Author Topic: Thief (the 2014 / reboot version), let us steal things?  (Read 1277 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Thief (the 2014 / reboot version), let us steal things?
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »
Disclaimer, I am not a Thief hardcore fan though I supreme enjoyed Thievery mod for UT. I am probably in people's eyes clueless for not playing Thief 1 and 2, but the game was 10 Euro compared to the ridiculous steam price of 30.

This is actually my first purchase on Steam in my entire life. Either way, a friend of mine has the game as well and he is in fact a major fan, so he talks me through the earlier games and storywise. I also don't intend on writing reviews or essays here since the reviews from critics are pretty obvious: Thief 2014 failed hard. And even I can notice this if I treat the game as-is instead of comparing.

Pretty tired of constantly squeezing myself through "narrow" places then pushing this beam aside by mashing the E button. The same goes for cranking up windows, mash E but nope, first we have to show the tedious and tiresome animation of Garret inspecting the window.

If you insist on buying this game, buy it from g2play.

Now I also understand why there is no multiplayer mode for Thief 2014 (which I think it would be a major win). A rushed and heavily linear-forced pre-scripted game has no room for multiplayer enjoyment. Fuck. Back to Thievery UT I guess.

What do ya think?

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
Re: Thief (the 2014 / reboot version), let us steal things?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »
Well, it is quite repetitive with you breaking into every house the same way through the window (which afterwards gets magically glued back together iirc)
The removal of the faction system from the earlier game took out quite some variety (something factions usually offer, if done well) and as such replayability.
If viewed as a a game of the Thief series it is subpar but as a standalone it could be okay. It just is not what people who expected a thief sequel really wanted I imagine.

But I like that Garret now seems to have learned something from Edward Elric with him instantly transforming everything he finds into gold. :V
And I would have liked if the ending (dont worry, no spoilers)      was that Garret put the entire city into his tower. Seemed likely since you took everything that wasn't nailed to a wall. in sight.

Edit: Forgot something really important! They took out the garcantdrop sound (when he can't drop something in the older games he says nuh-uh and it is great) and that is unforgivable.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:14:13 PM by Yookie »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Thief (the 2014 / reboot version), let us steal things?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:21:01 PM »
I am reading some nasty reviews about Thief as I dive into the negative ones (the constructive criticism ones). People seem to complain a lot about the sounds and stealth and the tedious linear game play.

Also read an article that Eidos Montereal sent home more than 20 workers after Thief was released. Quite ironic to fire people when you failed a game release. I hope the lead designer and producer were among them. Names weren't mentioned.