Author Topic: 11th Touhou Series Popularity Contest: Results are here!  (Read 77176 times)

Ps

• Hiding from LoLK spoilers
Re: 11th Touhou Series Popularity Contest: Results are here!
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2015, 10:13:28 PM »
Can you enlighten me about knife phone memes? Did they become known outside touhou community?

Koishi's Last Word in Urban Legend in Limbo is a reference to the "Mary-san" urban legend. Mary-san is an abandoned doll that returns to its owner, making phone calls to announce its location as it gets closer and closer. The final call is "I'm right behind you." Here's a related picture from the game.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »
...part of me thinks that the folks out there confused Renko and Sumireko for one another. I mean, they're both with the surname Usami, so I think that that's what happened...

If you're favourite character is Renko or Sumireko you'd be smart enough to know the difference between the two. Not the mention the fact that the characters were sorted by game, voters for Sumireko just went to the ULiL part.

My thought is that she just became more popular over time. I noticed a rise in Sealing Club related fanworks past few years.

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2015, 10:34:13 PM »
Sumireko may also have simply reminded people that Renko exists. "Oh yeah, I liked Renko, didn't I?" I don't think most people keep a full list of their top 5 in their head at all times, so it might have affect the 2-5 slots significantly.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2015, 10:40:37 PM »
Also, I think that the fact that U.N. Owen and Hartmann's Youkai Girl are separated by Septette for The Dead Princess is telling me that Remilia doesn't want Koishi near her little sister in the music department...

>Hey lady, do you have a fishing rod...? (≡^∇^≡)

Sweetness and love~ ♥

« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:37 AM »
Koishi's Last Word in Urban Legend in Limbo is a reference to the "Mary-san" urban legend. Mary-san is an abandoned doll that returns to its owner, making phone calls to announce its location as it gets closer and closer. The final call is "I'm right behind you." Here's a related picture from the game.

I know that) But I asked about memes, not about Koishi's UL)

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2015, 01:15:24 AM »
I certainly can't think of anyone who would vote Reimu as their favorite character.
:(

Personally I don't see how U.N. Owen and Hartmann are so high. Septette is really good imo, but that's probably because I have a thing for final boss themes for some reason.

kevin1127

• 古明地こいし is cute and beautiful!!
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2015, 02:47:08 AM »
有効投票数
・キャラ部門:32,244票
・音楽部門:20,843票

Total number of valid votes
・Character: 32,244 votes (last year: 31,040 votes)
・Music: 20,843 votes (last year: 23,283 votes)

Great, no need to analyse music category, because it's already screwed
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:11:39 AM by kevin1127 »

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2015, 03:20:38 AM »
有効投票数
・キャラ部門:32,244票
・音楽部門:20,843票

Total number of valid votes
・Character: 32,444 votes (last year: 31,040 votes)
・Music: 20,843 votes (last year: 23,283 votes)

Great, no need to analysis music category, because it's already screwed

If this is referring to the sheet, it has been updated to 32244.

ChronaSE

• Doremy-rekt
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2015, 03:29:40 AM »
Glad Koishi is the new best girl, she's such a mysterious character <3
On the other hand i'm sad Raiko dropped so low.

« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2015, 03:30:09 AM »
Looking at that stat sheet, I can only guess a lot of people never bother to revote if their vote was deleted from the Music votes.

I mean the character vote count increased, but the music vote count decreased by over 10%. I can't imagine people just stop voting for music and only for characters.

Ps

« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2015, 03:33:00 AM »
I'm confused about what the vote totals mean. For example, since I voted for 5 characters, does that mean that 5 of those 32,244 votes are me? Or 6, since the 1st character gets 2 votes? Or does it mean that there were 32,244 voting forms turned in?

Drake

« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2015, 03:46:16 AM »
32244 voters. There were 187182 points in total, which means that many people didn't submit five characters.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2015, 04:14:53 AM »
I'm confused about what the vote totals mean. For example, since I voted for 5 characters, does that mean that 5 of those 32,244 votes are me? Or 6, since the 1st character gets 2 votes? Or does it mean that there were 32,244 voting forms turned in?
I think it's the latter. Just count the total of first votes for all characters. Each of those should count as one for each vote/form.

Also, it's important to note that, it's not just the votes for Music category that was lost, but also the characters and misc votes as well.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/tohomemory/archives/44188530.html
Due to the crash, ALL music votes were reset, AND part of the other two category votes were also lost.

I'm quite positive that it won't change the top 15-20 characters much, but after that I'm quite sure it changes a lot. This should be even worse in the music votes, since the end count (20000~) is actually lower than last year (23000~), when there's more people voting the character section now.
(I'm actually quite confused how there's a 10000~ difference between the Character and Music Votes. Does that mean 10000 people didn't vote for the music section? Why?)

It's understandable that some people may not be satisfied by the current result, but I think we should just let it be. I admit there are some points that disappointed me. However, it's not something that can be settled with just complaining.
I dunno, maybe if they redo the voting? It's not really a nice solution, but perhaps it's worth considering.

By the way, personally, Last Remote > Hartmann Youkai Girl. That's one of the few things I'm not okay about with this pool results.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:46:30 AM by monhan »

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2015, 04:22:44 AM »
Doesn't matter...
All hail new number one!~

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2015, 04:58:42 AM »
Personally even with the loss of votes I don't see a re-vote happening for at least two reasons. First is the fact that the votes loss were likely proportional to the totals, meaning unless your song was super low on the listI highly doubt its placement was affected much. Honestly, if your favorite song had so little votes that the loss potentially affected their placement by several spots, then it was low enough that in the end it doesn't matter. It'd be like me complaining about how Bamboo Forest of the Full Moon fell 30 spots; yes the loss of votes potentially hurt it, but honestly  potentially barely breaking top 50 or 60 is still not impressive. At the top I'd be shocked if one song outside of the top 2 lost so many votes that it affected its spot by more than 1 place, if at all. For instance, do you really think Cosmic Mind or Lost Remote lost hundreds more votes than HYG?

Second is the fact that a re-vote this close to the results being released has limitless potential of being influenced by the results. For instance, if you didn't vote for a top-5 character before but hate Kioshi, then you're more likely to vote for Reimu or Marisa in an effort to dethrone her. The same can be said about Septette and U.N. Owen; people who didn't vote for Septette before may be more tempted to do so now.

I hope at least some of that made sense.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

kevin1127

« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2015, 05:21:49 AM »
If this is referring to the sheet, it has been updated to 32244.

Thanks for correcting.

and I just realize I have not post my thoughts yet.

・Music vote is screwed up. Top 20 might be fine, but everything after 20th jumped or droped 20+ position.
・I have no idea how Hartmann got into 3rd. Looks like people vote for it just because they like Koishi
・Fortune teller in 100th. I wonder he is part of the reason why Reimu dropped, although I was not very surprising or shocking by the event.
・Aki sandwich - strawberry flavor
・I feel sad for some of the low popularity characters, and most of them are from newer games, PC-98 era, and printwork
・Sumireko in 47th, not bad I suppose..
・I don't know why some of the characters got benefit because of ULiL (Miko, Futo) and some of them did not (Byakuren, Nitori)
・The most unexpected jump in this poll - Usami Renko. I know WHAT made her this popular but I don't know WHY.
・Another unexpected jump by Kogasa, which made her the most popular character in newer games (any games after UFO, include UFO itself) (exclude Kokoro)
・It's good to see that Kokoro is a newer character but managed to stay in top 20. oh hey look at that low 1st place vote percent.
・Seija made a big jump, Reisen jumped to top 20, Mokou got into top 10 for obvious reason.
・I get tired of that huge EoSD fanbase. Come on, UFO, TD, and DDC have great characters and musics, too.
・Congratulations, Marisa. You got the highest number of 1st place vote.
・ALL HAIL TO KOISHI KOMEIJI. This is somehow expected. Many people believe it's becuase people were thinking " Reimu is going to be 1st anyway, so I will just vote for other." I hope that Koishi can sill be in top 3 next year.

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2015, 05:45:48 AM »
Mm, I'm glad all my characters are in top 30! Then again, I voted for rather popular ones.
Meanwhile, in music I made unpopular choices. And that hurts me. My favourite song is 131...
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

Komeiji11

• The Gloomy Power of Love
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2015, 06:53:17 AM »
Not only am I super excited Koishi is #1 :D :getdown:
But I also find it completely hilarious and ironic a character that's supposed to be easily forgotten and unlovable has gained this kind of popularity. Looks like she has more hope than previously thought...  :o

« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2015, 07:06:06 AM »
I hope at least some of that made sense.

Don't worry, I got your point. I was just trying to find an explanation to the random changes on lower ranks. Just hoping that at least the people confused by the odd changes can feel a slight relief. I also think that redoing the vote isn't exactly a good idea, I agree with you.

Though I want to comment on this in particular
For instance, do you really think Cosmic Mind or Lost Remote lost hundreds more votes than HYG?
Actually, it's nothing weird that Last Remote didn't get much raise, since people associate Koishi with HYG, and that's where the popularity boost goes.
As for Cosmic Mind, it's not about the relation with Hartmann. I thought it's no wonder that it'll lose to Hartmann and Reach for the Moon, because those two has their respective popularity boost, so losing 2 place is almost guaranteed regardless of the lost votes and all.

However, what you said there piqued my interest. I honestly didn't think of that until you mentioned it, so I went to check. It was quite a shock, really.
Cosmic Mind scores 3213, while previously it got 3827.
Compare Border of Life, which scores 3862, while previously it got 3836.
Either 600 people changes their preference this time, or the lost votes just happen to be a good chunk that picked Cosmic Mind, even if that seems unlikely. Who knows?
I won't be surprised if that get  noticed.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:37:45 AM by monhan »

« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2015, 09:00:05 AM »
I'm quite positive that it won't change the top 15-20 characters much, but after that I'm quite sure it changes a lot. This should be even worse in the music votes, since the end count (20000~) is actually lower than last year (23000~), when there's more people voting the character section now.

For characters, we don't know what was lost, so no data to compare. I would guess there aren't any changes.

For music, the lost votes are too large to not make an impact, even among the top ranks.
If we are to use pattern guessing, the music vote count should have been increased between last year and this year. however, between last year and this year, we lost about 2,500 music votes.
Conversely speaking, we gained about 1400 character votes between last year and this year.
So, going by pattern, we lost 3000+ votes in the music category. 3000 votes is a major change to all ranks, including the top ones. We are talking about approximately 15% deviation here.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2015, 02:16:35 PM »
However, what you said there piqued my interest. I honestly didn't think of that until you mentioned it, so I went to check. It was quite a shock, really.
Cosmic Mind scores 3213, while previously it got 3827.
Compare Border of Life, which scores 3862, while previously it got 3836.
Either 600 people changes their preference this time, or the lost votes just happen to be a good chunk that picked Cosmic Mind, even if that seems unlikely. Who knows?
I won't be surprised if that get  noticed.

Ok, that is a good find I admit. But then again just looking at the results (not total vote count) I notice 2 songs jump out at me: Hartmann Youkai Girl and Reach For the Moon, Immortal Smoke. Both finished higher than Cosmic Mind this year and both have seen huge jumps within the last couple of year (especially Immortal Smoke, which jumped 5 places this year). Hartmann I can speculate that its popularity is in part related to Koishi's sudden, surprising rise. Immortal Smoke? My only guess is that Mokou's reappearance in ULIL boosted that song. Yes I know Cosmic Mind is also in that game (and HM as well) but if you look it's been dropping steadily since finishing 3rd two polls ago. Chances are that voters just are not as into the song as when it first came out. While I'd admit it's a better song than, at least, HYG, being better has nothing to do with being popular.
Spoiler:
Just look at what won this whole thing [/salt].

For music, the lost votes are too large to not make an impact, even among the top ranks.
If we are to use pattern guessing, the music vote count should have been increased between last year and this year. however, between last year and this year, we lost about 2,500 music votes.
Conversely speaking, we gained about 1400 character votes between last year and this year.
So, going by pattern, we lost 3000+ votes in the music category. 3000 votes is a major change to all ranks, including the top ones. We are talking about approximately 15% deviation here.

Again, that's only true if those 3000+ votes were all towards the same small sample of songs at the top of the list. As far as I'm aware, all of the music votes were lost and the poll was extended as a result. Keep in mind I had to re-vote for music as well, and my choices didn't change at all. That would mean that either a) a lot of people changed their votes this year compared to last or b) a lot of people who like Cosmic Mind (continuing using that as an example) voted at the same time at the very beginning and then didn't bother to vote again when their votes got deleted.

Honestly given those two options I'd say (a) is more likely. I mean the idea of hundreds, if not thousands, of votes in the first 24 hours going to the same couple of songs, then getting lost and screwing up the top of the bracket that badly is...I'm sorry it's crazy to me. No offense but I just don't see it. Maybe, maybe a top-10 song dropped a spot or two lower than it should've, but that's it. I still think it's more likely that the lower parts of the music poll, where there were massive gains/drops as kevin1127 pointed out, were affected more than the top because the lost votes were spread out.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I just have a hard time seeing otherwise though.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2015, 02:56:01 PM »
Hmmm I wonder though if it would've been wiser for thwiki to nuke the entire poll when the data loss happened and simply restart both the character and music poll? Of course way too late now.

kevin1127

« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2015, 06:54:33 PM »
Here is the result for questionnaire
http://thwiki.info/th/vote11/result_questionnaire.php

Ps

« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30:55 PM »
Things I noticed while reading the survey results:
1. The survey had even less responses than the music poll.
2. The majority of the fans who answered the survey were young men.
3. For many of the games, the top two answers were "cleared normal" and "haven't played."
4. 2008 was a big year for being a new fan.
5. Almost half of the responders found Touhou through YouTube or Nico Nico.
6. Everyone loves the music, characters, and setting.
7. Google translates "amanojaku" as "perverse"

« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2015, 09:51:40 PM »
・I get tired of that huge EoSD fanbase. Come on, UFO, TD, and DDC have great characters and musics, too.
So this ^. Though IMO the huge fanbase also supports PCB and IN in addition to EoSD
Meanwhile, in music I made unpopular choices. And that hurts me. My favourite song is 131...
I feel your pain man :( That song is literally one of my absolute favorites too. Last year I thought it'd become a classic in the polls so I gagged when it was 3digit rank

(Meanwhile Sky Ruin is #228 ... and I voted for it)

Edit: Magical Storm is #223 and I voted for that too, lol
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:18:36 PM by Electric Tengu »

Drake

« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2015, 11:17:17 PM »
Get a few more posts up in here so I can nab the next page with questionnaire results lol

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2015, 11:50:19 PM »
Huh. I don't like Koishi that much. Oh well. Could be worse I guess. Congratulations to her (apparently legion) fans.

Keine went up four places, that's cool. Wonder what caused that.

To be honest, it's always kind of bugged me that Reimu was in 1st place, because I always assumed it had more to do with her being more recognizable, rather than people actually liking her. Which, in retrospect, is really rude to Reimu, but I still think it's probably true. I certainly can't think of anyone who would vote Reimu as their favorite character. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that people are jumping on the Koishi bandwagon because of recent knife-phone memes. Or maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard who has no place talking about character polls.

If I had to guess, the number of people who rank Reimu first is relatively few, but a ton of people voted her in their top five. I did.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Ps

« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2015, 03:23:52 AM »
If I had to guess, the number of people who rank Reimu first is relatively few, but a ton of people voted her in their top five. I did.

Actually, Reimu had a few more 1st place votes than Koishi (1648 vs 1603), and Marisa got more than either (1719); but Koishi had more than enough not-first votes to make up for it and surpass them.

« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2015, 05:46:19 AM »
Again, that's only true if those 3000+ votes were all towards the same small sample of songs at the top of the list. As far as I'm aware, all of the music votes were lost and the poll was extended as a result. Keep in mind I had to re-vote for music as well, and my choices didn't change at all. That would mean that either a) a lot of people changed their votes this year compared to last or b) a lot of people who like Cosmic Mind (continuing using that as an example) voted at the same time at the very beginning and then didn't bother to vote again when their votes got deleted.

I am not talking about all 3000 votes. I am talking about a difference of 400 between 1st and 2nd place. It won't change the outcome of 2nd and 3rd (difference is like 1000 votes), since the numbers are too far off. 3rd and 4th, is possible, but not likely. 4th and 5th (difference is like 200), so that outcome can change. Pretty much outside of 2nd and 3rd, the outcome of the top ten songs can change.

The main issue here is the lost votes are theoretically fairly large here. And while you did revote, if we were to follow the pattern and make some estimates, about 3000 people did not revote. So, those votes do not count.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2015, 08:28:41 AM »
It is quite clear majority voted for Koishi, even though Marisa has lots of #1 votes. It doesn't really matter any more.

I think I've seen a graph on Twitter showing sudden rise of Koishi compared to the last 11 years.