Author Topic: DMC3 question  (Read 5617 times)

Bananamatic

DMC3 question
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:44:35 PM »
Picking my games for xmas....and decided to try out the Devil May Cry series.

They have both the special edition and the normal one - the special edition was apparently really nerfed and I want games which will kick my ass instead of completing them in 3 days - what would I miss if I would go for the original one?

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
Re: DMC3 question
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »
The difficulty levels in SE were all shifted down by one, except for Dante Must Die mode, which is the same as the original.

Since only pussies play other modes anyway it doesn't matter.

Slacker

• He's the other ⑨!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »
The difficulty levels in SE were all shifted down by one, except for Dante Must Die mode, which is the same as the original.

Depends on what part you mean, if you mean DMC3 then the SE version had two modes "Gold" and "Yellow".

Yellow being the original version of the game while Gold is the newly added one.
"Easy difficulty" was also thrown in the mix.

Difference between the two modes was that Yellow had limited continues while Gold had infinite continues.(In Yellow mode, if you lost all your continues you had the restart all over again from the beginning.)

The SE version also had rebalanced difficulty, if this is really a big impact I don't know since I only have the SE version.

what would I miss if I would go for the original one?

These are the extras that you only have in DMC3 SE

- Gold mode
- Easy difficulty (Don't know if this was also present in normal DMC3)
- Play as Vergil
- New boss fight added
- Survival mode
- Turbo mode (20% faster game speed)

If you have any more questions, then please don't be afraid to ask.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:46:45 PM by Slacker »

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 03:12:48 AM »
The SE version also had rebalanced difficulty, if this is really a big impact I don't know since I only have the SE version.
This is what I am referring to. No actual changes were made to the difficulty levels; they were simply shifted down by one and the original Very Hard (or whatever) was removed. I.e., Very Hard is Hard, Hard is Normal, etc.

Bananamatic

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 06:13:53 AM »
So basically, I should be a man, start on Dante Must Die and buy the special edition?

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 06:18:05 AM »
I have both games, and honestly I think you should just go for the Special Edition.

Like what has been mentioned earlier, the difficulties were just shifted down by one. If you really want it to be difficult just pick a higher difficulty than what you would have picked otherwise.

As far as I can tell, you don't really lose anything from playing the Special Edition. It just gives you more options and a bunch of extras.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:20:12 AM by Professor Paul1290 »
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

Bananamatic

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:01:55 PM »
Okay, ordered the special edition.
Are all of the difficulties unlocked from the beginning? And what are the differences? And what is this "Heaven or Hell" mode?

Slacker

• He's the other ⑨!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »
In the beginning only Normal mode is available you can unlock Hard mode by completing Normal mode, Very Hard by completing Hard, DMD by completing Very Hard and HoH by completing DMD.
(Easy mode is unlocked by dieing three times in normal mode.)

Or you can use a cheat to unlock everything if you want to tackle the hardest modes immediately.

Heaven or Hell is a interesting mode, all enemies can be killed in one hit and Dante is killed in one hit.

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 06:01:30 PM »
Okay, ordered the special edition.
Are all of the difficulties unlocked from the beginning? And what are the differences? And what is this "Heaven or Hell" mode?

Compared the the regular US version the difficulties are shifted down one, meaning Easy became Normal, Normal became Hard ect. Perhaps a better way to say it is that the difficulties now the same as the Japanese and European versions of the game. If you didn't know already, the regular US version of the game actually had its difficulty stepped up compared the the Japanese and European versions for whatever reason.

"Heaven or Hell" mode different from the other difficulties in that it really changes how you play the game. Basically all your enemies die in one hit and you die in one hit as well, so it turns the game into a test of timing and reflexes more than anything else. It's extremely difficult and not really meant to be very balanced (some parts become really easy and others become absurdly hard), but it's fun way to mix things up if you get tired of the regular difficulty modes.

The Special Edition also has "Gold" mode in addition to the default "Yellow" mode. All this affects is how continues are handled. In "Yellow" mode, just like in the regular version, in order to start over in the level you are in when you die you need to use a "Yellow" orb. In "Gold" mode, you are allowed to start over in the level you are in whenever you die without the need for "Yellow" orbs and the "Yellow" orbs are replaced by "Gold" orbs which revive you on the spot the moment you die. This option only affects how continues and deaths are handled and does not affect other aspects of the game's difficulty.

There's also Turbo Mode, which increases the game's speed by 20%.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:27:20 PM by Professor Paul1290 »
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

Bananamatic

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »
Okay, a slight necro.
Tell me without spoilers - is there a boss almost every mission?
I've just finished mission 4 and already fought 3 bosses(and apparently only one of them was a major one). 14 left according to the monster list.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 09:56:19 PM »
No, not every mission has a boss
Wotters gonna' wot

Bananamatic

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »
No, not every mission has a boss
Most of them then?
Because I f-ing love bosses.

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 01:09:58 AM »
Won't spoil it for you. So yes.
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 01:14:59 AM »
Most of them then?
Because I f-ing love bosses.

Man they are pretty awesome. and one of the later ones gives you THE MOST AWESOME WEAPON EVER. I won't spoil it for you though <3
Wotters gonna' wot

Bananamatic

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 01:27:05 AM »
Awaiting the best game I've ever played.
And Agni&Rudra are kicking my ass. Can't figure out what exactly makes them drop their swords.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 04:10:35 PM by Bananamatic »