Author Topic: Touhou classic fighter fangame  (Read 4122 times)

Touhou classic fighter fangame
« on: January 08, 2014, 06:53:59 AM »
i've been working on a touhou fighter for the past couple months, this is my progress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-q2gvMf_Lo, I took most of the graphics from touhou hisoutensoku

YES, I know it's bad, but i'm a self taught programmer and I made the engine from nothing by myself, that, plus the game is still super incomplete.

just wanted to know your opinions, should I keep working on this or should I trash it?

here's more footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzEpUDBSQ24

thanks

EDIT: test it here - http://www.mediafire.com/download/jbfe81nqqa1u0b0/v0.9.zip

controls:

Z - light attack
X - heavy attack
C - special attack

down -> right -> Z+X = hyper 1 level 1
down -> left-> Z+X = hyper 2 level 1
left-> down -> Z+X = hyper 3 level 1
right-> down-> Z+X = hyper level 3
Z+X+C -> x factor (umvc3)

move with arrow keys, jump with up arrow key, if you tap up arrow really fast you'll do a short hop, then after doing a short hop you can do a light down attack to continue a combo if your enemy falls.
tap a direction twice to dash.

also i wanted to ask you guys about the ai, is it good enough?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:00:52 AM by zilven »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Re: Touhou classic fighter fangame
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:53:37 AM »
This doesn't look bad at all for something that's still very incomplete. I'd say keep working at it, but can't really say much else unless if I see more progress. The engine has potential, tho.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »
yeah i've been working on it, finished all the stages and now i'm working on youmu

also if you've played the alpha you'll notice ichigo there, that's because when i was first programming the engine i used ichigo as a test character (i wasn't planning on making a touhou game)

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:02:03 AM »
I like that zoom-in and background change on special moves. Are you going to add some spellcards as a special special move or maybe they'll be finishers?

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:21:38 AM »
i'm not sure how i'll implement the spellcards, i could make them lvl 3 hypers

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »
I'm not sure how good you are, but I'll throw here some of my sugestions:
1. Fatality-style spellcards: After declaring a spellcard you must input a line of button presses correctly to spellcard work/deal more damage (just type Conami code for Marisa's Master/Final Spark, since she steals everything)
2. Bomb-style spellcards: After getting hit enough times you can bomb your enemy, stopping his combo and dealing small damage. Some characters could even change place after bombing.
3. ZUN-style spellcards: I'm out of good ideas (lol) here so you might even copy spellcard system from Hisoutesoku.

Lunarethic

• Local Trashy Edgelord
  • I can cut people with all this edge
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »
OK three things

1. really good engine for a fighting game
2. LOVING the motion blur,screen shake and background change,makes everything more epic 8)
3. hell yeah 23 hit combo for reimu  :D

Keep working on it , this one has potential
But few problems

1. Everything happens so goddamn fast make it slowdown  :o
2. AI wise I suggest make them do more stuff like wait and move back a little rather than spam the living shit out of you using special moves
3. When the announcer says knock out, the one knocked out doesn't stand up 2 second later XD

Some suggestions
1. Make the HUD much more visible make it stretch to the sides
2. Battle in and out has to be bigger like at least make it a wee bit bigger
3. Make the sprites move slower I'm looking at the idle animation and they look like a bunch of cars ready to get a move on

But other than that good job  :D I'm gonna look forward to this as I do love me some 2D fighting games ;)
いつもニコニコあなたの隣に這いよる!生放送!は好き。月です~す。略してニコニャル
Learned how to use a custom shotsheet : 12/28/13 *clapclapclap*
東方謎佚光 ~ Dimensional Light Abscence Work In Progress Touhou Fangame

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:15:26 PM »
My impressions:

- The camera is aligned to the vertical center of the characters, which shows a lot of the floor and I suppose that's not what you exactly want to see in a fighting game. Take this as an example, see how the ground level is way lower, thus, allowing the player to see the action better;
 - Every move seems to connect with everything (even with itself, multiple times), and that's not how a fighting game works;
 - I don't think you being able to spam specials like that is a good thing;
 - Some moves makes the character go below the ground;

There isn't much to say aside of what I've mentioned since everything else is a placeholder, I suppose? The engine seems to be ready to go, but the game needs to be polished in every other aspect. It has potential!

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:14:27 AM »
Alice is broken, enough said

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 01:42:58 AM »
Holy shit you gave them x-factor rofl.

If this is supposed to be a fast-paced fighter I'm 100% interested in this. Whens Toho rofl

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »
My impressions:

- The camera is aligned to the vertical center of the characters, which shows a lot of the floor and I suppose that's not what you exactly want to see in a fighting game. Take this as an example, see how the ground level is way lower, thus, allowing the player to see the action better;
 - Every move seems to connect with everything (even with itself, multiple times), and that's not how a fighting game works;
 - I don't think you being able to spam specials like that is a good thing;
 - Some moves makes the character go below the ground;

There isn't much to say aside of what I've mentioned since everything else is a placeholder, I suppose? The engine seems to be ready to go, but the game needs to be polished in every other aspect. It has potential!

- yeah I never thought about it, i'm definetely going to change it.
- i've reduced the amount of level you get per attack.
- yup i've noticed with reimu's down air.

OK three things

1. really good engine for a fighting game
2. LOVING the motion blur,screen shake and background change,makes everything more epic 8)
3. hell yeah 23 hit combo for reimu  :D

Keep working on it , this one has potential
But few problems

2. AI wise I suggest make them do more stuff like wait and move back a little rather than spam the living shit out of you using special moves
3. When the announcer says knock out, the one knocked out doesn't stand up 2 second later XD

Some suggestions
1. Make the HUD much more visible make it stretch to the sides
2. Battle in and out has to be bigger like at least make it a wee bit bigger
3. Make the sprites move slower I'm looking at the idle animation and they look like a bunch of cars ready to get a move on

But other than that good job  :D I'm gonna look forward to this as I do love me some 2D fighting games ;)

thanks for the suggestions, i'll change some stuff.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »

On the contrary I think the speed is fine. I like it, even.

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »
On the contrary I think the speed is fine. I like it, even.

I like the speed here too. I'm kind of button masher but once I get how to use some combos I aim to create a skill loop or similiar annoying technique. My friend did once a unstopable combo in Divine Souls using Fighter class (a guy with giant metal glove). Good times...