Author Topic: 11th Touhou Series Popularity Contest: Results are here!  (Read 77201 times)

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
Re: 11th Touhou Series Popularity Contest: Results are here!
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2015, 10:09:06 PM »
161   159   -   Kutsutsura   7   0

Whoa, whoa, whoa, that's seven times its points from last time.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
That's the best I can do for the character poll at the moment. For some reason all the result names are coming up as nonsense symbols for me, so I can't search them to fill in the gaps. I've been using the previous results as a guide, but I'm still missing:

If anyone can fill these in then I'll vote for them in the next poll.

#100, - Most likely the fortune teller from the Forbidden Scrollery manga
#128 - Kasen's seal
#132(1) - Any generic kappa
, #132(2) - Ichirin's occult, Hasshaku-sama
#136(1) - Futo's occult, Okuki-san
#138(1) -
#140 - The fox child in, I believe, Forbidden Scrollery
#146 -
#147(2) - Any generic Eientei rabbit
#150(1) -
#150(3) - Nitori's Occult, Loch Ness
#154 -
#155 - Human-faced dog from Wild and Horned Hermit
#157 -
#158 - Kosuzu's parents
#164(4) -
#170 - Shinmyoumaru's occult, the little green inchlings

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »
Aw none of my favorite characters even broke top 30. At least Little Princess was top 5. I was shocked to hear that Reimu and Septette were dethroned. I wonder who won...

1   3   14   Koishi Komeiji   7859   1603

Huh, that's interesting.

Quote from:  Music
1   2   2   U.N. Owen was her?

ಠ_ಠ

Spoiler:
Y'all officially have no taste in music.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Ps

• Hiding from LoLK spoilers
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2015, 10:34:38 PM »
#138 (1) is Unshou, the doctor in WaHH 11
#154 is Sendai Shirou
#157 is Enenra, the smoke worm in FS
#164(4) might be a reference to Kasen's ULiL spellcard that was only in the C87 demo version? Tohou Wiki being down is kind of inconvenient

#146 is "Tokage," and #150(1) is "Uwabami." I'm not sure who either are -- the only Uwabami I know is Uwabami Breakers, and that's a game, not a character.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:19:52 PM by Ps »

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2015, 11:39:22 PM »
#100, - Most likely the fortune teller from the Forbidden Scrollery manga
#128 - Kasen's seal
#132(1) - Any generic kappa
, #132(2) - Ichirin's occult, Hasshaku-sama
#136(1) - Futo's occult, Okuki-san
#138(1) -
#140 - The fox child in, I believe, Forbidden Scrollery
#146 -
#147(2) - Any generic Eientei rabbit
#150(1) -
#150(3) - Nitori's Occult, Loch Ness
#154 -
#155 - Human-faced dog from Wild and Horned Hermit
#157 -
#158 - Kosuzu's parents
#164(4) -
#170 - Shinmyoumaru's occult, the little green inchlings
#138 (1) is Unshou, the doctor in WaHH 11
#154 is Sendai Shirou
#157 is Enenra, the smoke worm in FS
#164(4) might be a reference to Kasen's ULiL spellcard that was only in the C87 demo version? Tohou Wiki being down is kind of inconvenient

#146 is "Tokage," and #150(1) is "Uwabami." I'm not sure who either are -- the only Uwabami I know is Uwabami Breakers, and that's a game, not a character.

You're both good people. I'm assuming #164(4) is Kasen's tiger from ULiL (Houso) and #150(1) is the unnamed snake youkai from Forbidden Scrollery. #146 Tokage = lizard so not sure what that's referencing. 

Anyway, I've put them all in and someone'll doubtlessly speak up if they're wrong.

OtakuGray

• It's time to D-D-D-DANMAKU!
  • When you lose your way, you can blame the fairies
    • BecauselmGray - AMVs, Replays, Etc...
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2015, 11:41:24 PM »
For some reason I can't seem to remember who was in #1...I guess it was Reimu...  :P

(Then again Koishi's got that mask now, right?)

kevin1127

• 古明地こいし is cute and beautiful!!
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2015, 11:46:16 PM »
Look at what Tasofro had done:
Kororo is the highest character after UFO and managed to stay in top 20 this time
Koishi jumped from 14 to 3 because of HM, and now is in 1st place because of ULiL

Koishi's popularity trend: 35→ 22→ 15→ 14→ 3→ 1
Hartman's popularity trend: 17→ 14→ 11→ 10→ 5→ 3

Anyone's interesting in doing an analysis for Koishi's popularity?

« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2015, 12:48:51 AM »
#146 Tokage = lizard so not sure what that's referencing.
I think that's Kasen's lizard from Wild and Horned Hermit chapter 24. It doesn't appear to be on the wiki right now.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2015, 02:24:24 AM »
Not really getting the Koishi appeal but I admit her theme is pretty solid and her gimmick in ULiL was amusing.

Doesn't seem like Kasen was helped nearly as much (by ULiL) though.

UTW

« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2015, 02:26:53 AM »
You're both good people. I'm assuming #164(4) is Kasen's tiger from ULiL (Houso) and #150(1) is the unnamed snake youkai from Forbidden Scrollery. #146 Tokage = lizard so not sure what that's referencing. 

Anyway, I've put them all in and someone'll doubtlessly speak up if they're wrong.

Uwabami is the snake disguised as a human in FS 22-23. Or perhaps the multiple snakes disguised as humans..

I think that's Kasen's lizard from Wild and Horned Hermit chapter 24. It doesn't appear to be on the wiki right now.

It isn't. I'd recommend adding it to the Dragon wiki, too, since they're said to grow into dragons. The wiki is kind of behind on manga stuff so if no one else does it I'll fill it out soon. Nessie, Okiku, and Hasshaku should be added somewhere, as well.

EDIT: Actually some of it is there under Minor Characters, though it could still be added to.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:33:00 AM by UTW »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2015, 03:13:35 AM »
I can't express how overjoyed I am to see that stubborn, boring miko getting dethroned. :D

and by Koishi? Even better! Only reason I didn't vote for her is because she is not on my top 5. But she is certainly on my top 10.

Also really happy to see Kokoro, Udonge and Patchy on the top 20. ♥ ♥ ♥

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2015, 07:15:21 AM »
I too am out of words and quite surprised. I don't quite understand the Koishi appeal either, guessing HM and ULiL might have influence in this but...!

As a gentlemen, I have to accept defeat to the fact both Hakurei Reimu and Septette being dethroned.

* Helepolis takes of his hat.

Congratulations.

ps. Curious about artwork now from artists.

Edit
By the way, curious about the voting structure. I noticed that Marisa has received most #1 votes (favour vote?) among all, but ended up 3rd. Reimu has more #1 votes than Koishi but ended up 2nd. It almost feels like people tried throned Kirisame Marisa as #1 and Reimu as 2nd place but the list turned out different because of the points? Or am I reading this all wrong.

Marisa #1 would've been quite amusing too in terms of artwork.

Edit 2
Studying bit more the list compared to 9th and 10th. Koishi rose from out of Top 10 into Rank 1 this year. Though we'll have to see whether she holds that spot next year. For the Koishi fans I hope she does, but looking at Marisa's wrath, she might be taking it next year.

Septette being dethroned was matter of time. UN Owen was #2 for last two years and thus competing with her elder sister.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:35:49 AM by Helepolis »

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2015, 08:34:16 AM »
Top 25 Results and Change

1. Koishi Komeiji (+3)
2. Reimu Hakurei (-1)
3. Marisa Kirisame (-1)
4. Sakuya Izayoi (NC)
5. Flandre Scarlet (NC)
6. Youmu Konpaku (+2)
7. Remilia Scarlet (NC)
8. Fujiwara no Mokou (+4)
9. Satori Komeiji (NC)
10. Alice Margatroid (-4)
11. Aya Shameimaru (-1)
12. Sanae Kochiya (-1)
13. Tenshi Hinanawi (+4)
14. Hata no Kokoro (+1)
15. Yuyuko Saigyouji (-1)
16. Reisen Udongein Inaba (+7)
17. Yukari Yakumo (-1)
18. Yuuka Kazami (-5)
19. Patchouli Knowledge (-1)
20. Kogasa Tatara (+8)
21. Momiji Inubashiri (NC)
22. Renko Usami (+15)
23. Hong Meiling (-1)
24. Utsuho Reiuji (-5)
25. Mononobe no Futo (+10)

Wonder if Reisen will rise any higher when TH15 comes out.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:11:12 AM by Aya Reiko »

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2015, 09:28:43 AM »
Think that's all the typos sorted now.

- Seija's leap from 56th to 27th and becoming the most popular DDC character is a terrible [glorious] result and the worst [best] change in this poll. Let's aim for the bottom [top] next time.
- Koishi, please stop mindscrewing the voters, thanks. She's not even the best satori, let alone the best character.
- There're a bunch of other things I could complain about, but out of everything, Kanako being the least popular Windows final boss probably stings the most.
- Two of my votes (Seija, Nue) actually ended up causing/resolving ties, so that's pretty neat.
- Mai is more than 15 points better than Yuki.

I looked at the music poll, but 450 results is lol nope.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2015, 10:08:25 AM »
The Scarlet Sister's themes are still top two, even if Septette for the Dead Princess isn't first anymore, so it's no big change.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
- Mai is more than 15 points better than Yuki.

If you ask Mai, she's even more than that.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Plastic Vortex

• Girl is ranking up
  • Please wait warmly
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2015, 11:40:37 AM »
......First....place...huh...... *rubs eyes*

WAIT REALLY?!

YESSSSSSSSS  :getdown:

The fact that she is getting more spotlight in HM and ULiL definitely raises people's interpretation of her. She's gotten more of a personality(?), and more interesting interactions with the other characters that give her some charm. Also, her Moe Harukawa artwork is just too cute. so no mask of hope shenanigans here :V

EDIT: I guess her relationship with is now okay, as Kokoro has probably mellowed out. Maybe she and her ship is increasing in popularity because it isn't a love(?) hate relationship. I'm just putting some ideas out there.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:47:57 AM by Flaw of the DNA »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2015, 01:14:51 PM »
Ah, Japan is finally responding with their artwork to the recent poll results.

https://twitter.com/OS_X_Lanius/status/605353344647839745
Reimu died.

Of course there is more around and some on Pixiv. But these are always amusing.

Edit:
Also there is another sandwich which we didn't notice. Reisen being Hag-sandwiched by Yuyuko and Yukari.  One artist noticed it and responded like this:  http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=50674989
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 01:20:24 PM by Helepolis »

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »
I don't know how interested the fandom is with stats, but I'd like to share this spreadsheet. (Warning: Google Drive link, so open Incognito or log out of your Google account if you want to stay an Anonymous Animal.)

I calculated some values such as # of 2nd-5th Place Votes, # of Votes Total, % of Votes Overall, % of 1st Place Votes Overall, Change in Rank, etc. You can sort columns, of course, and see how a particular character fares (I calculate the after-sort rank lazily by looking at the row number and subtracting by 1 :t). You can see some curious stuff such as characters who got points mostly from a sheer number of votes, and those who got fewer but were voted 1st by a larger percentage.

I did this somewhat in a rush, so my thinking can be wrong in some areas.

Edit: To sort, click anywhere on a column, then Data > Sort sheet by column [A-Z], A -> Z | Z -> A.

Edit2:
- Moved the total votes cell to Sheet2; used the vote count given on the wiki.
- Found that sorting by column causes reference errors, because the whole sheet gets sorted, including the total votes cell and not just the table. Fixed by the above.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:15:54 PM by Kaizaki »

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »
Reimu's streak finally ends. :v

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!? REIMU HAS FALLEN?!?!?

HELL YEAHHH!!!! :toot:

It was a LONG time overdue...... Wait, what? Septette too? Noooooo.... oh, she just switched place with U.N. Owen.... nevermind, those 2 themes went hand to hand for years  :V
Congrats to Koishi! Didn't think she would go even higher that her previous placement. Someone please keep an eye on Gpop before he does something rash due to delirious joy  :D

As for the rest:

- Alice after her exploit 2 years ago is steadily losing ground
- Damn, Yuuka too! >.<
- Kogasa, good for you! Seija was expected  ::)
- Renko 22?, seriously? I honestly don't see the appeal....
- Yumemi..... you have no idea how much i envy you right now  :smokedcheese: Youmu and Reisen too, but Yumemi more....

Regarding that fanart about the Hag-sandwich..... i didn't know Yuyuko obtained the Rinnegan  :V

« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »

By the way, curious about the voting structure. I noticed that Marisa has received most #1 votes (favour vote?) among all, but ended up 3rd. Reimu has more #1 votes than Koishi but ended up 2nd. It almost feels like people tried throned Kirisame Marisa as #1 and Reimu as 2nd place but the list turned out different because of the points? Or am I reading this all wrong.

When you vote, your first place gets 2 points and 2-5th places get 1 point.

P.S. Mamizou so low((( But she is so awesome!

« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2015, 08:05:49 PM »
To be honest, it's always kind of bugged me that Reimu was in 1st place, because I always assumed it had more to do with her being more recognizable, rather than people actually liking her. Which, in retrospect, is really rude to Reimu, but I still think it's probably true. I certainly can't think of anyone who would vote Reimu as their favorite character. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that people are jumping on the Koishi bandwagon because of recent knife-phone memes. Or maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard who has no place talking about character polls.

...I've also wondered why people like Septette so much. It's not bad, but it seems like an odd choice to me. There, I'm confident that the list is mostly due to the songs being older and therefore getting more remixes (obviously, the PC-98 stuff is even older, but gets less exposure than EoSD).

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2015, 08:22:15 PM »
There, I'm confident that the list is mostly due to the songs being older and therefore getting more remixes (obviously, the PC-98 stuff is even older, but gets less exposure than EoSD).
One thing that's interesting in this poll is how nearly all the EoSD, PCB and IN songs gained more votes. Seems like nostalgia is kicking in or something.

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
To be honest, it's always kind of bugged me that Reimu was in 1st place, because I always assumed it had more to do with her being more recognizable, rather than people actually liking her. Which, in retrospect, is really rude to Reimu, but I still think it's probably true. I certainly can't think of anyone who would vote Reimu as their favorite character. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that people are jumping on the Koishi bandwagon because of recent knife-phone memes. Or maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard who has no place talking about character polls.

...I've also wondered why people like Septette so much. It's not bad, but it seems like an odd choice to me. There, I'm confident that the list is mostly due to the songs being older and therefore getting more remixes (obviously, the PC-98 stuff is even older, but gets less exposure than EoSD).

On the Reimu part i agree, although Koishi was already very popular.

About Septette, i can only speak for myself: i love it because it's extremely fitting with its related boss, and is a great piece of music even by itself

« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2015, 08:33:31 PM »
On the Reimu part i agree, although Koishi was already very popular.

Well, it made sense to me that she'd get bumped to third place after HM, because she got an interesting storyline and a funny moveset. I don't think ULiL introduced enough new to add to that bump though, other than the memes. Especially since we're talking about displacing the reigning champion.

About Septette, i can only speak for myself: i love it because it's extremely fitting with its related boss, and is a great piece of music even by itself

Again, there's nothing wrong with the song and I can understand people having it as their own personal #1, but the margin between 2nd and 3rd place is pretty huge. Septette has 50% more votes than 3rd place. It's not even close.

Ps

• Hiding from LoLK spoilers
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2015, 08:52:36 PM »
I certainly can't think of anyone who would vote Reimu as their favorite character.

Hi

« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2015, 08:57:06 PM »
At least speaking from my circle of friends, I can say that it's because EoSD is one of the most well known touhou games, so I feel that people don't take much interest in many of the newer works.

Said friends of mine don't really feel like knowing the newer cast and end up sticking to the characters up to IaMP.  A few like MoF/SA too but that's it really.

Bonus point: An otaku mutual once came to chat, telling me he discovered "This new character from one of the newer touhou games, a white haired nurse with a bow called Medicine."

Yep....

« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2015, 09:55:57 PM »
Can you enlighten me about knife phone memes? Did they become known outside touhou community?

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
...part of me thinks that the folks out there confused Renko and Sumireko for one another. I mean, they're both with the surname Usami, so I think that that's what happened...

Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Also, I think that the fact that U.N. Owen and Hartmann's Youkai Girl are separated by Septette for The Dead Princess is telling me that Remilia doesn't want Koishi near her little sister in the music department...
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...