Author Topic: Potrait of disastrous danmaku  (Read 2312 times)

Matteo

Potrait of disastrous danmaku
« on: October 10, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
download link:  http://www.bulletforge.org/u/matteo/p/potrait-of-disastrous-danmaku/v/01

video(since you can't use continues, looking the video is a spoiler...i warn you)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcLmqwk79SI&feature=youtu.be

Description:

Potrait of disastrous danmaku, a PoDD parody.

A huge piramid-shaped flying spaceship appeared suddenly in Gensokyo. Our heroes went to discover it's secrets, but the door to the inner chambers was closed.

On the door, there was something written:

" Only the two strongest creature in the world can pass trought this door. True power can be obtained only in battle, and more than 1 spellcard is a sign of weakness"

Our heroes understand very well what they have to do : old style battles, showing raw power and using wisely only 1 spellcard.

And here you comes, a ordinary human, aided by Nitori who gave you a jetpack. Now that you don't have to loose energy in flying, you think you are able to beat all of them, with Nitori, and discover what's inside that spaceship.

And so it begins! First match is you & Nitori vs Team Silver Moon.

On a side note... Team 1 (Silver Moon) is a parody of kotohime!

Team 1 description: " A spoiled princess dreaming of usless requests. A immortal maiden seeking for her deepest dream. "

-----------------------------------------

So, this is the start of the project. You have to fight against the other team and win each battle in order to gain acces to the spaceship. Raw power will be used in battle, and only 1 spellcard...usually put at the end or in the middle.
Also, who use the spellcard can't enter the fight.

So each team has two kind of player:

1- a bomber (who use only the spellcard)

2- the fighter.

Also, 0 continue allowed. It will be challenging, i warn you. (Use reimuA for now).

Enjoy! I hope you like it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:20:13 PM by Matteo »

Zil

Re: Potrait of disastrous danmaku
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:31:07 AM »
Phases have too much health in my opinion. It would be fine if they had just enough to go through each pattern once.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »
Hey Matteo, good to see you around again.

What happened to your previous project(s) btw? Decided not to work on them any more?

Matteo

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »
Zil, phases are made so that you can beat each phase after you face it art least 2 times. Think like this : instead of 1 pattern for 40 seconds (like you see in many spells) , here you have 3 patterns repeated twice. If i did not repeat them, the fight would end too soon. Also, it has to be challenging : the patterns repeated 2 times means that if you survived only by luck one time, the second time you won't be so luck.

Helepolis...sadly i know. I am trying to decide if keeping them on or not. I guess you are asking this because i opened another thread for this, am i right?

Zil

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 01:01:59 PM »
Well I admit it's a been a very long time since I played a Windows Touhou game, but I'm fairly certain most patterns don't last 40 seconds. It's usually 15 to 20 seconds for a spell and maybe 10 seconds for a nonspell. Not to say that you can't have phases that long, and I definitely agree with the idea of splitting them up as you have, but you're still getting roughly 30 seconds of each individual pattern, which, in my opinion, is quite a lot for one pattern. If you want each to be faced twice, then I think it would be better to shorten them to last maybe 10 seconds each time. I think it would "flow" better, if you will. But that's just my own opinion of course.

And I guess I'm somewhat opposed to the idea of extended duration as a prominent source of difficulty, but that's neither here nor there.

Matteo

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
Zil, i have to say that these are good points. It seems we have different positions and ideas, but sure what you suggest is worth a try.

I will try to follow your idea next time, and test it to see if it works. Because remember : patterns too short can be good but could also be seen as a random bunch of various attacks. The result is a different feeling of the whole boss battle.

Think of Shinki or Yumeko, for example. Their battles would be so fun if they did all the patterns in like 20 seconds without repeating them? No.

I am not saying that i am right : i am simply trying to obtain a feeling of pc-98 like battles in these scripts.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »
I guess you are asking this because i opened another thread for this, am i right?
No not this time, I was just generally curious because you said it would've been a full game.

Matteo

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 02:28:48 PM »
Oh, well i'm working on it also. It's only that with only a few feedback that i recive, i really find it hard to understand if i'm making something that please also the other players and not only me.

Because i may script for fun (and i do, even if i don't post here all i do) , but here i like to post only things that could interest the users. Else, i would only waste space on the forum, posting useless rubbish. But seeing that my works barely recive comments or similar, i usually think that i'm doing something wrong. This explain the "delays", meaning that i am the first to be unsure if posting something or not.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 02:35:35 PM »
I see. Well I have been promoting and saying to people to finish their work first before posting screenshots/videos/works. Unless they are small scripts, they are always welcome. Have you checked my own game thread? It also receives no posts/messages either. Which is logical because there is nothing to be shown for years. I am still working on it :V. There is no reason for people to spam it with random messages if the game is nowhere near completion.

Regarding scripts. Wouldn't claim them all to be rubbish. I don't judge scripts and I don't reject scripts unless they really break the forum rules in some sort. Newbie or experts scripts are all welcome here. My job is to maintain and regulate people's threads. I don't do reviewing in general.

Finally, I would heavily motivate to finish something first. Announcements are fine, but the end goal is to have some working and playable. If you're making a full game, try to keep that goal and not giving up.

Matteo

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
Good point. Ok then, i will post the game once ended than. And this PoDD parody too.

Zil

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »
I am not saying that i am right : i am simply trying to obtain a feeling of pc-98 like battles in these scripts.
I thought so, and that's something I'd really like to see. Ignore my first post here then, but let me say a bit about this, since you bring up Yumeko and Shinki...

Most "attack phases" in Mystic Square consist of two patterns, which are used alternately until the phase ends, each one taking about 2 or 3 seconds to execute, and you'll usually have to dodge them 3 or 4 times before the phase ends. Take for example Shinki's first phase. She shoots a bunch of circles around, which only takes a second or two, then she shoots a single spiral pattern, then the circles again, then the spiral, etc. The whole phase certainly doesn't take much longer than 15 seconds, and she'll probably use each pattern 4 or 5 times. Then her next phase has two different patterns (a random spread and then an aimed lane of bullets), and again she uses each with similar frequency.

My point then is that while you've captured an aspect of the PC-98 style - the repeated cycling through a selection of patterns - you're missing the pace of the gameplay, and that, as I see it, is one of the key differences between the older and newer games. I think, personally, that you could shorten each pattern to 5 seconds or so, and use each one 3 times before the phase ends. And something which would be really ideal would be getting some interesting overlap between the patterns in such a way that they support each other, so that the transition itself is it's own unique challenge.

Of course, it's your creation, so you decide what to do. As an avid PC-98 fanboy, I just felt compelled to give my thoughts on it. Whatever you do, I'll look forward to seeing it. It's not every day PoDD gets a parody.

Matteo

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »
I like your ideas Zil. Well, what you say about the pace of the battle really makes me a bit sad...because :

1- you are right

2- i usually am one to praise the fast pace of pc-98 games and here...it seems i failed a bit on this point. Well, next battles will be more fast and hopefully fulfilling.

By the way, i too love pc-98. I almost play only those games. I'm a hard-lunatic player of LLS and in these days i'm aiming to become skilled enough to beat PoDD and SoEW on hard or lunatic