Author Topic: Saints' Row IV - GTA clones are out, Crackdown clones are in  (Read 1719 times)

Saints' Row IV - GTA clones are out, Crackdown clones are in
« on: September 04, 2013, 02:33:02 PM »
So the fourth and possibly final installment of the Saints' Row series is out. What started out as an urban-sandbox game with a heavy focus on player customization that kept pushing the bounds of sanity has just decided "yeah, let's not bother with that whole realism thing" and throws you in dystopia with superpowers, aliens, and dubstep.

The game still has most of the same core elements and world as SR3, but fixes a lot of that game's problems (the big ones being the inability to replay missions and general lack of things to do compared to its predecessors). In addition, the ability to run and jump like a madman lets you get to all sorts of places, making the world feel bigger even if it's the same size as previously. I'm not sure if it's as utterly massive as SR2 was, but the two games are so different that I'm not sure it's fair to compare the two. Overall, I love this game.

Re: Saints' Row IV - GTA clones are out, Crackdown clones are in
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
the mass effect thing they had going really killed me :V

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »
I got it but I still haven't started my file yet. My bro did and played a bit, and it looks really cool. I'll use this to get used to play these games on 360 controller, since I played GTA/SR on mouse the whole time and have to get used to the controller for GTA V. :V

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:12 PM »
Yep. Saints Row 4 is the most fun I've had with the franchise since the second one. In my book SR2 still wins in terms of storytelling and characters, but SR4 has so much mindless fun with its core gameplay. Sure, I have my gripes, but I really liked how they wrapped up the series and brought back many memories from the previous games.

All in all, after playing Saints Row 4, I finally forgive Volition for Saints Row 3.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 12:03:11 AM »
I never tried saints row, almost tries 3 but decided against it. Maybe ill try 4.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 02:46:30 AM »
One kind of weird thing is how ... basically, the city is full of little Bits Of Gameplay which incrementally give you control of the city. You can complete them at any time you want unless you're in a major mission. However ... every single one of them is also given to you as part of optional sidequests from your homies. I actually had one situation where I started the sidequest, and it was immediately marked as completed because I'd already done everything they wanted on my own time.

Also ... the
Spoiler:
"romance" option. Just ... the "romance" option. XD

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 04:26:38 AM »
Pffffft.

Spoiler:
That guy AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET