Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5  (Read 98783 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5
« Reply #930 on: September 01, 2017, 04:27:55 AM »
>"I'm certainly open to picking up where we left off."

>"Wonderful."
>"Alone, again?" White Rose asks.

« Reply #931 on: September 01, 2017, 07:08:49 AM »
>"Well, I do think there are several people interested in seeing how it would have ended if we hadn't gotten sidetracked."
>To Rin: Though I admit I'm not certain which of us is likely to win. It depends on whether he really was pulling his punches the first time around - he's certainly stronger than I anticipated he was.

« Reply #932 on: September 01, 2017, 08:08:12 PM »
>"Well, I do think there are several people interested in seeing how it would have ended if we hadn't gotten sidetracked."
>To Rin: Though I admit I'm not certain which of us is likely to win. It depends on whether he really was pulling his punches the first time around - he's certainly stronger than I anticipated he was.

>"You're right there." Miyo confirms.
>That's why I asked. I mean, I know we're not in any danger here or anything, it's just, well, I would hate to see you lose.

« Reply #933 on: September 01, 2017, 08:14:24 PM »
>I appreciate the sentiment and I'll certainly try my best, but this isn't supposed to be a competition so much as a learning experience. If the goal was just to win, I know you have my back.

« Reply #934 on: September 01, 2017, 08:27:11 PM »
>I appreciate the sentiment and I'll certainly try my best, but this isn't supposed to be a competition so much as a learning experience. If the goal was just to win, I know you have my back.

>All the way, all the time.
>"And, while I am one of those," Miyo continues, just a bit hesitantly, "There is something I would like to ask, if I may. A favor, actually."

« Reply #935 on: September 01, 2017, 08:29:07 PM »
>"Oh? What is it?"

« Reply #936 on: September 01, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »
>"Oh? What is it?"

>The purple winged youkai, who has a very light, sweet perfume clinging to her, seems a little uncomfortable about whatever she's going to ask. "I understand that, you plan on confronting the Champion of Fire soon, yes?"

« Reply #937 on: September 01, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »
>"We had planned that, yes. Matters have changed somewhat since then, and I'm less certain that this is still the most prudent immediate course of action, but it may end up being unavoidable nevertheless."

« Reply #938 on: September 01, 2017, 08:51:28 PM »
>"We had planned that, yes. Matters have changed somewhat since then, and I'm less certain that this is still the most prudent immediate course of action, but it may end up being unavoidable nevertheless."

>Miyo's relief is plain. "Then, you're also not as certain that Onee-sama would be there to confront it with you? I understand that was the plan."

« Reply #939 on: September 01, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
>Smile gently
>"Are you worried about her?"

« Reply #940 on: September 01, 2017, 09:25:49 PM »
>Smile gently
>"Are you worried about her?"

>Miyo nods. "I've had the opportunity to see her in action more than once. Not here, I mean real action, dealing with supernatural events. She has great power and great skill, maybe more than anyone in this city. But I've seen how she acts in battle. It's not easy to notice, but she has a habit of ignoring her own well-being, of taking risks that are unnecessary to achieve her goals." The youkai's wings droop. "I won't say that she has no regard for her own life, but what regard she has for her own safety is slim at best. Every time she goes out to deal with a new threat, I worry for her. And these Champions are among the most dangerous I know of; they have to be, if they live on Makai."

« Reply #941 on: September 01, 2017, 09:36:53 PM »
>"I understand, and you're not wrong about these Champions. But Hakura is also a veteran who has survived fighting supernatural threats for a very, very long time."

« Reply #942 on: September 01, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »
>"I understand, and you're not wrong about these Champions. But Hakura is also a veteran who has survived fighting supernatural threats for a very, very long time."

>"I understand that. Better than most of my sisters, actually. Not only have I fought alongside Onee-sama, I've researched some of the conflicts she was involved in before I was born. That she survived is nothing less than a miracle. But, despite my vocation, I do not rely on miracles, nor do I believe they last forever. It's not easy to shake the thought that each time she faces one of these demons or devils or Champions or formless horrors, it might be the last time. A risk that all of us face, true, but losing her would be far, far worse than losing any other shrine maiden."

« Reply #943 on: September 01, 2017, 10:02:30 PM »
>"Well, if circumstances have us fight alongside each other, I promise we'll do all that's in our power to make sure she comes back home again. That's what we're fighting for, after all."

« Reply #944 on: September 01, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »
>"Well, if circumstances have us fight alongside each other, I promise we'll do all that's in our power to make sure she comes back home again. That's what we're fighting for, after all."

>Miyo smiles, albeit a little sadly. "I guess I was sort of hoping that you could talk to her. Maybe try to convince her she doesn't need to fight this one. I realize how selfish that sounds." she says, looking you in the eye. "Believe me, I don't want to see you get hurt either. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think you possess the same kind of... I hesitate to use the word 'recklessness', but the same lack of self preservation that Onee-sama does."

« Reply #945 on: September 01, 2017, 11:00:19 PM »
>"I admit that I'm surprised to hear her described in those terms. From our few interactions, she's always seemed very calm and composed."

« Reply #946 on: September 01, 2017, 11:47:26 PM »
>"I admit that I'm surprised to hear her described in those terms. From our few interactions, she's always seemed very calm and composed."

>"She hides it well." Miyo concedes. "It's not easy for people to see it. It's become second nature to her, I think. And I admit, it must be hard to hear someone like me say they saw it."
>"What makes you say that?" White Rose asks her.
>"Because when people see me, they see a nerd." she says with a casual smile. "Someone who's really good with books but isn't so good with people. Maybe it's just a talent I have, but I can see things in ways other people can't as easily. For example, I could tell the two of you were together during the battle, before I saw you sitting here."

« Reply #947 on: September 01, 2017, 11:51:14 PM »
>"Well, I wasn't exactly trying to make a secret of it, just... well, when we're here on 'business', as it were...."
>"But you're truly worried about Haruka more than just the ordinary amount one would expect when it came to confronting so strong a power as the Champions, aren't you?"

« Reply #948 on: September 02, 2017, 12:13:57 AM »
>"Well, I wasn't exactly trying to make a secret of it, just... well, when we're here on 'business', as it were...."
>"But you're truly worried about Haruka more than just the ordinary amount one would expect when it came to confronting so strong a power as the Champions, aren't you?"

>"It wasn't obvious." Miyo says with a smile. "Little things, really, like the way you ran to White Rose first and kept trying to draw the two Blood's attention to yourself, away from her. Or the way White Rose's first look was to you after dealing with Tomari-san's attack."
>She smiles again, chuckling quietly. "'Do I love her?' in other words?"

« Reply #949 on: September 02, 2017, 12:16:22 AM »
>"That's not exactly what I meant, but...."

« Reply #950 on: September 02, 2017, 12:29:59 AM »
>"That's not exactly what I meant, but...."

>"I don't mind answering that, but I would like to hear exactly what you meant, if you don't mind."

« Reply #951 on: September 02, 2017, 12:54:14 AM »
>"I was asking if it was that you're less concerned about the raw danger of what she'd face but that she might needlessly ignore her own well-being when doing so?"

« Reply #952 on: September 02, 2017, 01:04:52 AM »
>"I was asking if it was that you're less concerned about the raw danger of what she'd face but that she might needlessly ignore her own well-being when doing so?"

>Miyo blinks, then laughs. "Actions, I'm good with. Words, there I still need some work." she musts wryly. "Forgive me, I jumped past so simple a thought."

« Reply #953 on: September 02, 2017, 01:28:17 AM »
>"It happens to all of us sometimes."

« Reply #954 on: September 02, 2017, 02:01:32 AM »
>"It happens to all of us sometimes."

>"To answer the second point first, I would say I am concerned in equal measures. I know more about Makai than most who serve at the shrines. I have an idea how powerful, resourceful and dangerous the beings that live there have to be in order to survive. If these particular demons are Champions of their race, it stands to reason that they are the most powerful and resourceful of their race, and are therefore the most dangerous. This in turn leads me to believe that Onee-sama will want all the more to be among those that confront them. Knowing her as I do, I fear this may be the time she makes the mistake that will prove to be fatal. Either through a desire to save someone else or through some circumstance I cannot forsee, I can't dispel the image of her being among the first to die against them. My sisters know how powerful she is, but I know how reckless she can be. She's done things in the past that would have killed others in her position. She can't keep doing this, but I know she will. And she will do so until it kills her. And I can't stop her." she admits, lowering her head. "I have tried. I am not convincing enough to change her, nor powerful enough to support her as I fear she will need."

« Reply #955 on: September 02, 2017, 02:07:35 AM »
>"But perhaps we are; I'm not about to let anyone die on my watch."

« Reply #956 on: September 02, 2017, 02:18:10 AM »
>"But perhaps we are; I'm not about to let anyone die on my watch."

>"That's not really fair for you, though." Miyo protests. "You have enough to worry about in combat without worrying about those outside your group putting themselves at risk."

« Reply #957 on: September 03, 2017, 11:44:17 PM »
>"We're all in this together, whether you're one of our group or a miko or even an innocent bystander; the very reason we fight is to keep everyone safe. I know I can't promise that everything will always work out, but I can promise that I won't let any risk someone takes on our behalf be in vain."

« Reply #958 on: September 03, 2017, 11:59:34 PM »
>"We're all in this together, whether you're one of our group or a miko or even an innocent bystander; the very reason we fight is to keep everyone safe. I know I can't promise that everything will always work out, but I can promise that I won't let any risk someone takes on our behalf be in vain."

>Miyo nods. "I just hope I haven't given you something else to worry about." she says a bit wistfully. "That was NOT my intention."

« Reply #959 on: September 04, 2017, 12:14:37 AM »
>"Don't worry about it. I'm glad that you felt comfortable enough to share it with me, and I promise I'll keep it in mind."