Author Topic: RPGs you don't get a game over when you die  (Read 3456 times)

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
RPGs you don't get a game over when you die
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:56:27 PM »
Well I have been wondering about RPGs... and it seems that most like the scheme that when your party/guy is dead... it's game over.

However I know a few that actually do not punish you for that... And I have been wondering is there any more that you know?

Also.. it must be a turn based RPG.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
Re: RPGs you don't get a game over when you die
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
umm... Elona? It's roguelike, except death isn't permanent, but optional in a sense.(when you actually die, you're given a choice to crawl out of your grave before you're buried, or just stay and be deleted)

And if you do continue, money is lost.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:39:28 PM by スカーレットの兄弟-XephyrEnigma »
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »
Hyperdimension Neptunia lets you retry a battle when you die.

SMRPG sends you back to the last save point you touched (with all the experience/loot you had before you died)

Pokemon is Ash Drank A Coke.

Several Wild ARMs games let you retry as long as you have gimel coins.

That's just off the top of my head.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
Borderlands has Fight For Your Life - if you can kill someone withing a few seconds of "dying" (you can't move and your vision darkens) you get a Second Wind.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »
Borderlands has Fight For Your Life - if you can kill someone withing a few seconds of "dying" (you can't move and your vision darkens) you get a Second Wind.

It's not turned based...

XephyrEnigma

• XephyrEnigma
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »
FF13. but that's atb. (so it's sort of turn based.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »
It's not turned based...
Missed that, sorry.  Borderlands is a weird case anyway.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »
Fable 2 (Not Turn-Based) has an interesting mechanic where when you die you press a button and instantly pop back to life. Sorry, I don't know any turn-based games that do the same.

I really don't get the problem of getting a game over after dying. A game has to have some set-back when you die.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 08:35:07 PM »
I really don't get the problem of getting a game over after dying. A game has to have some set-back when you die.
Problem? No... I am suggesting this is a trend... and searching for games that do not follow it, try something else for a change...

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:37:37 PM »
The earliest incidence may be FF6.  When you die in that, you're reverted to your previous save, and still have to do things over, but you keep all the XP you got from before you died.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 09:16:09 PM »
Golden Sun simply dumps you back to the nearest Sanctuary, I think. Then again, that series is so easy--with the exception of a few bosses--that dying isn't likely anyways. :V

FF1 Dawn of Souls has something kind of like this, if you die in one of the bonus dungeons you get kicked back to the entrance with like 1 HP, I think. I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I played it.

XephyrEnigma

• XephyrEnigma
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22:26 PM »
Golden Sun simply dumps you back to the nearest Sanctuary, I think. Then again, that series is so easy--with the exception of a few bosses--that dying isn't likely anyways. :V

FF1 Down of Souls has something kind of like this, if you die in one of the bonus dungeons you get kicked back to the entrance with like 1 HP, I think. I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I played it.

Dawn, and no, I'm pretty sure its GO for you, even in bonus dungeons.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 11:42:11 PM »
Radiant Historia?  (although I guess in a roundabout way)

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 11:53:04 PM »
You did get taken out of the bonus dungeons upon death in the GBA version of the first FF because the only way to get out of them otherwise was to take out a boss.

FF VI took you back to your last save point, but you kept your experience, though I think you lost Esper bonuses.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 01:21:39 AM »
All of the Dragon Quest games I've played throw you back to the last priest you saved at. It might be a series-wide thing.

Both Chaos Rings games throw you back to the merchant with half of your money if you wipe out to a non-boss battle.

Tsuteto

• Ou! A custom title! ... Well, this isn't very ingenious, is it....
  • Wheeeee....
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »
Breath of Fire does.  I know 1 and 2 at least does.  Can't recall on three (been ages since I've played it, though if the first two do, I don't see why they'd change it).

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 08:55:45 AM »
While Golden sun 1 and 2 weren't especially difficult. They weren't particularly easy either *IF* you weren't totally anal about collection all the djinns..
3 on the other hand can probably be done blindfolded without going out of your way to collect ANY.