Author Topic: Touhou 14.5: 東方深秘録 ~ Urban Legend in Limbo. is HM sequel, demo at Comiket 87  (Read 808750 times)

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
As far as I know, it's after she activates her top-most spellcard. She doesn't know what to do with it and just starts flying around.

Ah, alright then, I'll have to make sure that spellcard isn't selected for now. I was worried there was a bug with Miko's occult move or something.
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
Then why are they entering Gensokyo now? And how is the Lunar Capital occult ball related to that? Or is all of that stuff still unknown?

Personally I think there's mutiny going on. And you're likely going to end up helping Toyohime and Yorihime.
There's no way they would allow any mindless violence to go on, and they're perfectly content with letting earth stay as it is.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

Xarizzar

• RPG fan
Merry and Renko are from the future. Sumireko is in the present. Since Sumireko and Renko have the last same last name, Usami, they are most likely related. Maybe Sumireko is Renko's ancestor or something.
Spoiler:
Indeed, it has been proven that they're in a future. The future of our world, that is (or at least, what ZUN believes to be the future of our world). Everyone, please forgive me once again if I've missed anything important, but could it not be that the outside world that "Gensokyo is connected to" is the same world of those two, despite it being proven to be a future of something? Actually, how much info do we have on the outside world, counting the info of ULiL? In ULiL, I believe they only thing that is shown are skyscrapers/buildings. Do we have anything that adds to, or contradicts the info on the music CDs or any other precious source of information?

Once again, please forgive me if I missed anything, but the beautiful world of Gensokyo is large, and I have not examined the story enough times to know every single detail about it.

FearNagae

• Hisouten/soku Enthusiast
Spoiler:
IIRC Kasen said she's opening a hole to 130 years ago?

Not sure, can't read the runes :(

Drake

Spoiler:
Indeed, it has been proven that they're in a future. The future of our world, that is (or at least, what ZUN believes to be the future of our world). Everyone, please forgive me once again if I've missed anything important, but could it not be that the outside world that "Gensokyo is connected to" is the same world of those two, despite it being proven to be a future of something? Actually, how much info do we have on the outside world, counting the info of ULiL? In ULiL, I believe they only thing that is shown are skyscrapers/buildings. Do we have anything that adds to, or contradicts the info on the music CDs or any other precious source of information?

Once again, please forgive me if I missed anything, but the beautiful world of Gensokyo is large, and I have not examined the story enough times to know every single detail about it.
The current works follow our world fairly closely and refer to modern stuff. Previously we've had things like Rinnosuke finding an iPod and Yukari calling a Game Boy an old model. CoLA in particular had a number of references. Miko coming to Gensokyo was a direct consequence of ZUN hearing about scholars debating the existence of Prince Shoutoku, and in SoPM Kanako talks about the status of the Outside World in a modern sense. She mentions remote controls. Another common example is the supposed huge increase in souls 60 years before PoFV, which would have been 1945.

One reference most people probably weren't aware of was in the Shogi article in SoPM, which was set all the way back in Season 78, which was approximately 1963. It talks about "post-war reconstruction" and "rapid economic growth", which is referring to Japan's skyrocketing economy during the 1950~60s.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:04:02 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

7TC7

• In best company
Spoiler:
IIRC Kasen said she's opening a hole to 130 years ago?

Not sure, can't read the runes :(

Spoiler:
Marisa's Story is already translated on the wiki. I think the 130 years old thing that's beeing opened is the barrier and not that what's behind the barrier is 130 years in the past.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

UTW

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm going to link you to something I wrote on reddit concerning this topic: http://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/35g9px/discussion_reitaisai_12_discussion_thread/cr4bqgp

Your theory is possible, but I don't personally think so. I think most theories are accurate. Renko and Mari are indeed from an unspecified future. However, I don't believe their time is linked to "current" Gensokyo. I believe Sumireko's world (and consequently Sanae's...I wonder if Sumireko knows of Sanae's mysterious disappearance? I wish they would meet) to be "current" and is linked to "current" Gensokyo. I think they run more or less concurrent. My reasoning is that the Moriyas don't make mention of anything like what Renko and Mari experiences and are fairly knowledgeable of what was current before they entered. They are modern. There's also all the fairly modern junk that falls through and comes to Gensokyo. So I think anything that comes through the barrier comes from a concurrent normal world.

The question remains of how the Sealing Club are able to come through and seemingly arrive at various points in time. Particularly the past. And not just their past, but Gensokyo's past. SInce as I recall a note or something of Maribel's becomes lost in the past, for instance. There's something causing this gap or dilation to occur. Who knows what it is, but perhaps, at some point, something happens between now and the Sealing Club's time so that the two worlds are no longer in sync. Though this barrier incursion in ULiL would seem to do it. Well, it's just my theory, anyway. And thinking about it, if this is the case, then Sumireko having a hand in breaking through must have been necessary for Maribel to visit at the points she did, creating a loop, maybe? Hmm.

UTW

Double post, dunno how this happened.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:31:49 AM by UTW »

Xarizzar

• RPG fan
The current works follow our world fairly closely and refer to modern stuff. Previously we've had things like Rinnosuke finding an iPod and Yukari calling a Game Boy an old model. CoLA in particular had a number of references. Miko coming to Gensokyo was a direct consequence of ZUN hearing about scholars debating the existence of Prince Shoutoku, and in SoPM Kanako talks about the status of the Outside World in a modern sense. She mentions remote controls. Another common example is the supposed huge increase in souls 60 years before PoFV, which would have been 1945.

One reference most people probably weren't aware of was in the Shogi article in SoPM, which was set all the way back in Season 78, which was approximately 1963. It talks about "post-war reconstruction" and "rapid economic growth", which is referring to Japan's skyrocketing economy during the 1950~60s.
I'm not quite sure how valid the items CoLA are as proof. I mean, those would be obsolete in the future too. Although I do seem to be remembering that items appear in Muenzuka (?) shortly after they become obsolete.

@UTW: Thank you for replying, but please do keep in mind that I'm asking questions to clear up any possible confusions, not theorizing. My questions and the basis/subjects of my theories are very different.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:27:13 AM by Xarizzar »

I don't know what Tasofro did, but even with the fixes the users here posted, it seems my computer has deemed it unrunnable.

Oh well, I regrettably will pass from ULiL even though I want to play so badly. My God, another disadvantage of being poor and the inability to get a better laptop. :( :( :( :(
Have you done anything with your Antivirus yet? One of the issue is because of the antivirus.
If possible, show us what error you're having all this time.

Is there anywhere I can get a tutorial as to mechanics? Written, video anything works.
Can anyone translate config menu, please? Thank you
I'm hoping for some tutorials or whatever soon because I have no idea WTF I'm doing with Mokou. :derp:

If you guys still need it, I found someone who made a guide to the game's systems and mechanics. Credits to the original writer/uploader.
http://pastebin.com/6jdvjhSs
Though it was for the web demo version, so I'll add some changes for the full version of ULiL.

Touhou 14.5 - Urban Legend in Limbo
Web demo and latest patch can be found on Tasofro's site: http://tasofro.net/touhou145/

Contents
[1.] What is this?
[2.] Settings guide
[3.] Basic gameplay and Controls overview
[4.] The Occult Ball, Mystery Spots
[5.] Practice mode
[6.] Network play
[7.] FAQ, troubleshooting

[1.] What is this?
Touhou 14.5 Urban Legend in Limbo, abbreviated as ULiL, is the fifth fighting game spinoff in the Touhou series and the sequel to Touhou 13.5 Hopeless Masquerade. It features the original cast of 13.5 along with four (currently known) new characters. It also features redone movement and control, new gameplay mechanics and a community-made soundtrack with help of many popular doujin circles. The game revolves around japanese myths, and each character has attacks and a Last Word (ultra technique) that revolve around a particular myth.

[2.] Settings guide
From the main menu are Story Mode, Vs Com, Vs Player, Vs Network, Practice, Replay, Musicroom, Profile and Config.
Under Profile you will find options to tweak your profile's name, icon and controls. If you like, you can make a custom icon-- simply create a 32x32 bitmap and save it in the game's icon folder, located in the folder where you unzipped the game.
A translation of the profile menu can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/m3smMIY.jpg

Under Config you'll find various options to the game's sound and display.
A translation can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/3KpIvua.png
Some additions for the Full game are:
Save Replay  - Save all ; Disable ; Ask me everytime
Save Replay (Vs Network) - Save all ; Matches only ; Spectating only ; Disable

Generally you'll want to keep Vsync off. This game, and Hopeless Masquerade, have horribly implemented Vsync that causes the game to chug. If either player has it on during netplay, it will slow the game down for both players.
If you're playing on a low end PC and you find that you can't get decent frames, try changing background quality to low.

[3.] Basic gameplay and Controls

Gameplay in Urban Legend in Limbo is similar in many respects to most conventional fighting games except for movement because of the lack of physical ground. Players attack each other with various abilities that reduce the health of the other player.
When one player's health reaches 0 or the timer runs out, the round will end. When a player's health reaches 0, the other player will receive a round point. In the event of the timer running out, the player with the most remaining health will win. If both players have the same amount of health, the player with the most occult balls will win. If both players have the same amount of health and occult balls, the round will result in a draw.
Matches are decided in a best 2 out of 3 format. The first player to reach two round points wins.

--Game modes--
In Story Mode, the player will move through a series of stages where they fight against an AI controlled opponent for several rounds. The first round will usually play like a normal match, but during the following rounds the AI character will gain access to various special attacks called spellcards and become immune to hitstun. Some stages even have the opponent use it right away and consists of only spellcards. During 2nd and later spellcards, an occult ball or more will sometimes appear either next to the AI opponent or within their attack. If you touch the border around it, you will deal damage to the opponent's super armor (as indicated by the pink bar near the timer), eventually making them dizzy for a few seconds and removing their super armor.
You cannot capture occult balls in Story Mode, and Mystery Spot effects will not occur. You are, however, given a set amount of occult balls at the start of each match. It will increase as you go through each stage, taking your opponent's ball.

Vs Com pits the player against an AI controlled character with a choice of four difficulties: Easy, Normal, Hard and Lunatic. The player chooses his character and spellcard, and the AI's character and spellcard.
Vs Player allows two players to play locally.
Vs Network allows for two players to play over the internet.

--Basic controls--
Character movement will be represented using the button placement found on the numpad of a typical PC keyboard.
7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3
6 denotes the forward button and 4 denotes the backward button. Standing still, or not pressing any direction at all, is represented by the 5 button. These directions reverse when standing on the right side of the screen, but to avoid confusion we will always assume you are on the left side of the screen. 8 represents up and 2 represents down.
The numbers 7, 9, 1 and 3 denote diagonal directions and can be performed by pressing two directional buttons together. For example, pressing 8 and 6 together will result in 9.

Aside from directions, ULiL has four buttons used for attacks and one button used for movement. All controls can be re-bound in the profile menu, and keyboard and gamepad controls may be bound indepedently.

A (default key Z) - Pressing this button executes a melee attack. Standing still while pressing it will cause a different attack depending on your distance from your opponent. Point blank attacks standing still are referred to as 5a while distant attacks are referred to as f5a. f5a tends to have a larger hitbox.
When standing next to the enemy player and hitting 5a repeatedly you will execute a short combo. The first two hits are light melee attacks. The third is a nondirectional heavy melee attack. The fourth hit is a directional heavy melee attack and holding a direction when it is executed will change it accordingly. The fifth hit is another directional melee attack and, again, will change when holding a direction. They're some of your skill attacks, and in case of Byakuren and Koishi, need no setup beforehand.
You can also perform a single heavy melee attack by pressing a direction (2/6/8) as you press A. These attacks mostly have different properties compared to the ones in the previous combo. 4a will force you to use 5a even if you're not close to the opponent. Depending on your position, some of these attacks may change, so take note.

B (default key X) - This button is used for danmaku. Reimu's needles, Marisa's stars, Kasen's hadoukens for example. Holding this button down briefly and releasing it will perform another attack. Holding it down longer will create a more powerful version of the charged B attack. This is denoted by the glowing blue aura behind your character while charging, and the second 'stage' of charge is denoted by a more intense aura. The only way to cancel out of a charged ability is to backdash with 44 or fire the projectile.

C (default key C) - This button is used for special attacks, and has various effects. For Reimu, pressing it while standing still will cause her to dash around the screen. Kasen uses to command her animals, etc. Some special attacks may require you to mash the button(Ichirin's and Nitori's 5c), can be charged (Byakuren's 6c, Sumireko's 5c), and can also change depending on your position. Test them out to see the different properties.

Using B or C moves (otherwise known as spirit attacks) requires Spirit, denoted by the flames at the bottom of the screen. You have six spirit flames by default, and they are consumed when a spirit attack is executed and recharge when not using them for a few seconds. When you run out, you must wait for at least one spirit flame to recharge to use another spirit attack.

D (default key A) - This button activates spellcards, which can be used when your special meter is charged at least to the initial threshold. You can charge it by firing danmaku and hitting with attacks and how much charge you have is indicated at the bottom of the screen next to your chosen spellcard. To use a spellcard, you need to first declare it by hitting the button once, and then activate it by pressing it again. The spellcard does more damage the more charge you have, and can be charged far beyond the initial use requirement. When you declare a spellcard, you stop accruing spellpower until you use the spellcard. Also, pre-declared spellcards will deal more damage than spellcards that are declared and used instantly.
Each character has 3 different spellcards, and you can only use one at a time. You choose your spellcard on the character select screen, after choosing your character.
In story mode, dying while not using the spellcard after declaring will deplete your meters, so pay attention.

Dash (default key S) - Pressing this key while holding a direction will cause your character to move forward quickly, and fly while jumping.  On 'ground,' pressing 66 will result in the same effect, but while jumping, the dash button will cause you to continually fly while 66 or 44 will perform a short dash in the air and then you will fall back to the center. You can dash twice in mid air before you are forced to fall. Pressing dash and 8 together in the air will cause a double jump. Pressing A or B while dashing will cause a dash attack.

You can also now see the list of special attacks that your character has on the pause menu during fights. It usually gives you info on additional things it can do if it has it.

--Directional attacks--
Holding a direction while pressing A, B or C will cause different attacks and generally are used for attacking up or down.
Pressing A while pressing up, down, or forward will execute a melee attack in that direction.
Pressing B while holding up (otherwise referred to as 8b) will usually cause you to shoot your danmaku up, for example.
However, pressing a direction while pressing C will usually result in a different special attack, for example Kasen's 8c commands her eagle.

--Jumping--
In Urban Legend in Limbo, there is no physical ground and both characters are constantly in flight. Dissimilar to the previous game, Hopeless Masquerade, the center of the screen acts as the default plane characters fight on and is referred to as the 'ground.' Pressing 8 will cause your character to fly upward and then fall back down. Pressing 2 will cause your character to fly downward and then rise back to the center. This is referred to as 'jumping' and attacks performed while jumping will be referred to with a j in front of them, for example j5a. The A button performs different attacks while jumping, but B and C act as normal.

--Blocking--
Holding the opposite direction when being attacked will cause your character to block. When you block an attack, a blue hexagon shield will appear to protect you. As you get hit, the shield will gradually turn red. If all the hexagons turn red, the shield will break and you will be momentarily stunned.
When blocking melee attacks, you take no damage, but when blocking spirit attacks and spellcards you take a small amount of chip damage.
You can also push back your opponent by pressing C while blocking, but the amount of time you remain blocking before you can act again (aka blockstun) is increased compared to blocking normally.

[4.] The Occult Ball, Occult attacks, Mystery Spot

Periodically during play, a countdown will appear in the middle of the screen. When it reaches 0, an occult ball will spawn and a mystery spot will trigger.
Touching the occult ball will mark it with a color. Player 1 marks the ball with red, player 2 with blue. At the end of the mystery spot, whoever has the most marks on the ball will receive it and it will be added to the occult ball meter next to the timer as either red or blue. Occult balls are used to activate occult attacks and Weird Last Words.

To activate an occult attack, gather at least one occult ball and press A and B together. Some characters have only one attack, while others cycle through different variations of their occult attack. After using an occult attack, you will glow with a purple aura briefly. If you are attacked during this time, there is a chance your occult ball will be stolen by the other player.

To activate a Weird Last Word, gather at least four occult balls and press C and Spellcard together. Generally you need to be point blank to hit with it, and it can be blocked. If it hits, a special animation will play and significant damage will be dealt, at least 4k and all the way up to 8k if you can manage to gather 7 occult balls. Hit or miss, all of your occult balls will be consumed.

There are seven different mystery spot effects that trigger when an occult ball spawns.
Pyramids: Both players' Occult Attacks are at max power.
Stonehenge: The stage's left/right walls narrow.
Tower of Babel: Touching the Occult Ball's capture field briefly turns it into a projectile that can hit the opponent.
Yomotsu Hirasaka: Steadily turns both players' life bars white faster the closer they are to the center of the stage. White life counts as damage, and damaging your opponent with attacks will also add to the white life, but when the Mystery Spot ends it turns back into normal health. Meaning that your attacks won't count unless you finish the opponent. Large Occult Ball capture field.
Nazca Lines: Touching the Occult Ball's capture field restores a small amount of life and 100 spell power.
Hell Valley: Fogs the bottom of the screen and slowly damages players in that area.
Lunar Capital: Slows down most projectile attacks.

[5.] Practice mode

By the full version, the game now have a proper practice mode.

The menu consists of 4 tabs: Player 1, Player 2, Setting, and Macro

Player menu tab allows you to set:
Health Gauge: Sets maximum health for this player in 10% increments. Changes between 100%, 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, 50%, 40%, 30%, 20%, and 10%.
Spirit Gauge: Sets spirit power for this player. Changes between always 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1 flame, and normal in-game behavior.
Occult Ball: Sets the amount of possessed Occult Balls.
Guard Durability: Sets maximum spirit for this player in 20% increments. Changes between 100%, 80%, 60%, 40%, 20%, and 0%.
Spellcard Gauge: Sets spell power for this player. Changes between always 2 bar, 1.5 bar, 1 bar, 0.5 bar, empty and normal in-game behavior.
Position: Changes the starting position when you reset the practice(F1). Dummy will also position themselves to the point set here.
Special Gauge: Sets the state of some characters' gimmick. Not everyone has it.

Setting menu allows you to set:
Mystery Spot: Forces a Mystery Spot to appear. Mystery Spots is set to not appear by default.
Player 2 Control: Changes the behavior, from: dummy, jump up, jump down, COM, and 2P.
Computer AI: Changes the difficulty, from: Easy Normal, Hard, and Lunatic.
Counter: Forces counter to occur. Changes between random, always, and disable.
Guard: Changes auto-blocking for Player 2. Changes between no auto-block, random, first strike only, and normal auto-block.
Guard: Changes auto-Barrier Guard for Player 2. Changes between no auto-block, random, and auto-Barrier Guard.
Recovery: Changes the direction between back, forward, and random.

Macro menu allows you to set:
Macro Select: Set the slot you want to use for recording or replaying.
Macro Record: Record the movement
Macro Replay: Replays the movement you recorded, and repeat it with a reset.

Reset practice mode (F1)
Return to game
Return to character select screen
Return to title

[6.] Network play

Under Vs Network you will find options to host and join network games. A full translation of this will be available later.

The top option will host a game, second option manually input the IP and port numbers of the host you want to join, third option lets you select among the host that you've joined before, and the fourth option connects to a game from the copied IP&Port from the clipboard. If you receive a message with no options when you attempt to connect, the connection has failed. If you receive a message with an option when you attempt to connect, you are given the option to close the connection or spectate, spectate being the second option.
If you wish to leave a game after joining, you need to hold B for a few seconds on the character select screen.

To host this game you need an open port, default port 10800. Since everyone uses a different router, specific instructions on how to port forward are not particularly helpful. Use http://portforward.com and look up your individual device, and then how to port forward a simple game like Half-Life, but port forward the port 10800 instead of whatever numbers they give you.

This game does not have a rollcaster. As such, we are at the mercy of japanese network programming. However, so long as you play with someone in your general part of the world, you should have a playable game. Even someone a few hundred miles away from you could feasibly work so long as you both have a good connection.
Another tip is, especially when hosting, to play with an ethernet connection. Playing on wireless is prone to be a bit laggier than a direct ethernet connection.
Unfortunately, playing outside your country (or even with someone who's just on the other side of your country) will usually result in a game of turn based ULiL.

[7.] FAQ and troubleshooting

Q. Isn't this just HM2? I thought that game sucked and that's why no one plays it.
A. No. It runs on the same engine as HM and uses many of the same assets. However, it is a completely redesigned game from controls to gameplay to systems. Gone is the floaty flight that HM had, along with popularity and the strict timer. If you hated HM, give this a try. While a rollcaster will still be necessary for international and long distance play, the netplay is also slightly better implemented here and there's a bit more leeway in how far away you can be from someone and still have a playable game.

That's the system basics I guess. If you meant for general fighting tips, then maybe someone else more capable can explain it.

Still feel that the roster is a wasted potential.  Number wouldn't have been an issue if they used more new characters who are more associated with urban legends (Aya, Hatate, Sanae, Kogasa, etc.) instead of bringing back characters who don't look like they fit the theme of the game...

Here's hoping for a 12.3-style update!
At this point, you sound like you just don't want to see the cast of HM returning in this game, even if you said otherwise.

What would be a waste, is if they didn't make use of the existing assets. And even then, they made drastic changes to how they all play, so in my opinion HM won't be obsolete. Right now, there are some that have a hard time keeping up with the others, but they still have the potential.
More character is always welcome, but I'd rather have a decent balanced game.

Anyway, regarding translations, where should we start?
Marisa's story is already translated, but not the rest. I'd like to know how they got the Japanese script though. Was it manually typed or extracted from the game? Because that'll make things easier.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:03:43 AM by monhan »

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
I don't think anyone posted a translation of this yet, so I compared the config page of HM to ULiL and created this.
Seriously though, what does Ichirin's Z+X attack do?  :derp:

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

This turned out to be a great addition to the Touhou fighting games. I'm looking forward to adding this one to my hard drive once a 1.0 English patch comes out.  :D

One thing is still a mystery now that the dust of the full release is slowly settling. Why are Mokou's sleeves all chopped up in this game? Are there any hints of this in her dialogue anywhere?

It's not that important really but I remembered alot of people where going "eh?" when the first screen shots of her where released.

I'm not quite sure how valid the items CoLA are as proof. I mean, those would be obsolete in the future too. Although I do seem to be remembering that items appear in Muenzuka (?) shortly after they become obsolete.

@UTW: Thank you for replying, but please do keep in mind that I'm asking questions to clear up any possible confusions, not theorizing. My questions and the basis/subjects of my theories are very different.

Some magazines from the outside world flow into Gensokyo in Forbidden Scrollery.  THey mention the fall of the Berlin Wall.  In addition, the Apollo Project is mentioned in Imperishable Night's backstory, as is the Chiange project in Silent Sinner in Blue.

Wild and Horned Hermit also had that seal that made its way to Japan (an actual event in real life) show up in Gensokyo, too.

All of these are events that happened in the real world (your world, my world, whatever).  Therefore odds are pretty good "the outside world" and "the real world" (that you and I are from) are one and the same.

Likewise, Maribel and Renko's stories mention several real world events and figures.  Steven Hawking was already brought up, but it's also mentioned in Magical Astronomy that the Greenwhich Observatory was built in the 17th century, which is, again, when it was built in our world.

If Maribel and Renko are from an alternate/concurrent/whatever dimension, and if Gensokyo's outside world is a different alternate/concurrent/whatever dimension, and our own real world is an alternate/concurrent/whatever dimension, I find it awfully suspect that all of them have yet to mention any contradicting historical events.  Why wasn't the Greenwhich observatory in Maribel's time built in the 15th century instead of the 17th?  Why wasn't the Apollo Project in Gensokyo's outside world named the Prometheus project instead?  Why is Stephen Hawking known in Maribel's world?  Why does Maribel's world ALSO have a Tokyo and a Mt. Fuji?  Why did Gensokyo's outside world also have a seal that made its way to Japan just like our real world?  Why does Maribel's world have the exact same legends about the moon that Gensokyo has?  They all coincidentally happen to be (or happen to be named) exactly what they are in our real world.

So, yea, pretty darn sure they're all the same.  Even the future of Maribel's world is stuff that ZUN basically said in his commentary that he believes will be the future of our world (the synthetic bamboo stalks in his commentary he also specifically chalks up to "scientific progress", by the way.  If it were an alternate dimension, he would have said something to that effect, instead, I'd think)

Either that or they're the most friggin' LAZY alternate dimensions/whatevers EVER because they're all THE SAME, right down to their historic events and legends.

About the only things really contradicting our past compared to everything else is that Prince Shotoku is a girl.  Even then that's implied to be either a historical recording error or some other strange shenanigan (one that doesn't involve Gensokyo's outside world being different from our real world) because it's explicitly shown in Sanae's ending that the outside world of Gensokyo's history recorded Prince Shotoko as a guy, just like our real world.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:32:54 PM by Tiamat »

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
It creates a sphere of purple energy around your opponent's current location.  If they leave it before it dissipates, or before they hit you to cancel it, they'll get zapped.  Great for trolling opponents who like to move around a lot ;)

On that note, for anyone who hasn't figured it out, Nitori's Z+X is actually really fun to mess around with once you know what you're doing.  The first press activates the Nessie robot.  Forward+Z+X and backward+Z+X maneuvers it, and down+Z+X puts it away.  While it's out, the battery icon above Nitori's spell bar slowly drains, but loses a sizable chunk of charge every time it automatically fires on the opponent.  If you don't put the robot away before it drains completely, you'll lose an Occult ball to the opponent.

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
It creates a sphere of purple energy around your opponent's current location.  If they leave it before it dissipates, or before they hit you to cancel it, they'll get zapped.  Great for trolling opponents who like to move around a lot ;)

Oh, cool! o3o
Thanks for the info~

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

Have you done anything with your Antivirus yet? One of the issue is because of the antivirus.
If possible, show us what error you're having all this time.

That's the thing, I can't.  There's nothing. Even with the patched exe all I get is a window opening to the black void which then closes immediately.

Btw, I don't think this is an issue since I can run HM and the first demo of ULiL, but does it have to do with my OS being 32bit?

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
Some stuff I found with Shinmyoumaru, if people are interested :

5AAA 8A 8B 9C (1636, 50 stun)
5AAAA 4C (2136, 100 stun) - Corner only
5AAA 2A 4C 2C (2008 damage, 100 stun)
5AAAA [6B] 2C (2046 damage, 100 stun)
5AAAA [6B] 6C 2C (2281 damage, 100 stun) -  Only works around the center of the field, else the 6C will whiff.
All of these can be done after a j.A, for like around 400 more damage.

Her DashB is acting super weird with some characters for some reasons. The move normally had 7 hits with the last hit sending the opponent towards the wall. All characters get hit only 6 times and get launched except :
Miko - 7 hits
Marisa - 6 hits, LAST HIT DOESN'T LAUNCH GG HITBOXES
Mamizou - 5 hits
Shinmyoumaru - 7 hits

6C DashB (1651 damage, 100 stun) - Only way I could make all the hits of her DashB connect against every character.

Her Adorable Tai Gong Wang does tons of damage in the corner and is not really hard to combo into, and you can even hit the opponent after it, though I think a single hit is enough to limit, so the best to do is just 2C. I tried to use her charged 5B but there's just not enough time. Last Word works perfectly afterwards though.

Some examples :

5AAAA [6B] 6C D 2C (5378 damage, 100 stun)
j.A 5AAAA [6B] 6C D 2C (5711 damage, 100 stun)

Please correct Yomotsu Hirasaka description: not only it turns players' health white, but it also causes any damage dealt during Mystery Spot turn health white. That means if you don't  defeat your opponent during event, all health will return exactly as it was at the beginning of the Spot (and Mokou will receive a bit of extra healing XD).

I have a question on Koishi: her dash teleports her behind her opponent, but she will face wrong direction. How to make her turn quickly  to strike opponent from behind immediately?

i've already gotten two PMs about this, so i'll just make it clear

i'm not updating that nvidia-fix from a few pages back because i don't have the game and i'm not getting it, taking a pass on this one

thanks

Ozzter

I have a question on Koishi: her dash teleports her behind her opponent, but she will face wrong direction. How to make her turn quickly  to strike opponent from behind immediately?

What I ended up doing is using her occult attack as a first hit, then followed up from that, since Koishi's occult attack hits all around her. Of course this requires an occult ball to do, which means you can't do this at the start of a round. Though I'm not a very good Koishi player, I haven't thouroughly experimented with her moveset.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:08:47 PM by Ozzter »

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
From what I've tested, not much outside of A+B. Maybe a quick tri-dash over the opponent but I've yet to test it myself

I don't think anyone posted a translation of this yet, so I compared the config page of HM to ULiL and created this.

Well Ichirin summons the 8 Feet Tall Lady, to create a sort of occult barrier around the opponent, if the opponent touches the limit of the barrier then they will be damaged, you can also use it for distancing Ichirin from the opponent.
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

FearNagae

• Hisouten/soku Enthusiast
From what I've tested, not much outside of A+B. Maybe a quick tri-dash over the opponent but I've yet to test it myself

How about stop and wait a couple frames to recover and just do 5a?

How about stop and wait a couple frames to recover and just do 5a?

Then opponent will turn too, and at least can block, or even do her own 5A. Waiting still in melee - not the best idea, I thnk.

You have to play Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom for that answer. But Lunarians were always able to enter Gensokyo.

I've played the game and I've read the wiki's translations of Reimu's and Reisen's scenarios and neither of them say why the moon is invading now rather than, say, a year or two ago. It's very likely related to the Lunar Capital power stone that Sumireko had (and that Marisa stole), but the scenarios don't say what the exact relationship between the two is, either.

Unless you mean that I have to wait for the full game, in which case, well, I reached the same conclusion.

I did get to learn from Reisen's scenario that the Dream World is apparently a path that the rabbits use to travel between the moon and Gensokyo, so that's pretty neat.

Mamizou's animal card is the gift that keeps on giving.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
So, from what I played, RNG bulls**t doesn't feel as terrible as in Soku, but man, they should make it a little less opaque and visible because some of them take the whole screen. At one point my friend and I had to stop to check where we were.

Also, timer flashing in the middle of the screen is really distracting.

Other than that, I'm having fun so far. Shinmyoumaru is adorbs. :3

That's... a bakebake...
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Ozzter

Huh, I hadn't seen those from Mamizou yet. Is there one for each character or just those four? Kasen-snake is pretty great.

Huh, I hadn't seen those from Mamizou yet. Is there one for each character or just those four? Kasen-snake is pretty great.

Here's a video of the transformations for the characters from HM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10zpc9krSQs
I think I can safely say it's my favorite thing in the whole game. (...aside from the part where you proceed to beat them up. ・A・)