Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV Meetups, Advice, and everything else  (Read 6325 times)

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
Final Fantasy XIV Meetups, Advice, and everything else
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:07:47 AM »
[attach=1]

Hello there fellow Eorzeans (And Outer World denizens)!

I just sort of wanted to check around to see who else is still playing this game, and really to create a thread devoted to everything and anything related to the game itself.

If you're new to the game or looking to refresh your memory on certain topics, I'll try my best to help, or if you want to meet up with some others, try posting your info. Who knows? Someone else might be on the same world as you. Otherwise, this is a free topic for discussion.

If anybody's curious about my info, I'm a Paladin on Datacenter Aether, World Sargatanas under the names Lazuli Rose, and Lapis Rose, an officer of the Free Company Aria of Fantasy.

I hope to see other Eorzeans find this interesting thing called the internet (The Garleans made it, but I'm not completely sure how it works yet).

Obligatory background information:

Final Fantasy XIV is a subscription based MMORPG on PC, Mac, PS3, and PS4 as of now.

Being the Fourteenth installation in this renowned series, FFXIV takes things for an entirety new twist while retaining a lot of what you've seen from the old games. Not only does it allow for you to go through the entire game on a single character with its convenient job change system, that of which you'll find Ninjas, Paladins, and the classic White and Black Mages, but it's got ton of content, much of which old time fans will find enjoyable and some of which is downright hilarious on its own.

Unlike most other MMOs, their patch content times are fairly quick, where people will often only wait for 3 months before another patch arrives, and during that time you'll also find exclusive seasonal events which are only available for a certain amount of time (But they are fun!).

The quest line is what you would expect from a Final Fantasy game: Heavily story driven with some wonderful plot elements (Though the cut scenes could stand to be better), but otherwise it's nicely polished and a very fun game. The gameplay takes a spin on the standard MMO style of combat, changing up a number of elements such as your technique points (Think stamina) and your different magic point bars (For types of classes) while still remaining a fairly simple game to grasp. They've even just added a novice system with mentors!

If you find any interest in the game, you can play the free trial on Steam for 14 days, and while it restricts a few character features and stops you at level 20, most of the base concepts of the game can be found by then, so by that point you should be able to figure out whether or not you want to buy it (Join me on Sargatanas if you do!).

Fair winds, and happy questing!  :3
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:14:33 AM by Shadow1176 »
That time, is breakfast time!
My Fanfiction Profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2752493/Shadow1176
My Deviantart Account: http://shadow1176.deviantart.com/

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
Re: Final Fantasy XIV Meetups, Advice, and everything else
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:27:55 AM »
Remember when I made a thread about ffxiv and it kinda died out because I chose the worst possible time for it? Yeah that was fun!

I'm still Sacchi Hikaru on Cactuar, btw. But now I'm the leader of a tiny FC that already has a small house, a rank 50 Airship and Answers in the Orchestrion, so if you're around and you're looking for an FC, hit me up. /shameless advertising

So people, what's your favorite game mode and why is it the Feast? :V

(I've been having a blast playing the Feast as an AST, even if playing against a dirty BLM feels like torture.)

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »
I just recently started playing myself (running Scholar/Summoner, will eventually look into White Mage and potentially Bard or Astrologian). However, I play on Adamantoise with a buncha other folks from here.

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 10:02:14 PM »
I just recently started playing myself (running Scholar/Summoner, will eventually look into White Mage and potentially Bard or Astrologian). However, I play on Adamantoise with a buncha other folks from here.

How are you liking Summoner? A lot of people don't seem to like it because it's so different from the usual "Summoners" you expect from either generic RPGs or Final Fantasy in general.

(Also, please tell me you didn't get spoiled with the opening movie for Heavensward and that you watched the opening movie for ARR.)

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 11:46:01 PM »
I'mma DRG on Adamantoise. I may or may not suck at it. But at least I'm cute!

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 01:45:53 AM »
That Dragoon looks nice. All silverly and cool.

My favorite game mode would have to be... honestly the Feast. XD It's fun, smallish, and it's really just murder the other team fast as you can. And Paladins are apparently overpowered there, which I am (Cover the Healers. Always use cover on the healers).

If I may, does everybody from here on Adamantoise play in the same FC, or is there just a linkshell linking everyone?

As a level 15 Archanist, I have to say that it's just weird, considering the carbuncle summon play style and the massive number of DoTs.

Speaking of, are any of you guys done with your Anima Relic farming yet? XD (Only at 3 crystals)

I can tell you that DPSing for normal quests as a White Mage just sucks. But the healing aspect is fun if you like keeping everybody alive. And you know, keeping the entirety of the team together in everything. Great for single heals, like with Benediction, Cure 2, and Tetragrammation, but that's really if the team is taking more damage.

Astrologian on the other hand is focused more on support roles, using several different cards to boost certain attributes. They're relatively decent at healing, and have some damage mitigation, both of which are used through their two stances, the first using regen and the second having barrier effects. but it's really the variety of support skills that they have that makes them stand out from Scholar and White Mage. And the fact that they can switch between the primary roles of a Scholar and a White Mage.

Do note though that the Astrologian requires you to finish all of the main quest content of base game to 2.55 before you can get into Heavensward, where the job is available.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:58:09 AM by Shadow1176 »

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 02:25:39 AM »
Seriously though, for as fun as the Astrologian is, it needs buffs. Not nearly as badly as before, mind you, but there's really no one point where bringing an Astrologian is better than the usual SCH/WHM combo. Although a large part of that is just the SCH being ridiculously overpowered. In terms of sheer heals there's no competing with a Divine Seal Medica 2 + Medica and Tetragrammaton. And in terms of mitigation it's hard to do better than a Critloquium -> Deployment Tactics. Also the fairy is kind of a big deal too.

That said, Astrologian is 100% viable, especially after the Shuffle -> Redraw change and the buffs to Spire and Ewer.

My favorite game mode would have to be... honestly the Feast. XD It's fun, smallish, and it's really just murder the other team fast as you can. And Paladins are apparently overpowered there, which I am (Cover the Healers. Always use cover on the healers).

Really? I find that the only tank that even poses a threat to me is Warrior, and that's only because of the Fell Cleaves. Of course, a Paladin can offer emergency heals, Cover and take a single target out of a fight for upwards of 10 seconds, but when it comes down to being a contant threat it's hard to do better than Fell Cleaves.

At least Paladins aren't Dark Knights though, poor things, they're useless in pvp.

Speaking of, are any of you guys done with your Anima Relic farming yet? XD (Only at 3 crystals)

I got my Kannagi within a month of its release, although I did skip the crystal farming stage (RELIC QUESTLINE FTW). I would recommend waiting until 3.25 or 3.3 before going for your Anima at this point. Hype's died down already and they are probably going to nerf the current stage once the next one is released (which was scheduled for 3.25 or 3.3)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:27:53 AM by Sacchimon »

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 02:38:05 AM »
I mean, every single time that they get a new relic that previous ones are nerfed, but I do still want to finish my anima relic quest to see if I can get the full thing to use for the next relic (Unless there's little to no value to skipping the first step or something).

That said, there isn't that much time until the next relic then, so maybe I shouldn't get it to full... I hear that the grind tokens are brutal. DX

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 02:49:29 AM »
How are you liking Summoner? A lot of people don't seem to like it because it's so different from the usual "Summoners" you expect from either generic RPGs or Final Fantasy in general.

(Also, please tell me you didn't get spoiled with the opening movie for Heavensward and that you watched the opening movie for ARR.)

I like it. Having the summon be able to act alone and not need to be micromanaged is fantastic honestly-- it's like being able to solo with an ally at all times. It sure as hell is better than Thaumaturge, which I found to be a massive snoozefest that died to a stiff breeze. I wanted to play Scholar from the start and prefer it, especially now that I have Succor and can therefore be a more efficient healer in dungeons, but Summoner just makes soloing go faster.

(And I honestly have no idea which opening is which, I just started playing the game and watched whatever video it started with!)

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 02:55:26 AM »
I like it. Having the summon be able to act alone and not need to be micromanaged is fantastic honestly-- it's like being able to solo with an ally at all times. It sure as hell is better than Thaumaturge, which I found to be a massive snoozefest that died to a stiff breeze. I wanted to play Scholar from the start and prefer it, especially now that I have Succor and can therefore be a more efficient healer in dungeons, but Summoner just makes soloing go faster.

(And I honestly have no idea which opening is which, I just started playing the game and watched whatever video it started with!)

Is Thaumaturge really that boring? I haven't tried it yet, but my friend does like it a rather lot.

Also, if you have Heavensward installed, then you see the trailer for Heavensward if you wait on the title screen. If you just started the game in general, you saw the one for a Realm Reborn i.e base game.

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 02:58:23 AM »

At higher levels it's recommended that you micromanage your pet, because the caster pet is very unlikely to use Contagion properly (and Contagion ends up being a big part of your damage as a summoner). Micromanaging as a Scholar is also important, at least, when using Eos, Selene not so much.

(Go to movies and choose "Answers", which is the opening movie for 2.0. The other movie spoils all of the 2.x storyline since it's the Heavensward opening.)

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 03:24:40 AM »
If I may, does everybody from here on Adamantoise play in the same FC, or is there just a linkshell linking everyone?
Most, if not all of us, are part of the Order of the Wild Rose.

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 11:49:28 AM »
I resubbed recently and powered through the 2.X stuff to get to the expansion content. I've stuck with Summoner until now, and at least plan on getting it to 60 so I can use the new job skills, but Machinist seems to fit my style of play the most. Less focus on DoTs and more on mobile burst damage. I play on Gilgamesh, though, so I'm sort of isolated from MotKers.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 01:03:54 AM »
I can tell you that Machinist is a load of fun to play, even having having done the first job quest. The shots are fairly simple, and learning it doesn't take too much time. Also, shooting stuff in the face is just far too fun in the game. XD

How's everyone enjoying Hatching Tide? I haven't gotten around to it, but it seems fun.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 01:09:18 AM »
It's... annoying, honestly. Props to them for making them actual legit quests, but now they take too damned long for too little reward. Hope you like chasing the giant egg only for it to roll away as soon as you reach it.

I did it so I could get the Pa-paya Orchestrion song (because it's hella cute) and the Dust Bunny and stopped. Might get the other stuff later, but honestly the fastest way to get the eggs is to just to the FATEs.

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 08:12:22 PM »
Oh god, it's one of the run away person quests? DX I hate those, even if you can just teleport to their general location.

On the bright side, I finally got my first lore chest piece, a hellfire armor of fending! Even though it looks terrible with my Creed gear. XD

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 11:14:03 PM »
What have you guys been doing for lore tomestones? I can only really play on the weekends, so I really only have time for a few daily roulettes, and oftentimes I find myself scrambling to find other things to do for more lore. Any suggestions?

Also, I look ridiculous in this set. XD

[attach=1]

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 02:24:23 AM »
The Feast. Definitely The Feast.

Also, it looks like PSO2 and FFXIV have confirmed a Collab.

As someone who plays both games, I am in love with this more than I should.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 09:46:19 PM »
How did I never notice we had an FFXIV thread. Whelp.

Uh... I'm not really a PvPer so I don't do the Feast at all, but I've got a couple characters. I've a WHM in the middle of 3.2 content (can't do Antitower yet because iLvls are fun to work around), and a DRG in the middle of... 2.2 content I think, both on Balmung (mostly since it's the RP server and the only reason I have more than one character is to have RP variety, it just means getting them all through 2.x so I can access Heavensward, which uh... takes time. A lot of time. Ahaha...).
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 11:17:22 PM »
How did you get onto Balmung? DX I can never get onto that or Gilgamesh...

Although I did finally get my alt to 51, and I made another alt with the same name as our one and only seven colored puppeteer.  :3

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 03:30:40 AM »
I sat and waited for couple hours when I first started, trying every now and then to make my character on Gilgamesh. Worked out in the end.

Speaking of, I did finally get my main class to 60 and beat HW. Still need to clear the EX primals, but I have minimum i200 gear so undersizing won't be tough. Even finished my main's glamour, because fashion is the true endgame.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]