Here is some extensive info on TM! ~ I also have a Tumblr now!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #338 on: July 31, 2013, 09:30:08 AM »
Let's hope that ZUN is married to a superplayer.

cuc

« Reply #339 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:15 AM »
The two posts above have been completely updated with a twitter catch up.

In terms of difficulty, judging by the demo, DDC should be harder than TD.

Formless God

« Reply #340 on: July 31, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »
Installed using the master CD, and beat the game once.
I hope this thing doesn't choke my i7 like the demo did.

Drake

« Reply #341 on: July 31, 2013, 10:04:14 AM »
I always love 「人間に戻ります」 because it basically means he's going to drown himself in booze. Next few tweets are then usually about him drowning himself in booze. What a guy.

If you weren't aware of the web demo, this was just a bug in the stage 2 background routine that was fixed in the web release of the demo a few weeks ago.

Cuc: Congrats on the Bunbunmaru position. I definitely did not see this coming and wasn't involved in the decision or anything of the sort no sirree
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:13:09 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

cuc

« Reply #342 on: July 31, 2013, 10:07:53 AM »
Generally speaking, it's some bug in the first demo (Version 0.01a) that causes the lagging. The web demo has already fixed that (Version 0.01b).

Formless God

« Reply #343 on: July 31, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
It's ... different. There are fps dips that seem to randomly occur when I'm playing in HD. They were all over Stage 1 and the fish fight. My Stage 2 was ok (doesn't run at 40 fps, dips still there) and I could cancel Sekibanki's stuff without any slowdown.
Thanks for reminding me there's a web demo, though ... I almost forgot about it altogether.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #344 on: July 31, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »
Guy who made the game 1cc's Normal with 6 lives = :ohdear:

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #345 on: July 31, 2013, 03:09:56 PM »
Guy who made the game 1cc's Normal with 6 lives = :ohdear:
That may not necessarily mean that the game will be overly difficult. There are many possibilities that can lead to dumb deaths; like for example not paying attention or random bullet patterns. Not even the creator can predict those with 100% accuracy. Furthermore, for a good number of average players, (myself included)  finishing a game with 6 lives is pretty darn good run. So although it's very possible that the difficulty spikes in stages 4,5 and 6; I don't think that ZUN finishing with 6 lives is a sign of the second coming of SA. If he ever stated that he finished other games with a higher live stock, I will gladly retract my statement.
I finally got ahead!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #346 on: July 31, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
We know that 6 lives is a lot because he said it was easy. Stop trying to overthink this. We know for a fact that DDC Normal won't be hard but that's about it.

Tengukami

« Reply #347 on: July 31, 2013, 03:18:52 PM »
We know that 6 lives is a lot because he said it was easy. Stop trying to overthink this. We know for a fact that DDC Normal won't be hard but that's about it.
WTF? How is it "overthinking"? He made the game, and still finishes with what would be a pretty good, but not fantastic, result for an average player. Don't think it's at all far-fetched to see this as meaningful.

And no, we don't know that for a "fact". The full game isn't even out yet. Where do you even get that from?

FAIR AND BALANCED EDIT:
Toooo be fair, the original sentence has no subject (Japanese grammar, you know). It could be that ki-san (his wife) is the one who averaged 6 lives remaining at Normal, despite complaining about difficulty.
This would be a totally different story, naturally.

Ugh this is confusing having the same conversation in two threads.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:11:47 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #348 on: July 31, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
It says "averaged over 6 remaining lives" so it sounds more like 6 is the minimum than the exact amount, and he's gone over that more than once. I'm not sure why 6 out of 8 is something that was worrying, though.

Edit: I suppose the number of lives you can get probably goes over the max amount of lives in the game so I guess that's something to consider.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:14:03 PM by Polaris »

Tengukami

« Reply #349 on: July 31, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
Just to clarify: 'average of 6' would mean greater and fewer than 6 at different runs; not a minimum of 6.

But yeah, fun to consider where game difficulty will fall.

Zil

« Reply #350 on: July 31, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »
I'm sure Normal will be easy enough that ZUN (as someone who can presumably clear Lunatic with relative ease) could clear it without dying if he really wanted to. The difference in difficulty between this and the next hardest Normal mode would be astronomical otherwise.

He probably means that, playing casually, he screws up a few times and dies, which really doesn't mean anything at all.

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #351 on: July 31, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »
Or that there won't be so many extra lives to get. He also said "averages 6 lives" so it means there are times he can do better, or worse. Maybe.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #352 on: July 31, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »
So TH14 is a-go?  Can't wait!  And now I'm going to steal a moment of everybody's time to say this:
I predict Mima for finally coming back.  Think about it.  She corrupts Reimu's weapons, leaving the miko powerless to stop Mima.  Sakuya begins investigating, so the same happens to her knives.  Marisa's hakkero gets corrupted to avoid people suspecting Mima.
Given the track record, it's probably a theory that will be proven wrong come the release, but I think it makes even more sense in this game than previous installments.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #353 on: July 31, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »
I thought we were already done with this joke.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #354 on: July 31, 2013, 07:14:03 PM »
I'm more with cuc's theory of Issun being the final boss, and the oni he supposedly slayed as the Ex Boss.

Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

« Reply #355 on: July 31, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
Just to clarify: 'average of 6' would mean greater and fewer than 6 at different runs; not a minimum of 6.

But yeah, fun to consider where game difficulty will fall.

It says average of over 6, which was the point I was making :derp:

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #356 on: July 31, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »
I thought we were already done with this joke.
No, I'm serious.  I sincerely think it'll be Mima.
SOMEBODY has to be blindly devoted, after all

Tengukami

« Reply #357 on: July 31, 2013, 08:19:47 PM »
Yes, because the WTC has a shortage of shrill Mima fanboys.

Also,
I think [a Mima comeback] makes even more sense in this game than previous installments.
is something that gets said with the upcoming release of every. single. game.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:35:14 PM by Tengukami »

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
« Reply #358 on: July 31, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »
Unless you'd prefer Ruukoto or Orange or somebody with nigh-zero appreciation, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.  Another way to look at it could be like this:
SA - Everybody expects Mima.  No Mima.
TD - Same ordeal, though with less people.
HM - Mostly Mima fans such as myself expect it.  Still nothing.
By this point, even the Mima fans (or at least the ones I've spoken to) are doubting her comeback.  I think it makes sense in that context.

Yes, it is unlikely, and yes, people expect it every single time, but I chose one character to like more than the rest, and we've not heard from her since Mystic Square.  If Alice can get a comeback, Mima can.

Unless Sanae turns out to be one of those "PC-98 became Windows" girls like some say with Orange and Meiling, but that's a whole different beast entirely

Monkeypro257

« Reply #359 on: July 31, 2013, 09:05:01 PM »
Mima seems likely from the overall characters to appear since ZUN states that the PC-98 crew aren't gone, but he just doesn't know how to add them to the story itself. (Something like that)  :ohdear: