Author Topic: Possibly-crazy stuff you didn't notice for ages: thread 3  (Read 58496 times)

Drake

Re: Possibly-crazy stuff you didn't notice for ages: thread 3
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »
Or, it's a person's head, with a large bang in the front and two little ponytail-like sprigs of hair in the back.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2012, 11:05:10 PM »
The theme of stage 5 in IN, Cinderella Cage ~ Kagome, Kagome ~ actually has the tune for the Kagome, Kagome song incorporated into it.

Only realised this after finding out what Kagome, Kagome sounds like through playing Remember11

Pulling this post out again to say I've just been playing Corpse Party (50% off on PSN until Nov 2), and I kept going "Man, this song really sounds like it belongs in Touhou..." Realized it was actually kids singing Kagome, Kagome, remembered this post, and felt dumb.

Drake

« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2012, 11:59:40 PM »
hey guys did u knew sakura sakura ~ japanize dream is based off of the folk song "sakura sakura"

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2012, 12:07:28 AM »
hey guys did u knew sakura sakura ~ japanize dream is based off of the folk song "sakura sakura"
Bah, next you'll be sayin' that Septette isn't actually a septette at all!

In MS, I just noticed that Luize doesn't seem to be wearing any shoes during her battle. (I better check the other bosses as well.)

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
The 'shirasawa' in Kamishirasawa Keine uses the same Kanji for Hakutaku.
'Yamato Torus' actually isn't a torus. I'm glad it isn't. (Actually I don't care, since I bomb it.)
The word used for 'mysterious' in 'Mysterious Snake Show' is 鵺的(Nue-like). So it becomes something like 'Nue-like Snake Show'.
Signature

Drake

« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »
'Yamato Torus' actually isn't a torus. I'm glad it isn't.
The reference in danmaku to a torus is that the bullets wrap around the screen. I haven't measured, but there's a short period where the bullets disappear, that is possibly the time it would take for the bullets to actually circle as if it were moving on a torus.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2012, 06:51:44 AM »
What I actually meant was that the bullets don't wrap from top to bottom or vice versa.
Reimu and Satori has spellcards that lets them wrap around the whole screen, though.
Signature

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2012, 01:24:35 AM »
I don't know how many people remember or have noticed this, but I was pretty disturbed when I learned that Mystia has green claws for hands (PoFV).

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2012, 01:23:02 AM »
In EoSD and PCB, holding all the arrows will send you up-right. In all later games, you'll go down-left.

This discovery brought to you by "I bought a mechanical keyboard and can't remember how my hands work."

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »
I just figured out why Rumia is a bit of a dummy.

It's because since she's a darkness youkai...

...She's not very bright. BV

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »
I just figured out why Rumia is a bit of a dummy.

It's because since she's a darkness youkai...

...She's not very bright. BV
oh u
I just realised that Kourin is half-human, half-youkai.

« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »
I never realized that in IN, Yukari shoots out Ran along with her concentrated attack. I guess i always figured that it was a different shikigami or something that Yukari controlled lol.

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2012, 01:47:35 AM »
There's no such thing as Lily Black. In PoFV, It's just Lily White wearing black outfit.

ZUN said this in a livestream. :(
I finally got ahead!

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2012, 02:17:54 AM »
There's no such thing as Lily Black. In PoFV, It's just Lily White wearing black outfit.

ZUN said this in a livestream. :(
That would explain why she isn't there in the Extra stage of GFW. Cause you can't fight two Lilies at once.  :derp:

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2012, 11:19:19 PM »
I recently just noticed that in MS Stage 3, right before/during the midboss fight, there's a sign to the right that says "Children!"

Zil

« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »
I recently just noticed that in MS Stage 3, right before/during the midboss fight, there's a sign to the right that says "Children!"
And before that, there's one that says "Romantic"

I've just noticed that bomb animations in PoDD get reversed when they're used by the player on the right. This leads to the numerals on Yumemi and Chiyuri's clocks making no sense. Of course, I'd noticed this a long time ago with Kotohime's bomb, but it somehow never occurred to me that it was true for everyone else.

Another thing, for certain enemy waves, some of enemies are often missing if the wave is the first one to appear in the match. And there's about fifty other glitches I think I'm starting to figure out. I'm pretty sure I cancelled out my own boss attack by using a spell at the same time.

This game, man. I just don't know. :V

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »
Learned today: you can move diagonally with the 1/3/7/9 on the numpad. If you're crazy and want to do that for some reason.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »
Learned today: you can move diagonally with the 1/3/7/9 on the numpad. If you're crazy and want to do that for some reason.

Wait a second... you can do that?! Which games?

Oh yeah, and Replay mode in TD: Hold down Z (I think it's Z) and everything will speed up similar to Boss Mode in PCB and IN, but it speeds up EVERYTHING!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2012, 11:29:44 PM »
I just figured out why Youmu is so rabidly attached to Yuyuko and it's not because she's a samurai.

It's because since she's a half-ghost her loyalty is literally undying. BV

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2012, 04:02:09 AM »
Wait a second... you can do that?! Which games?
All games, including SoEW.
Oh yeah, and Replay mode in TD: Hold down Z (I think it's Z) and everything will speed up similar to Boss Mode in PCB and IN, but it speeds up EVERYTHING!
Available since ESOD. The hotkey has always been CTRL. The only thing TD changed is now both CTRL and Z can be used to speed up replays.

Trivia 1: StB is the only game where you cannot speed up replay. ZUN must have thought it's unnecessary. He fixed that in DS.

Trivia 2: Starting with MoF, you can even speed up the demo replays with Ctrl (but not Z)!
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2012, 06:36:55 AM »
Why would you even....-goes to try it-
Well I'll be damned.

I guess, just in cased you don't want to bomb or focus?

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »
Available since ESOD. The hotkey has always been CTRL. The only thing TD changed is now both CTRL and Z can be used to speed up replays.

Trivia 1: StB is the only game where you cannot speed up replay. ZUN must have thought it's unnecessary. He fixed that in DS.

Trivia 2: Starting with MoF, you can even speed up the demo replays with Ctrl (but not Z)!

Actually, the feature to speed up replays at any time was only introduced in MoF. In previous games, this feature was only available as an add-on by the vsync patch. This also means that your next piece of trivia is wrong: there is no in-built feature to change the playback speed of a replay in EoSD.

cuc

« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2012, 08:03:02 AM »
And that's what happens when you rely on VPatch for too long: you forgot many conveniences are only there because of VPatch. I can remember being frustrated over ESoD and PoFV's lack of replay skipping, but only barely.

It's still unfortunate VPatch never implemented replay skipping for StB.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:05:35 AM by cuc »

Ghostly

• Wish I would get a dual swords.
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2012, 11:04:22 PM »
I didn't realize that Sakuya A can quickly decrease the boss's health on PCB.  ???

Vael

• Weaver of Illusions, Shaman of Dreams
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2012, 11:36:44 PM »
Just realized this, blew my mind, needed to share right the heck now.

So in the Touhou PV of Kachou Fuugetsu, when the chorus starts we see Lady Yukari, Lady Yuyuko, the goddess Kanako, and Lady Eirin. Now at first I didn't think much of it right? Until sometime after I did a little research.

Kachou Fuugetsu is a Japanese Idiom that means "Experience the beauties of nature, and in doing so learn about yourself" ...more or less, and is made of the Kanji that mean Flowers (Ka), Birds (Chou), Wind (Fuu), Moon (Getsu).

You can see where I'm heading with this right? Well, lemme finish off then.

It turns out that each of those four Elder Residents of Gensokyo are related to the idiom, and plus, their appearance is timed to each kanji.

Ka: Lady Yukari -> One way to read "Yukari" is "Violet", there happens to be a species of flower called Violets, plus she is also close friends with Lady Yuyuko...see below.
Chou: Lady Yuyuko -> Now, this one is a bit of a stretch, but it's the only explanation that makes sense here. The kanji happens to be a homonym for "Butterfly", and not only does she have a HEAVY amount of butterfly motifs related with her, but the insects are traditionally related to death itself, plus her close relationship with Lady Yukari brings to mind the close relationship between flowers and butterflies.
Fuu: Goddess Kanako -> The Wind Goddess.
Getsu: Lady Eirin -> Descended from the Moon.

That's not all though, towards the end of the PV, the idiom is sung once more, this time to the images of Marisa, Reimu, Sanae, and Sakuya in that order, with the same pacing. Other than Sanae and Sakuya, whose associations are clear, even if Sakuya's was implied rather than stated outright, I'm not sure about Reimu or Marisa. Still trying to do research on that, but nothing's turning up.

blase6

« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2012, 06:30:36 AM »
Seriously. I wish I had a t-shirt that said 'Mima's Coffee' or something similar.

<Tengukami>1. Don't hotlink, least of all to the wrong Touhou wiki.
2. Moving this to the proper thread.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:39:55 AM by Tengukami »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »
The best part of waking uuuuuup

is Twilight Spark in your cup~!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
In MS, I just noticed that Luize doesn't seem to be wearing any shoes during her battle. (I better check the other bosses as well.)

Shoes were scarce in Gensokyo back in those days - most of the girls were forced to wear slippers.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »
The profile for Toyosatomimi no Miko in th13 and the SoPM article for Miko blatantly contradicts each other.
One says that she was born in a stable, while the other quotes Miko saying that there's no way she was born in such a place.

Suika's th075 conversation BGM 'Broken Moon' is referenced in BAiJP article for Suika.
The Kanji used for broken(砕) is the same. Although it sounds like Suika put the moon in the blender or something.

Reimu's final spellcard in Suika's story 空を飛ぶ不思議な巫女(Flying Mysterious Shrine Maiden) is very likely a reference to
Dolls in Pseudo Paradise's last track 空飛ぶ巫女の不思議な毎日(The Strange Everyday Life of the Flying Shrine Maiden)

Keine's Last Word in th08 日出ずる国の天子(Tenshi Emperor of the Land of the Rising Sun) and
Miko's Second Spellcard in th13 日出ずる処の道士(Taoist of the Land of the Rising Sun)
both likely reference the letter that Prince Shotoku sent to China back then.
Signature

cuc

« Reply #179 on: December 26, 2012, 09:07:30 AM »
The final chapter of OSP is also called 空を飛ぶ不思議な巫女.

In this chapter, Reimu also called herself "Shrine Maiden of Paradise". It's rare for any character titles to be spoken of in actual dialogue.