Author Topic: Touhou 13: 東方 神霊廟 ~ Ten Desires. Full desired article. [spoiler warning]  (Read 146615 times)

Earthsiege

• Rational Anarchist
  • The balance of power MUST be preserved.
I'm in love with Miko's battle, it's awesome music, fun spellcards and a awesome character make it the best battle in Touhou for me.

By the way that holy war thing is certainly become the third story of my fic :3

And those things in Miko's head are really Headphones or just something else? I just can't picture a legend like her using Headphones =P

I like thinking of them as headphones - it's so blatantly anachronistic I can't help it.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more music-player/contemporary Miko, now I think about that.  :3
http://pastebin.com/DzbzqF0k - LoT2 reference list. If anyone catches anything, drop me a line.

Spoiler:
Of course, Miko was not an ant.
Miko and the rest were opposed to staying under a temple that was a den of youkai,
and so decided they would build a dojo somewhere new and move there.
This was done in a world called Senkai, where in any crack,
there contained limitless amounts of space.
Endings are translated on the site

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
I'm surprised we haven't seen more music-player/contemporary Miko, now I think about that.  :3

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target

Lovely.  :3

Miko's lolwut hair reminds me a lot of Kokonoe's cat ear pigtails.  :derp:
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

TMiles

• Let's party!
Spoiler:
So Miko created a Dojo that can be acessed from any crack in the world and isn't planning to do anything about Byakuren and the rest? So much for the Holy War.

Derpface

• Don't worry universe, I will (ahn~♥) protect you...
  • Ke-he-he-he-he!
Endings are translated on the site

:getdown: :* Oh yes. Vgperson, always so fast! Now I can play enthusiastically without havbing to wait for English patch <33

Metaflare

• Happening Cat of the Middle of Nowhere
  • Welp is not a good nickname
Why is it that I find Seiga harder than Miko?

Oh yeah. HOMING BULLETS AND CURVY LASERS. asdfgh

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
Why is it that I find Seiga harder than Miko?

Oh yeah. HOMING BULLETS AND CURVY LASERS. AT THE SAME TIME. asdfgh
fixed that for you

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
Hmm... I'm really starting to think ZUN's a freaking genius
Whether or not he planned the Fujiwara/Soga/Mononobe clan connections
He probably did.  Seriously, go spend some time trolling the Touhou wiki and read through all the trivia.  Character and spellcard names, backstory, the items they may carry and even their freaking clothing (especially in Yukari's case) has more to it than meets the eye.

For example:

All of the Yakumo family are named after colors. The light frequencies (energies) of the colors are proportional to their powers: Chen (orange) << Ran (indigo) < Yukari (violet). The energy of violet light is the highest in the visible spectrum, and violet light is the boundary between visible and invisible light. Red light (the symbolic color of Remilia Scarlet or Reimu Hakurei) is another boundary, but they are stronger than Chen. Fittingly, when Reimu and Yukari team up in Imperishable Night, they are called the "Boundary Team". In addition to maintaining the Hakurei Barrier, their colors form the two boundaries between visible and invisible light. In addition, the word "yukari" is uncommonly used to mean "border" or "edge", albeit with a different character.

Occasionally, double rainbows form after rainfall?there's the rainbow one usually sees (red on the top, and violet at the bottom), and another, larger, fainter one above it. The colors on the second rainbow are reversed?red on the bottom, and violet at the top. In other words, the outside edges of the rainbow are violet?or, put another way, violet forms the boundary between the sky and the rainbow. Thus, Yukari's given name strongly signifies the idea of boundaries.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Anyone notice that the girls related to Miko use
Spoiler:
some sort of sharp weapon in their danmaku
? Even Miko herself?

Not sure if Mami follows this rule too.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
I'm in love with Miko's battle, it's awesome music, fun spellcards and a awesome character make it the best battle in Touhou for me.
Yeah, if the battle were a song, it would definitely be stuck in my head. The danmaku isn't the best, and the nonspells aren't all too impressive, yet somehow the danmaku, visuals, and song turn the fight into something really magnificent.

Is it ZUN's new thing to make the credits song a remix?
Slightly disappointing.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
Slightly disappointing.
If I recall, it's not entirely a "new thing".  Thinking off the top of my head, I know that the credits songs for UFO and MoF were remixes of the final boss's themes. (Well MoF, it's not entirely a remix, but it uses that same motif from Suwa Foughten Field that's been used for the Game Over screens for the past several games)

EDIT: And now for something completely different.  An idea occurred to me after some inspiration from someone, so I made this.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:53:23 AM by AJS »

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
About that crash...it only applies to stage replays. My full run replay didn't crash the game at all

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Miko's non-cards reminded me again how shitty those little blue spinning dot bullets are against a dark background. It felt uninspired and reminded me of horrible SA patterns. I mean, if you use them once fine. But don't repeat the same pattern with just increased difficulty. If we look at Byakuren for example, we can clearly see each of her non-cards were different. Then again, same thing goes for Futo as well. Non-cards is repeat of previous. Same for Yoshika. I think only Kyoko and Seiga had different "style"

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Miko's non-cards reminded me again how shitty those little blue spinning dot bullets are against a dark background. It felt uninspired and reminded me of horrible SA patterns. I mean, if you use them once fine. But don't repeat the same pattern with just increased difficulty. If we look at Byakuren for example, we can clearly see each of her non-cards were different. Then again, same thing goes for Futo as well. Non-cards is repeat of previous. Same for Yoshika. I think only Kyoko and Seiga had different "style"

I admit the non-spells in the game felt rather lazy, but in ZUN's defense, though the attacks look similar, all of them require different strategies to dodge effectively. Even the really lazy ones like Futo's are more different than they appear at first glance.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
I don't know Donut. The first two noncards are exactly similar, just more on your screen. And all the bullets move in random directions. Unless you call micro-dodging a strategy, it is not considered a strategy. I know that Lunatic has those ring-formed shapes, which is probably why you mentioned strategy.

For Futo's non-cards, you could indeed perform a strategy, because they don't move random.

Miko as a boss was so disappointing. Shame too cause she has a awesome design and music. The boss fight just sucked and I think the only card that was cool was her Eternal Meek ripoff and her 2nd to last spell card. Rest was just unispired bullshit. At least the extra boss made up for the underwhelming final boss.

oh and fuck her first spell card my god Zun are you trying to blind me your bright as fuck colors.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
I don't know Donut. The first two noncards are exactly similar, just more on your screen. And all the bullets move in random directions. Unless you call micro-dodging a strategy, it is not considered a strategy. I know that Lunatic has those ring-formed shapes, which is probably why you mentioned strategy.

I don't know, if you look at the Ultra versions you can definitely see that there are some patterns going on in them.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Seems like a huge difference between Lunaric and Normal then.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
The arrows in the nonspells always splits in parallel directions, even in Easy.
It only looks random because there aren't many bullets.
Signature

Formless God

Miko's first two non-spells are indeed pretty dumb, just bullets exploding to rings. Symmetric rings. Third one is not bad, you need to move around the solid rings, and the fourth one is fun.
This is the first time he shoved this into a S6 boss, but haven't most non-spells been this way since forever (especially in Extras) ? Modifying a 'base' pattern to make different attacks.

As for her spell cards (and most of the game's), I think they're very fun (although less pretty, but both at the same time is overkill). I like how there's a lot of moving around and you don't have to constantly plant yourself at the bottom anymore. The ... pacing is also wonderfully done. Miko's fight in particular, it starts off with relatively slow attacks, then comes along the faster knives, which is a warm-up for DISCO; DISCO forces you to move quickly around the screen, readying your body for Guse Kannon; after that the speed drops in 17 Articles, but thanks to the previous attack, your reflexes should be sharp enough to deal with the density. This sucker has a staggering amount of health, you feel tired, and so is the boss. She cheats her way out of the seventh spell card, but unable to even spread her wings probably just some bug, resulting in a weak last resort that has almost zero speed.
Spoiler:
Byakuren's fight also goes something like this

... Nah, I'm just overthinking things.

Slightly disappointing.
this is what ZUN said about the Staff Roll theme
The staff roll theme.

This is a different version of Desire Drive.
The sense of speed has mostly been lost, but maybe it has a floating feeling now instead.

Lately I've been wondering if there's a real point to the staff roll.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
I love how people only notice this now. As far back as Eastern Dream the credits song could be an arrangement of another theme. Here's a fun exercise. Listen to the first 20 seconds of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFYORrFp8U

Then listen to the intro to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk_24Aav1Fk

Bonus points if by now you have made a connection between this and the game over theme.

Ha ha, I always love thinking up stuff like this. My theory for why Utsuho's fight takes a dip in difficulty halfway through is that Utsuho just wasn't creative enough and started getting really sloppy (hence the safespot in her third spell card).
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Jana

• mrgrgr
He probably did.  Seriously, go spend some time trolling the Touhou wiki and read through all the trivia.  Character and spellcard names, backstory, the items they may carry and even their freaking clothing (especially in Yukari's case) has more to it than meets the eye.

Take a look at this too. I think ZUN plans these things way in advance.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
Just 1cc'd normal with youmu :3 that's all characters 1cc'd, now on to hard!
Kinda of a shame I had 2 deaths, 1 very silly one on the 5th boss I am willing to accept. But I blatantly failed on miko's last spellcard :(
And yay for 3 succesful deathbombs

Khaotic Ace

• 8l I forgot about a lot of sites thanks to tumblr.
FFFF WHAT HOW? I just listened to that and I can't hear it. And then I went to listen to the Stage 4 boss theme alone and I still don't hear it.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
I can't hear it either.

(but the Stage 4 theme DOES seem to be a nice background to this if slowed down.)

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~