Author Topic: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!  (Read 128491 times)

Re: Periodic Touhou Tournament!
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2011, 12:53:25 PM »
I thought Yukari was the most powerful one. And really, what that shot has in potential - the Reimu shots got trifold at least. I have watched japanese replays of her and i'm really impressed by how well they are capable of using her but i must keep things realistic. I cannot control her movement speed and i'm not accurate enough to move her through the tiny gaps that are required to play SA Lunatic. Only Reimu offers the precision i need.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2011, 02:55:17 PM »
I'd label Marisa's hitbox as "borderline terrible" in SA. The size difference feels much more pronounced than it appears to be in other games, especially when the danmaku offers some of the most consistently "tight" dodging in the series. I wanted to give MarisaA, hell any of her shots a chance, but unfortunately they're all falling on the bad side of that border for me. As interesting as MarisaA's shot spread is by itself (no, really), her hitbox single-handedly saps away what fun I do have.

Even at far range, the unfocus shot is very powerful. I admit it's not the easiest shot type to use, but that'd be boring, right? It has tons of potential. Keep at it!
Scoring with ReimuA ain't no easy feat either. Then again, there can't be that many people here who have taken the time to learn her scoring paths on the higher difficulties, so maybe it's for the best a different shottype was selected. I may not be able to will myself to play any of Marisa's shottypes, but it'll be interesting to see how high others can push their scores.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »
And here I thought that hitbox thing was all inside my head.  That explains why I failed Yuugi's last card for the first time and died on all sorts of easy Orin cards then.

« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2011, 04:48:32 PM »
And that power system with her.

Might not have as much time to play this week though as I thought.

« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2011, 05:35:53 PM »
What he said

Agreed. Things like Satori's non-spells come to mind and what about Ghost Wheels? Sounds like fun!  :V Even Parsee gave me trouble. The sentiment of easily being able to spot the path through the bullets but still it being impossible to get though those gaps because of that huge hitbox is very irritating. Not to forget my dodging style when playing these games incorporate a hell of a lot of unfocused dodges whenever things aren't too dense. But because Marisa is too fast i end up running into a wall because she would move further than i'd expect her to.

Heartbeam

« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2011, 01:24:11 AM »
No SA attempts planned for today, but I wanted to post some target scores.

Easy:  600,000,000
Normal:  800,000,000
Hard: 1,000,000,000
Lunatic:  2,000,000,000 - 2,500,000,000?
Extra:  1,040,000,000

Easy may only pull off 580M with what I'm willing to attempt...haven't run through this difficulty in a while so I don't know what to expect.  Normal may only sit in the 700M range.  1B for Hard is underachieving and the target should be reached even if there's a late miss and the base item value is lost.  Never attempted Lunatic with this shot type according to the score table so I'll have to see what happens.  Maybe I'll be too busy fearing for my life because I don't practice stages three and four.  I'm not going to care if I miss Extra by a few million, but I expect at least 1.033B.

It'll come down to patience, obviously.  None of these are out of reach.

« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2011, 02:35:37 AM »
Wow, I'm getting hammered on the rankings this week...  Maybe I can get something decent for SA Easy.  With ReimuA and a bit of luck, I can manage to no-death up to Orin on Normal.  Marisa should at least be able to match that on Easy right?

EDIT: Yeah, easy was a joke.  1 death on Orin because one of her spirits blew up in my face on her second nonspell.  Spread shot is too wide, it's probably easier to pacifist that phase.  Almost had a perfect Okuu, but I bombed once on her second card.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:07:52 AM by chirpy13 »

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2011, 03:42:54 AM »
Im playing easy and everything goes fine until stage 5 =/

1st death:slam a bullet i didn't notice in front of me
2nd death: slam a pellet trying to autocollect
3rd death: orin kicks me in the face right before spleen eater ends
Uggh i gotta break 400 mil at least. 

2lazy2createbettersig

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2011, 04:15:05 AM »
Yeeeaaah, no.
I can't participate this week. (I'm sure no one would miss me though :P)

I wish I could, given MarisA is my best shot in SA (Really, I've come to love all of the shots 'cept ReimuC).
I project my scores to be something like this, though:
Easy 220, Normal 180, Hard 40, Lunatic 5,000,000

Good luck, everyone!

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2011, 07:10:30 AM »
Tried the IN challenge and got to Mokou's fourth nonspell and died there. I really thought I was going to cap her first spell card too since I was doing exceptionally well. Though Youmu's ghost shots thing is really annoying to aim when you're not at the bottom of the screen.
All in all, it sucked.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2011, 05:38:18 PM »
SA is driving me nuts

Because somehow I keep making it farther on Hard than I do Normal.  I cannot even begin to fathom how or why this is.

Drake

« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »
If I actually managed to clear, I could get a nice 600mil probably. Early stage screwups come back to haunt me bigtime on the legitimately hard things though.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2011, 09:11:54 PM »
>.< I feel really bad sitting on top both Normal and Hard (Scoring) with such measly scores. Somebody go beat me so I get motivated to do better!

Drake

« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2011, 09:17:41 PM »
ok

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2011, 08:00:43 AM »
Tried the IN challenge and got to Mokou's fourth nonspell and died there. I really thought I was going to cap her first spell card too since I was doing exceptionally well. Though Youmu's ghost shots thing is really annoying to aim when you're not at the bottom of the screen.
All in all, it sucked.
Still sucks! :ohdear:

Upon watching your replays, I have no idea how you can do something as awesome as that. The furthest I've ever gotten is Honest Man's Death. Guess that makes me a dying, honest man, huh.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #255 on: February 18, 2011, 01:19:59 PM »
Speaking of IN Extra, I never managed to pass Possessed by Phoenix, despite the dozens of times I've played it.
I have capped all of her other cards preceding it, however.

Any ideas?

Drake

« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2011, 05:52:18 AM »
spots of interest after going through stages 5 and 6:

stop screwing up midboss orin
get up in orin's face on her opener
kill more familiars on orin's second non
ghost wheels graze+++++++++++
actually get faith on last two stages i.e. stop dying
actually kill all the crows
bomb the poop out of blaze wheel for holyshitpoints
actually kill all the crows again
stop dying until at least after the last crow wave

this would probably guarantee another 100mil
scratch that considering how many points i got on stage 6 alone my score would shoot through the roof tbh

wow i just realized how many points ending with full lives gets me
going to have to rethink this now ughhhhhhhh
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:13:08 AM by Drake »

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »
And now that I get a decent score, Okuu kicks up my slowdown to 7.

« Reply #258 on: February 20, 2011, 06:34:25 AM »
Might try to up my IN Normal score tomorrow.  Not interested in no focus extra/lunatic or any more SA for this week, but I'm not exactly happy with my IN placement.  Also, I figure if I can (almost) make a 1LC normally, there should be no reason I can't die less times with OMFGHAXSPEEDYOUMU and no focus.  I might try to improve my easy... Scratch that, I already 1 life cleared that so I am happy there.

Well, we'll see how I do.  If there's no new scores, you know what happened =p.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #259 on: February 20, 2011, 08:04:25 AM »
I was about to not enter any scores for this tournament

Then I realised how few HAVE been submitted and decided to do something about it.

...Then I realised that after several repeated attempts I can't even make it to stage 4 on Normal somehow DESPITE DOING IT ON HARD so... godidon'tevenknow
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:22:58 AM by Garlyle »

ark

• みょん
« Reply #260 on: February 20, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
Probably a bit late this time, but you (Sapz) should post the submission deadline in each thread. :V

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #261 on: February 20, 2011, 10:29:13 PM »
Well, it's still 1PM GMT on Monday, but that's probably a good idea. :V Will do.
Let's fight.

Drake

« Reply #262 on: February 20, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »
stop dying jesus christ

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #263 on: February 21, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »
Sorry for being stupid, but how do I upload Replays?
Signature

Drake

« Reply #264 on: February 21, 2011, 05:23:24 AM »

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #265 on: February 21, 2011, 05:31:05 AM »
So I don't have to specify difficulty?
Signature

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #266 on: February 21, 2011, 05:39:49 AM »
Gensokyo.org does it for you after you upload a replay.

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

« Reply #267 on: February 21, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »
Done for this week. I really should have devoted more time for these challenges. Too much GTA 4 lately.

I suppose I'll train on Lunatic for a while. I'd really like to submit some decent scores on Hard/Lunatic/Extra.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #268 on: February 21, 2011, 04:56:23 PM »
Pressed alt instead of X to bomb.
Twice in a row.
:< :< :<

« Reply #269 on: February 22, 2011, 04:45:16 AM »
- so far, in order of personal preference:
IN Special Challenge (solo Youmu no-focus) > PCB Special Challenge (MarisaA no miss no bomb survival) > MoF score > SA score (I'd like to hear what's interesting about the latter two, I may change my mind)
- funniest parts of IN Special was shooting a lot and maneuvering Myon and CANCELLAN bullets :D, shooting familiars and trying to milk bosses and take them down when there were familiars on the screen. Though, the bullet hitboxes, how do they work? Overestimate them, you fail to capture spellcards, underestimate them, you make wtf faces due to the screen getting red and then having to deathbomb, if you haven't already. Getting through gaps is doable if you only focus on going through the gap rather than mentalizing the bullet hitboxes (example: the small stars on Marisa's fight), but when larger bullets or masses of small bullets get near.. knowing the hitboxes more exactly would help
- PCB Special: CORNER'd on stage 4 :(
- MoF: unexpected death on stage 4 (or was it 5?) = huge blow to faith = demotivation
- SA: hugging the large fairies at stage 1 and then trying to do well through the rest of the game :(

suggestion (not that these are the best ones, just the ones that I thought of :p):
- scoar: GFW
- special: EoSD no bomb survival?
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.