Author Topic: Doujin Round Table Interview from Shooting Gameside Vol.1 (from 2010)  (Read 2265 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
I searched and didn't see any post mentioning it here. It's posted in the Shmups.system11 forum, so someone here probably have seen it.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41475

Shooting Gameside is a series of Japanese publications that focus on the past and future of shmup games. In their inaugural issue, they did a round table interview with 5 doujin developers. It's an interesting interview, well worth reading.

EDIT:
For me, the weirdest part about that interview is ZUN denying Cave's influence on him, in a way that sounds to me like saying "I don't like Cave games at all".

Consider the following:
Touhou games contain many danmaku patterns that are inspired by or homage to Cave;
He is reported to be able to enter the 2nd loop of DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou (White Label);
In the BAIJR interview 5 years prior to the roundtable, he cited Cave games as examples in his discussion of game design philosophy.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:23:28 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Zil

Re: Doujin Round Table Interview from Shooting Gameside Vol.1 (from 2010)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. I have an account there but I certainly never noticed it. It was pretty interesting, though I wonder if TARC is the best subforum.

I also found that one statement of ZUN's surprising, yes. He did indeed seem to be denying Cave's influence on him. He didn't mention Cave when talking about his favorite shooting games either. I wonder what the reason could be for that.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:21:45 AM »
I disagree that was what was being said. I did not read it like that. From the way it sounds, it sounded like the danmaku patterns are originally designed. But there was no denial that Cave had no influence on him or that he did not like them.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »
Thanks for the link @cuc, cool reading, now I want to play other non-Touhou shooting games and create one too :P

I disagree that was what was being said. I did not read it like that. From the way it sounds, it sounded like the danmaku patterns are originally designed. But there was no denial that Cave had no influence on him or that he did not like them.

I agree with what @Starxsword said

ZUN:  There's too many skilled players now. (laughs) It could be called a negative aspect of shooting games. There's definitely a part of it that's not good.
You that like to play Touhou with 666fps and play pacifist-ultra mode without vertical and focus, ZUN does not love you :V
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>